• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

V_Arnold

The site says coming 2014.

But by Blizzard standards that can mean it'll come out as late as 2015.

Nope, actually no chance of that happening. This will come out in the first half of 2014. Beta this year, content seems to already been done, Loot 2.0 in works for a long time now, all systems in place.... just to put things in perspective, in Q2 2011, Blizz were still making changes to the skill system, dropping their "skill variables dropping as loot" concept. Compared to that, things are set in titanium in this one, whether a ladder system will make in or not.

Skab

I can't wait for more info on this. The stat allocation stuff is by far the most interesting thing I've seen about the expansion. If you could get must have stats from the paragon system instead of being forced to buy gear that has it, a giant chunk of equipment suddenly becomes viable.

To quote myself from the last page, that stats you can use paragon points on are:

Stats are separated into Core: Str, Dex, Int, Vit
Attack: Crit Chance, Crit Damage, Attack Speed, Cooldown Reduction
Defense: Health %, Resist All, Armor, Dodge %, Block Chance %
Utility: Run Speed, Magic Find, Gold Pickup Radius.

There seems to be a cap of 50 for most if not all of them.

Core stats go up by+ 5 each point.
Attack speed, CDR, and Crit Chance all go up by .2 per point (which means 10% maxed out.) Crit damage is 1% per point.
Resists are +5 per point, health and armor are .5, and dodge is .2.
Movement speed is .5, MF and pick up radius aren't fully known.

About this weapon-

I really want to know what those stars are about. There looks to be three stars after the weapon name, and the Dashing Strike stat has a star by it. And also what they did to it to make it account bound. Did they go over this somewhere yet? This thing needs to come out because its got me excited for the game again in a way I didn't think was possible.

The word is that the stars are ranks/levels, and that you can roll higher levels/ranks of the same legendary. Higher rank/level means better stats.

Skab

Oh, and as far as other new stuff for stats goes, there is also a new gem, Diamond, that gives

​Weapons: increases damage to Elites (3% @ Flawed)
Helms: reduces cooldown of skills (11% @ Flawed)
Armor: increases All Resistance (10 @ Flawed)

V_Arnold

Oh, and as far as other new stuff for stats goes, there is also a new gem, Diamond, that gives

This, however, is a game changer. I love it.

Dahbomb

Among stuff like cooldown reduction on Gem (Diamond on Helm), weapons/items and on the Paragon skills... I wonder what the cap is going to be for cooldown reduction. Something like a 5 second CD Serenity would be game breaking, you would be invincible for pretty much the entire fight.

I really want to know what those stars are about. There looks to be three stars after the weapon name, and the Dashing Strike stat has a star by it. And also what they did to it to make it account bound. Did they go over this somewhere yet? This thing needs to come out because its got me excited for the game again in a way I didn't think was possible.
The blue modifier is just ordinary stats.

Yellow modifier is a much better stat than blue and is usually limited to specific gear. I would say this includes stuff like movement speed, maybe MF, IAS. These are the stats that would be limited/capped in the Paragon levels minus the Core stats. Maybe.. not sure could

Star modifiers are class specific stats.

The 3 legendary is probably a new ranking for the Legendaries. I think current Legendaries are going to be 1 star. Someone also stated that starred legendaries will have extra visual effects when they drop.

So, I've grown tired of playing my wizard like a melee character. I've been a CM wizard for so long now, getting into melee range and mashing all of my buttons as quick as I can. Chucking nados, dropping meteors, popping diamond skin, explosive blasting, yada yada yada, it's not how I ever envisioned nor wanted to play a wizard. Yes I know it's the fastest most efficient way to farm the highest MP levels right now. I don't care, I'm tired of it.

So I spent the weekend trying out new skills and builds. Not reading about them online, just creating my own builds and synergies between skills and trying to find a playstyle that I enjoy but that also works for me.

I really wanted to make a frost wizard, using lightning to regain AP and throwing blizzards, frost novas, and cold hydras around, and using cold passives to boost it all. It played fun but didn't seem to be all that good even down at MP2. It was great on trash but I had difficulty with most elite packs, and even bosses gave me trouble.

Next I worked on an all arcane build. I loved using arcane orb while leveling, so I decided to try to make a build around that. Used seeker magic missile as my main coupled with arcane nova orb, while running with both magic weapon and familiar up. Arcane hydra is on A while teleport is on S to get me out of hot spots. For passives I have glass cannon, illusionist, an temporal flux. Temporal flux slows down all enemies by 60% whenever I do arcane damage, which all of my skills are doing. Since I have 24% run speed, and I have a good amount of LoH and APoC, this build is actually a lot of fun to play. It allows me to kite very well, the hydra slows mobs down if I need to run a bit, and then I turn and chuck orbs that explode into arcane novas on impact. I literally tear up trash packs, and surprisingly it seems decent against most elite packs too. Teleport with illusionist allows me to handle jailers and wallers fairly easily.

It may not be as effecient as the old standard CM build is, but I sure as hell am enjoying it more. And it's really good in groups, as I get to simply sit back and chuck hydras, orbs, and missiles from a distance.

You should like the next patch. They've expressed an interest in nerfing CM and opening up different skills. The don't like the narrow choices Wizz has to choose from. The wand is a clear indicator that Hyrda will probably get a buff.

Dahbomb

Narrow choices only emerge due to the need for the tippity top in effecient builds. When people find the most effecient build for a character the other builds fall to the way side. Samething applied to the DH at the start of D3 when Nether Tentacles were broken which basically made every other Hatred using move shit in comparison.

WW Barbs and CM Wiz will most definitely get a nerf. Would not be surprised to see a OWE nerf as well. However we will be seeing way more buffs than nerfs... at least I hope so.

V_Arnold

Narrow choices only emerge due to the need for the tippity top in effecient builds. When people find the most effecient build for a character the other builds fall to the way side. Samething applied to the DH at the start of D3 when Nether Tentacles were broken which basically made every other Hatred using move shit in comparison.

WW Barbs and CM Wiz will most definitely get a nerf. Would not be surprised to see a OWE nerf as well. However we will be seeing way more buffs than nerfs... at least I hope so.

At the end of the day though, it is better to actually enjoy farming than to be more efficient and not enjoy it at all, imho.

I think those two legendary items we've seen are clear indicators that certain rather unused skills will get a buff on top of some nefs. I've not used OWE in forever, so I won't miss it, and I think an AR gem goes a long way to alleviating that nerf.

I also agree that people use the best most efficient builds, but wiz and barb seems to really exemplify this. Monk, IMO, can do a lot of things and as a results I've seen a ton of different ideas and sills at MP10. Different Mantra's, different spirit spenders etc etc. WD seems to have a few build options too, though it does get more narrow at the top.

I'm really curious about DH too though. AS bad as Wiz can be, I've pretty much only seen grenades build be successful post MP8.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

11% cd reduction at flawed seems like an awful lot. Even if you gain only, say, 1% per gem grade, we're looking at 20-25% cd reduction for marquise diamonds. Add even more cd reduction with paragon levels and we're looking at some insane numbers here. Not that I'm complaining, but I'm surprised.

There has to be a catch, like i64-70 mobs having high resists to procs or something.

Skab

11% cd reduction at flawed seems like an awful lot. Even if you gain only, say, 1% per gem grade, we're looking at 20-25% cd reduction for marquise diamonds. Add even more cd reduction with paragon levels and we're looking at some insane numbers here. Not that I'm complaining, but I'm surprised.

There has to be a catch, like i64-70 mobs having high resists to procs or something.

Assuming it does go up 1% per grade, then you would be at 24% at marquise. You can get a max of 10% from paragon, so 34% max.

34% isn't really that big for most skills on its own, but combined with other things, yeah, it will be pretty great.

If my math/memory is right, maxed out CDR through paragon, a diamond (assuming 1% per rank is correct, of course), and with runes and passives you would have, say, a 30 second cooldown fetish army on a WD. And thats with just one rune and one passive. Combine it with something like Grave Injustice and suddenly I might actually be willing to pick that skill up.

Honestly, while I'm really excited for the Crusader, I think I'm more excited to see what new stuff and what changes the existing classes get.

Edit: Was slightly off in my math, it would bring it down to around 45 seconds, not 30. Still!

Dahbomb

Resposting from the expansion thread on the Gaming side:

I am curious to see what these new Bounty and Exploration modes are. Does anyone have any idea on what they might be?

New Diamond gem is looking really good particularly that Helm ability to reduce cooldown on spells. That's a big affix they are rolling out in the expansion.

Nephalem Valor now starts earlier in the game level wise meaning no more reaching lvl60 to experience it. I guess that's a buff for casual players. Every new boss also guarantees a legendary.

Run speed cap is increased which is amazing. Its too easy to reach run speed cap in the game, I want to be the Flash in the game!

Also Enchanting gear makes it account bound. Very smart change.

V_Arnold

I am so hyped at the changes.... between the loot runs, paragons, guaranteed legendary drops...

All they need to do now is announce a new gameplay mode, called the Ladder. They do not even need anything, just new character slots and a clean economy for the AH. People will enslave themselves to this game then. (But at this point, I am fine if they do not announce it...yet I hope they do :p)

turnbuckle

To quote myself from the last page, that stats you can use paragon points on are:

There seems to be a cap of 50 for most if not all of them.

Core stats go up by+ 5 each point.
Attack speed, CDR, and Crit Chance all go up by .2 per point (which means 10% maxed out.) Crit damage is 1% per point.
Resists are +5 per point, health and armor are .5, and dodge is .2.
Movement speed is .5, MF and pick up radius aren't fully known.

The word is that the stars are ranks/levels, and that you can roll higher levels/ranks of the same legendary. Higher rank/level means better stats.

Hype leveled up to 99.8/100!

Thanks for the info!

Dahbomb

Guaranteed legendary drop is only for new bosses. Does not impact long time players whatsoever, its only for casuals. It will basically keep them playing until at least beating Inferno because just the idea of getting a new Legendary is enough of a motivation.

New Diamond gem is looking really good particularly that Helm ability to reduce cooldown on spells. That's a big affix they are rolling out in the expansion.

Nephalem Valor now starts earlier in the game level wise meaning no more reaching lvl60 to experience it. I guess that's a buff for casual players. Every new boss also guarantees a legendary.

Also Enchanting gear makes it account bound. Very smart change.

That new diamond is nice. especially in the helm. Monk and WD could have some pretty awesome builds that result from a large cool down. My heads kinds spinning with all the possibilities.

What do you DH's, Barbs and Wiz's think about reduced cool downs and how it could open up your build?

Neph starting at easier levels is great for the casual player. It will increase their base MF and GF and make leveling 1-60 easier with an EXP gain too.

Making gear account bound on enchantment is awesome too.

The expansion will basically be a "reset" since current gear will drop in value and new gear makes it in. I'm hoping the addition of more account bound ways to acquire gear will limit the amount of stuff available / sold on the open economy. I hope the Mystic is

A. Not cheap (I would also like a gold sink)
B. Very worth ones times.

Creating a great gold / item sink in the game is worthless if there's no reason for people to use it. If it's worthwhile and people use it, I could see the Mystic having a noticeable affect on how long it takes before the AH is flooded beyond repair again.

Dahbomb

AH is still going to be a very powerful tool especially if the crafting/enchanting mats are expensive. Plus of course who knows how valuable those Diamonds are going to be. I think Rubies and Emeralds are still going to be on top.

BTW there is a very interesting Crusader passive. He gets 34 resistance for each type of gem he has on and he gets an additional bonus if he has all 5.

So he can have up to 204 All Res from that passive alone if he uses all 5 gems (if I am reading this correctly).

There's already gold sinks in the game, the crafting is a considerable gold sink as it is especially if you are doing like thousands of crafts. The good thing is that the better crafts now require Demonic Essences which require you to actually play that game. Now THAT is a smart mechanic added to the game. In fact I think more crafting materials should be account bound like Brimstones. Speaking of which we definitely need better Legendary crafting recipes.

There will be a reset but those who are already on top will remain on top. It's a soft reset at best especially since your current Paragon levels will be converted.

I think they took the legendaries out of DIII. ALL DAY!

I'm seeing spirit stones and wands, oh and Tasker and Theos.

Wasn't there some good legendaries at one point?

AH is still going to be a very powerful tool especially if the crafting/enchanting mats are expensive. Plus of course who knows how valuable those Diamonds are going to be. I think Rubies and Emeralds are still going to be on top.

BTW there is a very interesting Crusader passive. He gets 34 resistance for each type of gem he has on and he gets an additional bonus if he has all 5.

So he can have up to 204 All Res from that passive alone if he uses all 5 gems (if I am reading this correctly).

There's already gold sinks in the game, the crafting is a considerable gold sink as it is especially if you are doing like thousands of crafts. The good thing is that the better crafts now require Demonic Essences which require you to actually play that game. Now THAT is a smart mechanic added to the game. In fact I think more crafting materials should be account bound like Brimstones. Speaking of which we definitely need better Legendary crafting recipes.

There will be a reset but those who are already on top will remain on top. It's a soft reset at best especially since your current Paragon levels will be converted.

Yeah I always liked how they require players to actually play to get the DE. Though I don't see the crafting as a large gold sink. One of the reasons is BECAUSE it requires DE's in order to do the craft. Super high up people with billions can't craft endlessly until they get their BIS item. They can only spend as much as the essences they find allow.

The marquise gems were also a gold sink, but again not a very good one. They're nice, but really only represent a one time purchase as they're also BoA.

The reason I would like to see the Mystic be expensive is because I see that as an endless way to take money out of the game.

Dahbomb

Money is not an issue, people who use AH/Bots will always have a shit ton of money. You just need more mechanics like BoA or Demon Essences where actually playing the game is required to get the best of the best. AH is fine for Low to Mid tier stuff though.

Also Ladder is still a must. Curious to know what the Bounty/Exploration features are.

Money is not an issue, people who use AH/Bots will always have a shit ton of money. You just need more mechanics like BoA or Demon Essences where actually playing the game is required to get the best of the best. AH is fine for Low to Mid tier stuff though.

Also Ladder is still a must. Curious to know what the Bounty/Exploration features are.

Money is an issue. Maybe not as large an issue as an over abundance of items, but still an issue. IMO, a constant money destructor is needed as well.

Dahbomb

Money is an issue. Maybe not as large an issue as an over abundance of items, but still an issue. IMO, a constant money destructor is needed as well.
Over abundance of items plus botting plus AH ensures an obscene amount of gold in the economy. Simple gold sinks will not solve that issue.

Calidor

Indeed, I hope they make a new ladder season with a fresh economy. I started a new HC char the other day after the announcement and my old gold amount was worthless. On softcore I'm sure it is even worse

Dahbomb

Yo I just came across this "leaked" D3 expansion detail. Some of the stuff actually sort of made it in!

http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/diablo-3-expansion-leaked-feature-list

Basically cliff notes version (stuff that isn't already announced):

*New HUB system through which you can go to any act through Waypoint system
*Guilds added
*NV stack cap increased up to 10. Each stack gives 10% bonus.
*Unique monsters (the purple ones) are buffed with better loot drops and give NV stacks.
*Goblins now have a chance to drop tomes that give you access to new secret levels (could be one of the two unannounced features like Bounties or could just be altered into what is Nephalem Trials).
*Ladder added
*Charms added
*More PVP modes

Note that some stuff sounds similar like Diamond but they are a bit different in those leaks. It's very possible that stuff changed between that time.

And this stuff is from June 15th 2013 and it correctly called a lot of stuff like the Mystics, Paragon 2.0 although stuff like Paragon is quite different from what it was but you could tell the basic core ideas were there.

This was really interesting to look at. I am a new player and currently am only level 39 with my DH. Here is my terrible gear I have found so far http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/VWdrewzBie-6802/hero/35502489 :D

Interesting to see your build too, I used a Noxxic guide at first then said stuff it and started playing around with all the skills finding something I enjoyed. Figured until I am getting destroyed in Hell/Inferno I will just have fun with it. I always thought Chakram was the best for AOE but maybe it just looked that way. Going to have to try out Hungering arrow again now. Though I have noticed you have a rune or something on it that I haven't unlocked yet so maybe that is why.

Note: I was donated the two higher end gems of the lot.

Velocity

So, it's been a while since I've posted here. I noticed there doesn't seem to be a lot of talk on the console version of D3, but I had planned to get it for PS3 when it comes out. It sounds all nice and couch friendly, and no AH. Is there not going to be an OT for the console version? Not that it really needs one, just curious since it is kind of a seperate game.

Anyways, I've been playing D3 off and on again, but most of my friends list is filled with stagnant players. I'm US West, so if anyone wants to add me up, that would be pretty awesome. Battletag is Kreeze#1805. I'm down for new character leveling, inferno farming, whatever. I've never done infernal machine runs, so that'd be new for me. I just like to have fun, don't really care about being uber.

So something pretty cool happened tonight. I was just in DatModz channel on Twitch he had a giveaway and outta mad people SometimesImEpic came up. Thats me I freaked out. Oh yea and people should go watch him its pretty entertaining.

Anyways he starts rolling stuff and rolls ridiculous stuff I guess. He rolled a Unity first and got me an upgrade (Well I kinda liked my Life% Unity but he got me a Crit Damage Unity. Then he rolled an Inna's chest and rolled this...

Capture_zpsb676f87d.png

Heres the rest.

Capture5_zps6849808f.png
Capture2_zpsef698a69.png
Capture3_zps940849fc.png
Capture4_zps7cf9b054.png

I'll giveaway the Echoing and Skorn if anyone here wants it. Also was listening to Jrmints podcast pretty good so far but I'm headed to bed I'll wakeup and Diablo tomorrow morning and stream and listen to it again. Everyone should join.

V_Arnold

Hey guys I was on a Diablo 3 podcast discussing expansion hype.

Enjoy, let me know what you think.

http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/diablo-3-podcast-107-d3ros-gamescom-review-part-1

I was listening to this last night, and greatly enjoyed it, except for two things....

a. The part with the wow-Bashing was kinda frustrating. Especially when it comes to expansion gear-upgrade process: those who had great gear (and that means anyone in D3 who is capable of surviving MP6+) did not upgrade their epics to the first blue, and usually only threw away the items around the middle/late parts of the levelling content. And pandas are cool :p
b. What is up with Flux and his negativity regarding Reaper of souls launch? Yeah, people tend to forget that "this is blizzard", yet, it seriously seems like RoS is already in a very advanced state, they are not launching a beta for figuring out if the lv1-14 content is great or not. They have a known system, they play the game, they pretty much have the content from the looks of it - there is no way in hell that the game slips to 2015, and I would be shaking my head if this becomes a 2014 fall game either - because that is a timeslot for the new Wow exp , if not a bit sooner.

Jrmint

I was listening to this last night, and greatly enjoyed it, except for two things....

a. The part with the wow-Bashing was kinda frustrating. Especially when it comes to expansion gear-upgrade process: those who had great gear (and that means anyone in D3 who is capable of surviving MP6+) did not upgrade their epics to the first blue, and usually only threw away the items around the middle/late parts of the levelling content. And pandas are cool :p
b. What is up with Flux and his negativity regarding Reaper of souls launch? Yeah, people tend to forget that "this is blizzard", yet, it seriously seems like RoS is already in a very advanced state, they are not launching a beta for figuring out if the lv1-14 content is great or not. They have a known system, they play the game, they pretty much have the content from the looks of it - there is no way in hell that the game slips to 2015, and I would be shaking my head if this becomes a 2014 fall game either - because that is a timeslot for the new Wow exp , if not a bit sooner.

a. I was the only WoW player on the show and I was exaggerating to make a point with replacing gear. I realize you do not replace it until mid-way through leveling (except BC) but I was just making the point that people that play these loot driven games complain any time there is a gear reset, which I find pretty silly. Secondly, I agree the Pandas were pretty cool, but you know non-WoW players love to bash them.

b. I do agree it seems to be in a more advanced state. Keep in mind though that was just a vertical slice and they can make that slice of gameplay look as advanced as they like with the rest of the expansion not being nearly that advanced. I really hope that is not the case, which is why I predicted July 2014 release. Flux did make a good point though that when Josh Mosquiera said beta this year that could just mean friends and family and/or closed, with the open beta pushed until next spring. We'll have to see.

Thanks for listening.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'll giveaway the Echoing and Skorn if anyone here wants it. Also was listening to Jrmints podcast pretty good so far but I'm headed to bed I'll wakeup and Diablo tomorrow morning and stream and listen to it again. Everyone should join.

If you're just giving those away, I'd take either. My WD, Barb, and soon to be Monk could use them. None of my gear is of any real "value".

V_Arnold

Uhm, guys, if EU-gaf is about to come back or need some gear, I can help you out as well. Will make a montage of stuff like that soon.

Radec

I'm planning to go back to DIII and would be nice if I can get a hold of that Skorn (I haven't held once when it was first introduced.) if its okay. :D

If I had that 1h mace I almost think I would reinstall. Would fix all my Monk issues.

You want that 1h echo fury? Send Juices#1991 a request when you get on.

I'm US servers tho.

Nicoga you can have the Skorn if you want. Or Radec. Msg me on battle.net well see.

^ Nice stuff Arnold, amazing to see GAF doing some good stuff like always.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom