• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT3| Tyrael Looted: {[El'druin]}

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I did more experimenting with LTK. The LoN version seems promising but I'm still missing too many pieces.

In the mean time, I've switched over to the Hand of Ytar rune with SWK. No more need to shift-click and it doesn't trigger the Epiphany teleport, so it's a lot easier to play and maintain stacks. With the 50% attack speed on LTK, your base APS would need to be low - around 1.3 - for that to be self-sustaining via the belt stack regen, but fortunately the crits make up some difference there.

eek5

I did more experimenting with LTK. The LoN version seems promising but I'm still missing too many pieces.

In the mean time, I've switched over to the Hand of Ytar rune with SWK. No more need to shift-click and it doesn't trigger the Epiphany teleport, so it's a lot easier to play and maintain stacks. With the 50% attack speed on LTK, your base APS would need to be low - around 1.3 - for that to be self-sustaining via the belt stack regen, but fortunately the crits make up some difference there.

Drop the two rings for F+R and run WotHF/FoF and your stack problems are over. Dash in, punch a bit to apply dot then you can LTK all you want. You can drop belt for WH or SoE too. I'm blasting 2-3 min 60-65s with this.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Someone educate me on off-hand weapons:
- does their damage value actually count towards your total DPS output? If so, does it apply to every skill? If not, which ones?

I have a R6 Gen monk, and I'm trying to decide between two non-ancient Shenlong's Fist of Legend for my off-hand. One has more damage than the other (the other has more survivability because vit + Simplicity's Strength gem). Will the higher damage value provide more DPS in the end?

Raticus79

Drop the two rings for F+R and run WotHF/FoF and your stack problems are over. Dash in, punch a bit to apply dot then you can LTK all you want. You can drop belt for WH or SoE too. I'm blasting 2-3 min 60-65s with this.

Oh yeah, that makes sense for making it a bit more GR-worthy I guess. Could use the spirit guards too.

I'm having a weird issue where it seems like the SWK bonus isn't always applied, even when there are sufficient stacks. Trying to figure out if it's limited to one of the runes.

- does their damage value actually count towards your total DPS output? If so, does it apply to every skill? If not, which ones?

I have a R6 Gen monk, and I'm trying to decide between two non-ancient Shenlong's Fist of Legend for my off-hand. One has more damage than the other (the other has more survivability because vit + Simplicity's Strength gem). Will the higher damage value provide more DPS in the end?

You'll need the damage on both for generators. In general, you can use two weapons with different attack speeds and then watch your character sheet APS while you attack - if stays the same, the skill only uses mainhand damage.
Edit: never mind, that hasn't worked in a while since they don't show the current APS on the sheet any more.

Dunfisch

Generators alternate between the main- and offhand. First strike, mainhand. Second strike, offhand. Third strike, mainhand - and so on. Spenders calculate off the mainhand in regards to the damage roll of the weapon there. Offhand only exists as statstick for this. Legendary affixes apply either way, naturally.

There's some exceptions for things like Cyclones from Sweeping Wind with the last rune, where each cyclone is calculated off the hand which dealt the strike that spawned it.

So in this case, for pure generator, more listed damage on the weapon directly translates to higher DPS. But being dead you don't deal damage at all, so survivability may be the better choice =P . You ought to pick one which rolled with increase to max Spirit if possible, every point there directly boosts too.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
So basically, for a monk, it doesn't matter if you're going LTK or Gen, you need DPS on off-hand in both cases, right? Thanks for the insight.

In other news, I cleared the Season Journey. Not just the stash tab, but Guardian as well.

The hardest part was definitely doing a T13 rift in under 4 minutes. I tried in pub games, but obviously it doesn't work well because people are not strong enough and/or are not speedrunning rifts.

So I tried solo with LTK. Never mind the fact that LTK monks are squishy on T13 - I had to replace Avarice Band + Boon with Unity + Esoteric Alteration, then CoE + Esoteric Alteration once I got more comfortable -, the issue is really the Sweeping Wind stacks. They're so hard to maintain against few targets, even with 50+ crit chance. 10 stacks usually aren't enough for the rift guardian, so you have to run away at some point, let your stacks build up again, and then finish the job. That's why I swapped Unity for CoE.

I was always waaaay above the 4 minute mark. But when the stars aligned and I got a good rift, suddently I cleared with 1:30 to spare. Weird, after struggling so much.

Also, I cleared GR70. I'm coming for your ass, Gegz.

RS4-

What's the portrait frame for Guardian? I'm guessing its a red trim with the snow? I'm just assuming from previous ones on google lol.

Raticus79

Taking on the SWK set dungeon made me realize something new - even with the belt, your SW stacks will go to 0 if you're in range of an enemy and not attacking for 2 seconds. (forgot that it drops to 0 instead of losing a counter)

Took me a few tries to figure out why I kept losing my SW.

Edit: mastered. Just manually refresh your SW while running through the crowds.

eek5

What's the portrait frame for Guardian? I'm guessing its a red trim with the snow? I'm just assuming from previous ones on google lol.

maJ99wI.png

Looks like I have settled on a gear build for my Wizard. Maybe I will switch up one of the 2 defensive skills I have.

If I can roll off the attack speed on the Tal Rasha chest armor and not take any AS in Paragon I can full-time channel with 4 RCR affixes. This allows me to offset the squishy Tal Rasha bonus with a cubed Aquila.

EDIT - This also means I can dump the resource passive for the cheat death one.

Slow Time is such a great skill. So versatile.

Here is hoping that the next 19 rerolls of my Deathwish will finally produce an ancient.

RS4-

Taking on the SWK set dungeon made me realize something new - even with the belt, your SW stacks will go to 0 if you're in range of an enemy and not attacking for 2 seconds. (forgot that it drops to 0 instead of losing a counter)

Took me a few tries to figure out why I kept losing my SW.

Edit: mastered. Just manually refresh your SW while running through the crowds.

I gave up on the SWK dungeon. One time I got the 5/5 but was missing one guy. Other time, cleared the whole dungeon but 4/5. Ended up doing the Inna dungeon instead.

Ah thanks, thought it was a deeper red without the leaves or whatever the fuck.

I just need to knock off one more conquest and the sub 5 min rift for the stash, the rest I can worry about later. Tried to get the 50m one, didn't pan out. Gonna try it again tonight.

Xanathus

Got my M2/S2 setup and pushing 75+, playstyle is effing annoying though. Not sure how far I'll push but I need to grind my gems up to 70 anyway. The bigger concern is that the last season journey requires a 4 minute clear of a T13 rift which is annoying because it comes down to fishing for rifts.

VoxPop

I realize at the end of gearing every season that this game is one long grind for NOTHING. GRs just don't do it for me. Yet I always come back.

Diablo 2 had PVP and selling items on eBay. They really need to add more incentives to play -_-

29 rerolls and no ancient Deathwish yet. Kadala is the source of all 4 of my equipped ancients.

I tried some TXIII rifts in public but they take too long still and the drops feel the same as lower difficulties. There is this gap in public grifts too, TX is around 55 now and it is dead until TXIII which pushes around 70.

eek5

Got my M2/S2 setup and pushing 75+, playstyle is effing annoying though. Not sure how far I'll push but I need to grind my gems up to 70 anyway. The bigger concern is that the last season journey requires a 4 minute clear of a T13 rift which is annoying because it comes down to fishing for rifts.

T13 in 4 min should be really easy. Join pub game or do a run with me :|

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
29 rerolls and no ancient Deathwish yet. Kadala is the source of all 4 of my equipped ancients.

I tried some TXIII rifts in public but they take too long still and the drops feel the same as lower difficulties. There is this gap in public grifts too, TX is around 55 now and it is dead until TXIII which pushes around 70.

TXI is my sweet spot.

Finally got to P700. And was finally able to reforge my Shenlong's Fist of Legend into an ancient leg... Albeit a crappy one.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
How does the Bottomless Potion of Amplification work, exactly? The one that says "increase healing from all sources".

Does that include Life on Hit? i.e if you normally gain 10k HP from an attack, the potion makes that 12.5k?

Does the potion apply the effect to itself as well? So, instead of healing you for 60% of your life, it gives you more?

Cause right now I'm using the Potion of the Leech, which gives you only LoH. I'll probably keep it anyway since it gives you somethink like 18k LoH, but I'm curious nonetheless.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Holy crap 3rd post in a row, is this thread dead or what?

Anyway, I was just watching bits of Quin69's - the biggest D3 Twitch streamer, for those who don't know - latest stream from 3 days ago. He's invited to GamesCom by Blizzard, and he'll be streaming from there. He had this to say at the end of his last stream (@ 14:32:10 here : https://www.twitch.tv/quin69/v/83183976):

Quin69 said:
The next stream will be at GamesCom. [...] Tune the fuck in. If you're not tuned in on GamesCom, dude, you're missing out. Shit is gonna go down. There might be new content, okay? There is a chance that there will be new Diablo content, so hang out for that shit, dude. Get excited, get hyped. Five days from now, there is a fucking good chance we could be streaming some new Diablo content.

(emphasis mine)

If there's one personality outside of Blizzard staff who might be privy to some info on what's going on with Diablo, Quin69 is probably that personality. It could be anything: patch 2.4.3, 2.5, Season 8, an expansion, a spin-off, the D1/D2 remaster or D4.

Notice how he didn't specify "Diablo 3" though. Assuming he's being vague on purpose, it's probably not a new patch, season or expansion.

HYPE

Raticus79

Solid hype speech there. Yeah, lots of us looking forward to potentially finding out what the "unannounced Diablo project" job postings were all about.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Solid hype speech there. Yeah, lots of us looking forward to potentially finding out what the "unannounced Diablo project" job postings were all about.

Quin69 is like New Zealand's YoshiChan in terms of hype levels.
Though the former doesn't just quit the game altogether after a while. ;(

Keep in mind that there is still BlizzCon though. Whatever they plan to unveil at GamesCom, we'll probably get more details or other Diablo-related stuff at BlizzCon.

strafer

Holy crap 3rd post in a row, is this thread dead or what?

Anyway, I was just watching bits of Quin69's - the biggest D3 Twitch streamer, for those who don't know - latest stream from 3 days ago. He's invited to GamesCom by Blizzard, and he'll be streaming from there. He had this to say at the end of his last stream (@ 14:32:10 here : https://www.twitch.tv/quin69/v/83183976):

(emphasis mine)

If there's one personality outside of Blizzard staff who might be privy to some info on what's going on with Diablo, Quin69 is probably that personality. It could be anything: patch 2.4.3, 2.5, Season 8, an expansion, a spin-off, the D1/D2 remaster or D4.

Notice how he didn't specify "Diablo 3" though. Assuming he's being vague on purpose, it's probably not a new patch, season or expansion.

HYPE

oh mama

Wallach

Even though the game's ~4 years old now, it feels early for Diablo 4. Maybe that's in the cards, but I feel like I'd rather see another expansion pack for Diablo 3 than Diablo 4 yet.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
So, any new cool weapons or armor in this new patch?

Nothing mindblowing comes to mind. There's like 6 new legendaries (one per class), and a few reworked legendaries and sets. For instance, the Monk Raiment of a Thousand Storms set's 6-piece gives you 1250% dmg on generators now, vs. 300% before, effectively making Generator monks a thing for GR pushing this patch.

This is probably one of the lightest patch in a long while. The main change is really the 3 new Torment levels above 10.

Raticus79

So, any new cool weapons or armor in this new patch?

Scarbringer made some interesting builds possible. I just copied what Eek was doing but went with the ranged fire rune instead. (profile)

The life per spirit spent on the helmet does a pretty good job of helping me stay alive thanks to the LTK spam, especially when in-geom is up.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Scarbringer made some interesting builds possible. I just copied what Eek was doing but went with the ranged fire rune instead. (profile)

The life per spirit spent on the helmet does a pretty good job of helping me stay alive thanks to the LTK spam, especially when in-geom is up.

Ah yeah, right, forgot about Scarbringer. That's one of the few new items I was talking about. I use it for my LTK monk. Only problem with that build is that it's extremely squishing. When I do 4-man bounties on T11 I can still die if I'm not careful and don't have Epiphany on.

RS4-

I can do 71 or was it 72 with that slightly modified LTK build. But when it comes to R6, I get instantly blown up.

Don't think I'm really gonna do any GR pushing, maybe 75 for the third conquest. Aside from that, I think I'm already done for the season.

Raticus79

Ah yeah, right, forgot about Scarbringer. That's one of the few new items I was talking about. I use it for my LTK monk. Only problem with that build is that it's extremely squishing. When I do 4-man bounties on T11 I can still die if I'm not careful and don't have Epiphany on.

I'm doing all right now that I've switched to that generator version with spirit guards and focus+restraint. Currently doing GR60 at a decent pace (~5 minutes).

2 more hours until the Blizzard Gamescom show - might as well use this thread for now:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1263930

Smilax

I want to try Diablo III out, but I have really slow internet and want to buy it physically. Do I need to buy both the Diablo III box and the Diablo III: RoS Box as well? This is for PC by the way.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I'm doing all right now that I've switched to that generator version with spirit guards and focus+restraint. Currently doing GR60 at a decent pace (~5 minutes).

2 more hours until the Blizzard Gamescom show - might as well use this thread for now:

The Quin version of the LTK build (with nems and without spirit guards) can clear GR60/T13 as efficiently. In fact, I was able to clear a T13 rift well under 4 minutes for the season journey with that build. Granted, I had to fish rifts quite a bit, as before that I always failed.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I want to try Diablo III out, but I have really slow internet and want to buy it physically. Do I need to buy both the Diablo III box and the Diablo III: RoS Box as well? This is for PC by the way.

There is a free starter version of the game that lets you go up to the first boss of the first act and level up to 15 with every class. That should give you an idea.

You need both D3 and RoS if you want to play all the content, but if you're on the fence you could also buy D3 alone, play it, and see if you dig the gameplay. Just a word of warning: RoS makes the game infinitely better. Like most people, you'll probably hate the campaign mode for its horrible writing and clichéd story, but RoS gives you another mode that lets you skip the campaign and go to any place, any act all the time and do randomized quests and dungeons. The expansion is pretty much a required buy if you're looking to play the game well after its "ending".

eek5

Are you getting blown up? Looks like you only have 300k hp. I'd probably roll one or both my weapons to vit temporarily until you can even it out.

The Quin version of the LTK build (with nems and without spirit guards) can clear GR60/T13 as efficiently. In fact, I was able to clear a T13 rift well under 4 minutes for the season journey with that build. Granted, I had to fish rifts quite a bit, as before that I always failed.

I run nems instead of spirit guards in 60-65. I don't switch to spirit guards until around 70 usually. After 75 you probably need to switch out something for crystal fist.

I switched BoTP to gogok and I'm doing 60s in 2-3 min (cleared one at 1:45 yesterday) and 65 in 3 min. The 15% APS makes everythign feel a lot more fluid and fun as well.

The issue with quin's build in "speed" GR is the clearing is fast but the RG sucks to kill because of dropping stacks. As long as you punch every 5 seconds with the generator LTK build you'll have uptime on your stacks. If they fall off you can hit SW again and the dots from your generator will instantly build them back up.

Xanathus

Someone posted this on r/diablo about the Gamescom Blizz stream :(
WoW: Hey look, so much new stuff
HS: Hey look, so much new stuff
D3: Hey look, so much stuff we did in the last years
HotS: Hey look, so much new stuff
SC2: Hey look, so much new stuff

Raticus79

gamescom
jirABCE.gif

Are you getting blown up? Looks like you only have 300k hp. I'd probably roll one or both my weapons to vit temporarily until you can even it out.

Yup, getting clobbered fairly often if I try to push it. I've just been running a few levels lower and putting paragon points into vitality in the mean time.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I wasn't expecting anything during that "preview show". The name alone indicated that it would be light on content. Whatever they have for Diablo I'm expecting in the coming days, on Quin's stream most likely.

eek5

I wasn't expecting anything during that "preview show". The name alone indicated that it would be light on content. Whatever they have for Diablo I'm expecting in the coming days, on Quin's stream most likely.

Bro why you gotta set yourself up for disappointment :|

eek5

oh sorry i misread and thought you meant swap the bonuses

yeah it's dumb that the def bonus doesn't keep chaining but i never found it too big of a deal since you generally use all 4 elements anyway

Top Bottom