• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT3| Tyrael Looted: {[El'druin]}

Firemind

Did some reading on tips for staying alive in higher GR as barb.

I guess I need good physical resistance on secondary slots if I use Superstition? People also recommend lightning resistance.

I have neither of these. I'm not sure how important they are for doing low 60s solo, but I guess I need better rolled gear.
It depends on if you want to get into the leaderboards or not. Single resistances can go into the 200s on ancient items, which gives a huge survival buff AND damage buff. You don't need allres on gloves, helm, bracers and jewelry so that's a potential 1200 free resistances. You can then forego stuff like Warcry and Taeguk for considerably higher damage boosts (Taeguk's damage boost is minimal).

joesmokey

It depends on if you want to get into the leaderboards or not. Single resistances can go into the 200s on ancient items, which gives a huge survival buff AND damage buff. You don't need allres on gloves, helm, bracers and jewelry so that's a potential 1200 free resistances. You can then forego stuff like Warcry and Taeguk for considerably higher damage boosts (Taeguk's damage boost is minimal).
Main goal is to do better at surviving in group play as HotA in mid-60 GRs. I haven't been in a group with a good healer monk, so that might be one of the major problems. Other barbs in the same group seem to have a bit easier time of surviving than me. Could be not picking the right talents for group play, as my playstyle in solo GR is usually better going.

Dying once usually leads to falling further behind the group, leading to more deaths. Probably not great cohesive group play to begin with.

Edit:
Here's my current barb:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Aeglos7-1318/hero/67382016

I'm testing out switching War Cry with Impunity.

I'm thinking about taking out the %dmg on my Gavel for vit.

eek5

Main goal is to do better at surviving in group play as HotA in mid-60 GRs. I haven't been in a group with a good healer monk, so that might be one of the major problems. Other barbs in the same group seem to have a bit easier time of surviving than me. Could be not picking the right talents for group play, as my playstyle in solo GR is usually better going.

Dying once usually leads to falling further behind the group, leading to more deaths. Probably not great cohesive group play to begin with.

Edit:
Here's my current barb:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Aeglos7-1318/hero/67382016

I'm testing out switching War Cry with Impunity.

I'm thinking about taking out the %dmg on my Gavel for vit.

You need to switch back to taeguks. The idea is to get 70 stacks of taeguk and then carry that the whole rift for the damage mitigation

So with Wall of Death, does firewall self stack differently from the rest of the choices? It seems it's the most popular choice on helltooth builds.

So with Wall of Death, does firewall self stack differently from the rest of the choices? It seems it's the most popular choice on helltooth builds.

Yeh multiple Firewall instances do stack perfectly fine.

Btw., one single firewall can apply it's DOT 2 and I think even 3 times, as the dot is re-applied every time the 4s lasting DOT is gone if the enemy stands in the AOE still/again.

eek5

All the ones with DoT will stack but if you look at what's happening fire wall wins because the wall lasts for 8 seconds but applies a 4 second 1200% DoT which means that if the enemy procs it in the first 4 seconds they'll have a chance to apply the dot a second time after 4 seconds from the same cast. Fire wall is also the easiest to target because you can put it directly on the enemy (this is how your mimics will cast it as well).

All the ring ones have to be offset because the center of the ring does no damage so you have to be on the edge which means your mimics will be throwing away all their WoD casts.

Also note that necrosis procs BoTT so even though there is no CC on firewall itself it's still proccing BoTT so you don't need a CC WoD for BoTT purposes.

JesseZao

This double bounty weekend came in just in time. I have a lull in my schedule atm and I just started playing again. Time to farm those passives!

I've just been running bounties in public rooms on Torment I. Does anyone do bounty runs on a high difficulty? I assume its all about clear times and you only need TI for the bonuses.

Addnan

This double bountie weekend came in just in time. I have a lull in my schedule atm and I just started playing again. Time to farm those passives!

I've just been running bounties in public rooms on Torment I. Does anyone do bounty runs on a high difficulty? I assume its all about clear times and you only need TI for the bonuses.
T7 is best if you can run it.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
As a demon hunter, i'm not sure which of the 6 Bonus set I should get... the one from Natalya or the one from Marauder? Since I can't get both, even with the Ring of Royal Grandeur.

With Custom Engineering, I can get an almost constant 300% damage on my main skills with Marauder bonus, while Natalya has that sweet 30% damage reduction and 400% damage for 5 secs., so it's less constant(although the 2 set bonus can greatly reduce Rain of Vengeance cooldown). Natalya does seem more interesting...

Does the Marauder 6 set bonus also increase the damage from the Sentries that use my skills?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
t2 jumps from 10% chance for leg to 50% so you might as well slog it out in t2

Such a weird decision. It's like they were trying to create annoying secret tips to go into a strategy guide and forgot to make the strategy guide.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Does the Marauder 6 set bonus also increase the damage from the Sentries that use my skills?

i dont believe so. i think its only your personal damage, or if it does, its only on their basic attacks and not their mimics. they are affected by +pet damage, though.

Bisnic

i dont believe so. i think its only your personal damage, or if it does, its only on their basic attacks and not their mimics. they are affected by +pet damage, though.

Oh, didn't know that.
Does that make the +pet damage legendary gem good for demon hunters(especially when you have all of the pets out at once + 3 sentries)? You get so little increase per rank... and the rank 25 bonus is uninteresting since pets never seems to die.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Oh, didn't know that.
Does that make the +pet damage legendary gem good for demon hunters(especially when you have all of the pets out at once + 3 sentries)? You get so little increase per rank... and the rank 25 bonus is uninteresting since pets never seems to die.

i think its only their normal damage though.

http://diablo.somepage.com/popular/items/demon-hunter

as a side note, i think i just realized the Blackthorne set is a reference to their old game Blackthorne.

I'm playing a wiz and I really need a chantwhateveroos wand. I've been spending my bloodahrds on 1h weapons which seems like a scam since I keep getting daggers for an insane 75 a piece. i've tried upgraded rare wands but it never happens and it takes me forever to get 25 breaths to do just 1 upgrade. Am I doing or wrong or something ?

IceMarker

WVDwoFY.jpg

I feel unique.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So, I managed to pick up enough of the "Wastes" set for the 6 piece bonus and holy shit. =O If only I could get the other half of the Bul Kathos weapons....

Nokterian

Our clan really died since the ban wave lmao

Only 5 or 6 at the most are online in EU..since that banwave wiped nearly a lot away a shame though because playing with gaffers is fun. But it sucks even more when people who play hardcore can't play with the regular..makes sense but sucks anyway.

koji

Only 5 or 6 at the most are online in EU..since that banwave wiped nearly a lot away a shame though because playing with gaffers is fun. But it sucks even more when people who play hardcore can't play with the regular..makes sense but sucks anyway.

Yeah the decline in activity started later compared to other seasons but it doesn't look too good atm... Banwave probably had some effect but for the most part it's just people losing interest.

Sucks that we can't team cross gamemodes yeah, understandable but annoying. Should be my own responsibility and choice if I want to play with SC players.

Yeah the decline in activity started later compared to other seasons but it doesn't look too good atm... Banwave probably had some effect but for the most part it's just people losing interest.

Sucks that we can't team cross gamemodes yeah, understandable but annoying. Should be my own responsibility and choice if I want to play with SC players.

Could have SC people carrying HC people though, and it wouldn't be really fair to people doing full HC groups. They could remove the HC leaderboards, but then people who exclusively play HC wouldn't have much reason anymore to play HC in seasons.

And yeah mostly people get bored pretty fast since even casually, after a month or so you generally have accomplished most of your goals unless you're going for leaderboards. Doesn't help that you have nowhere near the stash space to permit people to play several classes during a given season(3 seems doable but any more and it becomes stupid if you keep any sort of side gear and what not), especially now that you want to keep a bunch of gear to reroll for ancients.

They really should do faster seasons. 2months, and alternate content patch(new sets/rework of sets/new features like cube etc) and balance patch(simple number tweaks, unless some mechanical stuff is ready to be patched in). This actually would give them ample time to do new content stuff and they could adjust glaring balance issues more often(sets underperforming because the x% damage isn't high enough and stuff like that). Shorter seasons would also help a bit with the whole farming paragons 16hours a day for 4months difference. Not much, but a bit.

And they should monetize some stuff. At the very least, pets/wings/whatever. Add some ingame way to get the items if you're affraid people will cry because the pay 2 look good is too strong, like time capped currency so botting doesn't give you an advantage, maybe tie it to daillies or whatever with a hots/hs dailly system where you can stock up to 3 if you don't want to log in everyday but still not lose out. This way they can get some money to pay for people to make new stuff more often.

Nokterian

I hope more people from EU come back sure you can accomplish everything in a short time but i am not there yet since i need my ancients and at least try a greater rift 60 solo later on. I laughed pretty hard with some gaffers on mumble while playing that was really fun. Sure you can burn out very fast but i have never been this far in a season last seasons didn't really trigger me to play full hours but now with kanai's cube and seasonal journey this still keeps me motivated to keep playing.

koji

I can't stomach replaying this season having lost out on all that excellent gear and a lot of plvls. A new season will feel like a better start.

Understandable, oh shit, I didn't even think about that, you lost all your plvls as well. Dayyuuum. :-(

Dunfisch

I can't stomach replaying this season having lost out on all that excellent gear and a lot of plvls. A new season will feel like a better start.

Buying it now however beats waiting for a sale whenever S5 comes - and there might not be a sale. You could at least grab the game when the opportunity arises.

Looking back, Blizzard was trolling like hell though. D3 and RoS were both 50% off shortly before the banwave. Real smooth, having the price go back up to normal after the hammer came down.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I hope more people from EU come back sure you can accomplish everything in a short time but i am not there yet since i need my ancients and at least try a greater rift 60 solo later on. I laughed pretty hard with some gaffers on mumble while playing that was really fun. Sure you can burn out very fast but i have never been this far in a season last seasons didn't really trigger me to play full hours but now with kanai's cube and seasonal journey this still keeps me motivated to keep playing.

I'm still very much in (I'm Beru), I just need more time to play... Which thankfully is what I'll have a ton of this weekend!

Buying it now however beats waiting for a sale whenever S5 comes - and there might not be a sale. You could at least grab the game when the opportunity arises.

Looking back, Blizzard was trolling like hell though. D3 and RoS were both 50% off shortly before the banwave. Real smooth, having the price go back up to normal after the hammer came down.

Yeh, dunno. That amazon.uk sale would be ~21€ and a couple more for delivery to Germany so I'll rather wait for now I'd say.

Celegus

I feel unique.

One of these things is not like the others!
RIP your wrist.

Better than not having to pay full price to get back in, I suppose. Can't say I can muster up too much pity for anyone that thought a blatant exploit in a game with competitive leaderboards would be kosher.

Bisnic

I just got this ancient amulet, but i can't decide if I should replace my green amulet for it? (Barbarian here)

QCenrKD.png

Is the +30% in toughness worth it to lose that extra fire damage and crit damage?
My toughness will go up from 24 millions while using Whirlwind to 31 millions, and my damage will go from 705K to 635K.
That green amulet is the only item I got that increase elemental damage.

I'm probably going to replace that reduce cooldown stat to a socket.

If you use a fire skill(fire WW?) then definitely not worth it, unless you're actually dying. Tbh seems weird you'd gain that much toughness just from the vit and a relatively mediocre amount of armor, is your vit really low to begin with? I'd probably work on getting vit somewhere else and wouldn't value armor too high since you get a bunch from armor already(an all resist roll would probably be better even though I'm not too sure how it interacts with ancient).

Regardless though, they seem to be both fairly weak(first one doesn't have a legendary affix and could be ancient, second one is missing a socket AND crit damage to be at least decent, so whatever you reroll you're like 2slots off and the legendary affix is crap I believe due to low proc rate/high cooldown), so you'll replace them eventually, so not a big deal. I'd keep the damage one if you're on SC, by the time you do something that puts a strain on your defenses, you should have found a better one anyway.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I just got this ancient amulet, but i can't decide if I should replace my green amulet for it? (Barbarian here)

QCenrKD.png

Is the +30% in toughness worth it to lose that extra fire damage and crit damage?
My toughness will go up from 24 millions while using Whirlwind to 31 millions, and my damage will go from 705K to 635K.
That green amulet is the only item I got that increase elemental damage.

I'm probably going to replace that reduce cooldown stat to a socket.

I... guess you could use it if you're extremely squishy, but if you have no trouble staying alive, stick with the green one. Amulets should always have at least Crit damage and a socket, and you can't have that on that ancient amulet.

Plus look at the damage you're losing: -10% already if you look at stats, and another -19% if you use fire skills a lot. Sheet DPS doesn't display elemental damage.

In most cases, the ideal amulet should be socket, crit damage, crit chance and whatever elemental damage you want (or, failing that, high int).

Bisnic

If you use a fire skill(fire WW?) then definitely not worth it, unless you're actually dying. Tbh seems weird you'd gain that much toughness just from the vit and a relatively mediocre amount of armor, is your vit really low to begin with? I'd probably work on getting vit somewhere else and wouldn't value armor too high since you get a bunch from armor already(an all resist roll would probably be better even though I'm not too sure how it interacts with ancient).

Regardless though, they seem to be both fairly weak, so you'll replace them eventually, so not a big deal. I'd keep the damage one if you're on SC, by the time you do something that puts a strain on your defenses, you should have found a better one anyway.

Yeah, i got almost 2x as much strength(9000) as vitality(4600) with the green amulet.

And no, i'm not really dying so far(thanks to Whirlwind giving me 40% damage reduction), so that extra toughness isn't really necessary, although it's just T7 I'm doing.

What does SC mean?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Yeah, i got almost 2x as much strength(9000) as vitality(4600) with the green amulet.

And no, i'm not really dying so far(thanks to Whirlwind giving me 40% damage reduction), so that extra toughness isn't really necessary, although it's just T7 I'm doing.

What does SC mean?

Then green it is.
SC = softcore. As opposed to hardcore, where death is permanent. Hardcore builds tend to focus more on survivability, for obvious reasons.

haha .... Im gonna need to do some soul farming after this weekend. at 50 a pop for a re-roll I can only do about 20 right now.

I'm gonna need DB's too

and my WD needs to be stronk

Top Bottom