• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
All right, so I am going to start playing again just once and awhile, and I want to buy some of those crafting recipes for the amulets (not to mention some better gear as mine is very mediocre). But they are 1.5 million each recipe, and I only have a little over a million saved up total.

So, what is the best way to earn gold fast in game now? I've never had luck selling anything on the AH for more than a couple grand or so, I think the most I ever sold anything for was 40K. So, by simply playing the game, is it better to keep on high DPS gear, get 5 stacks, and just slaughter everything in Inferno? Or is it better to put on a set of high GF% gear (killing my DPS) and speed run the whole story in Hell mode instead of Inferno?

Or should I just grind for items and do my best to sell on the AH?

I wouldn't buy, they fall pretty frequently as recipient drop rates have been drastically increased.. If your farming act III, all of the mini bosses will drop a i63 plan if you have a stack at mp5-7 at about a 50% chance or so. Start with ghom, then siege, then magda. Plain enemies can drop them too, but not for a for sure thing like the mini bosses. I usually got 3-5 recipes a run. Took me a couple days of dicking around. At least this way you'll have some money for the crafts. The ammy specifically isn't a cheap craft.

SC can be hard to make money now. Good drops are rare since the market has been flooded. On the bright side, they changed the way stacks affect GF and MF. They also added another bonus to GF and MF just for playing in a party. 5k stacks of gold on the ground adds up and since the market is flooded, decent gear is cheap.

Btw.... For people just jumping back in, feel free to add me.

Fenderputty#1180

I think those star skills will get boosts if the legendaries they showcased have the abilities in them. This is especially the case since no one currently gives a shit about them. I'm also assuming the cool down stat is stackable and not unique to that legendary. I think this because its marked by a yellow and not a star. I could be wrong, but the wand also has another yellow stat and its common across a lot of wizard items. Maybe it's a monk attribute that comes on on gear. Kinda like life per spirit spent. If that's the case then its pretty fucking rad.

The weapon you poted is basically D3 with elemental damage. I too would like elemtal damage, but they did say they want to add some build specific weapons and I see the above as examples. For now I'm cautiously optimistic and will wait for more patch details before I let out a Meh.

Edit: it actually doesn't say monk only, so I'm assuming reduced cool-down is a new stackable stat that's not class specific.

But the power of an item like the PoE one is the synergy of game mechanics. Turning your lightning damage into chaos damage not only bypasses energy shield, it bypasses lightning resist (more common), and it applies not just to the lightning damage that the weapon does, but that the lightning damage that any skill does, such as lightning arrow, elemental hit or discharge, or support damage provided by weapon elemental damage or added lightning damage gems. The fact that it makes chaos damage shock will have untold consequences on the mechanics of the game once people figure out how to use it in concert with other skills.

That's why that item is good. It's not vague "chance to do thing" where they don't specify how high the chance is or how the thing works. It's specific and overpowered in the right situations. So many builds depend explicitly on one or two items and simply could not exist without those items. Blizzard continues to balk at the prospects of putting overpowered things on items, and in a lot of ways the homogenized nature of their stat, armor/resist and damage system neuters their ability to do so. Items are good because high numbers. It's just sad that they are so backed into a corner by the poorly designed systems of the game.

V_Arnold

nF5PrrX.png

While I admire PoE's uniques sometimes, this bow is horrible, and I consider the bows the worst, most lazy aspect of that game, to be honest.

Yaay, lighting shocks, right? We made it into chaos, and it STILL SHOCKS! GAMECHANGER(TM). Nope.

I do not consider damage type shaningans particularly engaging or worthwile, to be honest.

Edit: I do not even need to read about this or the builds to imagine a random Kripp video where he just smiles and says "this has so much potential", only to emerge a week later, once again abusing the power of some broken mechanics in the game :D Let me guess, really just off the top of my head... this bow allows you to, when combined with chaos inoculation, take literally zero damage from damage reflect enemies. What a shocking revelation :D

I get that people want build specific weapons. I just don't care if it's elemental in nature. If they buff Hydra and give people a reason to use a different WIZ build than CM because of a couple items and tweaked skills, I'm happy.

I would like elemental damage and the complexities it could add, but really people just want build diversity and the way the items work with the skills is how they'll achieve that.

V_Arnold

I get that people want build specific weapons. I just don't care if it's elemental in nature. If they buff Hydra and give people a reason to use a different WIZ build than CM because of a couple items and tweaked skills, I'm happy.

People just want build diversity and the way the items work with the skills is how they'll achieve that.

Yep, I will be amongst the first to jump to mass hydra bandwagon as well if they are viable. I see that as a fine gameplay element, no need to hide behind 3-4 lines of shaningans to do real changes, imho.

Deadly

I wouldn't buy, they fall pretty frequently as recipient drop rates have been drastically increased.. If your farming act III, all of the mini bosses will drop a i63 plan if you have a stack at mp5-7 at about a 50% chance or so. Start with ghom, then siege, then magda. Plain enemies can drop them too, but not for a for sure thing like the mini bosses. I usually got 3-5 recipes a run. Took me a couple days of dicking around. At least this way you'll have some money for the crafts. The ammy specifically isn't a cheap craft.

SC can be hard to make money now. Good drops are rare since the market has been flooded. On the bright side, they changed the way stacks affect GF and MF. They also added another bonus to GF and MF just for playing in a party. 5k stacks of gold on the ground adds up and since the market is flooded, decent gear is cheap.

Btw.... For people just jumping back in, feel free to add me.

Fenderputty#1180
I can barely do mp1, am I fucked? I could probably do CM wiz somehow decently but I hate that playstyle so all I got is a DH.

I can barely do mp1, am I fucked? I could probably do CM wiz somehow decently but I hate that playstyle so all I got is a DH.

If you're on the US, you can add me. I play in the evenings usually. I can help you get whatever you need.

But yes ... MP1 is going to have reduced chances.

I think I'm gonna start a self found character too, but probably the crusader and probably on the HC server. I'll probably always use the GAH on the SC server.

ZenaxPure

I think a lot of it comes down to personal preference, just because you have a bunch of different builds doesn't mean the game is fun really. That is my view point on it anyway. The reason I've sunk over 300 hours into D3 and not other similar games is because even though each class only has 2 or 3 distinct builds they can get away with using all of those builds are extremely fun to play for the most part. I am not personally interested in a weapon or piece of armor that changes how skills behave if the actual buttons you end up pressing make the class still feel the same to actually play in the moment to moment gameplay. I pretty much get no excitement from the passive aspects of gameplay like that.

I think it's a hard problem to overcome probably, at least for me. If they want to add more diverse builds, I want it to be because we are combining different skills/runes together in new and exciting ways, not because I get a weapon that changes some passive thing and now I have a "new build" (not to say that bow posted above in PoE does that, I have no idea since I only put about 6 hours into the game myself, I am just speaking more in general).

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
If anyone wants to get a leg up on the expansion, the best bet would be to get some good WW/rend gear while everyone is frantically selling and just fill up all your slots with p100 barbs levelled one after another with the same gear. (The 200-300m exp/hour variety)

http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/1f3ek1/guide_to_building_a_barb_in_108/

On the other hand, we'll probably be able to gain exp a lot faster once the expansion hits, so if you're in a crunch for play time it's probably better to get that backlog out of the way now and level faster later!

How many people do you think are still playing? How many people do you think will come back for the patch / expansion? I get what you're saying man, but I have a feeling most of us will have a leg up on everyone anyway.

I still haven't leveled and ALT BARB lol :p

V_Arnold

How many people do you think are still playing? How many people do you think will come back for the patch / expansion? I get what you're saying man, but I have a feeling most of us will have a leg up on everyone anyway.

I still haven't leveled and ALT BARB lol :p

I actually did, and I feel bad about enjoying that as well.... so I am currently using non-traditional Wizard and COB WD instead. Still have to seriously invest in dex gear for my Monk, and I have yet to level a DH. I wonder if I should wait for new skills to do that.

Raticus79

I think the expansion will bring a lot of people back for a while. New shiny level 70 gear, endless paragon treadmill and better game modes for grinding... the RMAH should see a revival so it's a good time to be ahead of the curve.

BFIB

I posted this on the expansion thread on the main page, but I'll also ask here. I've been out of the loop on this for the past 5 or 6 months. Worth jumping back in? I was planning on getting this for PS4, but I've heard that a lot of the issues (loot drops in particular) have pretty much been taken care of.

Thanks!

I think the expansion will bring a lot of people back for a while. New shiny level 70 gear, endless paragon treadmill and better game modes for grinding... the RMAH should see a revival so it's a good time to be ahead of the curve.

I agree ... I was just shittin' with you man because I still don't have a barb. lol

Dahbomb

You guys think they will improve PvP in the expansion? Blizzard said they are still experimenting with PvP. I am curious to see what people would want from PvP in D3 and what are their suggestions.

ZenaxPure

I am curious to see what people would want from PvP in D3 and what are their suggestions.

Personally? I think my suggestion is toss it under a bus somewhere and pretend they never mentioned it. PVP is pretty much the last thing I want in this type of game to be honest.

eek5

If anyone wants to get a leg up on the expansion, the best bet would be to get some good WW/rend gear while everyone is frantically selling and just fill up all your slots with p100 barbs levelled one after another with the same gear. (The 200-300m exp/hour variety)

http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/1f3ek1/guide_to_building_a_barb_in_108/

On the other hand, we'll probably be able to gain exp a lot faster once the expansion hits, so if you're in a crunch for play time it's probably better to get that backlog out of the way now and level faster later!

is gear dirt cheap right now?

Raticus79

Nope, I don't think anyone's really selling off cheap yet but it's a good time to watch for bids I think... people are probably putting up high buyouts and not worried yet

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm having some bizarre hardware problems that I'm hoping someone can help me diagnose...

I was playing yesterday for about 2 hours and was noticing that, whenever I spawned into an area or ran into a pack of mobs, there was about a 1s hangup. Almost like a micro-stutter. I was wandering FoM and had a point when the Keywarden came into view with an elite pack of those damn bulls/charging dudes. My screen froze for a second, and next thing I knew, I was dead (charge hit woo).

I've turned down graphics, turned off trilinear filtering in the D3Prefs.txt, turned hardware mode to 1...I've done most of the fixes I can think of doing from browsing forums. My graphics are 750m in SLI and I have 16 gigs of RAM. Processor is a i7-3630QM. My laptop should have NO trouble swallowing this game. And really, after the initial stutter, the game is completely playable with super smooth results.

Any idea what gives?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
What? Why?

Because they've been far and away the best spec in the game since it launched, and it's always easier to nerf the champ than to buff everyone else up to the same level.

Raticus79

Heh, some barbs are a bit mad about the crusader passive that lets them equip a 2H weapon with a shield (losing 10% move speed). It definitely steps on the toes of that old dual wield 2H weapons ability.

Deadly

If you're on the US, you can add me. I play in the evenings usually. I can help you get whatever you need.

But yes ... MP1 is going to have reduced chances.
Ok so I was just basing myself off of one bad run. MP1 is easy bar some off screen 1 hit kills from certain bosses, I'll try MP2 today. I read a couple of stuff and it says that a DH is better off farming MP1-3 anyways? How high is top tier dps?

Because they've been far and away the best spec in the game since it launched, and it's always easier to nerf the champ than to buff everyone else up to the same level.
I have no idea how strong barbs are, besides super strong, but I'd rather they buff everyone else. Seems funner for everyone that way.

Ok so I was just basing myself off of one bad run. MP1 is easy bar some off screen 1 hit kills from certain bosses, I'll try MP2 today. I read a couple of stuff and it says that a DH is better off farming MP1-3 anyways? How high is top tier dps?

DH's are succeeding at higher MP's by using a "grenades" build I believe. Anything MP1 and up will have the same quality drops.

Increasing the MP just increases the chances that it drops. It also helps with quests like the infernal machine. MP10 is a 100% as an example. The level 63 crafting recipes chances of dropping are also increased by MP.

Only bad thing about the expansion news is that MF'ing isn't as satisfying knowing there's going to be 3k dps weaps out there and god knows what kind of armors & jewelry. Then of course Loot 2.0 with much better chances of finding upgrades and also the huge drop rate buff legz are going to get.

Really the only reason I have to play is to keep gaining Paragon. My main is a WD @ P57. It's a grind and now with some incentive lost for farming items it's difficult to continue at times. Couple that with the AH prices most likely going down since all of our stuff will be worth a fraction of the current value by the time RoS releases, so it'll be harder to sell stuff. Guess I'll just play more casually for now, a few hours a week.

Ketch

I'm trying to play all the way through hardcore, using a barb this time. They are so damn OP, I've got it cranked up to mp 6 and I'm still just walking through elites and bosses, gonna have to put it up to 7.

Yeah Heavy's post is a large reason why I'm leveling my HD WD right now. 1-60 was a breeze. Inferno has been more challenging. I'm actually having to farm to progress right now.

Shifty76

The base skill is insufficiently strong and the bonus from the item too situational.

Dashing Strike is amazing!
Yeah the dmg sucks, but I don't know anyone who uses it for dmg.

When used correctly it allows movement faster than WW barbs, plus can give 100% immunity to freeze and jailer cc effects. My monk doesn't leave home without it

Shifty76

My DH is around 220k dps and I usually run MP8 with him. I can do MP10, but it's painfully slow on some elites. He very rarely dies though, so that's nice (running a grenades/RF build): http://d3up.com/b/252845/jaqen

Skab

Interesting. Act V takes place in more areas than just Westmarch. There will also be a swampy area called the Blood march, and a return to the Pandemonium Fortress.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Only bad thing about the expansion news is that MF'ing isn't as satisfying knowing there's going to be 3k dps weaps out there and god knows what kind of armors & jewelry. Then of course Loot 2.0 with much better chances of finding upgrades and also the huge drop rate buff legz are going to get.

Really the only reason I have to play is to keep gaining Paragon. My main is a WD @ P57. It's a grind and now with some incentive lost for farming items it's difficult to continue at times. Couple that with the AH prices most likely going down since all of our stuff will be worth a fraction of the current value by the time RoS releases, so it'll be harder to sell stuff. Guess I'll just play more casually for now, a few hours a week.

Yeah, for me too, I'm going to play simply to gain Paragon levels and to sell good loot that I find for gold. That, and I would still like to level one of every class up to 60. I have a wiz and barb there already, just need to get the other three there yet.

But yeah, casually for a few hours a week is how I plan to do it too. I mean, we've got like at least 8 months til the expansion hits, so there's lots of time!

Ken

What kind of stats should I be focusing on for monk? And which skills should I be using? I'm still on my first playthrough, level 24 I think.

Shifty76

What kind of stats should I be focusing on for monk? And which skills should I be using? I'm still on my first playthrough, level 24 I think.

Dex, crit chance, crit dmg, avg dmg (on jewelry), IAS. If you're using One WIth Everything passive (I'd recommend it as it makes gearing much cheaper) pick a single resist and stack that wherever you can.

I wrote up a basic gearing guide with some recommendations on reddit a while back that I'd recommend taking a look through: http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo3Monks/wiki/buying

Opiate

Dexterity is your primary attribute, of course. Every point of dexterity increases your DPS by 1%.

For leveling, you can keep the stats simple. Dexterity, vitality, and sockets (which you can socket with dexterity or rubies for socketed weapons).

Long term, once you hit 60, the stats become much more complicated. You'll want some of each of these:

Dexterity
Vitality
All Resistance
Individual resistance (if you are using one with everything passive skill)
Crit Chance
Attack Speed
Crit Damage
Sockets
Life Steal

You can also add:

Life%
Life on hit
Spirit Regen
Armor

And several others as you see fit.

Others have mentioned what stats to focus on but I would strongly recommend that you try all the skills and runes (or as many as possible) while leveling up. It keeps the game interesting to try out new stuff and it's something you probably won't be able to do once you reach the higher difficulties of inferno where you'll need to min-max and thus shoehorn your character into few viable builds.

Jedi2016

It doesn't really seem worthwhile to worry about gear while leveling. Obviously take the upgrades where you can find them, but I'm not worrying about hitting up the AH or anything for low-level gear.

That said, I'm having a lot of survivability issues on my monk (lv47), especially in fights against elites with ground-based attacks like Molten or Plagued, since it's hard to keep my distance and still be of any use at all in killing them. I'm basically stacking all of the self-healing skills and passives to stay alive. I did just get my first life-steal piece yesterday, so that might help a bit. At this level, though, it's hard to find resistance gear and such, and it doesn't really add up like it will later on at lv60/70.

I just watched all the gamescom d3 videos and my hope for this game has returned :D I have everything at 60 and my WD is around para 75. Is there any formula out to figure out what para to get all the classes too for max account para in reapers?
http://www.diabro3.com this site seems amazing so far :D I haven't played in a long time so I'm not sure how old that site is but it seems pretty correct on recommending which MP level to farm on.

eek5

Dashing Strike is amazing!
Yeah the dmg sucks, but I don't know anyone who uses it for dmg.

When used correctly it allows movement faster than WW barbs, plus can give 100% immunity to freeze and jailer cc effects. My monk doesn't leave home without it

I love DS. Maybe you can't do an entire build around that legendary but it can definitely be a useful piece as part of a build. I use DS to move around and gather packs before I EP/Bell spam them. If I could save enough spirit to EP or bell spam a couple more times then it'd be completely worth it in the build I farm with.

Shifty76

It doesn't really seem worthwhile to worry about gear while leveling. Obviously take the upgrades where you can find them, but I'm not worrying about hitting up the AH or anything for low-level gear.

That said, I'm having a lot of survivability issues on my monk (lv47), especially in fights against elites with ground-based attacks like Molten or Plagued, since it's hard to keep my distance and still be of any use at all in killing them. I'm basically stacking all of the self-healing skills and passives to stay alive. I did just get my first life-steal piece yesterday, so that might help a bit. At this level, though, it's hard to find resistance gear and such, and it doesn't really add up like it will later on at lv60/70.

At that level you're probably better off grabbing life on hit weapons as opposed to life steal ones. Unless you mean plvl 47?

Jedi2016

At that level you're probably better off grabbing life on hit weapons as opposed to life steal ones. Unless you mean plvl 47?
Nope.. lol. Actual lv47.. hehe. Not a big fan of the "play the game over and over again to level" mechanic, so I'm only on Nightmare Act IV. Playing a monk, by the way.

How exactly does the "life on hit" work? Is it per "attack" (button press) or per actual hit? Because I've got some attacks like Way of the Hundred Fists that hit multiple times during a single button press. And others like Seven-Sided Strike, or the passive damage hits from Sweeping Wind?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom