• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT3| Tyrael Looted: {[El'druin]}

Lanrutcon

I really wish Blizzard would just let you start at level 60 or 70 already in seasons if you've leveled that class before. For all of D3's strengths, the leveling process isn't one of them. It's just tedious.

It takes all of a single day to make a 70. Less if you have a -level req weapon. Shitload less if you have a buddy at 70. If you're in the GAF PC clan, hit up Lanrutcon when you see me around and I'll boost ya (as other clan people have boosted me, you know who you are: thank ye).

Characters are already disposable plates you use one season and then throw away. Not saying the other extreme (read: PoE) is better, but D3 makes a lot of concessions to be approachable as fuck.

It takes all of a single day to make a 70.

But... that's too much??? I feel like you may have lost perspective on this.

Also, if they're already totally disposable (and they are), having to level them just adds tedium for no reason. I don't understand the resistance to this at all. Hell, WoW lets you do it (for money, granted, but also once for free* with purchase of an expansion pack) and WoW toons are a lot less disposable.

You can level up in 3 hours if you do bounties and in a group but solo it can be done.

I'm a broken record but: that's too much time (also not nearly realistic in my experience it's at least 5-6 hours to solo, as I usually play) and I just plain don't find it fun. The game doesn't start till 70 imo, 61 maybe since decent loot starts to drop then. An optional boost to 60 for character you've leveled before hurts no one, don't use the option if you wish, there's no reason not to have it at this point tho.

And I've already gotten boosted this season, but if that wasn't an option I don't know that I'd do it. I certainly wouldn't do more than 1 character per season.

Nokterian

Also, if they're already totally disposable (and they are), having to level them just adds tedium for no reason. I don't understand the resistance to this at all. Hell, WoW lets you do it (for money, granted, but also once for free* with purchase of an expansion pack) and WoW toons are a lot less disposable.

Diablo is not WoW also Seasons are 3 months long at most after that you start fresh again, that is the whole point, i do a rebirth of my most played class since this new patch i find it fun to play again. I only play seasons i can't play normal diablo again because it doesn't give me goal to play with.

You can level up in 3 hours if you do bounties and in a group but solo it can be done.

Lanrutcon

No. No no. You're the one who's lost perspective here. You know how long it took to level a diablo 1 character to max? diablo 2? ...yeah. Blizzard has already come to the table and sped things up to mere hours. The line has to be drawn somewhere. What's next? leveling is tedium, remove it. Gathering items is tedium, remove it. Judging stats is tedium, remove it. Clicking my mouse is tedium, remove it.

No. No no. You're the one who's lost perspective here. You know how long it took to level a diablo 1 character to max? diablo 2? ...yeah. Blizzard has already come to the table and sped things up to mere hours. The line has to be drawn somewhere. What's next? leveling is tedium, remove it. Gathering items is tedium, remove it. Judging stats is tedium, remove it. Clicking my mouse is tedium, remove it.

This isn't Diablo 1 or 2, it's a different game. Characters are already disposable. And your argument is a slippery slope fallacy. Plus, I'm proposing it for characters you've leveled before. But I can see you're digging your heels in so I'll leave it at that.

Lanrutcon

This isn't Diablo 1 or 2, it's a different game. Characters are already disposable. And your argument is a slippery slope fallacy. Plus, I'm proposing it for characters you've leveled before. But I can see you're digging your heels in so I'll leave it at that.

Damn right I am.

But you'll probably see something similar to what your asking in the next iteration, maybe even next expansion (nothing confirmed, but I hope there will be one). I can totally see the general player base agreeing with you.

Damn right I am.

But you'll probably see something similar to what your asking in the next iteration, maybe even next expansion (nothing confirmed, but I hope there will be one). I can totally see the general player base agreeing with you.

But hang on... you just admitted you got boosted yourself. So you circumvented the holy leveling process! I'm not understanding your position, here.

Lanrutcon

But hang on... you just admitted you got boosted yourself. So you circumvented the holy leveling process! I'm not understanding your position, here.

My position is this: there's the fuck your time old school, and then there's the ultra mainstream instant gratification modern. I don't prefer either extreme, my preference sits somewhere in the middle. Right now Blizzard has drawn the line just in front of throwing the leveling process out the window. It's a good place in my opinion, because given how the game looked in vanilla (that fucking auction house) I shudder at where the line could have been. There's a slope there, and it's slippery with money.

I do realise my position is probably not the popular one.

TSM

There's no compelling game play to be found below level 70. Every level is relatively short, and you are just constantly swapping out skills and terrible gear. Then once you hit 70 your character is exactly the same as every other character of the same class. The game doesn't start until you hit 70. The game is completely tuned around slaughtering enemies at a rapid pace, and being under leveled with crap gear feels and plays poorly.

Getting back into Diablo 3 is like "you just need to eat shit for several hours, but dont worry the good food is coming at the end(game)"

Wallach

I really enjoy Diablo 3's leveling. It's fun to get upgrades as you go, and doesn't overstay its welcome on repeat characters. It's also fun to load up a second character with Paragon and Gem of Ease stuff and have them wreck stuff while leveling.

That's the game though, there's no difference whether I level them or not, if I can I get them boosted anyway. Characters ARE totally disposable regardless, having to level them really doesn't change that. I only play seasonal anyway, the rest might as well not exist. The leveling is just a trudge to get to the actual meat at the game at this point. There's nothing fun or interesting about it imo, but if you guys enjoy it, good. I'm just saying, give me the option to skip ahead for classes I've already leveled half a dozen times. It's several tedious hours that I just don't enjoy at all and it's certainly NOT the reason I play seasons.

They are totally disposable. I'm constantly deleting whatever character before each season. I don't care or think about which one I'm deleting either. Doesn't bother me one bit. Leveling is just so annoying after doing it several times.

True, I suppose.

-----------------------------------------------

As for that Diablo 1 content....

Diablo 1 deserved better. Lets just leave it at that.

Fonds

If there wouldn't be any leveling in between seasons the characters would be even more interchangeable.

There isn't much to set the season apart as it is.
If I feel just about as powerful right from the start of a new season, I'd feel as if I never left 'the Hamsterwheel'.
That build-up (however short it might be) helps me recognize I'm at least playing something akin to an ARPG.

Audioboxer

What's the state of the current Barbarian, still hitting like a truck? At launch on PC I played Barbarian, then on PS3 switched to DH, and finally settled on Crusader. Going to start a new level 1 character with recent Pro patch and do the Diablo 1 content first, then onwards to 70.

So I might go back to Barbarian for some massacre fun. I find the melee combat in Diablo 3 quite satisfying, so probably favouring Barbarian/Monk over Wizard/WD.

I also have a Furnace weapon in my stash, but I have no idea if it's still used in Barbarian builds!

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
True, I suppose.

The best part of the anniversary event is just having D1 Tristram music as the town music regardless of what act you are in. I kind of want that to be permanent.

Fonds

What's the state of the current Barbarian, still hitting like a truck? At launch on PC I played Barbarian, then on PS3 switched to DH, and finally settled on Crusader. Going to start a new level 1 character with recent Pro patch and do the Diablo 1 content first, then onwards to 70.

So I might go back to Barbarian for some massacre fun. I find the melee combat in Diablo 3 quite satisfying, so probably favouring Barbarian/Monk over Wizard/WD.

I also have a Furnace weapon in my stash, but I have no idea if it's still used in Barbarian builds!

You can use a furnace in Kanai's cube for the legendary effect, builds have moved on from actually equiping it.

The best part of the anniversary event is just having D1 Tristram music as the town music regardless of what act you are in. I kind of want that to be permanent.

My sentiments exactly.

Agreed. What a fantastic piece of music that is. Truly an incredible achievement in videogame music.

MikeRahl

I need a little bit of advice...

I picked up the PS4 version again after a long time off and I don't really remember what I was doing.

All I know is that I was able to go into a 24 Grift solo and everything seemed to die in a relatively short amount of time with my Crusader so that was pretty fun! I did notice I had a Level 22 Gem of Ease so I got that up to 25... From what I know that means that I can put that Gem into whatever and I can use it to run some other characters up to 70 pretty easy.

So two questions...

1.) What is a great weapon to powerlevel a bunch of classes solo to level 70 using a gem of ease

2.) What is the Cube of Kanai, how can I get it and what's a good use of it?

This is my first time doing a season since like... 4? It's been a while. Sadly I missed out on a lot of stash tabs it seems :(

I like the season journey aspect. Having goals like that which reward you with items guaranteed to push you much further is a great idea. This was my first time playing monk and I already had a completed set on the first day after reaching level 70. Now I'm pushing into Torment 7 trying to get some more fun items. So far I really like the class.

Can I get those set items if I make a Demon Hunter and complete the season journey on that character as well?

Fonds

I need a little bit of advice...

I picked up the PS4 version again after a long time off and I don't really remember what I was doing.

All I know is that I was able to go into a 24 Grift solo and everything seemed to die in a relatively short amount of time with my Crusader so that was pretty fun! I did notice I had a Level 22 Gem of Ease so I got that up to 25... From what I know that means that I can put that Gem into whatever and I can use it to run some other characters up to 70 pretty easy.

So two questions...

1.) What is a great weapon to powerlevel a bunch of classes solo to level 70 using a gem of ease

2.) What is the Cube of Kanai, how can I get it and what's a good use of it?

Welcome back! This OT is for the PC version of the game, there is also a console OT right here

As far as your questions go, things are relatively the same on console and PC so:

1.) You can use pretty much any weapon that can be used by all classes. Just stay away from class specific weapons and you should be good. A weapon that has rolled ancient (a version of a weapon with higher stats) has the preference. Include a decent legendary proc and that's pretty much it.

2.) Kanai's cube is a crafting system that allows you to augment items. Either change rares into legendaries, set items into other set items pieces of the same set, reroll legendary stats etc.
You can start the quest for it at Zoltan Kulle, it can be found in the ruins of secheron (act 3).
All recipies are also explained ingame.

Wallach

This is my first time doing a season since like... 4? It's been a while. Sadly I missed out on a lot of stash tabs it seems :(

I like the season journey aspect. Having goals like that which reward you with items guaranteed to push you much further is a great idea. This was my first time playing monk and I already had a completed set on the first day after reaching level 70. Now I'm pushing into Torment 7 trying to get some more fun items. So far I really like the class.

Can I get those set items if I make a Demon Hunter and complete the season journey on that character as well?

No, you can only get Haedrig's Gift once per season, so you won't get any free set items on your next character.

LogicStep

So the last time I played this game it was around season 1 going by what my history says. Did I miss anything cool in particular? I'm guessing each season brings cool little things like wings and pets I'm guessing?

I started a Wizard for season 9 and I'm having fun melting faces. Right now I'm at lvl 68 just doing bounties. Is that all there is to do? Bounties and Rifts? How have rifts changed since they were first introduced?

Also, what's the GAF guild? What do you guys do together?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So over the weekend I rebirthed my Crusader and leveled him to 70, and then worked my way through the chapters until I got all six pcs of the Invoker set. Until that moment I had been using a hodgepodge of a justice/blessed hammer build that was doing pretty good, but seemed to top out around GR21 or so. I had all greens and legendaries already, but with the 6-pc Invoker I decided to try out a thorns oriented build. I'd never bothered with a thorns anything in D3 before, it always seemed like a crap stat to me.

So I changed to a punish/bombard build, with steed, ancients, and a law plus ironskin. I changed out the emerald in my weapon to a topaz, because hey why not? After it all I had something like 80,000 thorns damage. I went into a regular rift at T3 just to see how this build fared, and HOLY MOTHER OF GOD everything just dies around my feet! I'm liking a walking wrecking ball!!! I climbed all the way up to GR31 where my build became something of a glass cannon, still killing quickly but I die fast too.

Upon scrutinizing my build, I decided that I needed to trade offense for defense. I changed a few passives to improve survivability, enchanted some pieces to to trade CC and CD for toughness, because as I understand it thorns doesn't benefit from either CC or CD. I've never purposeful shunned crit anything before in D3 but MAN did that feel refreshing! Found myself an Aquilla Curiass (+50% def with full wrath) along the way and decided that since my wrath was never going empty at all, why not use it?

Went back into a GR31 and things went much better, I still kill like a force of nature but I am much, much more survivable now. Going to push it tonight to see where I top out at now. My build is far from optimized too, still need a lot of pieces and enchanting, but damn this Invoker Crusader is fun to play!

Baliis

So over the weekend I rebirthed my Crusader and leveled him to 70, and then worked my way through the chapters until I got all six pcs of the Invoker set. Until that moment I had been using a hodgepodge of a justice/blessed hammer build that was doing pretty good, but seemed to top out around GR21 or so. I had all greens and legendaries already, but with the 6-pc Invoker I decided to try out a thorns oriented build. I'd never bothered with a thorns anything in D3 before, it always seemed like a crap stat to me.

So I changed to a punish/bombard build, with steed, ancients, and a law plus ironskin. I changed out the emerald in my weapon to a topaz, because hey why not? After it all I had something like 80,000 thorns damage. I went into a regular rift at T3 just to see how this build fared, and HOLY MOTHER OF GOD everything just dies around my feet! I'm liking a walking wrecking ball!!! I climbed all the way up to GR31 where my build became something of a glass cannon, still killing quickly but I die fast too.

Upon scrutinizing my build, I decided that I needed to trade offense for defense. I changed a few passives to improve survivability, enchanted some pieces to to trade CC and CD for toughness, because as I understand it thorns doesn't benefit from either CC or CD. I've never purposeful shunned crit anything before in D3 but MAN did that feel refreshing! Found myself an Aquilla Curiass (+50% def with full wrath) along the way and decided that since my wrath was never going empty at all, why not use it?

Went back into a GR31 and things went much better, I still kill like a force of nature but I am much, much more survivable now. Going to push it tonight to see where I top out at now. My build is far from optimized too, still need a lot of pieces and enchanting, but damn this Invoker Crusader is fun to play!

Invoker is a pretty fun play style. Since you domt need crit you just stack the hell out of defense and thorns then just go punch shit in the face and never die.

Audioboxer

You can use a furnace in Kanai's cube for the legendary effect, builds have moved on from actually equiping it.

My sentiments exactly.

Ah right cool, what does that mean exactly? Weapon powers can be "transmogged" onto other weapons? Sorry, haven't played D3 properly in ageeees.

Xanathus

The only gaf clan I can find is NeoGAF Overflow, is that the one?

Nah, there is a main clan but it can't be found through searching. Just post your battletag here if you want an invite and make sure you aren't already in a clan. I'm assuming you're on NA servers.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
True, I suppose.

I need to go through it on my Xbox 1 this week. I did it on my PC over the weekend. The things I do for pets...

Am I the only one that loved it?

I mean, maybe it's because I hadn't touched D3 in nearly 5 years but playing it from level 1 was an amazingly nostalgic experience.
The problem for me was that unlocking Adventure Mode meant I had to wade play through another Act of Diablo 3's story.

aravuus

Bought the game some days ago and I've already lost two lvl70 HC season characters lol. Put 20 hours into the first, that one hurt a bit even though I was getting a bit bored of the class already (witch doctor). First one died cause I got cocky and tried running a lvl27GR, second one died because the in-game chat bugged a bit and I wasn't being very cautious.

Got some guys to boost my DH to lvl70, hopefully I'll survive a bit longer now. I'll just take it slow with this one.

Can softcore and hardcore characters play together online? Would be nice to have a softcore backup whenever I feel like having a bit less.. Stressful experience lol.

The Dude

Spent 300 or so hours when ROS dropped, had a blast but been away quite some time now.. Getting back to it with season 9 and I'm having a blast, loving my crusader but really taking me time to get back in the swing of it. I was so used to my original non seasonal and doing anything without a hitch and now rebuilding with so many changes since is a little mountain I have to climb here.

I'm tryin to find a build that simply lets you just plow some early t1 t2 rifts to start farming, have a hammerdin build going atm but obviously I have shit for it.

Although I got a guard od Johanna and what a difference that made in helping my young crusader here. Just enjoying being back tho

LogicStep

Nah, there is a main clan but it can't be found through searching. Just post your battletag here if you want an invite and make sure you aren't already in a clan. I'm assuming you're on NA servers.

LogicStep #1695

So I completed the first 3 chapters of my season thing and the jump for the last one is insane lol. Chapter 3 was doing stuff in Master I think and now it's asking me to do stuff in Torment 4 lol.

Lanrutcon

Spent 300 or so hours when ROS dropped, had a blast but been away quite some time now.. Getting back to it with season 9 and I'm having a blast, loving my crusader but really taking me time to get back in the swing of it. I was so used to my original non seasonal and doing anything without a hitch and now rebuilding with so many changes since is a little mountain I have to climb here.

I'm tryin to find a build that simply lets you just plow some early t1 t2 rifts to start farming, have a hammerdin build going atm but obviously I have shit for it.

Although I got a guard od Johanna and what a difference that made in helping my young crusader here. Just enjoying being back tho

Finish parts 1 to 3 of journey. That gets you 4 pieces of Invoker, which will let you go run around in T1/T2. Check Icy Veins for the starter Crusader Invoker build.

Gamble belts to get a Trove belt. Cube 2h maces (upgrade rare) till you get something useful. Then gamble for your 2 missing set pieces, or ask a friend to help you complete your journey.

With 6 pieces of Invokers you are pretty damn badass.

The Dude

Finish parts 1 to 3 of journey. That gets you 4 pieces of Invoker, which will let you go run around in T1/T2. Check Icy Veins for the starter Crusader Invoker build.

Gamble belts to get a Trove belt. Cube 2h maces (upgrade rare) till you get something useful. Then gamble for your 2 missing set pieces, or ask a friend to help you complete your journey.

Sounds good man, going to give that a try tonight here once I can get playing, thanks!

Lanrutcon

Sounds good man, going to give that a try tonight here once I can get playing, thanks!

I have 6 pieces of Invoker and like, 3 good legendaries (trove belt, aquila armor, dual bombard mace) and I just finished a level 44 greater rift solo. Invokers is stupidly good.

The Dude

I have 6 pieces of Invoker and like, 3 good legendaries (trove belt, aquila armor, dual bombard mace) and I just finished a level 44 greater rift solo. Invokers is stupidly good.

Sounds fun man, I always like knowing what to roll for with kadala... Hate when I don't have a set plan

Lain

Am I the only one that loved it?

I mean, maybe it's because I hadn't touched D3 in nearly 5 years but playing it from level 1 was an amazingly nostalgic experience.
The problem for me was that unlocking Adventure Mode meant I had to wade play through another Act of Diablo 3's story.

I thought the D1 event was nice, for a free thing. There are some cool touches to it.

The Dude

Is there an in game tracker of the journey feats?

Top Bottom