• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayerx

Random question - anyone have a spare Diablo II key? Putting together a gaming computer for a friend who is broke.
I probably have one for diablo and expansion on collectors edition USB thing, let me check.

Uhhh, nvm I think i accidentally deleted the text document with keys.

ZenaxPure

IMO, the lack of build diversity has a lot of do with the lack of weapons and armor that force people to try different builds. More elemental damage modifiers are a good example. I've always wanted to be a fire monk because SW's fire rune is awesome. Mix that with backlash and maybe the lashing tail kick fire rune as an example.

I've actually always been confused why D3 didn't have a proper elemental damage buff stat (that can appear on any gear). It seems like such a no brainer considering how many different runes change the element of attacks and such. Especially on classes like Wizard with their different hydras, you could actually make each one viable if you could actually stack a stat that increased their damage. Or at least more so than right now.

Repo Man

1 act, 10 more levels, 1 new class... On paper I'm struggling to justify paying real money for this but I hope the 1 act and 10 levels will give enough content to actually call it an expansion seeing a good deal of the much needed mechanic changes are coming in a free patch. I'm just scared that the 1 new act is as long as act 1 and to me that doesnt sound like a very good deal.

Yeah theres gonna be a new class, a "sword and board" - one at that which is what I personally like the sound of but are we gonna have to plow through acts 1- 4 x 4 again + act 5 or do we need to plow through acts 1 - 4 + 5 x 4 to reach level 70 on a new class such as the Kruzader ?

In any case its great to hear some new bits of info on my favourite game. Loot 2.0 sounds like a step in the direction it should have been from the kick-off, all I hope now is that Blizzard will rollout the initial changes sort of early-on to keep me hooked in the base game untill the ex-pac is out.

Ken

Is this game worth getting into again fresh? I had it at launch but only played up to maybe Act 2 or 3 but stopped for other things, and the expansion news makes me want to try it again.

Repo Man

Is this game worth getting into again fresh? I had it at launch but only played up to maybe Act 2 or 3 but stopped for other things, and the expansion news makes me want to try it again.

Over 600 hours played across all of my characters says... DO IT MAN! :p

Jrmint

Man that Crusader class looks really fun.

I just watched that 10 minute gameplay demo. Falling sword especially looks awesome.

Vicros

Everything I'm seeing in the expansion thread has me legitimately excited. They look to be changing a lot more stuff than I was expecting them to.

I was hopeful but pessimistic, now I can't wait.

MrDaravon

So I just caught the expansion news as it was hitting this morning, and saw the FAQ someone posted on the bnet forums so I think I'm pretty much up to date. Two things I'm not clear on though:

1)You can put Paragon points into crit and move speed? How the fuck is that going to work and/or not be super fucking broken. I mean, that's hilarious and awesome, but what the hell.

2)Do we have confirmation on how Paragon levels across characters are going to combine. I'm seeing people say authoritatively both that the levels would just add (so if you had two different p100 characters you'd be p200 now), or that it would just go to a pool and sort it out to the appropriate actual level (so with 2 different p100 characters now you'd probably wind up being ~135ish or whatever. I'd assume the latter, but I'm seeing people say both.

Also curious how no Paragon level cap will work; given that there are already pretty significantly diminishing returns as is at the higher levels in terms of how much goddamn XP it takes to level, I wonder if they'll level that out a bit and have Paragon levels be easier to get but maybe the stat rewards for them start costing more and scale in that manner. Otherwise if they scale like the XP levels do now I can't see most people getting to even Paragon 150 or whatever.

I've actually always been confused why D3 didn't have a proper elemental damage buff stat (that can appear on any gear). It seems like such a no brainer considering how many different runes change the element of attacks and such. Especially on classes like Wizard with their different hydras, you could actually make each one viable if you could actually stack a stat that increased their damage. Or at least more so than right now.

Yeah and it would really give us another option to look for in stats. Instead of the trifecta with a main stat / vit or AR, you can have a whole slew of elemental damage modifiers. It would encourage people to use more than one set of gear too.

Like for gloves it could be

180 Dex
50 VIT
70AR
9 CC
30CD
+15% to some base element.

There's 3 other elements and IAS missing from that glove. So that leaves a lot of possibilities left for a valuable piece than just stadard trifecta with main / vit and ar. Like you said .. the wiz has hydra's and could benefit from gloves with multiple elemental damage rolls too.

I mean ... I could even see myself sacrificing one of the main stats for the elemental damage as well. A fire and lighting damage modifier would be rad for monks.

I think they said they wanted to add another damage modifier, so there's hope still at least.

Skab

I find it interesting that all the uniques they have shown have been account bound.

If thats just how they drop now, then its going to kill the AH. My guess, though, is that they have been enchanted, which binds them.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
So I just caught the expansion news as it was hitting this morning, and saw the FAQ someone posted on the bnet forums so I think I'm pretty much up to date. Two things I'm not clear on though:

1)You can put Paragon points into crit and move speed? How the fuck is that going to work and/or not be super fucking broken. I mean, that's hilarious and awesome, but what the hell.

2)Do we have confirmation on how Paragon levels across characters are going to combine. I'm seeing people say authoritatively both that the levels would just add (so if you had two different p100 characters you'd be p200 now), or that it would just go to a pool and sort it out to the appropriate actual level (so with 2 different p100 characters now you'd probably wind up being ~135ish or whatever. I'd assume the latter, but I'm seeing people say both.

Also curious how no Paragon level cap will work; given that there are already pretty significantly diminishing returns as is at the higher levels in terms of how much goddamn XP it takes to level, I wonder if they'll level that out a bit and have Paragon levels be easier to get but maybe the stat rewards for them start costing more and scale in that manner. Otherwise if they scale like the XP levels do now I can't see most people getting to even Paragon 150 or whatever.

From what the community manager said on the official forums, the way it is set up now is that they just add all your characters' paragon levels and make the sum your new account-wide pl, e.g. if you've got 1 pl100 char, 2 pl50 and 1 pl10 char your account will be pl210 when the new system is launched. However, she basically said that this is subject to change. And honestly if word has it that the game will just add all your PLs I suspect Blizzard will change that to make it so that your total paragon XP is converted so as not give old players an unfair advantage from the get-go.

MrDaravon

From what the community manager said on the official forums, the way it is set up now is that they just add all your characters' paragon levels and make the sum your new account-wide pl, e.g. if you've got 1 pl100 char, 2 pl50 and 1 pl10 char your account will be pl210 when the new system is launched. However, she basically said that this is subject to change. And honestly if word has it that the game will just add all your PLs I suspect Blizzard will change that to make it so that your total paragon XP is converted so as not give old players an unfair advantage from the get-go.

Yeah, that would make much more sense to me, but I guess we'll see.

I haven't hit 100 with any of my characters, does the game stop tracking XP at that point completely? I'm guessing so. Kinda sucks for people who are already at 100, but I guess it incentivizes people to level up alts.

Skab

You seem to get less per paragon level now as well. One level is one paragon point. One paragon point in a stat category seems to give you 5 of that stat (see screen below). But it isn't clear if we share a pool of paragon points or if each character has their own points or what.

Also, since you can put points into things like movement speed, those 5 points, which is a lot less than what we get now with the auto stat allocation, are going to be spread across a lot more categories.

29.jpg

Cipherr

You seem to get less per paragon level now as well. One level is one paragon point. One paragon point in a stat category seems to give you 5 of that stat (see screen below). But it isn't clear if we share a pool of paragon points or if each character has their own points or what.

Also, since you can put points into things like movement speed, those 5 points, which is a lot less than what we get now with the auto stat allocation, are going to be spread across a lot more categories.

I love this so much. Like, right now people want certain items to have Movement speed on them, and wont consider certain items if they don't have them. But after this new system, whether or not you seek MS on an item will depend on your paragon allocation. So what might be a nice pair of boots to one Monk, might be shit for me if it has MS% on it, and I'm already capped via passive paragon.

ferr

Good stuff today. I like the paragon 2.0 system and the mystic.

What's most interesting to me is the "Loot Run" end game. Is it possible they're actually adding STRUCTURED end game content? It almost sounds like Dungeons/Raids from WoW -- a dungeon with a boss at the end. The end result is the same, I guess-- kill monsters for a while to farm end game stuff, but the fact that it's structured leads me to believe it'll be a much better experience.

I love this so much. Like, right now people want certain items to have Movement speed on them, and wont consider certain items if they don't have them. But after this new system, whether or not you seek MS on an item will depend on your paragon allocation. So what might be a nice pair of boots to one Monk, might be shit for me if it has MS% on it, and I'm already capped via passive paragon.

I brought this up in the main page on gaming today too. LS, MS and CC slots could really open up the type of items I'm looking to acquire. Monk can drop the boots but keep the Inna's pants. Wiz and Barbs can drop the Innas pants or Laccuni's.

I'm pretty pumped here. The more I talk about it the more pumped I'm getting lol.

What's most interesting to me is the "Loot Run" end game. Is it possible they're actually adding STRUCTURED end game content? It almost sounds like Dungeons/Raids from WoW -- a dungeon with a boss at the end. The end result is the same, I guess-- kill monsters for a while to farm end game stuff, but the fact that it's structured leads me to believe it'll be a much better experience.

I just like it because it's random. Predictable levels are nice sometimes as it makes farming more efficient, but it can be a bore after a while.

MrDaravon

Also if it's something you can keep re-triggering in the same game that'll be cool for the instances where you actually get in a public game that has players that are actually competent.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I've been saying they need to expand the MP levels and give us more than MP10. Once I saw those level 70 items I assumed they would have to increase the MP, but I didn't think it would be to 60 lol.

With the current trend of each MP level adding 50% HP, MP60 would be:

1.5 ^ 60 = 36,768,468,716 times as much HP compared to mp0, or about 1,081,425,550 times as much as current mp10, which means an elite pack that took a minute to kill would take 2000 years with current gear.

Pretty sure we're gonna need a new scaling formula there, lol

Complete RPG noob here. Random end game dungeons. I assume this is just random 15-20minute dungeons for farming purposes, which should be better then going through the same sections on inferno over and over again?

Yet to watch the conference but have they said if the environment changes also? Or just random designs/paths/enemies.

Thanks

ZenaxPure

I just like it because it's random. Predictable levels are nice sometimes as it makes farming more efficient, but it can be a bore after a while.

Me too pretty much, as much as I don't like the original Torchlight for a lot of reasons I LOVED the random map system in the game, I had a ton of fun just going through random dungeons over and over. It does a good job at keeping things fresh if you just want to log on and murder some dudes.

Also I just came to the realization that the new paragon system reminds me of the badass ranks in Borderlands 2. They obviously aren't exactly the same, but, the concepts seem very similar.

With the current trend of each MP level adding 50% HP, MP60 would be:

1.5 ^ 60 = 36,768,468,716 times as much HP compared to mp0, or about 1,081,425,550 times as much as current mp10, which means an elite pack that took a minute to kill would take 2000 years with current gear.

Pretty sure we're gonna need a new scaling formula there, lol

LMFAO ... that's hilarious. Though I'm not sure why they need to add so many MP levels. How much different will MP10 and MP11 be as an example if there are 70 MP levels?

Raticus79

Also I just came to the realization that the new paragon system reminds me of the badass ranks in Borderlands 2. They obviously aren't exactly the same, but, the concepts seem very similar.

Oh shit, hmm, what if Nephalem Trials are required challenges to unlock skill point allocations on those other tabs...

JoeMartin

Wouldn't really make sense to just combine paragon levels in an additive fashion, especially given the exponential increase in XP necessary to gain paragon levels. I would hope that they would just combine XP across all your characters for a new account wide Paragon level.

Raticus79

Wouldn't really make sense to just combine paragon levels in an additive fashion, especially given the exponential increase in XP necessary to gain paragon levels. I would hope that they would just combine XP across all your characters for a new account wide Paragon level.

Yes, they tweeted an update that the paragon exp is added, not the levels, so 100 is not equal to 10x10

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So it sounds like there's still a maximum "level" you can attain for everything? Like, you could, in theory, max out all of those stats? They seem to cap at 50 (in that one shot at least).

So if I hit Paragon 100 with my Barb it sounds like I should start leveling my characters that are at 60 to like Paragon 10 each then level em to 20 each as far as I can go and all that Paragon XP will count? Or do you think I can keep destroying on the Barb and it will all still count once they uncap it?

Decisions decisions. It sounds like you might be able to benefit pre paragon uncapping by using as many toons as you can to max out the low Paragon levels. If they just add all the levels together. So yea it should be XP added all up.

Deadly

So how do I farm some gold because I've got nothing. Blizzard won't even let me do anything with my 1$ which could at least net me ~23mil

The gaming thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=657137

dzop83qu.jpg

Level 70 weapon, nearly 3x the DPS without socket? Well, my gear's now worth about three cents, lol

Some good clarifications here:
http://www.diablofans.com/topic/101...f-souls-teaser-and-opening-cinematic/#twitter
"also, what happens to the people who've already leveled up in Paragon?
@peli_can_flip Bonuses are retroactive. I.E. If you have two p100 heroes right now, the current plan is that you'd have 200 points in ROS. (Twitter)"

Ok, so everyone's going to want to make 10 x paragon 50 characters to max out those paragon points quickly. Get to 500 points in like 1/100 the time it would take to get 5 x 100.

Anybody still feel a resounding "ehhhh" when they look at the items shown in that Gamescom speech? Sure, the DEEPZ number got bigger, but otherwise they just put yellow dots next to things items can already roll now. Then added another On Kill/Hit effect that, if the last effort at legendary improvement was any indication, will likely be completely useless. Things like Maximus demon+fire chains or the Hellfire Ring fireball didn't scale at all, and so they did flat pathetic damage with a low proc rate. And they weren't interesting in the slightest.

Compare this to the latest Path of Exile unique:

nF5PrrX.png

Something that completely changes builds and opens up possibilities that did not exist in the game before. Summoning a Hydra on kill sometimes or something is not what itemization needs. It needs major mechanical risks to be taken on the part of the developers.

Talaysen

Anybody still feel a resounding "ehhhh" when they look at the items shown in that Gamescom speech? Sure, the DEEPZ number got bigger, but otherwise they just put yellow dots next to things items can already roll now. Then added another On Kill/Hit effect that, if the last effort at legendary improvement was any indication, will likely be completely useless. Things like Maximus demon+fire chains or the Hellfire Ring fireball didn't scale at all, and so they did flat pathetic damage with a low proc rate. And they weren't interesting in the slightest.

Compare this to the latest Path of Exile unique:

nF5PrrX.png

Something that completely changes builds and opens up possibilities that did not exist in the game before. Summoning a Hydra on kill sometimes or something is not what itemization needs. It needs major mechanical risks to be taken on the part of the developers.

You mean like this?

You mean like this?

What does that offer? A 4% reduction in cooldowns (that was also seen on a level 31 legendary by the way) translates to fractions of a second on most abilities. Nothing gamechanging. And even a free dashing strike on faraway targets might yield you one free hit with it, but once you're in the fray it won't do much for you. It's a better example, but still not enough. You won't see dashing strike builds based around this weapon in this state. The base skill is insufficiently strong and the bonus from the item too situational.

What does that offer? A 4% reduction in cooldowns (that was also seen on a level 31 legendary by the way) translates to fractions of a second on most abilities. Nothing gamechanging. And even a free dashing strike on faraway targets might yield you one free hit with it, but once you're in the fray it won't do much for you. It's a better example, but still not enough. You won't see dashing strike builds based around this weapon in this state. The base skill is insufficiently strong and the bonus from the item too situational.

I think those star skills will get boosts if the legendaries they showcased have the abilities in them. This is especially the case since no one currently gives a shit about them. I'm also assuming the cool down stat is stackable and not unique to that legendary. I think this because its marked by a yellow and not a star. I could be wrong, but the wand also has another yellow stat and its common across a lot of wizard items. Maybe it's a monk attribute that comes on on gear. Kinda like life per spirit spent. If that's the case then its pretty fucking rad.

The weapon you poted is basically D3 with elemental damage. I too would like elemtal damage, but they did say they want to add some build specific weapons and I see the above as examples. For now I'm cautiously optimistic and will wait for more patch details before I let out a Meh.

Edit: it actually doesn't say monk only, so I'm assuming reduced cool-down is a new stackable stat that's not class specific.

Beepos

I played just as Monster Power levels were introduced. Have they made loot better since then? The expansion pics make items look incredible but I take it that is with the Loot 2.0 upgrade months away?

Xian

Neo Member

"@DBraveZ @peli_can_flip Wyatt just updated me. Your shared Paragon level will be calculated by adding up Paragon EXP across all your heroes."

https://twitter.com/Lylirra/status/370248463738757120

I tried farming MP1 last night with my WD on hardcore. I'm at Belial, but want to ensure I beat his ass so I'm farming some cash.

Anyway ...I get a stack in the hllows and then go to Festering woods on MP1 and I get a nasty pack with vortex, arcane and waller. Holy shit my balls were in my throat. I got walled up, then vortexed into the madness of arcane beams. I've also noticed that arcane beams become centralized when using a ton of pets. So I'm blasted into like 4 arcane beams. I pop spirit walk, but it's still on cool down ... AWWWWW .... scramble scramble ... ACID Cloud for the LOH ... scramble scramble and then spirit walk comes back and I move to safety without having to pop spirit vessel. I was down to like 10% health easily too at one point from those beams.

I quickly put it back to MP0 and continued on totally fine with the slower pace. lol

I haven't felt that much excitement in a very long time playing this though. Very exhilarating.

lordy88

I tried farming MP1 last night with my WD on hardcore. I'm at Belial, but want to ensure I beat his ass so I'm farming some cash.

Anyway ...I get a stack in the hllows and then go to Festering woods on MP1 and I get a nasty pack with vortex, arcane and waller. Holy shit my balls were in my throat. I got walled up, then vortexed into the madness of arcane beams. I've also noticed that arcane beams become centralized when using a ton of pets. So I'm blasted into like 4 arcane beams. I pop spirit walk, but it's still on cool down ... AWWWWW .... scramble scramble ... ACID Cloud for the LOH ... scramble scramble and then spirit walk comes back and I move to safety without having to pop spirit vessel. I was down to like 10% health easily too at one point from those beams.

I quickly put it back to MP0 and continued on totally fine with the slower pace. lol

I haven't felt that much excitement in a very long time playing this though. Very exhilarating.

Easily the best part about D3: The combat. What they did with elite affixes is absolutely brilliant.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Easily the best part about D3: The combat. What they did with elite affixes is absolutely brilliant.

Agree. I mean, the game has it's faults. But I played again yesterday for the first time in a few months and thoroughly enjoyed wandering various open fields and smashing monsters.

ZenaxPure

Yeah, ever since they removed invulnerable minions I think the affixes have been amazing. Pretty much all of them left are interesting and make changes to how you approach fighting a dude, especially depending on the combos they have. My secret hope with the expansion is that we get another 5 or 6 well and thought out affixes as interesting as the ones we have now.

On a similar note the infernal machine wasn't in the game last time I played so I decided to start messing around with that. The first one I got was Ghom and Rakanoth, it was underwhelming, mostly because I think both of those bosses are pretty boring on their own. But, my second one was Maghda and Leoric and I ended up having a ton of fun with that. Dodging evil butterflies that did half my HP, Leoric's cleave that did half my HP, all combined with arcane beams to dance around. I was only on MP6 (since my gear is still pretty average at best) but that was pretty much perfect for me. I had a lot more fun with those 2 than I was expecting to get out of this event as a whole.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
All right, so I am going to start playing again just once and awhile, and I want to buy some of those crafting recipes for the amulets (not to mention some better gear as mine is very mediocre). But they are 1.5 million each recipe, and I only have a little over a million saved up total.

So, what is the best way to earn gold fast in game now? I've never had luck selling anything on the AH for more than a couple grand or so, I think the most I ever sold anything for was 40K. So, by simply playing the game, is it better to keep on high DPS gear, get 5 stacks, and just slaughter everything in Inferno? Or is it better to put on a set of high GF% gear (killing my DPS) and speed run the whole story in Hell mode instead of Inferno?

Or should I just grind for items and do my best to sell on the AH?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom