• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

linsivvi

Honestly it scares me a bit simply because I feel like melee specs aren't very welcomed in inferno because enemies just hit too hard.

That was true until they nerfed the game in 1.0.3, at which point melee classes and melee wizards became the strongest classes. After another round of big nerf at 1.0.4 that became even more apparent.

I'm trying to decide which boots to use.
I don't understand how I'll gain +0.1 protection if I use my Fire Walkers, considering that my Immortal King's Stride has more armor, 74 AR plus +60 AR bonus = 134 AR.
Does the game take the set bonus into account when calculating these stuff?

The game doesn't take the set bonus into account but your fire walkers does give you more armor. Every point of strength is worth 1 point of armor.

Rufus

Pretty much anything that runs away causes huge problems for WW. Succubi are certainly the ones I hate the most though since they shoot projectiles while running away and those projectiles hit pretty hard. Jailer isn't that bad if you're using a primary attack, but I suppose if you ditch it for overpower you are totally screwed with jailer and no wotb.

I haven't tried the rend spec yet, but that's entirely because I enjoy the un-stuck button WW is, it's impossible to get stuck in a group of enemies which is something that plagues Barbs (and other classes, I guess) if you don't have an ability that lets you move through them (vault, teleport, WW, etc.).

Honestly it scares me a bit simply because I feel like melee specs aren't very welcomed in inferno because enemies just hit too hard. If you aren't going for some sort of tank spec you will die in a matter of seconds if 3 or 4 enemies are around, sometimes even normal white mobs (especially in act 3). I mean, I can't speak for Monks since I know very little about them at max level but pretty much every class, barbarian included, the most popular specs are basically ranged/kiting specs. Outside of tank builds half the barbarian abilities are useless because you will die in a matter of seconds if you try to use them.
Even if you have a primary attack, getting pinned down can mean death in a lot of situations, since you're almost always surrounded in moments. And if not, you're getting pelted from afar. And sometimes the ground's on fire, too. And poisoned. And arcane orbs everywhere. Basically, you better slow the fuck down if WotB isn't up. WW does allow Barbs to punch above their weight (aka gear), but it has its limits and that's where the gear and the defense it provides is of utmost importance again. Knocks you right back down to earth.

Charge and Leap are good for that. I use Leap with Iron Impact, which has yet to let me down. I also don't pop WotB unless there's a pack that can pin me with affixes. I still die here and there if I'm careless, aka leap into a pack before the situation is clear, but eh... It feels better than the WW spec. I just need a stronger two-hander and I think I'm set.

Some Monk here recently announced his immortality, so I guess they can face-tank the best. Also, the stuff that kills you in Inferno now is the same stuff that kills you even on lower difficulties. Getting pinned down, surrounded and the not being able to out-heal the damage. It's what I die to the most, not counting deaths indirectly resulting from Succubus debuffs.

Vicros

Honestly it scares me a bit simply because I feel like melee specs aren't very welcomed in inferno because enemies just hit too hard. If you aren't going for some sort of tank spec you will die in a matter of seconds if 3 or 4 enemies are around, sometimes even normal white mobs (especially in act 3). I mean, I can't speak for Monks since I know very little about them at max level but pretty much every class, barbarian included, the most popular specs are basically ranged/kiting specs. Outside of tank builds half the barbarian abilities are useless because you will die in a matter of seconds if you try to use them.

It's strange reading this, I almost feel like we're talking about two different games. Dieing from white mobs? I don't know what its like for barbs, but inferno is a cake walk for monks.

I never kite I just run headlong into the group and punch things till they die. Do you have really low resistance/armor? Something is wrong here, because it just shouldn't be that much of a struggle.

Edit: I think I may have been the monk that announced my "immortality". I'm sorry if I came off like an asshole. I simply have lots of resistance and lots of armor. It really does make a huge difference.

sleepykyo

That was true until they nerfed the game in 1.0.3, at which point melee classes and melee wizards became the strongest classes. After another round of big nerf at 1.0.4 that became even more apparent.

After 1.04 summoner Witch Doctors are fine too. It's just DH's that got screwed in the sense that the class doesn't do much except be the best farming class relative to the gear.

Seriously. After I geared my Monk to a certain level he almost felt OP. I still think the class needs more interesting and viable skills, but in general I feel like the melee have it easy now.

1.0.3 changed things and 1.0.4 solidified it.

Switftlame

Neo Member
I'm trying to decide which boots to use.
I don't understand how I'll gain +0.1 protection if I use my Fire Walkers, considering that my Immortal King's Stride has more armor, 74 AR plus +60 AR bonus = 134 AR.
Does the game take the set bonus into account when calculating these stuff?

I can help you with this your dexterity must be really low making dex give u a good amount of dodge which would be more effective

Rufus

Edit: I think I may have been the monk that announced my "immortality". I'm sorry if I came off like an asshole. I simply have lots of resistance and lots of armor. It really does make a huge difference.
Wha...? Don't worry, I didn't mean to call you out or anything. I thought it was funny, actually.

Demy

Joined a public game in act 3 for the first time ever and 5m in I get a legendary off elite pack. It was a manticore and I got so excited. then I Id'ed it.

x5MW2.jpg

Sucks this is only worth 4-5m. Hope I can actually sell it.

ZenaxPure

It's strange reading this, I almost feel like we're talking about two different games. Dieing from white mobs? I don't know what its like for barbs, but inferno is a cake walk for monks. When I do farming runs solo I do complete act 3 clears and die maybe once a run at most, and then only from being chain frozen or something.

I never kite I just run headlong into the group and punch things till they die. Do you have really low resistance/armor? Something is wrong here, because it just shouldn't be that much of a struggle.

I believe you misunderstand, I am not struggling in Act 3 as a barb, in fact I can farm it in quite a bit of MF gear right now with only 1 or 2 deaths in an entire run. That said some enemies do actually hit very hard if you stand there and melee without a shield.

My worry in nerfing WW barbs comes from getting to a point where you can't kill stuff fast enough as a non-tank non-ranged ability spec. I mean, right now what other melee non-tank Barb specs are popular and strong enough to farm Act 3 quickly with very few deaths? If people know I would absolutely love to try one but it seems most people in Act 3 are sticking with WW. Even that rend spec picking up traction involves using sprint torandos to escape and kite enemies.

I don't really like how shields feel but I enjoy actually being in the enemies face and doing damage. I kill most elite packs in act 3 right now in under 20 seconds so if I can't replace it with a spec that does about the same while standing in melee range I will probably end up playing my wd or wizard more.

Insaniac

Man this is completely hilarious.

I have started playing a Barbarian. Now when I play a new character I don't even touch the AH because there is no point, I just steam roll through everything. I usually don't even bother picking up items unless they are upgrades to me. Eventually comes a point in time where I have to vendor my items because they are useless now as I have upgraded them. I also had a bunch of items that my class couldn't use but were rares with decent stats. I thought hey... let's just put these on the AH. So I put all my junk items on the AH at around 2000-3000.

Everything sold... E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G!!!!

Now I regret not selling my stuff earlier. There is like a whole market of items to sell to the 1-59 crowd. Anything with +Exp is instant sell.

yeah i've been doing this for a while, although you're under pricing, i can sell just about any rare weapon in the 20-35 range with a socket for 5000 up to 15000. Its because people rarely put a buyout on low level items and most people buying the stuff want it right away to level up their chars (yeah +EXP is easy sale too)

not to mention it takes my wizard like 7 minutes to run through a1 NM and farm up a bunch of rares

Vicros

With malee classes like the monk and barb, I really feel like survivability should be your main focus. I'm not saying you have to go full tank build, but we have to get right up in enemies faces to do damage. That means we'll be exposed to a lot more damage, in the middle of groups more often, ect.

The end goal should be to have as much dps as possible, but that won't do you much good if you're getting wrecked all the time.

Wha...? Don't worry, I didn't mean to call you out or anything. I thought it was funny, actually.

It's cool. I just spent so much time getting curb stomped in vanilla inferno that it feels great to finally be over that hill. I realize now that came off as bragging.

Rufus

800 - 1000 VIT is a good range, depending on what other mitigation you have. This guy here? Crazy. Fearfuldawn, indeed.

It's cool. I just spent so much time getting curb stomped in vanilla inferno that it feels great to finally be over that hill. I realize now that came off as bragging.
Dude, brag all you like, it's not a sin (as concerns video games at least). I didn't mean to imply anything of the sort.

ZenaxPure

With malee classes like the monk and barb, I really feel like survivability should be your main focus. I'm not saying you have to go full tank build, but we have to get right up in enemies faces to do damage. That means we'll be exposed to a lot more damage, in the middle of groups more often, ect.

The end goal should be to have as much dps as possible, but that won't do you much good if you're getting wrecked all the time.

I am not going to disagree with that actually, but I guess I lack context in how other classes perform and how fast we should be killing. In my full DPS gear elite packs in act 3 without extra HP and those that stand in one place I can probably kill within 3 sprints (so give or take 10 seconds). Is that too fast? Do other classes function this way as well?

I sometimes feel that might be too fast but at the same time I am doing it in gear that makes me really squishy. I only have about 500 all resist (and like 70% damage reduction from armor) but it just doesn't matter since every WW in a group of enemies heals me to full every second basically.

I am just kinda wondering about other non tank specs that can do the same. I would actually like to try one but currently getting gear that has good defense and offense for Act 3 is EXPENSIVE as hell on the US AH. I plan to give the rend spec a try at some point but from what people have said it seems fairly similar to WW barb in most ways I guess.

mandiller

I picked up my first ever set item yesterday. It's only the second legendary item I've ever found so I was pretty excited.

It didn't look that fantastic and was a bit of a downgrade for me so I ended up putting it on the auction house and it sold for 25 million! I've never had over 1 million gold at any one time so now I feel like I'm rich.

G78DQ.jpg

mandiller

That's a very sought after set piece, from both DH and Monks. Getting attack speed AND movement speed from pants is crazy.

Oh? I guess only if you collect the whole set. I saw the cheapest buy it now option on the AH was at 27 million for one with slightly better stats than mine. So I put mine up for 25 million and it was the cheapest there so I guess that's why it sold quickly.

lordy88

I decided to check out hardcore with a monk for the first time today after playing exclusively on my DH from the get-go.

Pretty fun to head back to the beginning, as you forget all the little things this game does right before it kinda drops the ball at the endgame.

I did notice one thing though that made me slightly upset. I noticed that there is a very small market for high-end end-game gear on Hardcore. It makes perfect sense though. Once we all ding at 60 and make it through inferno once, is there really anything else for us to do? It's not like softcore where we want the very best items to help us farm for more stuff to sell, and become progressively richer. There is no RMAH in Hardcore, so what's the point of becoming rich when the game essentially ends when you hit level 60?

A bit disappointing to think about, but the road to the end will be fun nonetheless. I'm curious to see if I die (more like when), and how I do it.

I was thrilled to see that I sold that Chantodo's Force for $100, but my heart dropped when I saw that I'll be getting that in Blizzard bux. I listed it, cancelled it and re-listed it at a lower price and must have forgotten to select the PayPal option the second time. Oh well, I guess I can try to flip a few things or outfit my character on the RMAH.

Tom Penny

Why do you need one with Vit? I would personally trade some vit for that attack speed. Attack speed is really useful for Monks.

They have no vit or resists. You can get 18% attack speed on 2 rings for peanuts. That trade off isn't worth it to me. The movement speed interests me more than the attack speed.

linsivvi

Why do you need one with Vit? I would personally trade some vit for that attack speed. Attack speed is really useful for Monks.

The pants always gets 8-9% attack speed. He's talking about the random property getting vit, which would make the pants even more valuable.

larvi

Found 3 legendaries in one A3 farm run just now, unfortunately they were gladiator gauntlets, sever and the grand vizier. Only the last one is worth anything, if only to put on my enchantress for the gf/mf boost. Nice to see some orange stuff dropping again though.

Keikaku

Back when that guy was power-leveling towards 100 Paragon I watched a bit of his stream and he mentioned how, if you don't use the auction house, you're cheating yourself. I filed that away somewhere but I didn't really think about it until today. I just cleared Nightmare with my Witch Doctor a few days and while I know that that isn't even really halfway through the game, I was very unsatisfied with my character.

Here are my old stats from my profile, as it hasn't updated yet:
jbHtZ.jpg

After a quick trip to the AH using the in-game currency and for the low, low price of 120K gold, my current stats are:
  • Strength: 195
  • Dexterity: 735
  • Intelligence: 1483
  • Vitality: 193
  • Armor: 2282
  • DPS: 6762.57
  • Magic Find: 166% (!!!)

A couple of things to consider:
  • 2x increase in damage.
  • Almost 1.5x increase in armor.
  • Nearly 6x increase in MF.
  • Every single piece of gear was replaced from helms to rings to boots. All of it was AH gear.
  • I could have maybe gotten items cheaper if I hadn't bought them out and just waited out the auctions.
  • That was 1/3 of my gold but I wasn't using it for anything so why not use it for this?
  • I focused exclusively on INT and MF bonuses. As a result, I'm a bit squishier than before in terms of total health but things rarely get near enough to hit me, if at all.
  • The MF is already paying off a bit in terms of items that I should be able to sell.

All that for 120K gold. The AH is awesome and everyone should use it!

Brofist

All that for 120K gold. The AH is awesome and everyone should use it!

Wait til you get to the point where any significant piece upgrade costs you in the 10s of millions and your bags are full of crap level 50s gear from your latest Act 3 Inferno run. AH won't look quite so good.

Rufus

One of the times I've tuned in to Alkaizer's stream he said that he's yet to find a Legendary worth a damn, and that guy has a lot of them drop. Now, his standards are probably totally warped (he forgoes picking them all up, too, maybe because of the negative reinforcement), but after getting Angel Hair Braids and some other crap legendaries I don't even remember and have turned into Brimstone I'm inclined to agree.

linsivvi

The one where 1/3 of my act 3 drops are still sub 60 items?

So do you expect Blizzard to give you 60+ rares on every drop even after they've:

1) nerfed the game twice
2) bumped legendary drop rates and qualities
3) giving players persistent MF and GF?

That's quite unrealistic I'd say.

The fact that previously million dollar items can be had on the AH for 50K should tell you a bit about the improvement in the overall drop quality.

turnbuckle

So do you expect Blizzard to give you 60+ rares on every drop even after they've:

1) nerfed the game twice

The fact that previously million dollar items can be had on the AH for 50K should tell you a bit about the improvement in the overall drop quality.

I think they shouldn't have nerfed the difficulty of mobs and elites, but instead lowered the variability for rolls on dps and affixes for rares. Keep the same or similar ceiling, but lift the floor up, and by a considerable margin. Nobody should expect most or many or a good amount of the rares that drop to be very good, but when you're getting 200+ level 63 rares and not a single one is an upgrade - and not because what you're using is godly, but because the rolls are just so bad - there's a problem. You should feel a little bit of excitement about having a level 63 drop.

I say lower the rate of level 63s dropping, lower the rate of sub 61 gear dropping, and increase the floors on everything. Also increase the difficulty of mobs. Sure, the increased difficulty may offset or more than offset the improvements in gear finds, but a big part of the fun in loot games is the loot and perceived value of loot. It's somewhat irrational, but I'd rather the game make mobs 25% more difficult while making the loot 20% better. Even if the game is more difficult (which is what I'd like anyways), knowing that there's a better chance for my loot to be worthwhile is what I care about.

They really do need to put some meaty postgame content into the game for the hardcore - who, really, are a majority of the people still playing. But if they nerf character builds to increase the difficulty they'll just upset a lot of gamers and it'll lend to the suspicion that Blizzard is constantly messing with things to generate AH revenue. If that feeling builds, people will be less confident in spending time and money at the auction house. What was worth $20 today is worth $2 tomorrow. I'm fine with that scenario if it's a result of new and better items being added along with some new content, but I find it appalling if it's the result of them nerfing a build that relied heavily on that gear.

I am incredibly envious of you. Grats :) I've been wanting to find a replacement for my pants for awhile and haven't had anything drop.

Sigmaah

1) nerfed the game twice

Did they bump the legendary drop rate? I don't remember seeing that anywhere.

I don't expect 63's and legendaries all the time but fuck, stop dropping level 55's in act 3 inferno, that shit is annoying. Working your ass off to kill a mob, BAM, get a lvl 55 item, WOO!

I've got a big grin on my face this morning. Sold my Immortal King's chest armor for 145 million.

Played with Omega Man yesterday and found a legendary in the first minute. Went on to die far too often because I was moving to fast with my DH, but lots of fun. Found 2 different single hand legendary crossbows in the game after that. Think my high MF is really starting to kick in now.

linsivvi

I don't expect 63's and legendaries all the time but fuck, stop dropping level 55's in act 3 inferno, that shit is annoying. Working your ass off to kill a mob, BAM, get a lvl 55 item, WOO!

I don't know. It just seems to me legendaries are dropping much often than before but it could just be the effect of the paragon bonus.

I've got a big grin on my face this morning. Sold my Immortal King's chest armor for 145 million.

Played with Omega Man yesterday and found a legendary in the first minute. Went on to die far too often because I was moving to fast with my DH, but lots of fun. Found 2 different single hand legendary crossbows in the game after that. Think my high MF is really starting to kick in now.

Yeah we did good, you have a mean DH, we shall farm together again, but next time it would be nice if the Legendaries drop for ME :D

Rufus

They buffed the legendary drop rate indirectly through elevating a bunch of improved legendaries to ilvl 63. If you farm act 3 (which the changes allow more people to do), you'll be seeing more 63 items in general, but since a lot of legendaries are also 63 now you'll see more of those, too.

They bump only the < 50 ilv legendary rate.

Yeah we did good, you have a mean DH, we shall farm together again, but next time it would be nice if the Legendaries drop for ME :D
All that legendary I got in our game was good for was the brimstone! The two single hand crossbows were decent though not really worth too much. Your monk was really impressive though...I think I'd only played once before with a monk and although he was a tank, he did very little in the damage department but we didn't have too much issues with destroying stuff fast.

So does anyone else find less jeweler's plans now? I'd say I'd found maybe 7 or 8 of them before the patch and I haven't found one since and I'm sitting at Paragon 28 I think. I've found a couple item plans but those too don't seem as common any more.

linsivvi

I honestly have no idea since jeweller plans are in blue. I could've missed tons of plans without knowing. Blacksmith plans are dropping at a regular rate but they are so much easier to spot.

M.D

0m4jz.jpg

Just found this :p
Probably nothing special to most people, but I was dieing a lot in Act 3 (Nightmare) after switching my play style to be less defensive

Now I just slaughter those fools :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom