• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III PS3/360 |OT| Bringing Hell to consoles

BigDug13

there is no way you are going to be able to transfer a save to ps4 from 360.

come on now.

I don't know about that. Borderlands 2 has third party tools available to transfer and convert saves between the various platforms of PC, PS3, and 360.

It's only a matter of time.

Armor repair, which is stupid cheap even at high levels with the best gear. As in thousands when you 'll have millions. Unless they changed it for console death is not a deterrent, you don't even lose valor stacks.

Hardcore if you want permadeath.
diablo1/2 has the same systems?
played d2 a little so dont remember
its actually bit of a downer
while playing i just didnt cared

Dahbomb

In Diablo 2 when you died you had to walk over your corpse to retrieve your gear again and you also sustained a loss of experience.

Also even though the repair cost were negligible on the PC, they are not negligible on the console version at higher levels. There is no huge influx of gold thanks to the AH so you can't afford to die that much. Sure, you can die a lot of times starting out but if you start running out of gold then you are in deep trouble.

Of course the main reason why you don't want to be dying is because it cuts down on the efficiency of your farm. The fact that you are wasting valuable farm time on dying and respawning is a penalty in of itself. This is a loot farming game and it's all about how fast you can kill stuff.

Oh and there is always Hardcore mode. Hardcore is an entirely different experience from Softcore. Different items with different affixes are more valuables. Skills that you would never use in Softcore are staples in Hardcore (like Near Death Experience). You allocate your build more towards defense than offense.

Dahbomb

Look, people in this thread are talking about how much fun they're having with the game instead of a million pictures asking for sell prices on the auction house.
LOLOLOLOL...

I hated that in the first few Diablo threads. Thankfully that doesn't happen anymore in the D3 OT because people who still play can better gauge prices by using the AH itself.

But yea the psychological effect of no AH is astounding on the game play. When you loot something now it's not "hey maybe I can use it or save for my other characters... but I would much rather put it on the AH but it's more "I can probably use this or I can salvage this for a Brimstone which I need because I can't get Brimstones for super cheap".

Even more simple decisions like choosing to pick up gold. On the PC version you never picked up gold, it was a waste of time as the AH provided you with all the gold you could ever want as long as you got that one big item. Now your best way of getting gold is to in fact pick it up from dead bodies or selling items that you pick up. If you don't pick up gold then you don't have that cash for gems/crafts when you need it.

Diablo 2 you had to make your way back from town to your body to pick up your stuff. That was a good system.
In Diablo 2 when you died you had to walk over your corpse to retrieve your gear again and you also sustained a loss of experience.

Also even though the repair cost were negligible on the PC, they are not negligible on the console version at higher levels. There is no huge influx of gold thanks to the AH so you can't afford to die that much. Sure, you can die a lot of times starting out but if you start running out of gold then you are in deep trouble.

Of course the main reason why you don't want to be dying is because it cuts down on the efficiency of your farm. The fact that you are wasting valuable farm time on dying and respawning is a penalty in of itself. This is a loot farming game and it's all about how fast you can kill stuff.

Oh and there is always Hardcore mode. Hardcore is an entirely different experience from Softcore. Different items with different affixes are more valuables. Skills that you would never use in Softcore are staples in Hardcore (like Near Death Experience). You allocate your build more towards defense than offense.

thanks for the info
will try again later

one more thing
holding down the A button or mashing it is the same thing or one tech is more powerful than the other

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences

Has nothing to do with AH. Unless they significantly upped the cost of repairs a few enemies drop the gold I need to repair at 60 with good gear. Vendoring a few blues will also cover it. We're talking maybe 10k gold for half a dozen deaths so after the early levels you don't even care any more.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Lord Phol

All right, it seems stash and loot is shared between every hero on ur profile just like on pc. Which means if you want to do a clean slate couch co-op playthrough with a friend you need to make a new profile each. There shouldn't be any downsides to this right? Like not playing on ur main profile shouldn't change/mess with anything? (kind of noob when it comes to ps3 gaming, profiles and such).

Dahbomb

thanks for the info
will try again later

one more thing
holding down the A button or mashing it is the same thing or one tech is more powerful than the other
You hold if you want to stay stationary and just dish out damage as fast as possible. You press button and move when you need to be a bit more careful and defensive especially for range classes.

molnizzle

I don't know about that. Borderlands 2 has third party tools available to transfer and convert saves between the various platforms of PC, PS3, and 360.

It's only a matter of time.

Eh, I doubt even PS3 characters will be "fully" transferable. This duping situation is... regrettable. It wouldn't surprise me if the PS4 version of D3 required an online connection. That, or return to D2's system of separate characters for online and offline. Maybe it could let you "copy" your online character to offline for local multi, but not let you copy back. I dunno.

Tough situation. Always online? No! Totally borked duping situation? No!

...can't have it both ways. Ah well, I guess it's a good thing there are no ladders or PvP. I'm sure I will still get another few hundred hours of enjoyment out of it!

BigDug13

Eh, I doubt even PS3 characters will be "fully" transferable. This duping situation is... regrettable. It wouldn't surprise me if the PS4 version of D3 required an online connection. That, or return to D2's system of separate characters for online and offline. Maybe it could let you "copy" your online character to offline for local multi, but not let you copy back. I dunno.

Tough situation. Always online? No! Totally borked duping situation? No!

...can't have it both ways. Ah well, I guess it's a good thing there are no ladders or PvP. I'm sure I will still get another few hundred hours of enjoyment out of it!

True. It's a local co-op game for me anyway. It sucks that we can't have nice things as always online is evil and player duping is evil.

BigDug13

LOLOLOLOL...

I hated that in the first few Diablo threads. Thankfully that doesn't happen anymore in the D3 OT because people who still play can better gauge prices by using the AH itself.

But yea the psychological effect of no AH is astounding on the game play. When you loot something now it's not "hey maybe I can use it or save for my other characters... but I would much rather put it on the AH but it's more "I can probably use this or I can salvage this for a Brimstone which I need because I can't get Brimstones for super cheap".

Even more simple decisions like choosing to pick up gold. On the PC version you never picked up gold, it was a waste of time as the AH provided you with all the gold you could ever want as long as you got that one big item. Now your best way of getting gold is to in fact pick it up from dead bodies or selling items that you pick up. If you don't pick up gold then you don't have that cash for gems/crafts when you need it.

Lack of an automated auction house turns a game back into a game. And I agree with you.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm a bit confused why all the classes seem to have the same HP and vitality growth per level. I would expect a barbarian to have a lot more health than a wizard.

Eojay

Neo Member
I'm a bit confused why all the classes seem to have the same HP and vitality growth per level. I would expect a barbarian to have a lot more health than a wizard.

A barb has a lot more armour though, due to the fact they have more points in strength.

Fularu

Banned
A barb has a lot more armour though, due to the fact they have more points in strength.
A wizard has tons of int so a lot of base allres. It's a wash

Barbs take 30% less physical damage though (just like monks) since they have to stay "in range"

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
so is the increased legendary drops making this game more fun?

i'm guessing the lack of AH is helping a little bit too.

did they change the maps at all? or do locations still rotate between a few key spots?

Dahbomb

All melee classes have a natural 30% extra defense compared to the range classes. Also Strength gives you increased armor and Barb has a lot of skills/passives that increase his tankiness.

Yoshichan

molnizzle

Why not? There should be a stiff penalty for death and that was one. Just a straight respawn is lame.

Respawn where you died is lame. Rescan at checkpoint is just fine. Corpse runs do nothing but waste your time and piss you off.

My typicall Act I run nets me 4-5 legendaries every 30 minutes

What mode/difficulty?

I didn't get a single legendary during my Act I normal/medium clear. As expected, obviously. I'm just curious about when you start finding them in Act I.

Number45

Struggling with the second half of act 1 on Normal (hard), so I changed it to medium and now I can faceroll it. Might just tough it out on hard and see if my drops improve.

No legendaries. :'(

Dahbomb

My typicall Act I run nets me 4-5 legendaries every 30 minutes
MP10 with a p100 character? Also how many of those Legendaries are actually good?

I have a P40 Monk and I play him on MP4-5. I get like 1-2 Legendary an hour. Before I had that much MF I got way, way less Legendaries. On PC you need to past a certain MF threshold to start seeing Legendaries semi regularly.

Fularu

Banned
MP 7 p80

It's not that different from when I was doing it at p60

I can easily do MP10 but it takes too long for my taste

Jack_AG

Banned
30% VS 75%

I wonder who's exagerating here...
30% is the average. Some areas tear way the shit more and some don't at all. Most of the time the tears occur mid-screen which really pisses me off to no end. I can spot a 1-frame difference in video latency - tearing is like a big fucking neon sign shining in my face. Some people can't notice it or even a 60-20fps drop. Others, like myself, are hypersensitive. I notice it every time it happens and this could easily get my nomination for most torn frames in any game I've played this gen.

It happens in D3 a lot, man. Don't shrug that shit off because you think its my console.

DSmalls84

Struggling with the second half of act 1 on Normal (hard), so I changed it to medium and now I can faceroll it. Might just tough it out on hard and see if my drops improve.

No legendaries. :'(

I didn't get any drops in Act I, but once I got to Act II I got 5. I'm playing on Normal Easy so I'm not sure how much of difference difficulty makes for drops.

30% is the average. Some areas tear way the shit more and some don't at all. Most of the time the tears occur mid-screen which really pisses me off to no end. I can spot a 1-frame difference in video latency - tearing is like a big fucking neon sign shining in my face. Some people can't notice it or even a 60-20fps drop. Others, like myself, are hypersensitive. I notice it every time it happens and this could easily get my nomination for most torn frames in any game I've played this gen.

It happens in D3 a lot, man. Don't shrug that shit off because you think its my console.

it is bad, I think people are giving blizzard a pass here

personally, it doesnt bother me. but for example even just simple text appearing above people as they speak I dont move since the shimmering/wobbling effect is too annoying

Number45

I didn't get any drops in Act I, but once I got to Act II I got 5. I'm playing on Normal Easy so I'm not sure how much of difference difficulty makes for drops.
It's luck based of course, I just didn't expect the jump from medium to hard to be so brutal. I'm at the point where I don't have a reliable means of recovering health (which I'll get on the next Rend rune I think), that's the main problem. The health orb passive is OK, but unreliable.

EDIT: On the tearing, the only place I've noticed it was in the cinematic intro to the Leoric encounter. I'm very tolerant of these things while I'm playing though (I spot them in videos, but I'm so intently focused while playing that they pass me by completely).

Jack_AG

Banned
You can detect 1 frame difference in video latency?

Damn you must have reactions of a god.
Don't undermine my experiences with your petty bullshit remarks. Switch AA off in BF3 for PS3 and its night/day difference for me - 1 frame. People bitching about it is the reason it was patched in so many people have the reactions of a "god" according to you.

I've played the piano since childhood and am sensitive to action/reaction like most musicians. This isn't so hard to wrap your brain around if you actually tried. You might even knock a few cobwebs out in doing so :p

Saganator

I notice it every time it happens and this could easily get my nomination for most torn frames in any game I've played this gen.

You must have never played FarCry 3. Like every movement results in a torn screen in that game.

Yoshichan

#19, crap belt

Dahbomb

Don't undermine my experiences with your petty bullshit remarks. Switch AA off in BF3 for PS3 and its night/day difference for me - 1 frame. People bitching about it is the reason it was patched in so many people have the reactions of a "god" according to you.

I've played the piano since childhood and am sensitive to action/reaction like most musicians. This isn't so hard to wrap your brain around if you actually tried. You might even knock a few cobwebs out in doing so :p
So you are telling me that you can tell the difference between a 4 frame start up move versus a 5 frame start up in a fighter? You are also telling me that you can react to 6 frame instant overheads?

Damn so glad you don't play fighters, you would destroy everyone in the world with your godlike 1 frame reactions.

So you are telling me that you can tell the difference between a 4 frame start up move versus a 5 frame start up in a fighter? You are also telling me that you can react to 6 frame instant overheads?

Damn so glad you don't play fighters, you would destroy everyone in the world with your godlike 1 frame reactions.
Back off man, he's a musician.

Seriously though, I wonder if other folks here very sensitive to tearing can chime in. When I notice it, it does bother me, but I'm honestly not noticing it anywhere near as much as say, Jack_AG here.

d0c_zaius

hyperbole aside, he is accurate with how some people can have issues with it more than others. I am the same way. It's even worse when you switch to primary PC gaming and then see stuff like Killer is Dead (a game I like as well).

and noticing frames doesn't = execution and fundamentals Mr. Dahbomb sir.

Back off man, he's a musician.

Seriously though, I wonder if other folks here very sensitive to tearing can chime in. When I notice it, it does bother me, but I'm honestly not noticing it anywhere near as much as say, Jack_AG here.

I chimed in as soon as I got my urleh copy on friday after I read others telling me there was no screen tearing. It was a bummer but the game is still fun. Like I've said multiple times already, it's not everywhere or all the time, but it is common in some areas and makes things like text, screen movement and just knowing its going to happen detract from the experience.

Dahbomb

hyperbole aside, he is accurate with how some people can have issues with it more than others. I am the same way. It's even worse when you switch to primary PC gaming and then see stuff like Killer is Dead (a game I like as well).

and noticing frames doesn't = execution and fundamentals Mr. Dahbomb sir.
I play on PC too usually games that are running above 60FPS. I can tell the difference between 30 and 60 FPS easily and I can tell the difference between 120 and 60 FPS. I however cannot tell the difference between 59 FPS and 60 FPS. Hell I can hardly tell the difference between 55 and 60. I can tell when games have input delay or not but not when it's 1 frame difference.

Execution and fundamentals have nothing to do with this. Execution/fundamentals have shit to do with you being able to block a 6 frame overhead, that stuff cannot be reacted to by a human being no matter how much execution or fundamentals you have, it's a pure guess.

Top Bottom