• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
of course! I was using my nats gear specificially because I was in a hurry to get through those dull achievements though. It's amazing how quickly a DH can traverse an area with the discipline bonus.

Oh well, not much can be done about it. I started investing in my monk and I"m having a blast. It hurts too much to look at my DH anymore, but the monk is starting to make me forgive and forget. I'll use my barb for higher monster power stuff, but the monk is too damned good farming mp0 :p

Has your account been roll-backed before? If not, open a ticket and claim you were hacked and see if they will roll back.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i think a team deathmatch with the goal of acquiring as much loot as possible in a certain period of time would be an interesting remedy to the problem of making it compelling. Put teams of people on a map in an area and have them go through killing all the mobs they can and trying to kill each other to steal each other's loot and mobs etc.

wouldnt be bad for 5 minute rounds and you wouldn't really "care" too much about getting one shot because its either waste time killing players or get loot off mobs.

Anustart

I'm sadly a little bored with the barb but I will try to roll a decent WD and we can go with mp6 or more or something I cant wait to duel you and get owned lol... I'll need to go to stupidstop and get a bizzcard cant get dat bil item lol......:p

Dueling soon :) I haven't found a good item in so long :(

windz

Kinda stopped playing the past few weeks. Been on LoL and Civ V a bit. Dunno, decided endlessly grinding to simply fill the gold funds just wasn't worth it at the time. Kinda miss it in a weird sort of way :p.

SRTtoZ

So I got back into the game since I took a few months break and having fun again. I made the mistake of grinding/farming MP5-6 instead of the faster MP0-1-2. Since the switch ive been gettin much more xp and waaay more legendaries. Today was a pretty good day because I found a 200m ammy and a 50m ring but my question is; which AH is more active? I have no interest in making real life money but I also dont mind selling on the RMAH and then converting the money to gold. I just want to know which AH I would have the most success (meaning faster selling).

The build I'm playing with my monk right now is hilarious. A friend showed me the weapon swap trick with sweeping wind. I'm running on mp2 with no defensive passives. I needed the full inna's set for spamming SW. I'm running around with tempest rush just plowing through stuff. If there's any monks that don't know what I'm talking about, let me know and I'll explain further. It's hilariously fast and fun.

kennah

I tagged along a MP10 group last week with a similar setup. Between the Freeze, Stun Lock and his 3.5 million DPS - we got all three uber fights done in 8 minutes.

SRTtoZ

Made about 200m with yesterdays drops and switched out some Nats pieces for Innas and gained 25k dps and now im at 230kdps unbuffed. My goal tomorrow is to farm some more and figure out how to get near 300k without spending hundreds of mils per piece. After that I gotta start working on my xp ring so I can finally hit 100 paragon. Damn, im addicted again. If anyone wants to tag along my farming route feel free to add me, SRTtoZ#1579.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Kinda stopped playing the past few weeks. Been on LoL and Civ V a bit. Dunno, decided endlessly grinding to simply fill the gold funds just wasn't worth it at the time. Kinda miss it in a weird sort of way :p.

You run Archon right? I switched over to Blizzard about 20 levels ago and feel it's slightly faster and I had to "re-learn" the class a little which re-invigorated my interest.

About to hit P86. Will probably level twice a week going forward to 100...

I'm new and I play monk, can you explain the trick please?

You need the inn's set bonus. With the bonus you can spam SW. It still works without the set bonus, but would be a giant pain in the ass.

Passives ... Fleet foot > exalted soul > chant of resonance.

You'll want the 3 spirit a second here and you'll want to break the 24% movement barrier.

Skills ... Thunderclap > tempest rush( less spirit rune) > blinding faith (dmg rune)> breath of heaven (dmg rune)> mantra of conviction(dmg rune) > sweeping wind (cyclone)

The basic idea is that SW takes a "snapshot" of your character when cast and uses that for its dmg calculations. Get a slow 2h mace w/ as much DMG as possible, a soc, ls% and native crit. The life steal is included in this "snapshot" as well. So are any buffs you have active. Which is why you're gonna cast blinding faith and breath of heaven before you cast SW.

You'll want a dagger as well. Get one with IAS, soc and LOH. Get a shield too. The shield helps make up for any sacrifices to all res and vit by getting the inna's set. It also gives more Crit%.

For some reason when you swap from the 2h to a dagger/shield, SW still uses all of the "snapshot" stuff but also uses the new increased IAS proc rate and the result is crazy damage output. The higher your APS after the swap the better. It's also using that Ls% from the "snapshot" so it's healing you well too.

So you cast BoH then BF then SW with your 2h for the snapshot. Then you quickly swap from the 2h to the dagger set up. Then you can start spamming sweeping wind every two seconds while you move from fight to fight to keep it active. You can use tempest rush to mow over packs of greys and to move between empty space with no mobs/elites. When you run into an elite cast BF and MoC and watch them melt.

I'm a little fuzzy on the details of why it works, I just know it works. It's more effective than my old set up that had 128k dps base. (With my knife I only have 77 now lol) you melt through stuff and do so quickly with fleet foot and tempest rush. It's a lot of fun.

Does SW only take the snapshot when you first cast it? I thought it took another snapshot when you refresh it before it ends. I think I just assumed that though.

Only if it ends. If a cast is to keep it active the snapshot stays in place.

Edit: at least that's how I was taught and how it feels. It's much more effective with 50k less dps on the same mp level and I never reset, I spam the whole way.

Edit: at least that's how I was taught and how it feels. It's much more effective with 50k less dps on the same mp level and I never reset, I spam the whole way.

Good to know. I always got annoyed when I accidentally refreshed after Blazing Wrath went down because I didn't know that.

Got a Barb to 55 in the last couple of days. I really need to play around with the other skills, but I just like Leaping into a pile, Rending, then WW until they die. This doesn't work so well on a lot of elites.

damisa

I have 6 infernal machines. Looking for strong people to fight the ubers with me MP8+. My barb can tank on MP8 by himself, but my DPS isn't that high.

Damisa#1428

turnbuckle

Thats how it works. Been playing around with a lot of different ways to use this, and it's a ton of fun.

Cipherr

Anyone seen this:

h6OUS.jpg

I didn't play much D2, but man.... its hard to disagree with that image. I can probably understand a little more why people are so furious with the games itemization if D2 really was handled as well as that image depicts it. Im assuming the creator didnt cherry pick those examples to make D2 look better than it actually was.

The basic idea is that SW takes a "snapshot" of your character when cast and uses that for its dmg calculations. Get a slow 2h mace w/ as much DMG as possible, a soc, ls% and native crit. The life steal is included in this "snapshot" as well. So are any buffs you have active. Which is why you're gonna cast blinding faith and breath of heaven before you cast SW. You'll want a dagger as well. Get one with IAS, soc and LOH. Get a shield too. The shield helps make up for any sacrifices to all res and vit by getting the inna's set. It also gives more Crit%.

For some reason when you swap from the 2h to a dagger/shield, SW still uses all of the "snapshot" stuff but also uses the new increased IAS proc rate and the result is crazy damage output. The higher your APS after the swap the better. It's also using that Ls% from the "snapshot" so it's healing you well too.

Are there any videos of this in action?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Ugh - been trying to finish the trebuchet quest in Act 3 Hell, but I keep getting random disconnects when I'm nearly done with it. I've tried 4 times now. What gives? Anyone else having client issues?

Cipherr

Wow that image.. hits the nail on the head hard.

The fact that the first image uses an Andarials Visage from D2, then the one in D3 for the example is just salt in the wound. Jesus fucking Christ man... Lol @ all the classes going "NICE HELM!" in D2, and all but 2 classes going "Thats garbage" in D3.

Anyone seen this:

I didn't play much D2, but man.... its hard to disagree with that image. I can probably understand a little more why people are so furious with the games itemization if D2 really was handled as well as that image depicts it. Im assuming the creator didnt cherry pick those examples to make D2 look better than it actually was.

Are there any videos of this in action?

Image is pretty damning ... Lol

Not sure about a video. I dont know what the build name is called. Come play a game with me!

Rufus

^ If items like that are worthless now I don't want to go back to softcore.

About that comparison image... Yeah... The weapon thing is especially funny to me, considering Blizzard's comments and reasoning for making elemental damage irrelevant.

One thing that's not mentioned: Resistances.
Since they aren't capped, separate resistances might as well not exist (except if you're a Monk using OWE). Items can have 80 AllRes, single resistances stop at, what, 60? Arcane, fire and physical are useful, but you'll never get those high enough to compete with AllRes. Single resistances are essentially a troll stat now.

This is why it still feels good to level 1-60, barring any mind numbing tedium you might feel going through the content again. Items don't need to be perfect and now that Inferno has been nerfed so much you don't even need amazing gear to finish it. Turns out spinning the wheel for a perfect or near perfect set of stats isn't all that enjoyable in and of itself... Not in this game, anyway.

Yeah, part of the fun for me is the combat. This new build is making things interesting again. Mad at myself for not starting earlier.

I could see how you enjoy 1-60 without the grind for the perfect roll.

Talaysen

One thing about that image is that it says that Diablo 2 allowing you to allocate stat points is why stats weren't as important on loot. That's not really true. The reason stats were less important on loot in Diablo 2 is because Diablo 2 loot HAD LESS STATS (and more other things that were also useful). An endgame piece of armor in Diablo 3 can give you more of your primary stat than all 60 of your levels. That and the fact there aren't really many other things that are useful on armor (basically just all res on most pieces) is the reason.

Well and the fact that non-primary stats don't help much, but it mentions that.

I guess I'm tired of people putting Diablo 2's stat system on some holy pedastal when it wasn't really that good and Diablo 3 getting rid of it was nice. It gives people the illusion of freedom but also makes it possible to ruin your character and have to start over. Or make you start over if your stat build gets nerfed. Or you don't like it. That's not fun.

Likewise, the thing about DPS being the most important on a weapon is misleading. Everything being based on weapon damage does make it important, but that's not the bigger problem here. The problem is that the difference between the base damage of the weapon and the maximum it can roll is too large. If +damage didn't exist on weapons, people wouldn't care about the DPS much! Essentially what happened was they made a bunch of affix rolls (+damage of many flavors) and they're pretty much required on a weapon to be good. That's not a flaw in the game mechanics, that's a flaw in the affix pool.

It was kind of lame when you had characters who didn't even use the damage of the weapon in Diablo 2. I don't really see that as a great thing. (I see the same problem in many RPGs, where mages don't care about the damage of their weapons because they will never use them.)

Other than that, I do agree with most of the image. The loot definitely needs work. I just think that the game mechanics are fine and only the loot needs to change, outside of a buff to what the three stats do to take some emphasis off of primary stat.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
the only thing that image tells me is that they designed diablo iii to be simpler.

- the gear you might want to equip is compartmentalized into whether or not it has your primary stat, meaning you dont have 3 times as many things to have to look at.

- they dont have "skill points" so they make you want to get life etc through your gear rather than adding through your skills, which makes gear more "uniform" and easier to pick

- lower level loot being "best in slot" is a funky idea that would keep people from wanting to attempt the higher level difficulties in diablo iii

- build diversity could also be construed as "needless complexity" since the build diversity they seemingly WANTED you to care about was your actionable skills, rather than your gear.

- and while i can agree with the "having more options for gems," even there, saying that there should be 40 more choices is obvious why they didnt include that either -- it makes it more complex.

Raptomex

So I haven't played this game in a really long time now. Did they patch out all the problems? Also is loot worth while now or do they still want you to focus on the auction nonsense?

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
So I haven't played this game in a really long time now. Did they patch out all the problems? Also is loot worth while now or do they still want you to focus on the auction nonsense?

Yes.
Don't have to, can found a few decent upgrades every now and then but also could find cheap upgrades since the market is saturated

Rufus

Well, if it's a foregone conclusion that complexity is bad, then sure, I can see why they avoided it at every junction. Shame it doesn't seem to help the game a whole lot.

Raptomex

Yes.
Don't have to, can found a few decent upgrades every now and then but also could find cheap upgrades since the market is saturated
I don't have to use the auction house? I have no intention of using it. But that's what kept me from playing at launch. The focus on good loot being so rare you're better off in the auction house.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
I don't have to use the auction house? I have no intention of using it. But that's what kept me from playing at launch. The focus on good loot being so rare you're better off in the auction house.

Depends on what you mean by "good loot". Can you gear yourself to beat the game solo Inferno MP0 without the AH? No problem. MP10? Highly unlikely unless you wanna spend 500+ hours.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Finally 60 on my WD! I'll finish Act 4 either later tonight or tomorrow morning. And then it's onto Inferno!

E: Special thanks to kennah for that bitchin sword that's allowed me to stomp through the game up to this point. I'll make sure to give it back soon(ish)!

Man Im off to a bad start. I spent a lot of gold upgrading the blacksmith, which I found out is useless. I wasted gold at the AH by accidentally buying 2 of the same weapon when you can only equip one. On top of all that my gear really sucks.

Anustart

I would love to drop this thing of the deep and grab a 10cc Zuni SoS, but I would then lose all my PuR. If I can find two pieces of equipment with stats same as mine but with 7 PuR on each, my dream may finally come true.

All this because I like the look of Deva helms and want to wear one and get rid of the hideous Zuni Vision.... Not to mention that a Deva can roll mana regen and cc, so theres that.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
So what is Legacy gear?

Old versions of legendary gear. Prior to 1.0.4 legendaries were mostly crap, so Blizzard revamped every single one of them, buffing their DPS, adding special affixes such as random spell cast (which in the end turned out to be uselessly underpowered anyway), affixes that don't normally go on that piece of gear (such as movement speed on bracers, a socket on boots...). Legacy stuff should be avoided at all costs. There might be literally 1 or 2 legacy legendaries which can be somewhat useful, but I wouldn't bet on that. Stick to current legendaries.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Old versions of legendary gear. Prior to 1.0.4 legendaries were mostly crap, so Blizzard revamped every single one of them, buffing their DPS, adding special affixes such as random spell cast (which in the end turned out to be uselessly underpowered anyway), affixes that don't normally go on that piece of gear (such as movement speed on bracers, a socket on boots...). Legacy stuff should be avoided at all costs. There might be literally 1 or 2 legacy legendaries which can be somewhat useful, but I wouldn't bet on that. Stick to current legendaries.

Ah, OK. I won't bother with them, then. Thanks!

This game really does enjoy torturing you. This dropped for me today, just as I was thinking "right, can't be bothered anymore"

jbaL2wEKuKCNr9.jpg

+11k damage for me, so I'm keeping it, but can I get a price check? EU servers

kennah

Thanks. Whats the fastest way to lvl from 50 to 60? Im also poor and dont have great gear.
Now that you are level 50 buy some cheap reduced level gear If you haven't already get a Cain's set and put a ruby in your helm. You'll get those ten levels in no time. Add me kennah#1358 and i'll gear you up a little. What class?

Now that you are level 50 buy some cheap reduced level gear If you haven't already get a Cain's set and put a ruby in your helm. You'll get those ten levels in no time. Add me kennah#1358 and i'll gear you up a little. What class?

Im a monk. Can I get a Cain's set for 200K gold? lol. Thanks for your help I'll will be adding you when I log in. Do I need all 4 set pieces or just 3 for the exp bonus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom