• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

Im a monk. Can I get a Cain's set for 200K gold? lol. Thanks for your help I'll will be adding you when I log in.

Yeah 200k would be enough. Leveling gear can be quite cheap. You shouldn't be overspending until you hit level 60, and even then you can do lots of good gearing for cheap/GAF hand me downs

turnbuckle

By the time you are in he'll its generally better to ditch cains and put on gear that will allow you to most quickly get through mp5-10. 2 mp levels is worth more than the set bonus, and the dps and ehp of cains can make hell he'll.

kennah

By the time you are in he'll its generally better to ditch cains and put on gear that will allow you to most quickly get through mp5-10. 2 mp levels is worth more than the set bonus, and the dps and ehp of cains can make hell he'll.

He asked for quickest way. I didn't even think that anyone would play at less than MP 9 or 10 before Inferno.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So how does one "play" Inferno now? Since I don't have money to buy AH gear, should I just play MP0 through Act 4 and then go back and start MP1 farming? Or do I just muscle through MP1 from the get go?

Vicros

For those of you interested in the specifics of that sweeping wind trick, go here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/diablo/wiki/monksnapshot

Thanks Raticus!

This is fantastic.

It's the same build skill-wise I was using to exp grind, but this snapshot/swap gives a very noticeable actual dps increase even though my paper dps is only 105k. With this I can do exp runs on MP2 faster than I could on MP0 before. More testing will be required to see if MP3 is worth it from an efficiency standpoint. Probably not.

One thing I would recommend though - If you're using this trick on MP2 or lower you should probably use firestorm instead of cyclone strike. Everything will die before you can even spawn a tornado, so you might as well take the extended radius on the SW. CS is great for single target, but at this easy difficulty you might as well hit as many enemies as possible in the least amount of time.

It really is something. I think a cool part about the build is how survivable you become too. The LS on the snapshot makes RD on MP7 a breeze.

In playing around I think I like cyclone strike on higher mp more than tempest rush.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
rumours of news on this week? (nerfs & buffs for all, yeah!!!!!)
Been speculating since thanksgiving...I think blizzard gave up post release features and packing everything in the next expansion. I doubt the sales will be high as they expect considering how much ad word of mouth this game got in 2012

turnbuckle

Wish there was a safe, easy-ish way to sell my account. Easily have over a grand worth of stuff on my account, in my stash, and on my characters combined.

Not sure about selling an account. Just sell the gear piece by piece and thyen sell the gold. Gold sells as fast as you put it up.

I've actually worked my way into not caring about a OWE nerf. I only have two or three pieces with a double stack of res. My base AR is almost 600 right now.

So I managed to get to level 60 (1) last night and finished inferno act 1 because I was in a good party. What should I be doing now in the game? I have very little gold and crappy gear.

turnbuckle

Not sure about selling an account. Just sell the gear piece by piece and thyen sell the gold. Gold sells as fast as you put it up.

I've actually worked my way into not caring about a OWE nerf. I only have two or three pieces with a double stack of res. My base AR is almost 600 right now.

That's the problem, I'm so easily lured back into the game that spending time selling stuff on the AH will likely draw me back in. Especially considering I have so many friends (well, about 8 real life friends, 40-50 Gaf and in-game friends).

Also, a lot of what I have to sell can be sort of big ticket items but may take a day days or over a week to sell. I was down to 8 million gold last week and now I'm at over 750m with over $160 in my RMAH account from auction sales :p

Stormshields are where it's at! Using the sweeping wind trick and equipping a 10% crit, 32 block stormshield made soloing Ubers on MP8 a cinch. I'm not sure if that's part of why they sell for so much, but man they're a gold mine. They've been selling a little slower since the PVP news, but just today I sold one for 210 million gold that I had purchased for 100 million. Sold about 8 in the last week.

Making a monk has been highly profitable for me too. I've been really lucky but I found an inna's chest that I bought for 85 million gold and sold it a day later for $73

Bought an Inna's radiance for 20 million gold on 1d12h that had 170+ dex, 73 All Res, 1.6 spirit regen, 95ish vitality, 5.5 crit. Seeing similar ones going for hundreds of millions, but it'd take awhile for me to sell that on the rmah.

I should just delete my characters and play the AH game lol

So is this game worth coming back to?

It has imprioved. Though I would imagine coming back would have to do with reasons on why you left.

I you were mad at progression, being punished for partying or the amount of legendaries that dropped, then things have been greatly improved.

If you were made because you though the itemization wasn't worth the effort, then things are only very slightly better with an upgrade to legendaries at 1.0.4.

That's the problem, I'm so easily lured back into the game that spending time selling stuff on the AH will likely draw me back in. Especially considering I have so many friends (well, about 8 real life friends, 40-50 Gaf and in-game friends).

Also, a lot of what I have to sell can be sort of big ticket items but may take a day days or over a week to sell. I was down to 8 million gold last week and now I'm at over 750m with over $160 in my RMAH account from auction sales :p

Stormshields are where it's at! Using the sweeping wind trick and equipping a 10% crit, 32 block stormshield made soloing Ubers on MP8 a cinch. I'm not sure if that's part of why they sell for so much, but man they're a gold mine. They've been selling a little slower since the PVP news, but just today I sold one for 210 million gold that I had purchased for 100 million. Sold about 8 in the last week.

Making a monk has been highly profitable for me too. I've been really lucky but I found an inna's chest that I bought for 85 million gold and sold it a day later for $73

Bought an Inna's radiance for 20 million gold on 1d12h that had 170+ dex, 73 All Res, 1.6 spirit regen, 95ish vitality, 5.5 crit. Seeing similar ones going for hundreds of millions, but it'd take awhile for me to sell that on the rmah.

I should just delete my characters and play the AH game lol

If you're serious about quitting, sell whatever you can in a couple days and raffle the rest off. Have a GAF / friend / wherever else you post raffle for ths stuff that doesn't sell. It sounds like you've made a good chunk of coin already! :p

Personally ... I would rather sell me gear than my character. If I ever had to come back, I wouldn't want to start compeltely over. Especially with the paragon grinding. I'm assuming you would want to play if a really cool patch came out and probably when the expansion comes too.

Eccocid

Do stuff like Inna's set pieces really drop?
Do u have to be like paragon 60 and play at MP 10 to get items like that?
I have reached to 60 with 2 classes (barb and DH) and at paragon 6 with DH...But it is so boring now. Inferno is not challenging anymore and MP levels are just a hassle with their buffed hps. It takes forever to kill things. Kiting around them with sentry turrents in the middle gets boring quite fast lol.

I think i have seen it all. I wish Blizzard was a more productive company and could released some new areas and enemies sooner.

I'm wearing the inna's helm I found and the nats ring I've found so yeah. I've probably found 2-5 pieces of each set so far too.

Though if you don't like farming in inferno you won't see one.

Have you tried ring farming?

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Do stuff like Inna's set pieces really drop?
Inna's is the set that I get the most frequently. I've earned the achievement for completing a set by getting each of the Inna's pieces to drop at least once. 1 daibo, 2 belts, 2 pants, 3+ chests, 4+ hats. Other sets rarely come around for me. Just got some Nat's boots yesterday. I've had a few IK pieces. Tals? Nope.
Do u have to be like paragon 60 and play at MP 10 to get items like that?
No. A3M0 is the area and difficulty at which many who still play the game farm at constantly.
I have reached to 60 with 2 classes (barb and DH) and at paragon 6 with DH...But it is so boring now. Inferno is not challenging anymore and MP levels are just a hassle with their buffed hps. It takes forever to kill things. Kiting around them with sentry turrents in the middle gets boring quite fast lol.
Right. The key is to find the right MP so that you are challenged but not overwhelmed.
I think i have seen it all. I wish Blizzard was a more productive company and could released some new areas and enemies sooner.
Yes, more map randomization is my #1 concern which I want them to address.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Ok guys, I have a few questions. Since I've never really tried to "experience" the end-game (as can be seen on my DH in profile below), I was hoping for a few tips.

1). Here's my profile:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/nicoga3000-1757/hero/14921167

I have only ~400k gold, so I don't have much. What should I be working towards gear wise?

2). Should I aim to clear MP0 and then start farming MP1 for gear? Or should I just jump on MP1 ASAP?

3). Is there a good list of stats to watch for on drops? I've literally been selling any ilvl 62 or less, and stashing 63 just in case. No clue what I'm looking for though.

4). And I have to ask - are ponies even worth doing? I love the bonus level shit, but if it gives no real benefit to running, I probably won't bother anytime soon.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
1). Here's my profile:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/nicoga3000-1757/hero/14921167

I have only ~400k gold, so I don't have much. What should I be working towards gear wise?
Critical Chance, Increased Attack Speed, Critical Hit Damage
CC, IAS, CHD

This is what's referred to singularly as "trifecta" when people talk about a single gear piece.

Build up enough defense so that you don't get one-hit killed by whatever enemies you intend to regularly face. D3 purely rewards offense over defense now.

2). Should I aim to clear MP0 and then start farming MP1 for gear? Or should I just jump on MP1 ASAP?
Act 3 and Act 4 is fine for MP0. Acts 1 and 2 require MP1 to ensure L63 drops.

The first goal is comfortably running A3M0. Nobody farms A4 because the layout sucks. Once you've build up enough, run A1 or A2 for diversity.

Run with groups if you want to do key warden hunts or uber runs. Higher MP the better there, and much less efficient to do so solo regardless.

3). Is there a good list of stats to watch for on drops? I've literally been selling any ilvl 62 or less, and stashing 63 just in case. No clue what I'm looking for though.
That's a mistake.

Item affix values roll on the basis of the monster's level from which they're dropped as opposed to the item's level.

Pay attention to the affix values and pay no attention to the item's level.

IAS is still basically king.
CC.
CHD.

Weapons - Sockets. Life leech (X% of damage is gained as life). IAS. CHD. Primaries (STR DEX INT).
Jewelry - Trifectas. Minimum and Maximum Damage. LOH maybe. AR, primaries, vit on the lower end.
Other - Triple digit primary. AR. Vit. Dual resist (AR plus single element resist) might help.
Shields - Worthless.

An easier way to price items you find -

Right click on the item while in the auction house, to "Search for similar items". X out all but 3 which matter. Search and sort by cheapest, and assume that your item won't sell for more than 50% less than what's cheapest. The above stated affixes usually matter. Affixes which don't matter -
Thorns, globes, crowd control, status ailment on hit (freeze on hit, stun on hit, &c.), life regeneration, life on kill, % damage reduction from melee/ranged, % life (doesn't command a premium), arguably magic find (I consider it snake oil), +armor (important but nobody prices for it).

4). And I have to ask - are ponies even worth doing?
No. The map layout sucks and enemy placement is sparse. Nobody does it.

I do the ponies for shits and giggles occasionally when doing act I key runs. Always a full stack and its a fun change of pace every now and then.

Other than that, completely worthless. I remember when chests weren't nerfed and everyone ran around hitting clouds.

Pepto

Banned
Wow - thank you. Thank you SO much for this!

Your spec is pretty bad. You have four different attack spells when you only need max two. The very high mp specs dont use any direct attack spells at all.

Spirit walk and soul harvest are great, but if you are mainly using poison dart and acid cloud you should get rid of toads and bears. Toads are mainly used if you have life on hit and bears require a specific spec that can refill your mana constantly. If you can spam bears then get rid of acid cloud.

If you want to farm higher monster powers you could use pets to tank for you. Dogs and the gargantuan can tank pretty much any enemy in mp0-3.

Also I feel that attack speed is pretty bad for witch doctors because the mana cost of good damage spells goes way up with it. Much better to use crit chance & crit damage.

V_Arnold

Been speculating since thanksgiving...I think blizzard gave up post release features and packing everything in the next expansion. I doubt the sales will be high as they expect considering how much ad word of mouth this game got in 2012

That does not make much sense.
Blizzard has one chance of making the expansion sell 4+ million copies, if not less.
And that is if the users are the happiest with the current D3 when the expansion comes.
If they do not fix almost anything that needs fixing (skills, reliance on weapon damage, plus endgame content, lack of pvp for some, crafting, missing artisan, real gem variety), they will just as well not release any expansion for the game :p

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Your spec is pretty bad. You have four different attack spells when you only need max two. The very high mp specs dont use any direct attack spells at all.

Spirit walk and soul harvest are great, but if you are mainly using poison dart and acid cloud you should get rid of toads and bears. Toads are mainly used if you have life on hit and bears require a specific spec that can refill your mana constantly. If you can spam bears then get rid of acid cloud.

If you want to farm higher monster powers you could use pets to tank for you. Dogs and the gargantuan can tank pretty much any enemy in mp0-3.

Also I feel that attack speed is pretty bad for witch doctors because the mana cost of good damage spells goes way up with it. Much better to use crit chance & crit damage.

I've not really run into many problems with my spec, but I can definitely investigate options. What options do you have to keep mana high?

I use poison dart more because it's just what I've used since level 1. It seems to work out for me. Bears with spirit walk and soul harvest pretty much allow me to run into any pack and stomp them. Acid cloud is there for picking off mobs as I wander, and toads are largely for hitting over wallers. Toads is definitely a wasted slot at the moment.

As for my passives, I haven't touched them in a while, but Grave Injustice makes packs with elites mixed in a joke (CD nearly resets). My only problem is mana regen, but I'm not sure (as I stated above) how to keep it topped off for bear spam.

I typically avoid pets since they were SO bad at release. Are they more viable now? How does one "build" pets to keep them alive?

Belgorim

Is there anyone doing key-runs and such on EU? I can kill the wardens (though slowly) at MP5-6 solo, but it takes forever and I dont think I can take on the Bosses alone at that MP. Have 2 machines saved up.

Pepto

Banned
I've not really run into many problems with my spec, but I can definitely investigate options. What options do you have to keep mana high?

I'm using Grave Injustice, Gruesome Feast, Sacrifice and Zunimassa's set for mana and it still isn't enough for acid rain spam. I think if I switched my Soul Harvest to harvest mana I could spam acid rain/bears all day.

I use poison dart more because it's just what I've used since level 1. It seems to work out for me. Bears with spirit walk and soul harvest pretty much allow me to run into any pack and stomp them. Acid cloud is there for picking off mobs as I wander, and toads are largely for hitting over wallers. Toads is definitely a wasted slot at the moment.

As for my passives, I haven't touched them in a while, but Grave Injustice makes packs with elites mixed in a joke (CD nearly resets). My only problem is mana regen, but I'm not sure (as I stated above) how to keep it topped off for bear spam.

Vision Quest got nerfed super hard and almost made the bears build unpractical. I dropped VQ/bears when VQ got nerfed. Pierce the veil was good before the VQ nerf, but I feel that the increase in mana costs in unreasonable without the godlike VQ.

I typically avoid pets since they were SO bad at release. Are they more viable now? How does one "build" pets to keep them alive?

Pets are pretty good these days. With Zombie Handler passive they are pretty much invinsible. Your cooldowns will be ready when the something kills your pets. I was using pets with dirt cheap gear before I got some gold and upgraded to acid rain build: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/BarelyOK-2277/hero/2969907

V_Arnold

Bears are still pretty much the best.

Key to efficiency with them:

Make a build with +27-32 yards pickup
Include summon dogs, sacrifice (return mana variety)
Use both Gruesome feast and Grave Injustice.

Then pick an MP level in which elites die by the time you empty your mana on them with bears once or twice (drain mana, Sacrifice dogs - full mana again, drain mana - if needed, resummon dogs and Sacrifice again). Bam, you have a godlike build.

What makes it tick is 3%+ life steal and some life on hit, though.

Pepto

Banned
Bears are still pretty much the best.

Key to efficiency with them:

Make a build with +27-32 yards pickup
Include summon dogs, sacrifice (return mana variety)
Use both Gruesome feast and Grave Injustice.

Then pick an MP level in which elites die by the time you empty your mana on them with bears once or twice (drain mana, Sacrifice dogs - full mana again, drain mana - if needed, resummon dogs and Sacrifice again). Bam, you have a godlike build.

What makes it tick is 3%+ life steal and some life on hit, though.

That is pretty much what I'm using but with acid rain instead of bears and pretty bad pickup radius (14 I think).

Bad thing about the pickup radius build is that it pretty much requires the Thing of the Deep which is very expensive. Also I don't think that bears can keep up with the highest monster powers. For them you pretty much need this build.

V_Arnold

That is pretty much what I'm using but with acid rain instead of bears and pretty bad pickup radius (14 I think).

Bad thing about the pickup radius build is that it pretty much requires the Thing of the Deep which is very expensive. Also I don't think that bears can keep up with the highest monster powers. For them you pretty much need this build.

I might have gotten lucky with my Thing of the Deep though... bought it for 2-3 million, EU :p

But yeah, they are required. Bears are useful up till mp5-6 with this (do not ask why I lack the gem in my dagger, must have gotten into one of my alt's weapons,lol -.-). But that bear build is not spamming it constantly, and has more useful summons, and manaregen passive.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
After "aren't you thankful?", any post he wrote there was just an invitation for a shitstorm. Moreso than usual, that is.

I'm only surprised that the move was made official now.

I don't think it has any impact on D3's progress or lack thereof.

Pepto

Banned
Can anyone here do übers on MP10? I would love some help making the hellfire ring and I can barely do MP5. I'm on EU btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom