• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT3| Tyrael Looted: {[El'druin]}

MrDaravon

Did some reading up on the current top Wiz builds and I'm like fuck it I'm just gonna play a DH ain't nobody got time to get carpal tunnel syndrome with all that button pressing.

Yup. This is probably at least partially me just being an old man at this point, but I really just favor simpler builds at this point. Like I enjoyed cookie cutter SW Monk and perma-Archon Wiz at the end of Vanilla D3, but I don't particularly enjoy any the current common Monk builds (at least as of a season or two ago) and fuck top Wiz builds lol. Probably a big part of why I love UE so much, it's pretty easy to play.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
Very out of touch with meta.

Trying to decide what to play this season, I've never done one before due to being console only. Because I've switched to PC I think I'd like to try to play something that's more complex and active as opposed to my preferred invoker crusader on PS4 lol.

Ideally something that's got viable options solo or in a group.

Any ideas?

Trying to decide what to play this season, I've never done one before due to being console only. Because I've switched to PC I think I'd like to try to play something that's more complex and active as opposed to my preferred invoker crusader on PS4 lol.

Any ideas?

If you are concerned with meta and wanting to push, go Monk.

edissonlcn

Neo Member

Any ideas?

Complex and active I would say support barb.
You have to keep moving all the time trying to pull mobs and bring them back to the group so the DPS can kill.

Kadin

I really don't want to play yet another WD but I just love that class so much. Sucks about that hot fix but I'll probably still make that my main. Haven't played a DH in a while though. Decisions decisions...

I really don't want to play yet another WD but I just love that class so much. Sucks about that hot fix but I'll probably still make that my main. Haven't played a DH in a while though. Decisions decisions...

Yeah now that I'm thinking about it I did monk last season and wiz 2 seasons ago.. so now I'm just stuck between dh and wd =\ both which I love =\

Wallach

Well, I decided since I started WD last season I'd start DH this season, though I'll be playing both eventually. Also thought about starting Crusader but the Haedrig's Gift set for them is Roland's. Yuck. Might also run Crusader as third string again this season still though to mess with some Akkhan setups.

Once I have UE in full swing on the DH to start farming for LoN gear I'm gonna see if I can find some fun way to use the Spike Trap changes in LoN.

Dunfisch

215 Paragon, 3 of 6 Set pieces are ancient, ancient Yang's too and 2 Ramaladni's. Comfortable TX farming status attained. Not too shabby for the first night.

I'll never find anything good after this, that must've used up all my luck for the season.

NeoCross

Sup D3GAF, haven't played till Season 3/4 and I'm jumping into the D3 seasn wagon again. Is the gaf clan still full? Wouldn't mind getting in again. Negation#1895

Almost done with the first ever boss. Almost no time to play this week :( I'm noticing that some effects when fighting look sorta pixelated, no idea why.

So, these seasons... To they have new storylines or something?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
215 Paragon, 3 of 6 Set pieces are ancient, ancient Yang's too and 2 Ramaladni's. Comfortable TX farming status attained. Not too shabby for the first night.

Man, I'm always amazed at how fast some of you progress in D3. It will take me a week or two to get where you are on the first night!!!! My DH is level 33 and I'm considering it a good night!!!!

Xanathus

Finally finished the 6 pc UE set and got a Yang + DML. UE is so much more relaxing than playing all of the other sets though I need to figure out how to move faster while maintaining my DPS.

Dunfisch

Man, I'm always amazed at how fast some of you progress in D3. It will take me a week or two to get where you are on the first night!!!! My DH is level 33 and I'm considering it a good night!!!!

Haha, I can relate all too well. That was me back during the RoS launch and before. Now, it's mostly a combination of binging out for the first weekend and the insane power creep. I've had great luck with drops too, so at this moment I'm the strongest player in the EU clan. Doubt that'll stick though =P .

Dinged 402 just earlier, with T13 capability being a thing. By and large, I can do somewhere around 60-70% of a 60 4-man Grift atm. But then you have those people who complete the stuff like 45 Solo Grift without a single set piece or GR solo 75 on the first evening. I'm not that obsessed :D .

Addnan

Finally finished the 6 pc UE set and got a Yang + DML. UE is so much more relaxing than playing all of the other sets though I need to figure out how to move faster while maintaining my DPS.

max rcr in paragon and maybe 1 roll on gear goes a long way to helping with that.

Dunfisch

P444 and general happiness achieved. Next up is grinding Rifts so I can grind Grifts. Could do with even better versions, my Yangs sits at just barely 3K damage and minimum RCR roll of 40%. I think it had no Discipline roll, so I was forced to burn a gift and still get the Disc.

Thinking I'll get my gems up to 65 or more tomorrow. After that maybe start levelling for Caldesanns. Where's my coffee grinder, there's much to do!

Zukuu

Banned
Reached level 70 during early Act 3 in a 4 man group on Torment 1. 2nd day I was already in full class set, ancient weapon, had the furnance cubed, and cleared level 50 or so solo. Wtf the progression speed is insane. If that goes on, I'll have best gear possible within a few days.

I've got 3 questions:
Fuck Death's Breath. What's the fastest way to go about it? I ran a couple of Torment X normal rifts, but it still feels too slow. Can you use the cube to transform something into it?

I run into mana issues sometimes. Having Spiirt Attunement feels great, but I'm not sure which passive I should leave out for that? Short Finger ring means that for pushing Midnight Feast seems almost mandatory. The pets actually don't do all that much, except against rift guardians. I'm doing way more with Acid Cloud and Firewalls (with jeram bracer) against your normal enemies / elite packs.

Do rift guardians count as "elite"? What about yellow champions?

I'm so far behind everyone, about plvl 100 and can do T8 easily but a little slowly. I'm a 99% solo player though so I'm fine with my progress.=\

BashNasty

Honest question: how in the ever living fuck do some of you guys progress so fucking fast? Paragon level 215 in the first night!? What, how is that possible? If I'm not getting powerleveled it takes me quite awhile (around 7-8 hours) just to get to level 70. What EXACTLY are you guys doing to level so fast? I just don't get it.

I've played around 650 hours of Diablo III too, so it's not like I'm new to the game. It's just that it takes time to kill shit and level up, and I just don't understand how you guys are cutting that time out.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Reached level 70 during early Act 3 in a 4 man group on Torment 1. 2nd day I was already in full class set, ancient weapon, had the furnance cubed, and cleared level 50 or so solo. Wtf the progression speed is insane. If that goes on, I'll have best gear possible within a few days.

The bulk of the progression is the fine-tuning, honestly. Getting those last 10% of gear progression is what will take you time if you're invested enough. Is all your gear ancient? Is every piece optimized to make your build work (e.g. does it have, say, a lot of cooldown reduction if it's a CDR-based build)? Have you reached Paragon 700+ so you get all the main paragon upgrades capped out? Have you used the Caldessan recipe to boost your gear stats by sacrificing high-level legendary gems? Can you do GR70? 80? 90+?

No? Then you're not done, unless of course you're not interested in any of that.

I've got 3 questions:
Fuck Death's Breath. What's the fastest way to go about it? I ran a couple of Torment X normal rifts, but it still feels too slow. Can you use the cube to transform something into it?

No.

I run into mana issues sometimes. Having Spiirt Attunement feels great, but I'm not sure which passive I should leave out for that? Short Finger ring means that for pushing Midnight Feast seems almost mandatory. The pets actually don't do all that much, except against rift guardians. I'm doing way more with Acid Cloud and Firewalls (with jeram bracer) against your normal enemies / elite packs.

Can't help you with that, I'm not familiar with witch doctors. But you can check Diablofans to see some good witch doctor build guides. It's really the go-to site if you need to know anything about how to do a particular build: http://www.diablofans.com/builds?fi...-spell-2=-1&filter-build-tag=5&filter-class=8

Do rift guardians count as "elite"? What about yellow champions?

Yellows do, RGs I'm not sure. Good question actually. Don't know about purples either.

Honest question: how in the ever living fuck do some of you guys progress so fucking fast? Paragon level 215 in the first night!? What, how is that possible? If I'm not getting powerleveled it takes me quite awhile (around 7-8 hours) just to get to level 70. What EXACTLY are you guys doing to level so fast? I just don't get it.

I've played around 650 hours of Diablo III too, so it's not like I'm new to the game. It's just that it takes time to kill shit and level up, and I just don't understand how you guys are cutting that time out.

People just get on the game as soon as the season starts, play constantly in 4-man games, which is honestly the biggest thing. Of course it's gonna take 7-8 hours if you're doing it entirely on your own :p. Just being 4 players means you get bonus XP from grouping, more loot, and you can bump up the difficulty to Master at least.

Then they do the season journey as quickly as possible to get a full set, and then there are probably ways to optimize your progression early on. Like doing bounties maybe, so you can get started with a ring of royal grandeur, or putting/cubing a Leoric's Crown with a ruby in there + using Cain's set to get more XP before lvl 70, etc.

What really gets me is people who manage to do the more difficult conquests like GR45 solo without any set in like a day, but honestly it's mostly that they just play the game non-stop, even at night.

Playing in groups of friends helps them a lot, and unless they changed it lately people about the fuck out of grifts to power level paragons in 4 player groups. Solo players can not compete at all in D3.

Wallach

Playing in groups of friends helps them a lot, and unless they changed it lately people about the fuck out of grifts to power level paragons in 4 player groups. Solo players can not compete at all in D3.

I dunno, I've played the majority of the first couple days of the season here solo and I'm P623 as of logging off a few minutes ago. Cleared GR75 solo and unlocked stash space for the season a couple hours ago.

It's more in the long-term aspect of the season that the solo player falls behind, but it'll be a bit less pronounced this season as the support changes are going to keep the 4-player GR ceiling closer to the solo ceiling.

Baliis

NA GAF clan still open ?

Whats your battle tag?

It only took me like 2 hours 15 mins to level this season so thats most of it, just really optimized leveling, then getting your 6piece and jumping straight into t6 plus. Running rifts yesterday there were rifts that gave me 10+ levels each

Dunfisch

Closing in on 550 Paragon. Tomorrow I'll get my stash tab and from there it's the grind to managing a 75 Solo Grift. Anything else I'm sure I can deal with. The Thrill is no joke tho, I didn't have that much trouble in S4 with it with a Monk. DH, I just can't get enough damage in. Gonna be forced to grind out some key items :/ .

Zukuu

Banned
So my friend who leveled with me struggles REALLY hard to do ANYTHING on higher difficulties as monk. He is basically a one-shot and needs 30 minutes for a normal white mob, while I crush Torment X like it's candy.

What is the "go-to" monk build (for general play, not just groups)? Like what set / gear and which skills?

I started S7 hours into the first day and someone in my clan was 450+ on XIII already. I think Asia servers can still buy XP boosts but I don't know if characters can switch regions.

I got Tal Rasha running and it is not as hideous as I thought it would be. I kind of think of it like a minigun where you spin up and then shoot to keep the barrel spinning. I also squeezed in the 2pc Firebird bonus because I could.

Character is pretty competent I am currently Paragon constrained from going to a higher diff.

eek5

0-70 basically doing adventure mode and chaining massacre bonuses. Leveling that way is so fast.
After that work towards 6pc set. On WD it was pretty easy since dmg bonus comes on the 2pc.
Do some regular rifts to get keystones.
Switch to GR to get gems.

Then it's basically running bounty/rift/grift. GR gives the most XP.

Getting to 200 on day one is basically a combination of playing efficient and getting lucky. If you get an ancient weapon drop or RoRG on your first try etc. things can really snowball.

So my friend who leveled with me struggles REALLY hard to do ANYTHING on higher difficulties as monk. He is basically a one-shot and needs 30 minutes for a normal white mob, while I crush Torment X like it's candy.

What is the "go-to" monk build (for general play, not just groups)? Like what set / gear and which skills?

http://www.diablofans.com/builds/82237-t13-speed-ltk-monk-2-4-2-swk

This is what I would work towards if I were playing monk. Also look up one shot monk since that might be easier to gear for. Both are pretty strong farming builds.

Dunfisch

If you're trying to say that you both play on TX in a group and he's not killing a single thing, then that can pretty much only mean he's got no set items - the entire late- and endgame balance revolves around those, and only legendaries will never go the distance.

For Monks, any set has the capability to work TX just fine, and with supplemental legendaries T13 and higher too. You'll have to farm up a set for him, at least a four piece bonus and work it from there.

Mengy

I’m a much, MUCH slower player than most of the peeps here at GAF, but I did manage to get my DH up to paragon 61 this weekend and up to Chapter 3 done for the season journey. I can’t complete chapter 4 yet because T4 is still too hard for my gear, so I have to grind some more yet. The people who keep saying “just complete the season journey to get your free set!”, yeah, without power levelers to group with and to carry you through that journey, it ain’t happening like that.

And that in a nutshell is really the one single key to fast progression in D3: four man groups with power players. Random groups level you much faster than solo and that’s how I did most of my playing this weekend, but the blazing fast levelers, the guys who are a couple hundred paragon levels already, yeah they play solely in groups with other P levelers. It’s the only way you can do that so quickly, except for possibly just playing several dozens of hours straight since Friday...

Baliis

I’m a much, MUCH slower player than most of the peeps here at GAF, but I did manage to get my DH up to paragon 61 this weekend and up to Chapter 3 done for the season journey. I can’t complete chapter 4 yet because T4 is still too hard for my gear, so I have to grind some more yet. The people who keep saying “just complete the season journey to get your free set!”, yeah, without power levelers to group with and to carry you through that journey, it ain’t happening like that.

And that in a nutshell is really the one single key to fast progression in D3: four man groups with power players. Random groups level you much faster than solo and that’s how I did most of my playing this weekend, but the blazing fast levelers, the guys who are a couple hundred paragon levels already, yeah they play solely in groups with other P levelers. It’s the only way you can do that so quickly, except for possibly just playing several dozens of hours straight since Friday...

Just speaking as a witch doctor this season, none of this is really true. It was faster to level solo due to the massacre bonuses and the Helltooth set has damage on the 2 piece that makes clearing t4 for the last 2 pieces easy. Once you get the 6 set, you can jump into t6 plus immediately and by Saturday night I had all the big items I needed and was farming 65 plus for gems and Sunday morning I pushed to 75 for the conquest. I grouped a little bit towards the beginning of the season to do the bounties for the journey and stuff, but have mostly played solo.

WD is prob a bit of an exception this season because of the two piece bonus on helltooth, but group play is not this crazy 10x experience difference like it used to be.

Mengy

WD is prob a bit of an exception this season because of the two piece bonus on helltooth, but group play is not this crazy 10x experience difference like it used to be.

Yeah, that WD set Helltooth looks crazy OP. I have four pcs of the DH set now and honestly I’m finding it underpowered. Last night I dropped it entirely for some random set pcs and legendaries that I found instead, I think I have a mix of 2-pc Marauders + 4-pc Natalyas, the constant rain of vengeance plus all pets constantly is doing much better than the free set was doing. Still can’t handle T4, but getting there.

Zukuu

Banned
If you're trying to say that you both play on TX in a group and he's not killing a single thing, then that can pretty much only mean he's got no set items - the entire late- and endgame balance revolves around those, and only legendaries will never go the distance.

For Monks, any set has the capability to work TX just fine, and with supplemental legendaries T13 and higher too. You'll have to farm up a set for him, at least a four piece bonus and work it from there.
He has this season's set and also depth diggers etc. And flying dragon weapon cubed or something I dunno, he is just dying and he is the one that by far played the most Diablo 3 of us, including previous seasons. He just complains "how op WD are", since I have no issues with my Helltooth Firewall-Acid Cloud build. Found Grin Reaper yesterday and HOLY FUCK, that's basically a ~2x damage increase.

kafiend

Yeah, that WD set Helltooth looks crazy OP. I have four pcs of the DH set now and honestly I’m finding it underpowered. Last night I dropped it entirely for some random set pcs and legendaries that I found instead, I think I have a mix of 2-pc Marauders + 4-pc Natalyas, the constant rain of vengeance plus all pets constantly is doing much better than the free set was doing. Still can’t handle T4, but getting there.

I went from meh and more than a little dangerous on T4 HC with a 4-pc DH set to instant steamroller on a 6-pc. I went straight to T6 and steamrollered that too. I was shocked because up until i got the full set I was thinking it was the worse thing ever.

Top Bottom