• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT3| Tyrael Looted: {[El'druin]}

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I didn't even realise you could spend those on gear. I feel like I got a bunch last night when some random I matched with took us into the vault dungeon. Maybe it was another currency I picked up though.

You have to speak to Kadala to spend those shards. She's in every towns, usually not far from the Rifts pillar.

Ayumi

I didn't even realise you could spend those on gear. I feel like I got a bunch last night when some random I matched with took us into the vault dungeon. Maybe it was another currency I picked up though.
Just remember that they have an inventory cap (which increases with GR levels) so you should keep track of them. You can hover over them in your inventory to see how much space is left.

One other question. When I set my game to public it lets you add a tag tell people what you're doing, i.e bounties. Which suggests there's a way to browse public games. I can't figure out how to do this though. Is there a server browser option on PC to look for people running rifts for instance?
It's easier to go to Communities and search. Then you ask in the chat. If you just open your game to public you will often get a bunch of people with weird intentions, either leeching or idling in town. It's not very organized that way.

DnbRVig.jpg

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Just remember that they have an inventory cap (which increases with Paragon Levels) so you should keep track of them. You can hover over them in your inventory to see how much space is left.

The blood shard cap doesn't increase with paragons. It increases with greater rift level. The higher level GR you achieved, the higher your cap is.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
GR are the focus on end-game, as it's the only way to get on the ladder. Either solo, 2P, 3P or 4P. Unfortunately there's no super boss or any kinda play like that. 99% of the loot is completely random drops. GR are Greater Rifts which are a more "competitive" version of normal rifts (both in Adventure Mode) but also is the fastest way to get loot. Then you can do bounties to get materials you need for various crafting/gear upgrades and such. The end-game is pretty repetitive. I hope they add raids, or boss fights/dungeons in D4. lol

Interesting. I half wonder if I shouldn't just play Marvel Heroes more since that offers raids and dungeons and such. It's just disappointing since D3 just plays better...But I don't feel like running GR until forever. :/

Ayumi

Interesting. I half wonder if I shouldn't just play Marvel Heroes more since that offers raids and dungeons and such. It's just disappointing since D3 just plays better...But I don't feel like running GR until forever. :/

But Diablo 3 is bae! It does get repetitive, but there are various challenges in-game now (like set dungeons which requires gearing up several classes). Rift *is* what end-game D3 is, and it's not something one can keep doing forever. Maybe you can play Marvel Heroes between the bore-times of D3. lol But honestly I can't really do two seasons after each other because of what things are like. But then again I've played this game on and off since launch so I've been burned out for years. The Necro made it a lot fun again for me though.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

nobody raids in MH and the "dungeons" are just Rifts

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
nobody raids in MH and the "dungeons" are just Rifts

Ah - so is that part of the game dead now? That's too bad since I loved the concept. The thing I liked about the dungeons/rifts in MH were that they at least felt varied due to the locations that the Marvel universe went to. Cities, caves, factories, snow fields, etc.

But Diablo 3 is bae! It does get repetitive, but there are various challenges in-game now (like set dungeons which requires gearing up several classes). Rift *is* what end-game D3 is, and it's not something one can keep doing forever. Maybe you can play Marvel Heroes between the bore-times of D3. lol But honestly I can't really do two seasons after each other because of what things are like. But then again I've played this game on and off since launch so I've been burned out for years. The Necro made it a lot fun again for me though.

The last time I played even a LITTLE seriously was somewhere after they pulled the original difficulties and made them all MP. The upgrade is only $10, so I'll probably grab that. The Necro being $15 isn't really THAT bad, and since everyone is going ham with him right now, I may grab it just to join the fray. Thanks to Icy Veins being a thing now, I can at least get some easier help with builds and gearing. Before, it was....Not like that. Pre-loot 2.0 was tough, so my life will be very different now.

I'll give a shot. Worst case, I'm out $10-25 and a couple hours of fun.

Bisnic

Ah - so is that part of the game dead now? That's too bad since I loved the concept. The thing I liked about the dungeons/rifts in MH were that they at least felt varied due to the locations that the Marvel universe went to. Cities, caves, factories, snow fields, etc.

If that's what you liked, then GRs are varied too, since their locations are always randomized. One floor can be a forest and the next one will be a hellish zone and the 3rd one snowy ruins. :p

IceMarker

Speaking of Rifts, I LOVE getting the new Temple of the Firstborn tileset, one of the best, gritty, areas in the game now (although it's a bit sparse on monster density).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
If that's what you liked, then GRs are varied too, since their locations are always randomized. One floor can be a forest and the next one will be a hellish zone and the 3rd one snowy ruins. :p

That's good to know. That's one thing I do like about it.

Do GRs have traits or modifiers that make them unique? Like POE maps?

definitely not, that game is dead and there are 2 raids and the "dungeons" are just short levels with minor randomized patterns.

Bisnic

That's good to know. That's one thing I do like about it.

Do GRs have traits or modifiers that make them unique? Like POE maps?

Not really. You choose their difficulty, which only increase health & damage of enemies, but that's about it. Other than that, it's basically randomized maps with a higher number of monsters & higher chance of legendaries(for normal rifts) than when playing the campaign or bounties. You only get loot by killing the last boss when doing GRs, but you can get like 6 legendaries at once on higher GRs.

GRs also allows you to lvl up special jewelry gems with modifiers such as "improve damage by X% when enemies are affected by movement impairing effects", with another extra bonus when they're at rank 25.

Sanctuary

yeah the CC ring dont work on them so you bsically want to skip those packs at higher grifts

think I am officially taking a break until the season starts, and if nothing changes until then, I'll go Inarius because, well not only is it vastly superior numbers wise, it's actually pretty fun to play as well so theres that. At least Necro wise, no idea if Ill play another class also.

I just hit GR70 and will probably take a break until the new season too. I also cannot believe how utterly faceroll Inarius is until maybe GR60. There's really nothing to it aside from avoiding specifically nasty elite ability mixes. There's a huge discrepancy in the sets, but both the Rathma and Trang's can get to the higher GRs, maybe just not as ultimately high as Inarius. Pestilence though; what's up with that garbage?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Bought ROS and the Necro DLC. Got a PL to get all classes to 70, so now I can start testing them out and seeing what I like. Is Ivy-Veins the best place to check builds out, or are there better places out there?

Ayumi

Did a solo 78 yesterday or the day before. Miiiight be able to push 80 but I doubt it because I don't have Krysbin yet so I can't seem to output enough damage in time. My survivability is pretty good though.

Spent 1k+ DBs and thousands of shards to get Krysbin but nope. Gotten every single ring in-game instead. As ancient. Orz.

Magnus

I haven't really played since BEFORE Loot 2.0. (dabbled for like 30 mins as a Crusader a few months ago)

Man, the game has changed a bunch. Lack of an AH really fucking helps things feel better. I'm actually USING gear that drops, amazing.

Necromancer is legit. Corpse Explosion is so fun.

Did these bonuses exist before, the ones that reward you with speed increases and exp increases when you chain lots of kills back to back?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Finally got a Krysbin and a Nailuj. And, to top it off, I rerolled my Jesseth Scythe ONCE and it became a 2.9k dps ancient scythe :D.

Starting to wreck fools with my Trag'Oul build now, but it's taking a bit of getting used to in terms of resource management, bone armor uptime and skelly mage uptime. Also, I'm disappointed in the squishiness of that build. Starting a GR70 is brutal, between the skeletons who are slow as hell to spawn, and the enemies who pretty much one shot me, I don't know what to do.

Any advice?

Ayumi

Any advice?
Use Inarius instead. :p High survivability, lots of passive skills/running around while shit melts. Technically capable of going way higher than Trags + is the #1 meta build.

I'm sure someone can give better advice if you wanna stick with Trags though.

Radec

I've gotten like 6 primals since the start of necro patch. 2 were useful, sucks that the other 2h Scythe isn't for my build.

- -

Anyone wanna try DH/Necro exploit in high GR? lol

Its sever all over again.

Ultratech

Did these bonuses exist before, the ones that reward you with speed increases and exp increases when you chain lots of kills back to back?

Those got added a few patches ago.

Previously, they were only on Consoles, then they got added to the PC version.

So Challenge Rifts: Do they work like normal rifts? You have to kill a certain amount of enemies? And the blue tokens that drop give you a portion of the completion?

Ayumi

So Challenge Rifts: Do they work like normal rifts? You have to kill a certain amount of enemies? And the blue tokens that drop give you a portion of the completion?
They're Greater Rifts but with a "time to beat" timer.

They're lame and feel very "meh". Gonna need better rewards and such for them to become interesting.

They're Greater Rifts but with a "time to beat" timer.

They're lame and feel very "meh". Gonna need better rewards and such for them to become interesting.

Do I have to do Challenge Rifts to get the good stuff like the Necromancer armor sets? I did one earlier and it was okay. But I wasn't a big fan of the time limit.

Ayumi

Do I have to do Challenge Rifts to get the good stuff like the Necromancer armor sets? I did one earlier and it was okay. But I wasn't a big fan of the time limit.
Challenge Rifts only rewards a bounty bag per week with some materials/blood shards. The best way to get new gear is to run Greater Rifts (either by yourself or with someone else). The higher the more loot. All loot is random drop though. You can also do normal Rifts but they don't have as much gear loot as GR.

Challenge Rifts only rewards a bounty bag per week with some materials/blood shards. The best way to get new gear is to run Greater Rifts (either by yourself or with someone else). The higher the more loot. All loot is random drop though. You can also do normal Rifts but they don't have as much gear loot as GR.

I finally started doing some GR's on my non-seasonal characters. Cleared my first GR50 and got like 4 Set Pieces and 3 Legendaries. GR's at high levels just rain loot.

Ayumi

I finally started doing some GR's on my non-seasonal characters. Cleared my first GR50 and got like 4 Set Pieces and 3 Legendaries. GR's at high levels just rain loot.
Yup! I usually farm gear at GR65 since it's comfortably fast, so you don't even have to go super high unless you're leveling gems.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
So i did the challenge rift but didn't get a reward? Where is it supposed to show up?

When you get in a normal game with one of your characters, you'll see an envelope icon in the bottom left corner. Click it.

Note that you need to beat the challenge rift under the time limit in order to get the reward.

Xanathus

Just realized that since the Challenge Rifts are taken from a random player's rift run that means we are going to be seeing a lot of Necromancer challenge rifts in the coming weeks.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
necromancer is pretty fun.

id be lying if i didn't say half the reason i bought was for the stash tabs...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so apparently Travis Day popped up on a stream and talked some Necro bugs, some of which confirm things myself and probably many of us have noticed.

Fueled by Death passive is bugged, and I tried it once and my guy wasnt moving faster at all so I thought "well this talent is shit"

Pets are dying way too fast (something ive said myself on this very thread), its very easy to notice when you get in the 70s GR especially with Rathma and you constantly are down to 2-3 skellies :/ (might not be benifiting from enforcer maybe)

There's also a bug with the OP CC ring but I cant quite understand what he meant

Just realized that since the Challenge Rifts are taken from a random player's rift run that means we are going to be seeing a lot of Necromancer challenge rifts in the coming weeks.

Hopefully they have a system in place to help combat that. Even something simple like it picks a random class and then picks a run from that particular class rather then from the entire pool should reduce the number of repeated Necros.

scoobs

so apparently Travis Day popped up on a stream and talked some Necro bugs, some of which confirm things myself and probably many of us have noticed.

Fueled by Death passive is bugged, and I tried it once and my guy wasnt moving faster at all so I thought "well this talent is shit"

Pets are dying way too fast (something ive said myself on this very thread), its very easy to notice when you get in the 70s GR especially with Rathma and you constantly are down to 2-3 skellies :/ (might not be benifiting from enforcer maybe)

There's also a bug with the OP CC ring but I cant quite understand what he meant

They talk about how they're going to buff the non-bone armor sets at all? Or nerf bone armor? Cuz necro only has one viable build and its super lame.

Rhaknar

Krysbin's is only supposed to work for necros but rn works for all classes, or so I've heard

I thought that was the bug, but I read the item and it doesnt say anything about being necro specific?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I thought that was the bug, but I read the item and it doesnt say anything about being necro specific?

Yeah, that's what I find weird. I get that it came out at the same time as the necro, and it obviously hugely benefits him, but why are people acting like it's supposed to be necro-only? As far as I know, it's working as intended. Increased damaged on debuffed enemies isn't a first in Diablo 3.

Heck, are there even any rings that can't be worn by every class?

But maybe Blizzard's intent was to have it be necro-specific? Have they said anything to that effect? In that case, they'll probably rework it so it's limited to cursed enemies or something.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
It does seem odd that the rewards for their newest feature are so flimsy.

I haven't tried this week's challenge rift, but at the same time, if last week's is any indication, the rewards are... adequate, to me. Certainly enough for me to give them a try every now and then. The challenge rifts aren't especially difficult and don't take much time, much like a one-act bounty run.

Dunfisch

The Krysbin's Ring currently works with all classes, which is extremely overpowered if you can put any form of large AoE crowd control on enemies, since then they'll take a whopping 300% extra damage multiplier. I didn't try it for myself, but it's easy to imagine examples. I got a Uliana Monk and I freeze everything around me with my generator - now those frozen mobs will get wrecked thanks to the insane multiplier.

As for your skeletons dying, that's an issue with their life mechanic. Outside of straight up hitpoints, skellies die after 21-24 hits or thereabouts, regardless of damage received. Certain mobs can rack up a lot of hits real quick, so your guys get shredded. Supposedly it's so that the 2 seconds spawn timer per skeleton gets some actual use, but meh. Nothing you can do about it, really. Enforcer gem doesn't change a thing.

Rhaknar

Pets dying just because they respawn relatively fast would be the dumbest thing ever in a pet build.

Like I said in 70+s (I was stuck at 72 with Rathma) I constantly only had 2-3 skellies up if that.

Top Bottom