• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So, came across an old Jay quote that supports my hopes of the Necro coming back in the expansion.

I will continue to set myself up for disappointment.

That would be nice, but I doubt the necro will be the new class. Think of what they already have covered as far as classes from D2:

Barbarian - straight up new version of the Barb from D2 (STR)
Witch Doctor - new version of a Necro style minion class (INT)
Monk - fills similar role as Paladin (DEX)
Demon Hunter - range class similar to Amazon (DEX)
Wizard - sorceress type class (INT)

All of the new classes in D3 have direct parallels to the five stock classes from vanilla D2. So, most likely the new class (or two new classes if we are lucky) in the expansion will most probably have direct parallels to the two missing classes from D2, the two that came with the LoD expansion:

Druid (STR)
Assassin (DEX)

D3 needs another strength class, and the new druid would be a simple choice to fill that gap. The second class could be either dex or int. I'd wager it will be dex, simply because an Assassin-like replacement would be the easier path rather than be original in any way, which is probably why Blizzard will go that way.

It would be nice to be surprised if they did something awesome and different, but they seem to be playing it fairly safe when it comes to the classes in the game.

Skab

That would be nice, but I doubt the necro will be the new class. Think of what they already have covered as far as classes from D2:

Barbarian - straight up new version of the Barb from D2 (STR)
Witch Doctor - new version of a Necro style minion class (INT)
Monk - fills similar role as Paladin (DEX)
Demon Hunter - range class similar to Amazon (DEX)
Wizard - sorceress type class (INT)

All of the new classes in D3 have direct parallels to the five stock classes from vanilla D2. So, most likely the new class (or two new classes if we are lucky) in the expansion will most probably have direct parallels to the two missing classes from D2, the two that came with the LoD expansion:

Druid (STR)
Assassin (DEX)

D3 needs another strength class, and the new druid would be a simple choice to fill that gap. The second class could be either dex or int. I'd wager it will be dex, simply because an Assassin-like replacement would be the easier path rather than be original in any way, which is probably why Blizzard will go that way.

It would be nice to be surprised if they did something awesome and different, but they seem to be playing it fairly safe when it comes to the classes in the game.

See, I don't really agree with that. As far as the D3 classes go, Barb and Wizards are basically just new versions of existing D2 classes, Monks and DHs are mash ups of multiple D2 classes, and the WD is a bastardization of a class.

Monk has Assassin and Paladin aspects. Demon Hunter has Assassin and Amazon aspects.

Witch Doctors are weird, as they have pets, but they are NOT a pet class. As a WD, I do not use my pets for my damage. I use my garg to distract things. The rest of my damage is all from me casting direct damage spells. WDs have "poison" spells, but poison is a different thing D3 than it was in D2. So, WD basically has tanking pets, of which he can only have a very small number of out at a time, DoTs, and then just direct damage spells.

I said this way back before the game released, but WDs have more in common with WoWs Warlocks than they do D2s Necros.

Druids and Necros are the two classes from D2 that I feel are really missing. Druids would fit the missing str slot perfectly, I agree. But I see no reason why Necros couldn't show up either.

Who knows, the hints of two expansions could be right and we could get two classes both expansions, and end up with 3 each.

"I can't keep up with those rich folks who can afford the better stuff. My character sucks, I'll never catch up, I hate this game"

For many, the enjoyment of the game is derived from the character's status (power relative to others). For someone who's poor in real life, they no longer have the ability to escape and reign supreme in this virtual arena.

This would be rad.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
if they took money and items out of the economy in some sort of efficient manner, AH prices would level out as well, and blizzard would probably make more money off it too.

although i dont know why they would REALLY want to eliminate gold from the economy when people can just re-sell it to each other over and over, more than they probably would otherwise.

Xpac is going to bring back the Paladin

The twist? It's the WoW paladin.

But we already have that
Templar armor lulz.

And people talking about the auction house? May not have started out this way (and certainly not before it was released into the wild), but it has become a detriment to the game. Both gold and real-money versions (they're equivalent anyway since the people that use the RMAH would have likely bought gold through whatever means to spend in the GAH or bought from players directly had it not existed.)
Sentence was confusing but I hope you get the point.

---

Anyway - new Xpac. If there's only one new class, it has to be a STR one. Most likely candidates are some sort of dark paladin/death knight equivalent or a druid-esque character.

Nothing else really to discuss about it until we get new info tomorrow. All the discussion about what needs to be changed/fixed/added has pretty much been run into the ground.

Skab

Seems were getting a trailer tomorrow.

http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/diablo-3-expansion-trailer-rated

Also, the teaser at the top of the Blizzard’s official Chinese service provider’s Diablo 3 site has revealed some of the angels and the black soulstone.

reaper-of-souls-08-1024x314.jpg

Svafnir

Looks like I am staying up for 2:30am pst to see the trailer. Hopefully they put it up online asap... there is no stream of the conference right?

Skab

Crusader class and one act announced so far.

Level cap up to 70.

New act takes place in Westmarch.

Crusader takes after the Paladin. Mid range, uses shields and flails.

Going to be a transmogrifying artisan. People will enjoy that.

Not sure how I feel about "smart loot". They wouldn't have to do something that "cheats" like that if they had implemented stats/items better in the first place with either no "primary" stats, or no primary stats on gear (covered through level up/allocation or other methods).

Information still seems limited as of yet. Cinematic trailer super quality work as always, but the gameplay trailer didn't show anything that I really want to know about.

Oh and apparently they'll actually have an endgame now with truly random 15-20 minute dungeons for that purpose.

ZenaxPure

That new act has to be hard as balls for a shield (defence) based class to make any sense.

Just because it has a shield doesn't really mean it's a defensive class, it would be pretty easy to make a shield work with offensive skills in one way or another. There are so many different things they could do with it it's hard to even pin down how they will from what little we know.

Celegus

Oh lawd, so back in for the expansion. Paladin/Templar/Holy Knight is by far my favorite archetype in any game ever, so for that to be the one coming? AMAZING. Loot changes sound interesting (account bound stuff, finally!) and the randomized dungeon we've all wanted will finally exist. Consider me hyped!

Celegus

Posted this in the gaming thread, but might as well share it here too.

Far right skill. Hammerdins rejoice!

Yeeeeees!!!! And remembering back, D2 didn't quite completely take my life over until LoD came out. Maybe the same will happen again!

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
The gaming thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=657137

Level 70 weapon, nearly 3x the DPS without socket? Well, my gear's now worth about three cents, lol

Some good clarifications here:
http://www.diablofans.com/topic/101...f-souls-teaser-and-opening-cinematic/#twitter
"also, what happens to the people who've already leveled up in Paragon?
@peli_can_flip Bonuses are retroactive. I.E. If you have two p100 heroes right now, the current plan is that you'd have 200 points in ROS. (Twitter)"

Ok, so everyone's going to want to make 10 x paragon 50 characters to max out those paragon points quickly. Get to 500 points in like 1/100 the time it would take to get 5 x 100.

turnbuckle

The gaming thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=657137

Level 70 weapon, nearly 3x the DPS without socket? Well, my gear's now worth about three cents, lol

Some good clarifications here:
http://www.diablofans.com/topic/101...f-souls-teaser-and-opening-cinematic/#twitter
"also, what happens to the people who've already leveled up in Paragon?
@peli_can_flip Bonuses are retroactive. I.E. If you have two p100 heroes right now, the current plan is that you'd have 200 points in ROS. (Twitter)"

Ok, so everyone's going to want to make 10 x paragon 50 characters to max out those paragon points quickly. Get to 500 points in like 1/100 the time it would take to get 5 x 100.

Doubly good way of trying to encourage the use of multiple classes. Would be nice if they upped the character limit to 12 so we could have one of each sex again.

I'm excited for the expansion but I just find kb+mouse gaming to be too painful on my wrists and hands. I've tried just about everything, but it looks like I'll be playing this on the console ghetto in the future.

More excited than I expected to be, the expansion and changes sound great. So far.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
HYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE!

Raticus79

Here's how I predict the paragon points will work:

- no more individual paragon levels, we just get one account-wide "paragon points level" with no cap. Each character has their own pool of assignable points based on that account-wide paragon level.

- it's not a 1:1 link for a paragon level becoming a paragon point. There are no individual paragon levels, so the idea of making a bunch of characters to rank up paragon points by blowing through the low paragon levels quickly wouldn't work.

- Accounts with 5 paragon level 100s probably won't get 500 paragon points, since the experience on the account-wide uncapped paragon level is probably going to follow a curve similar to the current system. (So, for example, the 5x100 could wind up with 200 paragon points)

It pretty much has to be this way because otherwise we're going to be rerolling characters constantly and burning through paragon levels 1-20 or whatever to rank up the points as quickly as possible, and we would hardly ever play the "main" those point were assigned to (in the scenario where points are earned on any character and assigned to a single character)

Mengy

Here's how I predict the paragon points will work:

- no more individual paragon levels, we just get one account-wide "paragon points level" with no cap. Each character has their own pool of assignable points based on that account-wide paragon level.

- it's not a 1:1 link for a paragon level becoming a paragon point. There are no individual paragon levels, so the idea of making a bunch of characters to rank up paragon points by blowing through the low paragon levels quickly wouldn't work.

- Accounts with 5 paragon level 100s probably won't get 500 paragon points, since the experience on the account-wide uncapped paragon level is probably going to follow a curve similar to the current system. (So, for example, the 5x100 could wind up with 200 paragon points)

It pretty much has to be this way because otherwise we're going to be rerolling characters constantly and burning through paragon levels 1-20 or whatever to rank up the points as quickly as possible, and we would hardly ever play the "main" those point were assigned to (in the scenario where points are earned on any character and assigned to a single character)

Yep. Basically anytime you play any character at level 70 you will be earning XP towards your paragon level. The real question is how are the character stat points allocated? Is it one community pool you divy out to between all of your characters, or do you get points to spend per character?

Raticus79

Yep. Basically anytime you play any character at level 70 you will be earning XP towards your paragon level. The real question is how are the character stat points allocated? Is it one community pool you divy out to between all of your characters, or do you get points to spend per character?

I think it's got to be "hit paragon 200, each character's pool is now 200 paragon points".

I think this is probably confirmed by them saying "there's no loss if your hardcore character dies". If that hardcore character had a bunch of points invested from a common pool, they would have to be returned to the pool, and they didn't mention that happening

turnbuckle

It's pretty nice to see mostly very positive posts in the thread on the gaming side. Some people won't be won over, there are still very legit reasons for some people to be upset, but for the most part it looks like Blizzard is hitting most of the right notes for disenfranchised Diablo players and those that are still playing too.

Hey everyone, wasn't playing for awhile, had some stuff going on moved from NY to VA.

I'll be streaming and playing a lot all week. We can do ubers or anything if you want Juices#1991 on NA servers. Trying to hit Paragon 100 finally also.

I'm streaming so you can watch or stop in here http://www.twitch.tv/sometimesimepic

Playing alone is getting boring, Neoism where you at?!

Mengy

so guys I should just get my barb who is PL66 to 100 and not bother with anyone else.... Come the exp all my character will be PL100 I have a monk that is PL26...?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PsgUzcAAuUQ

My plan is to level my three sub-60 toons up to 60 and then get all five classes up to around Paragon 20 or 30. If you look at the paragon curve, levels 1-40 are so much easier to get than the higher levels, so my hunch is that it will be faster to level five toons to P20 each than it will be to level one toon to P100:

neoism

blue post....
The Crusader class is kind of like a walking tank, and they use Strength as their primary attribute. I think that really fits the Crusader concept, who is a zealous holy warrior wrapped in heavy armor, and wields punishing weapons (like a flail) with a massive tower shield. A lot of your Barbarian gear will be a good fit for them.

awesome..

kennah

I think that instead of totaling the 'levels' you'd have for PL, they will total the Experience Earned and then assign a new Paragon Level based on that. Makes more sense

We new it would be a STR based class. I'm curious to see what skills the crusader has. The monk already has a lot of the "team boosting" skills and auras already.

I'm super stoked on the totally random dungeon loot runs too. We've only been asking for that for like 2 years. lol

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I may try and bring my WD to PL50 or so. I also should probably get all the classes to 60 so I've got them. But then again, with the changes coming to gear and such, it may be just as easy to do it after the expansion drops.

Also, is it worth getting multiple high level paragon classes with the new expansion, or is there something that renders the concept moot?

Shouta

I really hope they retool a lot of the skills/runes for the old classes to provide more unique builds in this. Like Monk has no real use for Inner Sanctuary or Dashing Strike most of the time, especially with the way the game is built currently. I had a lot of cool ideas floating around in my head but Blizzard would never listen.

Raticus79

I really hope they retool a lot of the skills/runes for the old classes to provide more unique builds in this. Like Monk has no real use for Inner Sanctuary or Dashing Strike most of the time, especially with the way the game is built currently. I had a lot of cool ideas floating around in my head but Blizzard would never listen.

Yup, hopefully. At least we should get some new skills and probably a new rune on each of the old ones to go along with the level 70 cap.

Yup, hopefully. At least we should get some new skills and probably a new rune on each of the old ones to go along with the level 70 cap.

IMO, the lack of build diversity has a lot of do with the lack of weapons and armor that force people to try different builds. More elemental damage modifiers are a good example. I've always wanted to be a fire monk because SW's fire rune is awesome. Mix that with backlash and maybe the lashing tail kick fire rune as an example.

We new it would be a STR based class. I'm curious to see what skills the crusader has. The monk already has a lot of the "team boosting" skills and auras already.

I'm super stoked on the totally random dungeon loot runs too. We've only been asking for that for like 2 years. lol

I'm hoping crusaders have taunts or other ways to draw aggro. would fit well with the heavily armored concept.

Shouta

IMO, the lack of build diversity has a lot of do with the lack of weapons and armor that force people to try different builds. More elemental damage modifiers are a good example. I've always wanted to be a fire monk because SW's fire rune is awesome. Mix that with backlash and maybe the lashing tail kick fire rune as an example.

A bit more synergy between the skills is needed too though and not just the gear.

For example, can you imagine Inner Sanctuary becoming a stationary Tornado that sucks in enemies? How about a rune on Cyclone Strike that gave an extra damage bonus based on distance the enemy has been sucked in? That would be one really interesting way of setting a build up. Or how about having Inner Sanctuary bounce enemies off that run into for X damage, dealing y damage to others it bumps into it? you could combine it with LTK to deal more damage and the like.

That's the kind of synergy that D3 is kind of lacking in the rune system. More interesting abilities to provide more interesting builds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom