• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I think the console "ladder" could have an appeal of its own - could be fun to have a fresh start in an environment without all the super secret exploits from launch. It's just a shame that it's so much easier now.

Savvy traders will make a killing, whether they have RMAH or third party. Actually, I might pick it up for that reason alone - a bit of remote AH on the vita, we'll see.

Wickwire

All these new archon patterns kind of ruined the game for me. All the drops are so far from the quality of what you can craft it's starting to feel like i'm just farming gold to craft more. I wish they just made drops better.

turnbuckle

All these new archon patterns kind of ruined the game for me. All the drops are so far from the quality of what you can craft it's starting to feel like i'm just farming gold to craft more. I wish they just made drops better.

Agreed. I don't even bother playing anymore. Sometimes you could get a drop that would sell for several million or a few bucks if they were pretty good shoulders or a decent chest or even some "bi-fecta" gloves with a main stat and either vit or all res.

It's not that the game is ruined because the ah isn't as fun anymore, but rather because items on the ground now are more worthless than ever. Sitting at the blacksmith gambling on uninspired gear is incredibly shallow. If there was a small chance that you would get some extra bonus for crafting it'd be more interesting, but that would only further the problem of drops being awful.

Anywho, a blue post from the bnet forums this morning:

We wouldn’t dream of giving up on the players, in fact we are planning to tackle one of the more frequent community discussions. :) We are working on a new set of questions for “Ask the Devs” that revolves around itemization, a very popular subject here on the forums. We’re looking at doing this in March, and are very excited about the opportunity to provide some answers and insight about this subject to the community.

I've learned to dial down expectations, but we'll see what comes of this.

Raticus79

... Sitting at the blacksmith gambling on uninspired gear is incredibly shallow ...

I bought some gold on RMAH recently and used some of the leftover money to try crafting some stuff with no luck. It was a weird moment sitting there realizing I had just played a slot machine and lost.

turnbuckle

I bought some gold on RMAH recently and used some of the leftover money to try crafting some stuff with no luck. It was a weird moment sitting there realizing I had just played a slot machine and lost.

At least modern slot machines will have random bonus features that prey on a gambler's dopamine levels :p. The last one I played would randomly start spazzing out, flash a bunch of crazy colors, and 9 times out of 10 would land me in some bonus round. Nothing a player sees triggers it, just completely random. They need to do that with crafting goddammit! Part-way through the yellow crafting meter it just spazzes out, rainbow colors everywhere, and out pops an 8 affix rare with a set bonus.

I'd buy gold for that lol.

Xian

Neo Member
Turns out 3rd time's not a charm for me.
wpp23ra.png

And now I have 5m of Wizard gear in stash and can't use it. :D

turnbuckle

If I some how succumb to the PS4 version I will finally try my hands at hardcore. I have a good internet connection, but I've had a death or two caused by lag and rubberbanding on softcore and no way I would risk dozens to hundreds of hours in an online only game like that.

Even if I had google fiber you just never know when blizzard is going to have their own issues.

larvi

I've got a lvl 60 hc dh and barb. I've also lost a lvl 53 dh to a server disconnect and a lvl 33 monk to stupid play. Wizards are probably one of the hardest classes for hc, but the change to the unstable anomoly passive should help them.

J2d

My friend just bought an incredible mempo for 300k, the guy who sold it was apparently P86, I'm getting a headache just thinking about it..

Svafnir

With all the backlash of Diablo 3 being dumbed down to work on a controller I made a video of me playing Diablo 2 with a PS3 controller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vbH6GCxc-s

I assigned movement to 8 directions by using hotkeys with the left Joystick. It was very easy to switch through skills and use them, however Xsplit makes me lag and it was a bit annoying to play while recording. When not recording gameplay was smooth and I didn't even have any lag between button presses.

Overall it was very fun to play and with an actual port (real direct implementation of movement and menus) I feel even Diablo 2 would have been fine for consoles, at least as far as controls go.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I thought so too until I started playing PoE. One bad desync can be your end. Still a lot more fun than SC.

I've lost a lot of progress in PoE from desync issues. Never HC though.

Also, when is the next major patch? Or maybe the better question is what the next patch is bringing?

It's pretty obvious that D3 wasn't dumbed down so it could be ported to consoles, it was dumbed down because gamers for the last 10 years have been playing "dumbed down" console style games and that's where standard game design has gone.

Ploid 3.0

Dumbed down to appeal to the casual market, a wider audience. Which by chance also love gaming on consoles. PC is known for smart games that make you think, though I guess WoW changed Blizzards thoughts on that.

I don't know how WoW is outside of people claiming that it's casual easy. Blizzard introduce new content, and after a while Blizzard makes it easy to do that content by everyone.

turnbuckle

There is no way there wasn't some consideration for a console version when the PC version was being developed. It's been known for years that they were hiring people to work on the console version and from that time forward all the changes that have been made were ones to simplify the game. Perhaps it wasn't explicitly stated "design to make this console friendly" but they must think us naive if we're to believe there was no feedback or crosstalk between the PC and console team.

In a way it gives me some optimism for the future of the PC version though. Blizzard has said the PS3/4 version is going to have all the content of the PC version up through the latest patch, but going forward they'll likely go on different paths if crossplay isn't allowed. As it is, if I were to pick one or the other in the current form to play from scratch I'd certainly go with the console version since I'd find the simple controls more comfortable with a controller than kb+mouse and I wouldn't be tied to online only. But once the sales bump of the console versions happen I can see a recommitment to the PC version.

Of course I could be daydreaming. I quit playing WoW nearly 4 years ago and seeing the changes to the skill system afterwards has done a great deal towards making me not want to fall into that trap again.

BFIB

Thinking of jumping back in, quit before the nerf hit for Inferno.

How is the game now? Do I still need to rely on the auction house to actually get decent gear?

Thinking of jumping back in, quit before the nerf hit for Inferno.

How is the game now? Do I still need to rely on the auction house to actually get decent gear?

No. Especially if you're just trying to progress through inferno. My monk is still wearing several pieces he found. There's also the new crafting recipies.

The AH will always be a more efficient way to progress, but it's no longer a total necessity.

BFIB

No. Especially if you're just trying to progress through inferno. My monk is still wearing several pieces he found. There's also the new crafting recipies.

The AH will always be a more efficient way to progress, but it's no longer a total necessity.

Thanks! I feel my inner loot needs rising, but wanted to get some honest impressions before jumping back in.

Time to start up a witch doctor.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Went from P2 to P4 last night in a pub game while trying to mow through Act 2 on my WD. I won a Zunimassa's Marrow to complete my 4-set. Now to save up money so I can get my Hell and Inferno pony staff crafted...

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Agreed. I don't even bother playing anymore. Sometimes you could get a drop that would sell for several million or a few bucks if they were pretty good shoulders or a decent chest or even some "bi-fecta" gloves with a main stat and either vit or all res.

It's not that the game is ruined because the ah isn't as fun anymore, but rather because items on the ground now are more worthless than ever. Sitting at the blacksmith gambling on uninspired gear is incredibly shallow. If there was a small chance that you would get some extra bonus for crafting it'd be more interesting, but that would only further the problem of drops being awful.

I've learned to dial down expectations, but we'll see what comes of this.

Yeah, I haven't been impressed by Blizzard's effort so far with D3 either, so my expectations are super low. At release the game was meh overall, it's been improved somewhat by the patches, but it still just feels very lacking.

And the largest problem with the game is still the loot. It's just so boring and uninspired compared to Diablo II. I miss the extra colors of gems. I miss the special gems that did special things. I miss charms. I miss rolling gems and charms in the Horadric Cube for no gold cost at all (imagine that). I miss actually finding set items (I have over 200 hours so far and have never found a single set piece). I miss runes and runewords. I miss checking every white item to see how many sockets it had, and actually being able to use them! For endgame playing no less!!!

It's like Blizzard just didn't bother taking into account what made D2 so much damn fun while making D3.

I barely play anymore too, it just doesn't feel rewarding at all, but I still hold hope that an expansion will fix it up nicely. Because these little patches adding a few craft recipes here and there are simply not going to address the problem at all. Neither will tweaking legendary stats. Iit's going to take a whole lot more than that.

turnbuckle

Yeah, I haven't been impressed by Blizzard's effort so far with D3 either, so my expectations are super low. At release the game was meh overall, it's been improved somewhat by the patches, but it still just feels very lacking.

And the largest problem with the game is still the loot. It's just so boring and uninspired compared to Diablo II. I miss the extra colors of gems. I miss the special gems that did special things. I miss charms. I miss rolling gems and charms in the Horadric Cube for no gold cost at all (imagine that). I miss actually finding set items (I have over 200 hours so far and have never found a single set piece). I miss runes and runewords. I miss checking every white item to see how many sockets it had, and actually being able to use them! For endgame playing no less!!!

It's like Blizzard just didn't bother taking into account what made D2 so much damn fun while making D3.

I barely play anymore too, it just doesn't feel rewarding at all, but I still hold hope that an expansion will fix it up nicely. Because these little patches adding a few craft recipes here and there are simply not going to address the problem at all. Neither will tweaking legendary stats. Iit's going to take a whole lot more than that.

I agree with a lot of what you say but one difference is with the set items.

I played for probably 200 hours before I got my first one to drop. Since then I must have had 60-70 set items drop. Probably more :p. There was a time though where it felt like they were just a myth.

That said, most of the rolls on set items are still garbage (or the set bonus isn't very fun or impressive). I did get a mannajuma knife that sold for 800m pretty quickly. That one dropped within the first 10-15 minutes of me playing again after taking a few weeks off.

I haven't played for more than 5 minutes in about 2 weeks. Maybe I should do a couple quick runs tonight and see if I get another jackpot :p

This game in general does not make me want to play after beating it a few times. Its not that there isn't any end game either. The game simply does not remind me of D1/D2. It shouldn't even be called Diablo.

TL1/2 and POE is more Diablo like than D3 is.

neoism

Went from P2 to P4 last night in a pub game while trying to mow through Act 2 on my WD. I won a Zunimassa's Marrow to complete my 4-set. Now to save up money so I can get my Hell and Inferno pony staff crafted...

why would you waste your gold its sooo no worth it.

turnbuckle

Truthfully, I just want to say I can. Given the limited things to do at end-game, pony smashing is a good time. Blizzard should buff ponies to make them worth doing. :)

Yeah, it's not "worth" it per se but it's still nice to have the option. I'd love there to be some new bonus to doing it though.

Since they don't want it to be a place for botters they could go ahead and buff up the difficulty of the place significantly, add half a dozen more champions, and include the chance for a leprechaun to spawn that's basically a palette swap of a treasure goblin that gives a ton more gold and loot.

Also, make it a multi-level place that gets more twisted with each floor and a time limit for clearing it all. Have each floor open up only after all the mobs are killed and increase the magic, gold, and monster damage by some % each level. Give the player or group a gold bonus for each second under the time limit they were able to finish the place up in. Leaderboards.

*sigh*

I keep wanting Diablo III to be a game it isn't and all the alternative ARPGs that have come out recently leave me unsatisfied. Saying "everything but the combat is better in game X" is a pretty big consolation to make. The combat is what makes having the skills and gear fun in the first place for me.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Also, make it a multi-level place that gets more twisted with each floor and a time limit for clearing it all. Have each floor open up only after all the mobs are killed and increase the magic, gold, and monster damage by some % each level. Give the player or group a gold bonus for each second under the time limit they were able to finish the place up in. Leaderboards.

This would excellent fun. LOADS of excellent fun.

I won't lie, the first time I cleared Whimsyshire was a bit underwhelming. I keep hoping that there's some hidden patch notes that add stuff to it and make it worth doing.

Raticus79

I would still get the staff of herding, just to get that out of the way.

I have a feeling that zone will come into play to access something in the expansion - you wouldn't want to be held up farming for it and get left behind in those magical first few days of ridiculous drop rates in new content. /long shot

I would still get the staff of herding, just to get that out of the way.

I have a feeling that zone will come into play to access something in the expansion - you wouldn't want to be held up farming for it and get left behind in those magical first few days of ridiculous drop rates in new content. /long shot

Yeah. It's fun to pop in occasionally anyway. I've said it here before, but it's also an OK spot for a stack.

turnbuckle

Yeah. It's fun to pop in occasionally anyway. I've said it here before, but it's also an OK spot for a stack.

I sometimes will venture there after doing a key run just to kill a few elites while waiting for friends to set up an uber group, but nothing more than that.

They should just get rid of the clouds or make the them have a chance to turn hostile. As is they just get in the way and are so annoying to accidentally click on :p Killing ponys is fun, but I want to chop up a rainbow goddammit.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Items is a topic of conversation on a daily basis, we talk about where they are currently, where we want them to be, and how to get them there. Some of the future changes involve making item affixes that aren’t currently good into something that at least some players are really excited to see. A good example of this is Pickup Radius and Witch Doctors. Sure not everyone wants a lot of Pickup Radius on their gear but there are some specs of WD that love it and want as much as possible and we want to expand that idea further. Thorns is a good example of a stat that, at its core has potential, but in reality falls short. While we plan to improve thorns by allowing a players primary stat to increase its damage, we have other plans that help further embrace thorns for specific classes and specs.

Increasing the availability of skill specific affixes and school damage affixes is also something we plan on doing. They have the potential to open up more fun and varied character builds as well as simply giving players another way to improve abilities they enjoy. An example that has worked previously is Zombie Dogs and Sacrifice using Zombie Dog cooldown items, Wall of Zombies cooldown items with Pile On, and Hammer of Ancients with cost reduction items. We like that these builds exist and want to open up even more builds by virtue of expanding the availability of these affixes.

We want items to make you feel more powerful but more importantly we want players to feel like items can be game changers. We want players to find items and think to themselves “whoa I wanna try making a spec for this item” or “oh man I’m totally gonna level a Monk to use this thing”. Improving the overall feel of the Diablo item game is something that is incredibly important to us and is receiving a lot of attention from our development team because it's important to you all as well.

The last paragraph is promising, at least. Kind of telling that it's almost a year past launch and they are just now committing to one of the core concepts of D2' itemization success, but hey, I guess you take what you can get.

Ploid 3.0

Good thing he said monk, because monk is the one class that I didn't level to 60 yet. Especially if that item is only good until a uncapped lower level.

Cipherr

The last paragraph is promising, at least. Kind of telling that it's almost a year past launch and they are just now committing to one of the core concepts of D2' itemization success, but hey, I guess you take what you can get.

Maybe it was Jay Wilson fucking shit up?

I dunno, but that does sound promising. Itemization needs a lot of work. Once thats fixed, the game will be golden. Im having a lot of fun with the public ML runs lately.

larvi

How long does it take to go 1->60 fresh? I want to get one of each class to 60 at some point....Only have WD and DH so far.

I just checked my wiz which was the last one I built and stopped at 60 and she's got a little under 20 hours on her. That was running solo with exp gear. I'm sure it could be done a lot quicker if you get someone to help level you.

neoism

I just checked my wiz which was the last one I built and stopped at 60 and she's got a little under 20 hours on her. That was running solo with exp gear. I'm sure it could be done a lot quicker if you get someone to help level you.

yeah juices helped me I got meh barb in like 4 hours or something lol my wiz took 24 hours... such a hassle to level solo...

Pepto

Banned
The game is pretty much dead for me.

Nothing is selling (I'm pretty sure it's because people who normally would buy mid tier equipment are spending all their gold on crafting) and with upgrades costing tens of millions there is pretty much no point in playing any more.

turnbuckle

4 hours? Lordy.

It can be done even quicker than that, but 4 hours is a good target. I had my female barb hit 60 about 3 hours and I'm sure it could've been done quicker. My friend was using his archon wizard and I was specced with sprint, leap, and some survival stuff and various shields :p

@ Pepto

Yeah, that's where I'm at right now. Upgrades are out of reach for me, I don't find the crafting to be worthwhile (I've probably spent about 20 million worth of mats and gold and only the shoulders were an upgrade), and prices for non incredible gear have sunk. The latter is a good thing, a great thing, but it destroys any feeling of progression for players who have really good gear already.

The latest blue post Anorgeon quoted is extremely promising and it's one of the main things everyone has been clamoring for. Perhaps Blizzard will really bring their A game in the upcoming patches because the goodwill with fans has taken a beating. The itemization, build diversity, and other issues that exist outside of endgame/randomization of dungeons absolutely needs to be taken care of before the expansion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom