• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT3| Tyrael Looted: {[El'druin]}

Dahbomb

Chance for Area Damage
You should've kept that and rolled the attack speed into %damage. That 5% attack speed isn't going to be as much of an impact as the area damage. Especially for the generator build which doesn't have tremendous AOE capability to begin with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydMEhQaULu4

^^ Video on why area damage is amazing.

Note that area damage doesn't work with a lot of skills so make sure you check before putting that on any piece of your gear. But AD does work with Monk generators so it's good to have it.

Shouta

You should've kept that and rolled the attack speed into %damage. That 5% attack speed isn't going to be as much of an impact as the area damage. Especially for the generator build which doesn't have tremendous AOE capability to begin with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydMEhQaULu4

^^ Video on why area damage is amazing.

Note that area damage doesn't work with a lot of skills so make sure you check before putting that on any piece of your gear. But AD does work with Monk generators so it's good to have it.

I use Deadly Reach: Scattered Blows as my primary attack actually so I don't have an issue with AOE at all. I don't even have to use Cyclone in my build though I do because it procs Restrain + Focus and it's cheaper than the other options, lol.

I also use Uliana's 2 piece set bonus to supplement it to make it quicker.

Dahbomb

The thing about area damage is that it's EVEN better if you have AOE.

Crazy I know but it's true.

Then again I am not even sure if area damage would work with Scattered Blows, IIRC that's one of those weird generators as well.

Shouta

Well, Scattered Blows is stupid good and the 3rd hit procs Exploding Palm for every exploding bulb that hits. It probably does get affected by Area Damage. I have 68% without the one on the Fist of Legend so it's probably helping me destroy groups without Cyclone.

Donos

Need help (PS4). I have all 4 organs from the infernal machine portals and bought the plans for the hellfire ring. Now i see the rings at the smith but it shows that he requires three strange materials which i don't seem to have. Thought the 4 organs (idol of terror, heart of evil, leorics regret, vial of putridness) are all i need. Skimmed through dozens of guides but no clue what to do.

Edit: ok, had to scroll down and there is a "hellfire Ring" i can craft. All other Hellfire rings with "of strength", "of intelligence" etc are not craftable and show the three strange materials. What is this about?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Just how much Toughness, armor and elemental resistance does a Demon Hunter needs dammit? I just tried soloing GR34 and almost everything kills me in less than 2 secs. I died so much in there that I couldn't beat the timer. I really wonder how you guys can do GRs up to 60, I know my gear is far from optimal and is missing lots of "Ancient", but man...

I'm really tempted to use the legendary gem with non-physical damage reduction instead of one of my offensive gems.

ptvh8Vd.png

Most of that recovery comes from the Leech skill. Should i change it to Perfectionist or maybe Awareness instead? I already got Numbing Traps from my Hellfire Amulet to reduce enemy damage by 25% hitted by my sentries, but that's still not enough =/

Bisnic

post link to your profile. 35 should be a cake walk with bad set items..

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Bisnic-1187/hero/65691413

Profile can't seem to update since this morning, I changed Archery to Steady Aim and the 3 wolves cube power to the one that improves gem socketed on helm by 100%, to get that extra bit of life. Haven't been really lucky with good cube powers to extract...

And I know I need to change my shoulders because i'm not even using Fan of Knives, but again, no luck on that side to get another Marauder...

ZenaxPure

Profile can't seem to update since this morning, I changed Archery to Steady Aim and the 3 wolves cube power to the one that improves gem socketed on helm by 100%, to get that extra bit of life. Haven't been really lucky with good cube powers to extract...

And I know I need to change my shoulders because i'm not even using Fan of Knives, but again, no luck on that side to get another Marauder...

There is a lot of stuff you need to change, I'd honestly suggest just looking at the demon hunter leaderboards and looking at the gear/skills all the top people are using. That is pretty much the cookie cutter Nats build.

As for why you are dying a lot though you have neither of the damage reduction items for Demon Hunter (wraps of clarity bracers and unity). Those are more important than any sort of arbitrary armor/resist numbers.

Well you don't have any damage reduction, so that's probably your issue. Most builds work at high GRs nowadays because the sets have strong built in defenses. Marauder is an old set and doesn't have it(they're fixing the old sets next patch), but notice how Natalya gives 30% with the 6pc. Then you also pretty much NEED Wraps of Clarity, DH bracers that give 30-35% damage reduction when you use a primary hatred generator. With both these, you get ~50% dmg reduction(a bit less if you go for Unhallowed Essence instead of Natalya) and that makes a huge diff.

Gamble bracers, and finish either Natalya or UE. Marauder atm can't really be used efficiently past torment 7-8 or so. Maybe more but it'd be really annoying.

Bisnic

Well you don't have any damage reduction, so that's probably your issue. Most builds work at high GRs nowadays because the sets have strong built in defenses. Marauder is an old set and doesn't have it(they're fixing the old sets next patch), but notice how Natalya gives 30% with the 6pc. Then you also pretty much NEED Wraps of Clarity, DH bracers that give 30-35% damage reduction when you use a primary hatred generator. With both these, you get ~50% dmg reduction(a bit less if you go for Unhallowed Essence instead of Natalya) and that makes a huge diff.

Gamble bracers, and finish either Natalya or UE. Marauder atm can't really be used efficiently past torment 7-8 or so. Maybe more but it'd be really annoying.

I already got the 6pc of Natalya thanks to the ring of royal grandeur used with the cube. I'm mostly using my pieces of Marauder for that 4pc bonus. With Custom Engineering and Bombardier Rucksack that I just got, that's 5 sentries shooting Elemental Arrows at once, it's fun.

But yeah, i'll try getting that bracers next. Then Calamity. Guess I should get rid of those 2 diamonds i got for more emeralds?

I already got the 6pc of Natalya thanks to the ring of royal grandeur used with the cube. I'm mostly using my pieces of Marauder for that 4pc bonus. With Custom Engineering and Bombardier Rucksack that I just got, that's 5 sentries shooting Elemental Arrows at once, it's fun.

But yeah, i'll try getting that bracers next. Then Calamity. Guess I should get rid of those 2 diamonds i got for more emeralds?

You can convert some other gems into emeralds with the cube so yeah on that.

As for the rest, if you want to progress to relatively high GR, you kinda have to go with what's most efficient rather than what's fun(I mean it can be fun too, but you can't just use whatever). There's some small room for personalization in skills and such up to around 55-60, but the higher you go, the more efficient you have to be.

In terms of what you're using, generally you want actual 6pieces of natalya, not 5pc+rorg, so you free the cube slot, so you can cube convention of elements or unity, so you have 2 free ring slots, so you can use Focus+Restraint. F+R is a massive damage boost(it more than doubles your damage with a +125%dmg boost). You'd also want Crashing Rain, the rain of vengeance belt, so your rain of vengeance does high damage everytime you cast it. Then Calamity as you said, that's 20% more. Finally generally people go for hexing pants of yan for armor cube slot and use strafe to constantly move around while recharging rain of vengeance, adds 25% damage and makes managing ressources easier. Can be done without strafe too, just need to stutterstep constantly.

taybul

Did Ramaladni's Gift just fall off the map in 2.3? There's an Ancient I really want to poke a hole through but I've always had a rule to have at least one in stock just in case and I realized I hadn't seen one in 2.3. Did they make them more rare in this patch?

Jedi2016

Did Ramaladni's Gift just fall off the map in 2.3? There's an Ancient I really want to poke a hole through but I've always had a rule to have at least one in stock just in case and I realized I hadn't seen one in 2.3. Did they make them more rare in this patch?
I think I've gotten one or two since the patch dropped, but I haven't played for a few weeks. They were never plentiful, I think I only have five or six in the bank, I've never used one.

Celegus

I've still only gotten 3 and I'm over 600 paragon. Pretty frustrating to just keep banking good weapons because I don't have a gift.

I got one the first week the patch was out as a fresh 70, and since then I have gotten 2 other characters to 70 and paragoned solo up to ~250, and haven't seen another. It's really frustrating because I could definitely use 1-2 of them. Have items that would be amazing with a free socket.

Very high drop rate for my wiz. My only ancient piece is my wand and all my other gear is shitty regular... yet I've found 13 gifts so far...

Dahbomb

Gonna be playing again after a long hiatus per usual. What's the top class right now?
Monk is the best. Has the most top end build options for solo pushing, DPS option in group (trash clearing and even single target) and support option in groups.

IMO right now it's Monk > Barb > WD in the top tier.

Wizard in next tier, can do pretty high solo but not really used in group play.

Demon Hunter and Crusader are bottom 2 at the moment though DH is better than Crusader.

VoxPop

I guess I'll go WD since two of my friends are monk and barb. They're currently stuck at 41 GRs so maybe I can catch up within the week.

Dreavus

I got one the first week the patch was out as a fresh 70, and since then I have gotten 2 other characters to 70 and paragoned solo up to ~250, and haven't seen another. It's really frustrating because I could definitely use 1-2 of them. Have items that would be amazing with a free socket.

I'm sitting at paragon 431 and have only seen two (which dropped pretty early on), I think the only one I got last season was given to me by a friend.

Man... Finally:

bfKwqDY.jpg

I certainly don't want to do all of that again. Bounties are a serious problem with this game... Instead of improving them they further forced them on us.

Xanathus

Can I get more advice on how to do GR60 solo with my HOTA barb?
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/xanathus-6279/hero/65478691
edit: ignore the skills and cube power section, it isn't updated yet on the page. My skills and powers are the same as the one in the guide below

I'm using HOTA gear because the game keeps giving me ancient pieces for that build and none for the WW build. My problem is that it feels like I don't have enough toughness/armor/resistance for the normal enemies. Even with all my buffs up and in Berserker I still take too much damage and barely survive, and the moment elites show up then it's impossible to survive.

I'm using this guide as a reference and it feels like I should be able to do 60 with all my ancient pieces and gear but it's just not working.
http://www.diablofans.com/builds/57514-2-3-hota-barb-solo-60

Nokterian

Man... Finally:

bfKwqDY.jpg

I certainly don't want to do all of that again. Bounties are a serious problem with this game... Instead of improving them they further forced them on us.

Congrats!

Anyone from EU wanna do a rift in 2 min in torment x? I need that second conquest.

eek5

Damn leveling is fast. I'm 70 and paragon 12 now :p

Time to gear up in T1 for now!

GR41 is nothing. Just run with me for a couple of hrs and I can get you into GR50s easily. My WD is pretty much maxed out on all 3 specs so you' dget a ton of loot shared drops lol

ZenaxPure

Can I get more advice on how to do GR60 solo with my HOTA barb?

No LPFS on your weapon. Really can't stress how important it is for solo HoTA. LPFS on your weapon and your belt is an easy 200k HP or so per second from your HoTA/Shout spam. With your gear you shouldn't really have a ton of trouble surviving GR60, especially since you are doubling down on defensive skills (Taeguk/Superstition, neither of which I personally ran when I was going for GR60 since it felt like overkill).

Xanathus

No LPFS on your weapon. Really can't stress how important it is for solo HoTA. LPFS on your weapon and your belt is an easy 200k HP or so per second from your HoTA/Shout spam. With your gear you shouldn't really have a ton of trouble surviving GR60, especially since you are doubling down on defensive skills (Taeguk/Superstition, neither of which I personally ran when I was going for GR60 since it felt like overkill).

That's what I was thinking but I was actually using Bloodthirst passive as well since I was lacking the LPFS on weapon but that isn't enough. I feel the problem isn't healing the damage but actually reducing the damage, I feel like I shouldn't be getting damaged as much in the first place. I'm wondering if there's something major I'm missing that's causing me to take so much damage, as if I wasn't using the Unity combo.

Celegus

That's what I was thinking but I was actually using Bloodthirst passive as well since I was lacking the LPFS on weapon but that isn't enough. I feel the problem isn't healing the damage but actually reducing the damage, I feel like I shouldn't be getting damaged as much in the first place. I'm wondering if there's something major I'm missing that's causing me to take so much damage, as if I wasn't using the Unity combo.

LPFS on a weapon is like twice as much as what you get from Bloodthirst, so it really does help. Hota isn't a super tanky build, hence why it's preferred for groups with a heal monk while Rend seems to do better solo. Still, GR60 shouldn't be too bad with the right setup.

ZenaxPure

LPFS on a weapon is like twice as much as what you get from Bloodthirst, so it really does help.

Yeah pretty much, it's a huge healing increase.

TBH It's extremely reminiscent of vanilla D3 healing with life steal. Your HP is constantly going up and down and it looks like you are going to die all the time but the reality is you are healing so much HP per second that you're fine as long as you aren't standing in shit. Battle Rage and HoTA will each heal for around 40-60k HP (assuming you have LPFS on belt and weapon) and you can use both at the same time multiple times per second, it adds up very fast.

Like Celegus said it's not a very tanky build (probably the least tanky barb build mostly because you have to stand still to attack) so healing is that much more important.

Bisnic

Is it worth it to use Area Damage with Paragon points? I keep hearing how this stat is still bugged or not working as intended. Would those points be better used into Life on Hit?

VoxPop

GR41 is nothing. Just run with me for a couple of hrs and I can get you into GR50s easily. My WD is pretty much maxed out on all 3 specs so you' dget a ton of loot shared drops lol

I ended up making a monk this time around. Yeah I'm stuck trying to gear on T1 hahah. Hoping to go fully into my D3 tunnel vision and be clearing GR70s by the end of the week :)

Nokterian

Finally got Del'Rasha complete expect the braces i need it for those twisters to pull them into the slow time bubble but for now what a lot of fun this is!

Top Bottom