• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT3| Tyrael Looted: {[El'druin]}

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Not for the first seasonal tho, right? They start with everything as if it's your first character or do they keep paragon level and access to stash too?

Ah, yes, didn't realize you were asking for seasonal. Yep, everyone starts from scratch.

Xanathus

Whoops, thought I'd already done that. I left now.

Kadin#1207

OK you're in. Also as a reminder to other clannies, we're pruning members who haven't logged in the longest as new (or returning) members come in so make sure you at least just log in if you still intend to keep playing.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I have no idea what class I’m going with this season. I won’t be going WD again, the class is okay but it’s one of my least favorite to play. Ironically enough the necro in D2 was my favorite by a long shot, lol. I’m thinking of going crusader as I‘ve not played the class for a few seasons now. Are crusaders in a good place for S7? Are they fun to play? Do they give you carpal tunnel syndrome?

Xanathus

I have no idea what class I’m going with this season. I won’t be going WD again, the class is okay but it’s one of my least favorite to play. Ironically enough the necro in D2 was my favorite by a long shot, lol. I’m thinking of going crusader as I‘ve not played the class for a few seasons now. Are crusaders in a good place for S7? Are they fun to play? Do they give you carpal tunnel syndrome?

Crusaders are kinda mediocre but aren't bad for solo play. Invoker is really straight-forward and simple to play as you're literally just holding left-click 90% of the time, LoN Bombardment is quite powerful but needs a lot of farming for ancient gear and is awkward to play. The issue with Crusader is that they aren't particularly good at anything and don't bring anything to a group.

I've been gone for like 2 whole seasons due to tax season and then getting hopelessly addicted to Dark Souls 3. My coworker told me that the new season starts tomorrow, which is perfect timing because I'm finally cured of my Dark Souls 3 addiction after beating NG++ last night.

I'm thinking of trying a monk for the new season. How strong is the monk right now?

Dunfisch

I've been gone for like 2 whole seasons due to tax season and then getting hopelessly addicted to Dark Souls 3. My coworker told me that the new season starts tomorrow, which is perfect timing because I'm finally cured of my Dark Souls 3 addiction after beating NG++ last night.

I'm thinking of trying a monk for the new season. How strong is the monk right now?

With a full set and a handful of Ancient items - though not necessarily all of your kit - and the general things you expect, 60+ gems and such, you'll have an easy time of T13, or around Grift 60-65. Raiment is pretty strong now, what with the 6PC having been buffed to a whopping 1250% generator damage boost after you use Dashing Strike.

Speaking of my current monk which I kitted last season, I run Bell SWK and lowball crit 35 billion, with CoE and against Elites it's about 140. Firebells is an awesome screen cleaner, LTK is better for pure Elite Rushing. Raiment looks to be the GR pusher.
Uliana's the same as ever in principle, got an inbuilt buff to EP damage, but still takes somewhat more perfect gear to really shine compared to the other sets.

All in all, Monk has its merits, but in terms of Meta, I doubt it'll compete against the buffed Helltooth Garg WD. If you're looking to farm rifts, or run solo Grifts, there's a bit of everything for Monks now. Groups, you'll most likely just be support.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Less than 24 hours to go. Time to inflict undue pain on my mouse again.

FYI for all of you people in the EU clan, I'll be joining you not at the very beginning of the season (i.e. 5 p.m.), but maybe 1H30-2H after, so around 7 p.m.

I'm in the same boat.
Wizard and Crusader have always been my mains, with Monk a very distant third. But W and C are boring and/or in a weird place right now so I might have to run monk for the first time.

I'm never touching Barb, WD and DH. I never could enjoy any of those.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I'm going DH this time. They usually have good options and I'm curious to see how things shake out with the new Calamity (no longer stacks, but uses the equipped rune)

Wallach

I'm going DH this time. They usually have good options and I'm curious to see how things shake out with the new Calamity (no longer stacks, but uses the equipped rune)

I'm sure I'll wind up with a DH myself. Played one every season so far, no sense stopping now.

It's tough for me to decide which to start with though, because both DH and WD get really strong sets from Haedrig's in S7. Still leaning towards WD since it always feels harder to gear up on that class.

Celegus

Man I should go back to DS3 sometime. Only played it through once, which is a first for me with a Souls game. All the rest I had the platinum within a month of release, but this one just didn't really do it for me.

Wallach

Looks like Ring of Emptiness is getting hotfixed to not apply to pets before the season starts. Pretty okay with that personally, might push me to play Jade this season.

Wallach

And back come the wizards.

I was actually running a Ring of Emptiness build in S6 with pets. It was pretty fun with the Creeping Doom passive.

I dunno really. Wiz still took a beating, LTK Monk looks pretty strong, and Jade is actually still going to scale really well in terms of group DPS (though you will have the classic issue of keeping them alive). Who knows, I wouldn't make any bets just yet. There isn't really a huge outlier now like there was in S6, so it'll probably evolve a bit once the season is in full swing.

I dunno really. Wiz still took a beating, LTK Monk looks pretty strong, and Jade is actually still going to scale really well in terms of group DPS (though you will have the classic issue of keeping them alive). Who knows, I wouldn't make any bets just yet. There isn't really a huge outlier now like there was in S6, so it'll probably evolve a bit once the season is in full swing.

It would be kind of hilarious if Crusader Akkhans is up there.

With a full set and a handful of Ancient items - though not necessarily all of your kit - and the general things you expect, 60+ gems and such, you'll have an easy time of T13, or around Grift 60-65. Raiment is pretty strong now, what with the 6PC having been buffed to a whopping 1250% generator damage boost after you use Dashing Strike.

Speaking of my current monk which I kitted last season, I run Bell SWK and lowball crit 35 billion, with CoE and against Elites it's about 140. Firebells is an awesome screen cleaner, LTK is better for pure Elite Rushing. Raiment looks to be the GR pusher.
Uliana's the same as ever in principle, got an inbuilt buff to EP damage, but still takes somewhat more perfect gear to really shine compared to the other sets.

All in all, Monk has its merits, but in terms of Meta, I doubt it'll compete against the buffed Helltooth Garg WD. If you're looking to farm rifts, or run solo Grifts, there's a bit of everything for Monks now. Groups, you'll most likely just be support.

Thanks for the info my man.

Man I should go back to DS3 sometime. Only played it through once, which is a first for me with a Souls game. All the rest I had the platinum within a month of release, but this one just didn't really do it for me.

DS3 was my first soulsborne game, and holy shit I couldn't get enough of it. It's been a long time since I got that addicted to a video game. Really makes me wish I had played the first 2 when they came out. DS3 is the only game I've ever achieved a platinum on. Pretty crazy.

Celegus

DS3 was my first soulsborne game, and holy shit I couldn't get enough of it. It's been a long time since I got that addicted to a video game. Really makes me wish I had played the first 2 when they came out. DS3 is the only game I've ever achieved a platinum on. Pretty crazy.

Ah yeah that would do it. I got mad into each of them right at release, even the PS4 version of Dark Souls 2 hooked me straight in. Maybe DS3 came too soon after that, but for whatever reason it just didn't grab me.

Probably gonna try a DH this season for something different. Haven't played one of them since before seasons started.

MrDaravon

L O L at them "hotfixing" RoE the day before Season 7 started with no warning or indication whatsoever. I don't follow most of the other classes super closely but that seems super fucked, and everyone seems to be indicating this is just largely going to result in everyone going back to S6 Wiz meta except that isn't as good now, or possibly Monks maybe filling that role now.

Honestly think Blizzard has kinda lost touch with the userbase at this point; to be fair they have to have a pretty skeleton crew on this game though. It's been like this for a few seasons though so nothing new sadly; a lot (most?) of the nerfs with this patch won't actually affect a lot of builds/classes, they'll still run the same stuff it's just lowering the GR ceiling and making leveling slower. Like with DH virtually all they did was destroy Calamity, nerf Cold MS and Wolf, and do a lot of crazy shit/buffs with Spike Trap. But I wasn't really seeing anyone stacking MfD with Calamity at this point, group players are still going to use Cold MS regardless, all builds are pretty much still going to use Wolf, and Spike Trap is still useless. I think the power creep has gotten to the point where it's too crazy in their opinion and they're trying to reign things in, but they're not going about it in seemingly sensible ways. Honestly kinda glad I'm not even tempted to fuck with this Season on PC since I don't have reliable access to one.

Which also reminds me, since I don't have reliable access to a PC for the forseeable future, if I need to be booted from the clan to make room for active people feel free; at whatever point I'm able to get back on the PC version I can just ask for re-admission then, no big deal.

Ah yeah that would do it. I got mad into each of them right at release, even the PS4 version of Dark Souls 2 hooked me straight in. Maybe DS3 came too soon after that, but for whatever reason it just didn't grab me.

Probably gonna try a DH this season for something different. Haven't played one of them since before seasons started.

UE is a fantastic starter set for DH, this would be the season to do it honestly. At this point I always rock UE, it's a pretty fast build and also probably competes with M6 for the 2nd best DH set behind the FoK/Impale builds (which I personally cannot stand playing whatsoever even though doing completely obscene Impale DPS is hilarious). At this point with all of the nerfs/changes they've been doing I'm just mostly hoping they don't fuck with DH too much; even if DH is one of the bottom classes I like some of their builds and would rather continue to be able to play those than have them make changes that fuck those up in their attempts to balance things out now.

Zukuu

Banned
L O L at them "hotfixing" RoE the day before Season 7 started with no warning or indication whatsoever. I don't follow most of the other classes super closely but that seems super fucked, and everyone seems to be indicating this is just largely going to result in everyone going back to S6 Wiz meta except that isn't as good now, or possibly Monks maybe filling that role now.

Honestly think Blizzard has kinda lost touch with the userbase at this point; to be fair they have to have a pretty skeleton crew on this game though. It's been like this for a few seasons though so nothing new sadly; a lot (most?) of the nerfs with this patch won't actually affect a lot of builds/classes, they'll still run the same stuff it's just lowering the GR ceiling and making leveling slower. Like with DH virtually all they did was destroy Calamity, nerf Cold MS and Wolf, and do a lot of crazy shit/buffs with Spike Trap. But I wasn't really seeing anyone stacking MfD with Calamity at this point, group players are still going to use Cold MS regardless, all builds are pretty much still going to use Wolf, and Spike Trap is still useless. I think the power creep has gotten to the point where it's too crazy in their opinion and they're trying to reign things in, but they're not going about it in seemingly sensible ways. Honestly kinda glad I'm not even tempted to fuck with this Season on PC since I don't have reliable access to one.

Which also reminds me, since I don't have reliable access to a PC for the forseeable future, if I need to be booted from the clan to make room for active people feel free; at whatever point I'm able to get back on the PC version I can just ask for re-admission then, no big deal.

UE is a fantastic starter set for DH, this would be the season to do it honestly. At this point I always rock UE, it's a pretty fast build and also probably competes with M6 for the 2nd best DH set behind the FoK/Impale builds (which I personally cannot stand playing whatsoever even though doing completely obscene Impale DPS is hilarious). At this point with all of the nerfs/changes they've been doing I'm just mostly hoping they don't fuck with DH too much; even if DH is one of the bottom classes I like some of their builds and would rather continue to be able to play those than have them make changes that fuck those up in their attempts to balance things out now.
OMG MY PLEAS HAVE BEEN HEARD.

RoE was utterly stupid with overpowered Gargantuan with Short Finger. It really made it so that there was not even a remotely comparable build for WD, unless you like doing 10% of the DPS output of RoE Hellgarg. Thank god, this opens up a few more builds that are only "somewhat inferior" instead of being a walking joke.

Xanathus

Wizard it is for season 7 then :/ I was looking forward to hitting level 70 in 2 hours...

edit: LOL just noticed one advantage to getting the free Tal Rasha set for Wiz, you also get the Amulet for free so that's 7 set items instead of 6 for every other class

Attrition

OMG MY PLEAS HAVE BEEN HEARD.

RoE was utterly stupid with overpowered Gargantuan with Short Finger. It really made it so that there was not even a remotely comparable build for WD, unless you like doing 10% of the DPS output of RoE Hellgarg. Thank god, this opens up a few more builds that are only "somewhat inferior" instead of being a walking joke.

So you're arguing in favor of less builds?

This is what I don't understand. Why not just lower/adjust the damage to be in a similar range with the other Witch Doctor builds? What they've done is remove specific skills from a rings power making a build no longer viable. That logic goes for all classes and their builds. This reminds me of the Mortiks nerf for Barbarians.

I am not a gameplay designer but I do not understand how it is so difficult to make multiple balanced builds for all the classes. Can they play builds and parse them to figure out the damage numbers and balance accordingly? Could they also have been working on this for the last 4-6 weeks to find a better solution? Instead we get a massive nerf/build deletion 24 hours before the season starts.

So with the nerf, Witch Doctors have one less build to play and they are again forced to go zDPS for high level GRs - since their DPS classes are booty. I want more options, not less.

Thanks Blizzard.

Wallach

This is what I don't understand. Why not just lower/adjust the damage to be in a similar range with the other Witch Doctor builds? What they've done is remove specific skills from a rings power making a build no longer viable. That logic goes for all classes and their builds. This reminds me of the Mortiks nerf for Barbarians.

I am not a gameplay designer but I do not understand how it is so difficult to make multiple balanced builds for all the classes. Can they play builds and parse them to figure out the damage numbers and balance accordingly? Could they also have been working on this for the last 4-6 weeks to find a better solution? Instead we get a massive nerf/build deletion 24 hours before the season starts.

So with the nerf, Witch Doctors have one less build to play and they are again forced to go zDPS for high level GRs - since their DPS classes are booty. I want more options, not less.

Thanks Blizzard.

It's not like HT Garg is a new build, or hinged on this ring to begin with. The only thing hinging on the ring affecting Garg is whether it was going to be both the best solo and group build in the game, or just one of the maybe top 3 solo progression builds in the game and not as good for group play. The latter, just like last season, is a lot more reasonable.

I can't fathom why anyone who plays WD would ever want to be playing HT Garg the one time they get into the "DPS meta" anyway. Talk about some monkey's paw shit.

Xanathus

Thanks Blizzard.
I believe you're under the incorrect impression that the RoE buff made HT Garg equally as strong as the other WD builds. In fact what it did was made it FAR stronger than every other WD build, and also even stronger DPS than every other class in the game. This nerf is actually balancing so that now HT Garg is more closer in power level to every other WD build. It's still completely viable just like last season.

So what they did is the exact opposite of what you're complaining about.

Attrition

I believe you're under the incorrect impression that the RoE buff made HT Garg equally as strong as the other WD builds. In fact what it did was made it FAR stronger than every other WD build, and also even stronger DPS than every other class in the game. This nerf is actually balancing so that now HT Garg is more closer in power level to every other WD build. It's still completely viable just like last season.

So what they did is the exact opposite of what you're complaining about.

Nope, I think you maybe read my post wrong? I understand that the RoE Garg build was strong, really strong in fact. My point was rework(lower) the damage numbers of Garg if it was too strong, but leave the ring bonus alone. Or maybe, work on the other Witch Doctor sets/builds and bring them up to the RoE Garg level. Furthermore, apply this same principle to all other classes with neglected sets/builds, especially Barb and Crusader.

Wizard will most likely be the top DPS class again for the 3rd time in a row(4 out of the last 5). Monk and DH have been top DPS classes in seasons. Barb, Crusader and Witch Doctor are all relegated to playing zDPS in GRs after a certain point.

Wallach

Nope, I think you maybe read my post wrong? I understand that the RoE Garg build was strong, really strong in fact. My point was rework(lower) the damage numbers of Garg if it was too strong, but leave the ring bonus alone. Or maybe, work on the other Witch Doctor sets/builds and bring them up to the RoE Garg level. Furthermore, apply this same principle to all other classes with neglected sets/builds, especially Barb and Crusader.

Wizard will most likely be the top DPS class again for the 3rd time in a row(4 out of the last 5). Monk and DH have been top DPS classes in seasons. Barb, Crusader and Witch Doctor are all relegated to playing zDPS in GRs after a certain point.

I don't think you're really giving enough weight to how far Wizard dropped. I still think people will run them at the outset due to familiarity accelerating the setup and it still being pretty good, but the grouping is a lot tighter now and you have less evolved builds like generator Monk which math out incredibly high and have a good chance of taking the top DPS spot. HT Garg still sims out really high (and did even in S6, only overshadowed like most other DPS roles by Wizard fuckery), and Jade is close enough behind it that they're probably really close in practice for group play due to how real-world Garg DPS is impacted by the lack of control. The real top DPS spot may even be a build people aren't paying that much attention to yet.

I also don't expect between the personal DPS ceiling drops and significant cut in zDPS group damage contribution through buffs that we'll continue to even see 3 support groups be the dominant setup. My guess is 2:2 splits will probably be more common as the season goes out farther. It would not surprise me all that much to see stuff like 4 Monk or 3 Monk 1 Barb / WD wind up pushing the furthest in S7.

Zukuu

Banned

That change would have made RoE MANDATORY and nerfed the shit out of Garg for all other specs for no reason.

The only other change they could have made, would have been to lower the RoE bonus to 150% or something or simply make it an accumulative damage increase, rather than a multiplicator, but that would have defeated the purpose to buff non-Hellgarg specs.

That's what they should have done to twister wiz really early on. Instead they let it be stupidly powerful compared to every other spec for 2 seasons and everyone complained. Then they messed up a buff that was targetted at making Jade not shit which would have had the same result as twister wiz, fix the issue before the season starts, and everyone complains.

Ploid 3.0

Just read about the ROE destruction. So it's trash again (though previous seasons I did tilt my head while looking at it, thinking it could be a interesting item, but not at it's old stats), and nothing changed for WD. I played WD last season and I was looking forward to messing with this. I read it also doesn't work for Jade set, the only damage buff is for the Haunt placed on the mob. No dots.

Maybe I'll try monk again, I would do Bombard Crusader again, but getting that going takes so much time. This season just seems a bit boring now. Mainly nerfs to support apparently. I'll check the change log now, thank goodness I found out about this ROE thing, now my hype is removed and I'm no longer that impatient for tonight to come. Though knowing about this much earlier, like a week or 3, would have been easier on me. I hate that feeling of hyped anticipation.

Screw it, going DH. Fast-ish start, super fast farming. Same build.

Honestly I think the thing that is pissing most off is this hit the night before seasons start. If this had landed a week or two ago people wouldn't be nearly as angry. Now you have people having to reevaluate everything hours before season start.

edissonlcn

Neo Member
That's what they should have done to twister wiz really early on. Instead they let it be stupidly powerful compared to every other spec for 2 seasons and everyone complained. Then they messed up a buff that was targetted at making Jade not shit which would have had the same result as twister wiz, fix the issue before the season starts, and everyone complains.

I guess the problem is timing, they had the whole PTR to fix the ring and now less than 24 hours for the season to start they nerf it to the ground.
I was glad that I would finally play WD for real this season, I guess I'll go back to monk for another season.
And I guess this will be the first season that we have no idea what the meta will look like, at least this is exciting.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
Heya guys and gals!

I've put a lot of time into console D3 and have just switched back to PC for the first time since way back around launch.

Does anyone have a Gem of Ease I could borrow to level up my DH? All I have here is a wizard and it's just not my style, ewwww.

Also should I mess with this Season 7 nonsense? How long are seasons?

Ploid 3.0

Heya guys and gals!

I've put a lot of time into console D3 and have just switched back to PC for the first time since way back around launch.

Does anyone have a Gem of Ease I could borrow to level up my DH? All I have here is a wizard and it's just not my style, ewwww.

Which server? I don't even mess with non season stuff so I probably have a lot of gem of ease to let you have. (North America)

Nevermind, they are account bound. On console I suppose they aren't.

edissonlcn

Neo Member
Heya guys and gals!

Season is the way to go, especially if you are just starting.
They usually last for 3-4 months and then everything you achieve during season is transfered back to non season. Including your characters, items and paragon lvl.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
Season is the way to go, especially if you are just starting.
They usually last for 3-4 months and then everything you achieve during season is transfered back to non season. Including your characters, items and paragon lvl.

ooooh i didn't realize you got to keep your stuff after, that makes it way more appealing. i was hesitant because i didn't want to invest time and lose that stuff after. cool! i'll make my new DH with the new season!

i'm on US BNET Cro #1403 if anyone wants to play!

Xanathus

Heya guys and gals!

Gem of Ease is account-bound like all other legendary gems, I'm surprised that it isn't on consoles? You can get power-leveled to 70 in less than 30 minutes but it's probably better to just start fresh on season since you get objectives and a free set and cosmetic rewards and a stash tab.

Anyway I'm still torn on whether to roll DH or Wiz for season this time.

Xanathus

Did some reading up on the current top Wiz builds and I'm like fuck it I'm just gonna play a DH ain't nobody got time to get carpal tunnel syndrome with all that button pressing.

Ploid 3.0

Well, I did the D3 character creation spin thing, and the first pick was DH (M), and the final remaining class was DH (F), so I guess it's destined for me to play DH this season.

Refuse to play Wizard for three seasons in a row, so either gonna still go WD or try DH since I have never played it. Might just get stash tab and bail though.

Baliis

Did some reading up on the current top Wiz builds and I'm like fuck it I'm just gonna play a DH ain't nobody got time to get carpal tunnel syndrome with all that button pressing.

Makes me miss the old days of CM/WW wiz, break your key board doing that shit.

Even with the RoE nerf I'll prob still play WD this season with a monk alt maybe. Will give me an excuse to try out Jade Harvester if that turns out better.

Makes me miss the old days of CM/WW wiz, break your key board doing that shit.

Even with the RoE nerf I'll prob still play WD this season with a monk alt maybe. Will give me an excuse to try out Jade Harvester if that turns out better.

Yep, screw still going WD. Not like I'm going to be in this for anything more than 600 or so paragon so it really doesn't matter.

Top Bottom