• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucis

I tried the game for about an hour today. The last time I played was probably 1.01 (played 3 weeks after the AS nerf, before the LOH APonCRIT Crit WW nerf).

How easy is this game now? I have my semi crappy gear on my wiz, things just die in act 3, AZM died so fast I didn't even realize what he was doing, the black pool did no damage.

And I had none of those exp after 60 thing either...

Did they make this game too easy now?

Vodh

And I had none of those exp after 60 thing either...

Did they make this game too easy now?

The exp after 60 gives you paragon levels, basically a way to max out on MF and GF without items and give you some sense of purpose. As to the difficulty, you have to enable Monster Power selection in the menu and voila, now the game is as hard as you want it to be!

Lucis

The exp after 60 gives you paragon levels, basically a way to max out on MF and GF without items and give you some sense of purpose. As to the difficulty, you have to enable Monster Power selection in the menu and voila, now the game is as hard as you want it to be!

does reward match difficulty

Vodh

read up on it usually its best to do lower mp where you slaughter stuff but you do get better rewards both exp wise and item wise on higher mp not necessarily per hour but definitely per mob and after last patch you should be able to pick the mp you enjoy the most without feeling like youre wasting time because youre not doing mp1

We try to push the mp as high as possible to make sure the keywardens drop keys. There's 10% chance for each level of mp so we usually do mp6/7.

Same deal with using the keys and running ubers - if you put the mp too low you'll likely not get the parts you need to craft a hellfire ring.

Bradach

i logged on for the first time in 6 months+ yesterday and put a couple of things on the RMAH. I got a mail this morning saying something had sold but all the figures within the mail were €0.00 (net proceeds etc) and when I logged on to the RMAH to check the items were 'not sold'.
Anyone heard of this problem? Is there something suspicious going on here? (I have the authenticator on)

Cipherr

More loot drops, more paragon exp, and higher chance for the keys and pattern to drop when you raise paragon level.

So pretty much yeah. You can still have a bad run, but raising the Paragon tilts loot drop % and exp gained in your favor the higher you raise it.

Ingeniero

Hi all.
I have been doing MP3 runs in act 3 in the last couple of days.
I have found 3 Legendaries so far, pretty great since before that I had only found 2 legendaries in my 115+ hours of play with my barb.

Too bad those legendaries that I found are pure trash, but hey, at least I am getting them.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Hi all.
I have been doing MP3 runs in act 3 in the last couple of days.
I have found 3 Legendaries so far, pretty great since before that I had only found 2 legendaries in my 115+ hours of play with my barb.

Too bad those legendaries that I found are pure trash, but hey, at least I am getting them.

Funny story. I was going to try keyfarming on my WD on MP3. I was in Act 1 Festering Woods to get stacks. Well, the first elite group I ran into made me realize it wouldn't be efficient to keyfarm yet (at least not solo on MP3). I decided to kill the elite pack anyway (it was in Warrior's Rest or whatever that tomb is). Killed the guy and got a (crappy) Cindercoat.

Super rare drops, even when not good, still make me feel pretty great given the lack of good drops otherwise.

Speaking of which, I was wondering what you guys think I should be doing to farm gear and up my damage/survivability on higher MP levels. I can comfortably do MP1 and fair decent on 2, but 3 is pushing it. Bosses on MP1 one-shot me, and MP0 can be dangerous on bosses because of the spike damage (Diablo took me a few attempts).

Carlos the Witch Doctor

I don't have much to spend on the AH, so I can't really buy gear. I just bought that Vile Ward for like, 250k (can't tell if I overpaid, but my old shoulders were poo and I didn't want to bother researching). I've gotten some comments about my skill set, but I've never found it to be lacking.

I typically just run into a pack, shoot an arrow to trigger Vision Quest, pop Soul Harvest + Spirit Walk, and Bear my way to victory. Grave Injustice seems to keep Spirit Walk off or nearly off CD when there's trash mobs nearby.

Pepto

Banned
Speaking of which, I was wondering what you guys think I should be doing to farm gear and up my damage/survivability on higher MP levels. I can comfortably do MP1 and fair decent on 2, but 3 is pushing it. Bosses on MP1 one-shot me, and MP0 can be dangerous on bosses because of the spike damage (Diablo took me a few attempts).

Carlos the Witch Doctor

I don't have much to spend on the AH, so I can't really buy gear. I just bought that Vile Ward for like, 250k (can't tell if I overpaid, but my old shoulders were poo and I didn't want to bother researching). I've gotten some comments about my skill set, but I've never found it to be lacking.

I typically just run into a pack, shoot an arrow to trigger Vision Quest, pop Soul Harvest + Spirit Walk, and Bear my way to victory. Grave Injustice seems to keep Spirit Walk off or nearly off CD when there's trash mobs nearby.

Use pets to tank for you. If you are using bears you should just ignore IAS and get CC and CD.

Svafnir

Itemization blog is up. It's a pretty good and wow... we are finally getting Identify All.

http://www.diablohub.com/news/435/itemization-blog-by-travis-day/

Barbarian set that makes Call of the Ancients last until they die
Voodoo Mask that increases pet damage (Yay pet builds!)
Wizard Orb that allowed for two Hydras to be active at once
Ethereal Boots that let you walk through monsters

Also general improvements to make rare items better such as "As an example, suppose items currently roll between 1-100 Intelligence. Now, imagine that we dropped 25% as many items, but the Intelligence range was instead somewhere around 75-100. In the end, you'd find fewer items, but more of the items you find would be worth equipping. That's our goal."

"We are also exploring ways to make crafting more exciting by adding not just more ways to make appealing items, but also introducing ways to modify existing items."

It all sounds awesome.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Itemization blog is up. It's a pretty good and wow... we are finally getting Identify All.

http://www.diablohub.com/news/435/itemization-blog-by-travis-day/

• One idea that we have discussed is “targeted Legendaries,” where named NPCs have an increased chance of dropping specific legendary items. For example, The Butcher could have an increased chance of dropping The Butcher's Cleaver.
  • Another idea is that we introduce a system that will help alleviate some of the bad randomness players encounter by ensuring that at least some of the Rare and Legendary items you find will be something good for your class.
  • We've also discussed allowing bosses the first time you kill them in each difficulty to have a guaranteed chance to drop a Legendary.

I have a hard time believing they didn't think to put the first point in there from the get go. It sucks to think that bosses and certain mobs don't have specific legendaries. I'd love a bow that shoots rainbows from Pony Land, or (like they said) a better Butcher's Cleaver that would be fun to farm.

Games like Ragnarok and even Maplestory (while being grind fests) give you an idea of monsters worth hunting. You want an [Insert Weapon Here], you farm [Insert Monster(s) Here]. It just seems like a good way to somewhat alleviate the grind tedium.

Use pets to tank for you. If you are using bears you should just ignore IAS and get CC and CD.

Pet build would require rearranging some skills and passives though, would it not?

inky

We don't want out of control inflation

Yeah, about that...

I have a hard time believing they didn't think to put the first point in there from the get go. It sucks to think that bosses and certain mobs don't have specific legendaries.

They did, but apparently they didn't want to give any incentive for people to only farm bosses instead of whole acts so they took it out. Their design philosophy was that every item could drop anywhere, so they actually made boss drops as shitty as they possibly could* to make you look somewhere else.

*In terms of quantity or specific loot, I know roll range is based on iLvl.

turnbuckle

Love Leoric's Signet, but hate wearing a level 17 ring? Me too. Instead of farming Act II Normal to find a Leoric's Signet, let's go farm Inferno and get a level 63 version of the ring!

Just getting started reading but had to quote this because it got me pretty pumped :)

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Love Leoric's Signet, but hate wearing a level 17 ring? Me too. Instead of farming Act II Normal to find a Leoric's Signet, let's go farm Inferno and get a level 63 version of the ring!

This is interesting. Are they planning to allow all the lower level legendaries to drop in inferno and roll as 63's? That could be quite a game changer with stuff like Sledge Fist and Buriza Do Kyanon. There are probably more interesting ones hidden in the lower levels that could become relevant with this change

Rufus

Also general improvements to make rare items better such as "As an example, suppose items currently roll between 1-100 Intelligence. Now, imagine that we dropped 25% as many items, but the Intelligence range was instead somewhere around 75-100. In the end, you'd find fewer items, but more of the items you find would be worth equipping. That's our goal."
Step in the right direction. Next up, set them all to 100, then make them invisible and don't count them as affixes.

I'll try to be less cynical from now on...

Games like Ragnarok and even Maplestory (while being grind fests) give you an idea of monsters worth hunting. You want an [Insert Weapon Here], you farm [Insert Monster(s) Here]. It just seems like a good way to somewhat alleviate the grind tedium.
The AH filled that gap, but look how that turned out.

Pepto

Banned
Pet build would require rearranging some skills and passives though, would it not?

Yeah. You could lose the bears because the mana cost. There is just no way to use Pierce the Veil and bears on higher monster powers. I have about 1200 mana and 100 mana regen and even I can't spam bears in mp7-10 because of the huge mana cost.

After that you could think of losing either the Poison Dart or the Rain of Toads because do you really need three different long range attacks?

That would give you dogs and the gargantuan and if you feel like the pets are dying too easily you could always try Jungle Fortitude instead of Pierce the Veil.

turnbuckle

This is interesting. Are they planning to allow all the lower level legendaries to drop in inferno and roll as 63's? That could be quite a game changer with stuff like Sledge Fist and Buriza Do Kyanon. There are probably more interesting ones hidden in the lower levels that could become relevant with this change

It's something a lot of us have been clamoring for. A cheap and easy way to increase the amount of viable gearing options. It'd be awesome if these legendaries not only could roll ilvl 63 affixes in inferno, but if they'd also get modified in ways similar to the jump from legacy items to what's currently available.

The sad thing is hearing about these ideas make me want to play the game even less than the 0 I'm playing it now, but if most of this stuff makes it into the game I'll be back on the wagon in no time.

They're going to have to revamp the auction house to allow for more affixes to become searchable if they want to limit confusion of which leorics ring is which when trying to buy one. And/Or set a criteria in the AH where we can search not by lvl, but by ilvl of the item.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yeah. You could lose the bears because the mana cost. There is just no way to use Pierce the Veil and bears on higher monster powers. I have about 1200 mana and 100 mana regen and even I can't spam bears in mp7-10 because of the huge mana cost.

After that you could think of losing either the Poison Dart or the Rain of Toads because do you really need three different long range attacks?

That would give you dogs and the gargantuan and if you feel like the pets are dying too easily you could always try Jungle Fortitude instead of Pierce the Veil.

Ah OK - bears seems solid right now, but I haven't really considered the damage vs mp level in terms of health. If it gets too hard to spam them, I probably should start building a new skill set.

Poison Dart was my staple - Rain of Toads was originally put in there to deal with wallers that I couldn't get to. I often don't even bother, though.

How necessary are Soul Harvest and Spirit Walk at higher mp levels? Spirit Walk feels like a must. Soul Harvest is a nice damage boost for a short time, but I don't know how it fairs later.

Pepto

Banned
How necessary are Soul Harvest and Spirit Walk at higher mp levels? Spirit Walk feels like a must. Soul Harvest is a nice damage boost for a short time, but I don't know how it fairs later.

I use both but many people say that Soul Harvest is bad for high monster powers. Spirit Walk is pretty much essential for any WD for those frozen, jailer, molten & arcane monsters.

LFG

Neophyte
Just lost my pl 36 HC WD. 91hrs played /rip

Logged in to do some farming, was in bastions keep, ported to the keeps depths lvl 1, thought I was safe, afk'd a few mins and came back dead to a champ pack that was hiding just off screen :( It was my fault, I got distracted in my routine and should have stayed in the keep. Oh well, it sucks. Going back to SC for now. I'll probably level another HC to 60 and finish inferno again, but won't be putting that much time into a character that will die permanently... maybe, lol!

Cipherr

Itemization update blog

Damn it, they really are fixing this game :D

Indeed, gonna paste a post from the thread on it I made:

(On the topic of identifying hundreds of Rares, it's worth adding that while most of this blog is about overall item philosophy and our goals down the road, one of the short-term changes we're making is adding an "Identify All" option, which should be coming in 1.0.8.)

Finally.

We are also exploring ways to make crafting more exciting by adding not just more ways to make appealing items, but also introducing ways to modify existing items.

Yes..... yes....

It just means we don't feel it's necessary to present the player with hundreds of bad Rares for every one that they might want. As an example, suppose items currently roll between 1-100 Intelligence. Now, imagine that we dropped 25% as many items, but the Intelligence range was instead somewhere around 75-100. In the end, you'd find fewer items, but more of the items you find would be worth equipping. That's our goal.

And this too. Loot explosions are overrated. Make rares, rare. Just make more of them worth using. This is definitely the way to go.

So, for example, if you found a Heart of Iron from a level 63 monster, its base armor would be increased to that of Archon Armor and its stat ranges would roll at level 63. This gives us the opportunity to broaden the range of Legendary items, providing players with more diversity. Love Leoric's Signet, but hate wearing a level 17 ring? Me too. Instead of farming Act II Normal to find a Leoric's Signet, let's go farm Inferno and get a level 63 version of the ring!

And this change would make every legendary and set item in the game worth something at max level, even the low level legendaries. That would boost the amount of worthwhile legendary items tremendously overnight. Amazing that its taken this long for someone over there to think of that.

We've also discussed allowing bosses the first time you kill them in each difficulty to have a guaranteed chance to drop a Legendary.

That would interject some life into the leveling process. They should do the same thing on the first time you kill a boss on a new Monster Power level also.

It really looks like they are finally on track to really blow this thing wide open and put it on the right track. Everything they have talked about, and put in the game recently is just great. Either Jay Wilson was the problem, or he left at a very unfortunate time, because the good news started to flow right as he bailed. This sounds great.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Epic conspiracy theory time! (edit: not serious!)

- Jay Wilson posts resignation, moved to "different project"

- Travis Day arrives with remarkable new outlook

- patch arrives, itemization revamp meets universal acclaim - even better than expected

- wait until a really good "patch is awesome" thread is going, Jay drops in on page 25 and says "Hey guys it was really me all along". Lock thread, many posts are immortalized as praising Jay Wilson.

Heads explode. Photoshop Jay onto maximumtrolling.jpg

Seriously though, has anyone seen a picture of him or has the name come up before? The reddit thread (not mine!) got buried since people just wrote it off for the conspiracy theory angle. His name is on an old WoW NPC. I haven't found anything else yet.

He's doing a good job, got some hopes up here for sure.

Epic conspiracy theory time!

- patch arrives, itemization revamp meets universal acclaim - even better than expected

- wait until a really good "patch is awesome" thread is going, Jay drops in on page 25 and says "Hey guys it was really me all along". Lock thread, many posts are immortalized as praising Jay Wilson.

Seriously though, has anyone seen a picture of him or has the name come up before? The reddit thread (not mine!) got buried since people just wrote it off for the conspiracy theory angle - the name is on a WoW NPC. I haven't found anything else yet.

HAHAH ...

I would laugh so hard.

neoism

tumblr_inline_mg5wqkqggC1rao0jp.gif

Svafnir

"We're looking at making some adjustments to monster density, and right now we'd like to see if we can get those changes in with 1.0.8. The trick with adjusting density is that, by doing so, we could inadvertently create another "most optimal" route in Act I, II, or IV. It's the kind of thing we'll be doing a lot of internal testing on before hand, and likely something we'll want to have up for additional testing on the PTR."

Quote by Lylirra.

Things are getting even better!

Wyatt Chang and Travis day also dropped more information on Monster Density and things like Multi Crafting and Auction House Comparison tooltips.

I have compiled it all at this link - http://www.diablohub.com/news/436/monster-density-improvements-possible-for-patch-108/

Looks like today is going to be a decent flood of information, so I will keep updating the posting if anything else new comes.

Shifty76

I use both but many people say that Soul Harvest is bad for high monster powers. Spirit Walk is pretty much essential for any WD for those frozen, jailer, molten & arcane monsters.

Depends on the build really.

0cd dogs WD I run with has no need for it, but then 0cd isn't a particularly budget friendly build so it's not something someone can just throw together.

Oh, and 900+ dps sledge fist? Yes please!

Damn, US server down.
I wanted to play so bad today...

I hope it comes up in the next hour and a half, I need my hour fill for today.

All this patch stuff is sounding badass, I don't even farm Act 3 at the moment because I like variety so it's all gravy to me. I don't need to min-max XP/hour because I like to just enjoy my gaming sessions after years of the competitive MMO grinds.

Robin64

Blizzard said:
While random really is at the core of Diablo in so many ways this is certainly one of the areas where it has no potential to benefit players. Wizards don't use Strength, Demon Hunters don't use Intelligence so let's just remove those as potential random attributes on Orbs and Quivers respectively.

Right direction.. ooh, it's getting good.

Itemization update blog

Damn it, they really are fixing this game :D

All Uniques and Sets being buffed to 63? That's a brilliant idea. Would definitely make for more interesting drops and gearing paths.

Identify All? YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Hate, hate, hate having to identify a full stash for stuff I'm just going to vendor anyway.

Also like the idea of reducing Rare drops.

Now implement these ideas and show us you're good for it Blizzard.

Into

Could not help but nod at everything in that blog that Travis Day posted, he addressed many of the things people have been bringing up in regards to this game.

My favorite part was that we will see LESS rares but in turn the ones we do see will be of higher quality.

I am never excited at the idea of town portaling, identifying every rare in my bag and then salvaging it, i do not sit there with a grimace on my face thinking "oh boy im gonna get something great!" nobody does that with D3 anymore, the game has more or less taught us to expect absolutely nothing from rares and that is not how it is suppose to be.

Maybe i am being foolish, but i got hope for this game down the line, perhaps they can turn things around

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Epic conspiracy theory time! (edit: not serious!)

Seriously though, has anyone seen a picture of him or has the name come up before? The reddit thread (not mine!) got buried since people just wrote it off for the conspiracy theory angle. His name is on an old WoW NPC. I haven't found anything else yet.

Travis Day...

Jay Wilson...

Day = Jay

Wilson is as generic as Travis can be.

hoooooolyyyyyyyy shhhhhiiiiiiiitttttttttttttt

Itemization blog was underwhelming, probably because they are still working on what to do to spice things up or waiting for the expansion.

Essentially, they are re-rolling Legendaries again, and looking to slash item drops but up their targeted stats. In all honesty this does nothing for me. It's the same boring MMO-inspired itemization system. Looks like I'll go back into hibernation with D3 until the expansion info comes out, and even then I am not optimistic.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Tried dogs + gargantuan on my WD. I simply couldn't put out enough damage yet. So I switched to a unique hybrid build. Gargantuan with bears. Mass Confusion with Paranoia Rune, Pierce the Veil, Spiritual Attunement, and Grave Injustice. Mana isn't nearly as big of a problem with the passives I have, and elites die right quick when I pop Mass Confusion.

I'm still convinced that I'll go pets once I have some better gear options, though. Pets have come a LONG way since 1.0 it feels like. They aren't dying immediately like they used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom