• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III PS3/360 |OT| Bringing Hell to consoles

ironcreed

Banned
Damn, it feels great to finally have a quality dungeon crawler like this on consoles. Games like Dungeon Siege III were alright, but this is the real deal. Still early in with my demon hunter and we are working toward the skeleton king, but I'm already hooked. All it took was getting a few abilities and some better gear and the bug bit me. I needed this game.

legbone

well shit. just read that rapid fire with dh doesn't work solo. damn, may switch to my monk or a barb. i love the rapid fire. grenades look boring.

So as I've shared before, my nightmare scenario for the PS4 version of D3 is that Blizzard wants to get a Battlenet client running on it. Pros: Cross-play with PC, direct access to customers through Battlenet. Puts the foot in the door to sell other games in a similar fashion down the line. Cons: Auction houses return, along with always online DRM. No continuity with current gen console versions would explain a lack of word on carrying over progress. Trying to get Battlenet integrated would also explain the PS4 version's early development state.

Somebody please tell me that is a foolish fever-dream that'd never happen, because of reasons.

ironcreed

Banned
well shit. just read that rapid fire with dh doesn't work solo. damn, may switch to my monk or a barb. i love the rapid fire. grenades look boring.

I just got rapid fire and a better bow and am destroying everything, but I am still early in. Going to stick with Demon Hunter.

Oh, and thank god for the roll mechanic.

You get to do that quest again. Usually here is where you can adjust the difficulty.

Interesting. So after the quest, it just takes me back to quest select screen?

Also, do you guys use followers? I like that it should make it a little easier, but to be honest, I'm finding it annoying having a dude following me around.

Dahbomb

It "works" just fine even all the way in Inferno. It just doesn't work if you have bad EHP or want to fight against Ubers. Most classes have to change their spec before fighting an Uber so this is not a big deal (like Barbs have to use a shield and defensive skills).

Everyone... please always use the class you want to play with the skills that you want. You will have more fun that way.
Interesting. So after the quest, it just takes me back to quest select screen?

Also, do you guys use followers? I like that it should make it a little easier, but to be honest, I'm finding it annoying having a dude following me around.
No you continue on to the next quest.

Followers are awesome they give you passive bonuses. You just have to equip them with items too which most people forget to do. I think you may be allowed to not take a follower with you but I am not sure.

legbone

It "works" just fine even all the way in Inferno. It just doesn't work if you have bad EHP or want to fight against Ubers. Most classes have to change their spec before fighting an Uber so this is not a big deal (like Barbs have to use a shield and defensive skills).

Everyone... please always use the class you want to play with the skills that you want. You will have more fun that way.

No you continue on to the next quest.

Followers are awesome they give you passive bonuses. You just have to equip them with items too which most people forget to do. I think you may be allowed to not take a follower with you but I am not sure.

thanks for the tips. i'm new to d3. it really is a kind of different beast than d1 or d2. i love that you can basically respec at any time. makes me not worry about sinking time into a character since i don't have to worry about fucking it up.

hollams

Gold Member
What is the point of rolling? I just started out playing on the hard difficulty and I hit an enemy a couple of times and then rolled away, after the roll animation finished the enemy attacked and hit me. I should have been too far away, it seems the hit detection boxes are a little large.

MAX PAYMENT

I can answer the first easily. I play almost completely solo. I have since the Diablo 1 days. It's fun solo. Damn fun. The second you can play with randoms by setting it to public. Now is that fun? Just depends on the randoms you'll get. The 3rd I will say it all depends on how much you like games that the whole purpose is to get loot. If you do then I think you'll find it will have some good longevity. The last one I've heard nothing about.
I've never really played a game where I've particularly cared about loot. I'd be looking into the game for fun, challenging gameplay. I don't really care to get a helmet that has +5 more bullshit than my last one.

You guys answered that it is possible to play with randoms.
Is there anyway a random could ruin my experience?
Or is it just jump in, hack and slash and have a good time?
If I'm just really not the kind of person to get excited about loot, will I not enjoy it for the gameplay itself?
If this is a grind the boss 20 times for a helmet type of game, I'm not getting it.

legbone

What is the point of rolling? I just started out playing on the hard difficulty and I hit an enemy a couple of times and then rolled away, after the roll animation finished the enemy attacked and hit me. I should have been too far away, it seems the hit detection boxes are a little large.

whether they hit you or not is still based upon a dice roll so to speak. doesn't matter how far away you are from what i have read. i like the roll for breaking through shit like ashes, headstones, etc. it's fun as hell to roll through dozens of items and then get an xp bonus for it.

Just booted up the PC version again after reading all the hype about the console release and jesus christ it was depressing thinking about the AH. I lasted about 5 minutes. Will have to pick this up on console.

Dahbomb

A random can ruin the experience if they start going off in their own direction and doing runs away from where you are doing runs. Or if they just stay in town AFK while you are stuck fighting against slightly buffed enemies. Or if they kill stuff without you around or loot a Treasure Goblin/Elite without telling you about it.

It's not common though.

MAX PAYMENT

A random can ruin the experience if they start going off in their own direction and doing runs away from where you are doing runs. Or if they just stay in town AFK while you are stuck fighting against slightly buffed enemies. Or if they kill stuff without you around or loot a Treasure Goblin/Elite without telling you about it.

It's not common though.
I assumed it was like a Lego game where the screen could only stretch so far. So that seems to tell me that each player can go run off and do whatever the hell they want.

Dahbomb

I assumed it was like a Lego game where the screen could only stretch so far. So that seems to tell me that each player can go run off and do whatever the hell they want.
That's only in local co-op where the screen is one for all and everyone is sort of "tethered" together. When it's online co-op people can do whatever they want. It's not bad at all on PC, most people are just doing standard quests. If they are doing whatever they want then just join them by teleporting to them or leave the game and start your own.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences

Thank god. Who wants other players dictating what screen space they can move around in.

Boogdud

I wish they would just patch in a 'console mode' diablo 3 to the pc version. Give us the option to play without the AH. It's amazing how much more enjoyable the game is when it's actually balanced around getting randomized drops, rather than having the absolute best items in the game available to you at all times (for a PRICE$$$).

Seik

Banned
Man, I wish I could play more. I had to stop just before the Act I Boss *sigh*. I play my DH with such ease. Hard isn't hard enough IMO.

I'm playing using the same settings with my Wizard. It's hard but not as much as I imagined. I'm sure Nightmare and Inferno will prove me wrong when I'll be there though. :p

6DA7Zf4.jpg

What in gods name does that final buff do? It was the funniest shit when I picked it up. Only on Act 2 and I have gotten so many damn Legendary weapons and gear. Its too cool.

6DA7Zf4.jpg

What in gods name does that final buff do? It was the funniest shit when I picked it up. Only on Act 2 and I have gotten so many damn Legendary weapons and gear. Its too cool.

lol i found a powerful int version of those just a few minutes ago, that stinky debuff procs a lot but doesn't seem to do anything

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I must be blind. I know that there's supposed to be lots of tearing, but I'm not noticing any (I'm playing it on PS3). Of course, the action is frantic enough most of the time that my brain is probably completely tuning out the graphical issues and concentrating on bashing stuff.

I do see the occasional hiccup, where everything seems to freeze for a small fraction of a second. I get one maybe once every 15-20 minutes, usually when a legendary or pack monster shows up on the screen. It's only mildly annoying, but it happens.

Yea, I'm nearly done with Act 1 on Normal with Hard monster density (PS3) and I have yet to see a single instance of screen tearing at all. I might eat my words later on playing online co-op if it tends to crop up with 4-players in beefier acts. But my solo game has been smooth and tear-free for the first several hours at least.

FFXIV still has me by the balls right now, but I am really digging this version of the game far more than the PC.

Damaniel

Banned
Yea, I'm nearly done with Act 1 on Normal with Hard monster density (PS3) and I have yet to see a single instance of screen tearing at all. I might eat my words later on playing online co-op if it tends to crop up with 4-players in beefier acts. But my solo game has been smooth and tear-free for the first several hours at least.

FFXIV still has me by the balls right now, but I am really digging this version of the game far more than the PC.

The only tearing I've seen so far is in one of the underground areas of Act 2. It only happened on a light area of the screen in a single dark passageway, and it was pretty much tearing every frame. Other than that, I haven't noticed any at all, and I'm just now wrapping up Act 2. It's certainly there, but I've really had to go out of my way to see any.

Daigoro

you guys just arent noticing the tearing. be thankful.

i noticed it literally 5 seconds into my solo run when i started the game this morning. it's not a deal breaker, but it's there and its pretty frequent. its not excessive tearing, not screen shreddingly bad, but i noticed it often in my first hour of play on the first act playing solo.

game is damn fun though, so it's getting a pass for me.

Why not? Do you work for blizzard? Blizzard is a competent company and im sure someone there can find a way to where you can upload your save to their server to transfer over. From PS3 to XBONE or 360 to PS4? That might be stretching it a little but they could find a way to where your save ties to your PSN account via cloud and have it transfer over.

It's very, very much possible to do saves between PS3>PS4 and 360>XBONE. The problem with cross-platform transferring is that they need permission from both companies, right? FFXIV can be transferred between PS3>PC and Square is very much a less competent company and sony has been doing cross-platform saves with Vita for awhile now. Not to mention there is talk about destiny cross saves. Don't act like it's impossible because it's possible. crossplatform save transfers are nothing new.

yes i work for Blizzard... what's your contribution to society?

the bolded is why i said it's not going to happen, but as bigDug mentioned earlier there are always hacked saves. so that may be a possibility.

feel free to dig up my post next year and mock me when Microsoft and Sony allow us to takes saves from their last gen systems and cross platform swap them to the new shiny consoles.

Billen

Banned
Hmmm, the performance issues sounds troubling. Dragon's Dogma is the latest experience where gameplay is awesome, but the framerate etc makes the whole experience as lot worse

crozier

It's not common though.
I had a guy sit in on my game all the way through Acts II and III without doing anything. Then once we battled Diablo he jumped in. Super annoying because there's no way to kick them even if you're host. And it takes like 2 minutes each time you want to zone because you have to wait for them to timeout. :/

Anyone notice any random freezes in the ps3 version. Only lasts for a second or so. Playing from the disc.
I've gotten them too inn the digital version. In the time its taken me to get my monk to level 20 I've seen it happen maybe three or four times, and yeah, always for a short second.

Svafnir

Honestly I am pretty surprised. Blizzards first console game in a long long long time... is not bad?

Somehow that surprises me.

molnizzle

It's working, But either their match-making system is too limiting or very few people are playing.

I think too many people are trying to host their own games rather than join others. I switched to "quick match" this morning and have been getting instant groups all day long.

Damaniel

Banned
Hmmm, the performance issues sounds troubling. Dragon's Dogma is the latest experience where gameplay is awesome, but the framerate etc makes the whole experience as lot worse

It's nowhere near as bad as Dragon's Dogma. I tried playing DD and gave up after 10 minutes because the sub-20 frame rate was so terrible. For the most part, Diablo 3's frame rate stays quite high (40-60 fps), though supposedly with some dips in the latter part of the game. PC quality it isn't, but it's a pretty competent port to 8 year old hardware.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
God dammit Yoshi. D:

I'd like to have your spare time, if I wasn't working atm I'd tank almost as many hours as you.
Ugh, I wish I had time man... At this rate, as soon as I come home from work, I spend an hour or two with my girl and then it's Diablo till 3-4am... The problem here being that I woke up 6am today :( 2 hours of sleep today and yesterday, and it's killing me :lol

george_us

I forgot how much this game is pure, digital crack. It was bad enough for me on PC but now that the Auction House is no longer there, that drive to get better loot is even stronger.

Fjordson

It's not that bad. D3 isn't flawless, but it's worlds better technically than DD.

Daigoro

it's not half as bad as DD. that game was fucking ugly.

Anyone notice any random freezes in the ps3 version. Only lasts for a second or so. Playing from the disc.

i noticed it once or twice on 360 when i played for 2 hours. the one time i know for sure it happened was when a new message popped up telling me where to go next or something. like it was loading or something.

also people have said it does that when an achievement/trophy pops up. i hate that shit, but soon those will be popping up a lot less often than at the beginning.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hey guys, look who just switched his avatar :D Anyone remember?

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
there are very minor.
There is tearing and there are fps dips but honestly not anywhere near "gameplay ruining".

I think too many people are trying to host their own games rather than join others. I switched to "quick match" this morning and have been getting instant groups all day long.

i only tried it once and instantly got a game...
I guess the vast majority is just playing the game without chekcing network settings. They are on "friends only" per default.

Slayerx

Ugh, I wish I had time man... At this rate, as soon as I come home from work, I spend an hour or two with my girl and then it's Diablo till 3-4am... The problem here being that I woke up 6am today :( 2 hours of sleep today and yesterday, and it's killing me :lol

I love this avatar, never expected to see it return :)

Hearing all these amazing loot stories hurts my soul. I love the pc version but why couldn't Blizzard patch at least loot 1.5 into the game? Not getting shit for days is not fun, no matter how much I enjoy my whirlwind and fire bats.

lem0n

I can't hold out any longer. I need this game in my veins. I will be getting it tomorrow, even though none of my friends got it. Anyone want to play with a complete noob? :/

Fjordson

Hearing all these amazing loot stories hurts my soul. I love the pc version but why couldn't Blizzard patch at least loot 1.5 into the game? Not getting shit for days is not fun, no matter how much I enjoy my whirlwind and fire bats.
So the loot has been changed for this release? Other than the lack of the RMAH that is. Didn't really keep up with any pre-release info.

I guess it does feel different now that you mention it. Seems like I'm getting a ton more useful loot compared to my first few runs on PC.

Duallusion

Man, OCDs... Whenever I enter a large outside area, I circle it at the borders all the way around, then systematically wipe the rest of the black fog on the map and *then* enter the dungeons. Can't miss a thing! Same with all those labyrinthian dungeons, only with a lot of backtracking involved. Or dat urge to destroy all the vases...

In other news; Diablo III seems to be everything I wanted it to be. Didn't know it's so damn wonderfully... physical! Shit, I'm already contemplating taking a day off work. This genre done right always grabs me by the balls.

Top Bottom