• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

So I bought this game a couple days ago. I'm a lvl 20 dh, Amy tips for what I should be concentrating on? Any advice would be great!

For now, have fun, experiment with skills and builds and try to get to level 60 as soon as you can. Don't worry too much about specific gear, just try to upgrade where you can. But when you hit level 45-50 or so buy a Reduced Level Requirement weapon (and maybe armour) from the AH and proceed to smash the shit out of everything for 10-15 very fun levels.

Pay attention to this thread for builds and gear and what not. Eventually you'll figure it out. Don't be scared to ask for advice, to add people to your friends list.

Demy

I'm trying to sell my old shoulders and rings on ah, but no bites so far. So I thought I'd see if anyone on gaf would like to buy them.
Battle tag: Djblakblak#1937

z6JlF.jpg

2.5m

6tNJc.jpg

3m

god i miss the lobbyesque d2 system so bad. i want to roll with 4 WDs :(

It was completely random. I mean everyone was on my friends list, but they were all recent additions when we all posted ID's and added people. 3 people jumped in my game ... all monks. We were using Mantra's we never use. It was hilarious. However ... we made quick work of the run. Even though I think I had 15-20K more DPS than the next highest monk we just steam rolled through everything.

MrDaravon

Jesus Christ I cannot play this game today. All of a sudden I'm dying 15+ times in Act 3. Then I figured I would try to progress in Act 4 for giggles, and Rakanoth has killed me about 10 times in a row, he completely one shots me no matter what. I've tried switching back to Cluster Arrow setup, still no go. What the fuck man.

kennah

Jesus Christ I cannot play this game today. All of a sudden I'm dying 15+ times in Act 3. Then I figured I would try to progress in Act 4 for giggles, and Rakanoth has killed me about 10 times in a row, he completely one shots me no matter what. I've tried switching back to Cluster Arrow setup, still no go. What the fuck man.

Did you accidentally right click the wrong gear?

I am apparently terrible then. My stuff seems to be largely better than yours except for the uber crit damage, but I'm also running Elemental Arrow. I tried the Cluster Bomb build you're running a couple of weeks ago, wasn't really my style at all honestly. I've also only got 37% MF including my Follower versus your 97%, so that's probably making a decent difference as far as the drops you're getting. When you're doing Act 3 runs do you die often? Since I upgraded I'm not dying nearly as much in Act 3, but I'm still dying just enough to be annoying and putting me off a bit from doing it.
I do not die often. I only die when I get careless, or extremely unlucky with affixes (fast/teleport/etc...), but that rarely happens.

I use cluster bombs because they hit for MEGA damage if you have high crit chance/crit damage. Once you learn where to place the shot, you'll be taking all elites down in 15 seconds or less, give or take 10 seconds depending on exra health.

Also devouring arrow is key for high crit damage because every time it pierces through the damage increase is monumental. Shooting those from a distance can kill basically anything relatively fast. Only 2 attacks that are necessary imo. I wouldn't use elemental arrow over cluster bombs unless your crit damage is insanely high.

pompidu

For now, have fun, experiment with skills and builds and try to get to level 60 as soon as you can. Don't worry too much about specific gear, just try to upgrade where you can. But when you hit level 45-50 or so buy a Reduced Level Requirement weapon (and maybe armour) from the AH and proceed to smash the shit out of everything for 10-15 very fun levels.

Pay attention to this thread for builds and gear and what not. Eventually you'll figure it out. Don't be scared to ask for advice, to add people to your friends list.
thanks! Is crafting items useful? Or am I just wasting weapons and losing money from not vendoring them.

kennah

thanks! Is crafting items useful? Or am I just wasting weapons and losing money from not vendoring them.

Yeah, you very likely won't get anything good from the artisans. It's very sad.

One thing I forgot to mention is to buy gems from the AH. Flawless Squares are the best price/performance ratio you'll find for your level. They will make a HUGE difference in what your equipment does for you. The reason is - Gems don't have a level requirement. So you can put a gem in your gear that gives you +30 to your stats, or +15 damage to your weapon. It all adds up very quickly.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
elfw5.jpg

Was praying for crit chance and/or attack speed when I saw that it was a tal ammy, but I guess beggers can't be choosers. The + life % is better than "reduces the duration of whatever the fuck" or some other useless thing, I guess.

larvi

Rakanoth is hell for pretty much any DH. I've solo'ed every other boss with the exception of him. I tried a bunch of different builds and couldn't find anything that works. From what I gather you either have to have really high DPS and get lucky and dodge his fast attacks everytime or go with a super high phys resistance tank build to beat him with a DH.

Rakanoth is hell for pretty much any DH. I've solo'ed every other boss with the exception of him. I tried a bunch of different builds and couldn't find anything that works. From what I gather you either have to have really high DPS and get lucky and dodge his fast attacks everytime or go with a super high phys resistance tank build to beat him with a DH.

Which goes to show how broken some aspects of the game are. As a monk it was probably the easiest part of act IV.

Man, I'm getting really discouraged with this game... I've went from Plevel 18-24 with only finding 1 legendary which was the barb throwing spear and that's all. I haven't found any items worth probably 500k either.. And that's running act 3!

Dahbomb

Man this is completely hilarious.

I have started playing a Barbarian. Now when I play a new character I don't even touch the AH because there is no point, I just steam roll through everything. I usually don't even bother picking up items unless they are upgrades to me. Eventually comes a point in time where I have to vendor my items because they are useless now as I have upgraded them. I also had a bunch of items that my class couldn't use but were rares with decent stats. I thought hey... let's just put these on the AH. So I put all my junk items on the AH at around 2000-3000.

Everything sold... E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G!!!!

Now I regret not selling my stuff earlier. There is like a whole market of items to sell to the 1-59 crowd. Anything with +Exp is instant sell.

A little help please

QeBqg.jpg

I checked comparable stats and nothing on the AH. There's a set piece that's got some vit / a little more intel and one more socket starting a 200 million so that's not helping me.

I think the MF roll is tossing it. The ALL RES roll was good too though and if it wasn't going to get VIT the %life should make up for it.

Haven't a clue where to start though.

Revoh

People on reddit are talking about an upcoming nerf to tornado barbs, that would suck if true.
I'm having so much fun steamrolling everything with my barb now, hopefully they just turn down a notch if they nerf it.

M.D

Just got my first legendary... I had no idea there were legendary items on my level (45)

Items on these levels don't really sell, do they?
I'm getting a lot of rare item drops, let's hope it continues when I'm level 60 :p

Edit:

yhMx8.jpg

Any chance to sell this thing? I'm guessing not, but I don't really know how the AH works. How do you guys value items?

Dahbomb

Most of the pieces like those are bid only, starting with around an average range of 5-10 million starting. That's if you want to go that route. I personally would put it at 20 million bid 50 million buyout but that's just me, no harm in going higher. There is no other piece like that on the AH, I am comparing chest pieces with those stats minus magic find but with 3 sockets instead.

People on reddit are talking about an upcoming nerf to tornado barbs, that would suck if true.
Oh shit I just started playing WW Barb.

To be honest that Sprint move is OP. There is no reason why every Barb shouldn't be running it.

Most of the pieces like those are bid only, starting with around an average range of 5-10 million starting. That's if you want to go that route. I personally would put it at 20 million bid 50 million buyout but that's just me, no harm in going higher. There is no other piece like that on the AH, I am comparing chest pieces with those stats minus magic find but with 3 sockets instead.

Yeah ... I tried lowering MF to around 12-15. I tired lowering the ALL RES to 70. I tried lowering the base life % too and nothing.

I'll either put it up for 10 million with no buyout or do the 20 mill with 50 mill buyout. It's looks like a pretty nice Act III viable MF piece for someone's set.

Yeah ... I tried lowering MF to around 12-15. I tired lowering the ALL RES to 70. I tried lowering the base life % too and nothing.

I'll either put it up for 10 million with no buyout or do the 20 mill with 50 mill buyout. It's looks like a pretty nice Act III viable MF piece for someone's set.

I'd put something like that on the AH for pretty high and then slowly lower the price if it continues not to sell. Maybe you get a bite. It's a pretty badass chest piece.

Revoh

Oh shit I just started playing WW Barb.
To be honest that Sprint move is OP. There is no reason why every Barb shouldn't be running it.

Me too.
It's OP but who cares? It's fun!
There's no PVP coming soon that I know of so why don't just let people have fun? I've already suffered and finished the game before the first nerf to inferno with my tank barb. It's was a pain and boring.
I just want to have fun farming now and with WW I'm getting that

Dahbomb

I put in 90 Intel, Life % (no value), All res 70 and 2 sockets. You get about a page worth of stuff to compare with. The fact that there is no mf piece on there means someone can potentially pay big for it. I would price high just to be safe.

Just got my first legendary... I had no idea there were legendary items on my level (45)

Items on these levels don't really sell, do they?
I'm getting a lot of rare item drops, let's hope it continues when I'm level 60 :p

Edit:

yhMx8.jpg

Any chance to sell this thing? I'm guessing not, but I don't really know how the AH works. How do you guys value items?

It's basically dex and a socket. The life after kill is pretty useless for stats and so is life steal (though at lower levels it might be worth more). You can also search the AH by the legndary name so do that without a price and see what ranges they come up in. It will probably sell, but nor for much.

I'd put something like that on the AH for pretty high and then slowly lower the price if it continues not to sell. Maybe you get a bite. It's a pretty badass chest piece.

I put in 90 Intel, Life % (no value), All res 70 and 2 sockets. You get about a page worth of stuff to compare with. The fact that there is no mf piece on there means someone can potentially pay big for it. I would price high just to be safe.

I'll try the 20 million start with a 75 million buyout and see if people are interested.

turnbuckle

If they nerf the sprint ability for barbs I will quit this game. I almost quit until I found out how much fun it was to play that way as opposed to trying to face tank everything.

I'd rather they turn up the difficulty another notch or add some challenges that take these abilities into account rather than weakening characters some of us have spent real money and a lot of time to "master".

I quit WoW long ago about a month or two after they nerfed the Warrior's titan's grip skill too. If it were a bug that's one thing, but it's not.

I'd reroll another class that can more efficiently kill things but I'm sitting at level 31 paragon and not about to start over with something else. Good thing Torchlight is on the horizon.

Me too.
It's OP but who cares? It's fun!
There's no PVP coming soon that I know of so why don't just let people have fun? I've already suffered and finished the game before the first nerf to inferno with my tank barb. It's was a pain and boring.
I just want to have fun farming now and with WW I'm getting that

Yup. I use rend instead of WW, but it's the same for me. Killed Diablo on inferno using tanking gear and abilities along with my friend. Wasn't much fun taking so long to kill him, especially after the loot he dropped. Also not much fun taking forever to get through Act 3-4 using bash/frenzy/cleave, revenge or overpower, and waiting for things to slowly kill me or to slowly die. I was so close to quitting last week until I decided to ditch the WW barb and try out rend instead. It's been a revelation, it's been fun, and it's still been a challenge.

Celegus

I have started playing a Barbarian. Now when I play a new character I don't even touch the AH because there is no point, I just steam roll through everything. I usually don't even bother picking up items unless they are upgrades to me. Eventually comes a point in time where I have to vendor my items because they are useless now as I have upgraded them. I also had a bunch of items that my class couldn't use but were rares with decent stats. I thought hey... let's just put these on the AH. So I put all my junk items on the AH at around 2000-3000.

Now I regret not selling my stuff earlier. There is like a whole market of items to sell to the 1-59 crowd. Anything with +Exp is instant sell.

For sure, I always sell lower level +exp gear. I also buy sets of +exp gear for each difficulty on each of my alts, so there is a pretty big market for it. If it has exp, main stat, and vit, sells for 20k or so easily.

Dahbomb

For sure, I always sell lower level +exp gear. I also buy sets of +exp gear for each difficulty on each of my alts, so there is a pretty big market for it. If it has exp, main stat, and vit, sells for 20k or so easily.
So I have been vastly under cutting this junk... I don't think I put anything above 5k.

Also is patch 1.1 going to come after 1.05 or are they going to go upto 1.09 before releasing 1.1?

larvi

I just started dabbling in hardcore (just beat Diablo on normal) and there's an instant market in the AH for anything with +exp, vit and sockets, it's refreshing. Or course I've spent pretty much everything I've made on upgrades for myself and storage slots.

It's very hard to tell since it's also dependent on your life on hit and how monks play e.g. are you using that Sweeping Winds build or whatever. Best way is to just keep testing it yourself after each upgrade.

I probably should have reposted my toon. Here is Thelonius. My question is with a monk running one with everything, is all resistance that important? I thought I could just focus on one resistance and have enough to get by (around 400 or so) to get through Act II.

Also what is an adequate level of vitality that I should be shooting for? I feel like my armor rating is the weak link (as well as my gems)in my character. If I need to increase resistance and vitality, how much dexterity/damage should I give up? Admittedly, I do tend to roll with glass cannons.

Rokam

There are guides online which list the optimal places where elites spawn and have low sizes, look it up. Typically you start by looking for Watch Tower and if it did not spawn you restart the game. Then Festering Woods, Cemetery, Leoric's Manor and all the way to Butcher. You can skip that rescuing prisoners part if you choose the last quest.

Thanks for the tip, did 3 runs yesterday got watchtower each time. That place is amazing. Also got a legendary (Goldskin) and a couple of upgrades for myself. Think I'll just continue doing these, because the thought of having to finish act 2 makes me shudder.
Mainly because it's such a terrible terrible act

Rufus

I'm having so much fun steamrolling everything with my barb now, hopefully they just turn down a notch if they nerf it.
I guess seeing Alkaizer do his thing could have tipped them over the edge. I'm already transitioning to Rend anyway, so whatever. WW never really sat too well with me. Always felt kind of weird and you're screwed the moment WotB is down if you're fighting anything with Jailer, sometimes Waller. Succubi are also a frequent show stopper with the build.

I probably should have reposted my toon. Here is Thelonius. My question is with a monk running one with everything, is all resistance that important? I thought I could just focus on one resistance and have enough to get by (around 400 or so) to get through Act II.

Also what is an adequate level of vitality that I should be shooting for? I feel like my armor rating is the weak link (as well as my gems)in my character. If I need to increase resistance and vitality, how much dexterity/damage should I give up? Admittedly, I do tend to roll with glass cannons.

I farm act III with 750-800 all resists. You definitely need to stack ALL RES with one RES and use OWE. It's near impossible to get up to 700+ ALL RES without doing so. Your DEX is REALLY REALLY low and your viality is REALLY REALLY high. YOu need to swap that and give up about 15K life for more dex. Monks have terrible skills at refilling life (they don't scale) so getting more than say 35K is pretty useless. I actually farmed successfully with 30K life in Act III with zero issues. You should be able to swap out pieces on the AH and give up VIT for more DEX / ALL RES etc etc. I would consider losing some MF too. It's nice you have it. Maybe save pieces for act II farming, but for progressing and get more DPS (you really want to get more DPS) it gets really pricey having that on good gear.

Your armor is REALLY weak because your passives are all messed up. You need to run with Seize the Initiative. Each dex stat adds to one armor that way. Since you run sweeping wind you should also run Resolve. It reduces damage by 25% if you've dealt damage to an enemy. If you're have a circle around you doing damage to everything it effectively reduces all non ranged damage by 25%.

So for passives I would recomend (almost everyone really) using RESOLVE > OWE > Seize The Initiative.

Get ride of that red game in your offhand and put a green one in there. Put green gems in your pants. Put green gems in your ring. You can leave the purple gem in your helm but switching to a red one will help with paragon leveling.

EDIT: Check my build .. i'm only running 32k life right now.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/fenderputty-1180/hero/4022975

EDIT:

If you don't, I would also recomend using the enchantress for an additional armor buff and a small IAS increase.

ZenaxPure

I guess seeing Alkaizer do his thing could have tipped them over the edge. I'm already transitioning to Rend anyway, so whatever. WW never really sat too well with me. Always felt kind of weird and you're screwed the moment WotB is down if you're fighting anything with Jailer, sometimes Waller. Succubi are also a frequent show stopper with the build.

Pretty much anything that runs away causes huge problems for WW. Succubi are certainly the ones I hate the most though since they shoot projectiles while running away and those projectiles hit pretty hard. Jailer isn't that bad if you're using a primary attack, but I suppose if you ditch it for overpower you are totally screwed with jailer and no wotb.

I haven't tried the rend spec yet, but that's entirely because I enjoy the un-stuck button WW is, it's impossible to get stuck in a group of enemies which is something that plagues Barbs (and other classes, I guess) if you don't have an ability that lets you move through them (vault, teleport, WW, etc.).

Honestly it scares me a bit simply because I feel like melee specs aren't very welcomed in inferno because enemies just hit too hard. If you aren't going for some sort of tank spec you will die in a matter of seconds if 3 or 4 enemies are around, sometimes even normal white mobs (especially in act 3). I mean, I can't speak for Monks since I know very little about them at max level but pretty much every class, barbarian included, the most popular specs are basically ranged/kiting specs. Outside of tank builds half the barbarian abilities are useless because you will die in a matter of seconds if you try to use them.

Revoh

I'm trying to decide which boots to use.
I don't understand how I'll gain +0.1 protection if I use my Fire Walkers, considering that my Immortal King's Stride has more armor, 74 AR plus +60 AR bonus = 134 AR.
Does the game take the set bonus into account when calculating these stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom