• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT3| Tyrael Looted: {[El'druin]}

Dahbomb

I think the hardest part about the story is the final boss of Act V especially for Melee classes. I remember having to tone the difficulty when I first got to him.

eek5

His cloud in the third? phase of the fight is pretty dangerous for all classes. Especially if your EHP is lowish. It doesn't help that he'll cutscene you and then spawn one on top of you which you can't avoid to start one of the phases of the fight.

He also does a range/reflect/invulnerability move that can really destroy glass cannon builds if you aren't paying attention.

I remember having a pretty GG char when RoS first dropped and I finally had to lower the difficulty around 67 but that was before they buffed drops a couple times. Playing through it now you could end up with a good leg drop that basically makes it possible for you to smash through to 70 (outside of bosses maybe)

ZenaxPure

I remember having a pretty GG char when RoS first dropped and I finally had to lower the difficulty around 67 but that was before they buffed drops a couple times. Playing through it now you could end up with a good leg drop that basically makes it possible for you to smash through to 70 (outside of bosses maybe)

I don't think I actually saw a single legendary drop during my entire time in Act V.

Baliis

His cloud in the third? phase of the fight is pretty dangerous for all classes. Especially if your EHP is lowish. It doesn't help that he'll cutscene you and then spawn one on top of you which you can't avoid to start one of the phases of the fight.

He also does a range/reflect/invulnerability move that can really destroy glass cannon builds if you aren't paying attention.

I able to stay on T1 all the way through my first play through, but everything from battering ram onwards was pretty brutal.

so I beat the story and have no idea what to do now. Got a lvl 40ish crusader and am just doing adventure mode on master. not sure if that's the best way but have no real idea of what I should be doing except getting to 70

Baliis

so I beat the story and have no idea what to do now. Got a lvl 40ish crusader and am just doing adventure mode on master. not sure if that's the best way but have no real idea of what I should be doing except getting to 70

Just do whatever you want really till 70, then you wanna push for T1 asap so you can start getting set pieces to drop

I'm over trying to min max my way past GR61 / 60 on my monk / WD. I rolled a HC character and will have fun there for a while before I get the urge to be done with season.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Man, that Dashing Strike monk set is just boring to play.

I'm going to play that Exploding Palm/SSS set instead, more fun imo. Lots of "BOOM", if you know what I mean.

Negaduck

On a roll so far. Yesterday used K's Cube to upgrade a bow to legendary and got Yang's recurve on the first one!

And then also got restraint from a Jelly goblin. Just need focus and I can keep this train going.

Also jumped up like 5 grifts from 20-25 because it was easy. Even at grift 25 I still had like 2:30 left. Gonna kick it up even more next time I run it.

It was a good day.

Strider

Man, that Dashing Strike monk set is just boring to play.

I'm going to play that Exploding Palm/SSS set instead, more fun imo. Lots of "BOOM", if you know what I mean.

If it's the Same dashing strike build from season 3 then I agree. I stopped playing for a while after season 2 because I found that so boring and it seemed all monks were heading that way for S3.

But What's the exploding Palm/SSS build? Could you link me a gameplay video or a guide? Wanna see how it looks.

But yea Finally got around to installing D3 on my new PC so I'm looking to jump back in. Sad to see I'm out of the gaf clan but that was expected considering I haven't played since S2. But for now just trying to catch up on changes like the addition of kanai cube. Need to read over the 2.3 patch notes....

ZenaxPure

But What's the exploding Palm/SSS build? Could you link me a gameplay video or a guide? Wanna see how it looks.

Here. It's not the most popular build right now since everyone is doing the dual generator shenlong build but it's still really strong and totally worth rolling with if you want to go that way. I use it on my monk and I like it a lot, just a neat build mechanically since your SSS explodes EPs and if you have a Gungdo Gear it will instantly reapply so each hit from your SSS is exploding then applying an EP.

Bisnic

Here. It's not the most popular build right now since everyone is doing the dual generator shenlong build but it's still really strong and totally worth rolling with if you want to go that way. I use it on my monk and I like it a lot, just a neat build mechanically since your SSS explodes EPs and if you have a Gungdo Gear it will instantly reapply so each hit from your SSS is exploding then applying an EP.

Yeah I know it's not the strongest, but playing GRs at 60-70 isn't my goal at the moment, and seeing all those EPs explode and spreading easily thanks to Gungdo Gear and my generators is a lot more fun for me. There's just something about seeing and hearing 10-15 cold EPs explode at once in a trash group that can't be beaten. ;)

Beside, is that set supposed to be looked at for patch 2.4?

ZenaxPure

Beside, is that set supposed to be looked at for patch 2.4?

The only sets being reworked next patch are ones that haven't kept up with the insane power creep this expansion has had. Uliana probably won't be touched much, doesn't really need it.

For the record though, I wasn't saying Uliana was terrible, it's still a very strong build (can easily clear 60-70 GRs if you have the gear) was just saying it's not as popular right now. I mean technically the dashing strike build is actually still pretty legit too (some dude on non-seasons cleared GR 70 with it) but the dual generator build is the hot new thing on the block since it is only a few weeks old.

Strider

That looks like a more fun version of the wave of light/EP build I was using in Season 2 so yea I'm gonna start trying to build for that. Thanks.

ZenaxPure

That looks like a more fun version of the wave of light/EP build I was using in Season 2 so yea I'm gonna start trying to build for that. Thanks.

Worth pointing out I guess you can only do it effectively on seasons. The monk seasonal item this time is a fist weapon that doubles the amount of hits in SSS, so double the amount of EP explosions you get per SSS use.

Bisnic

Worth pointing out I guess you can only do it effectively on seasons. The monk seasonal item this time is a fist weapon that doubles the amount of hits in SSS, so double the amount of EP explosions you get per SSS use.

I have yet to get the 6 set bonus of that set. So EP explode for every hits SSS does rather than only once per use? Damn, that's better than I thought, especially with the fist weapon and the rune that got 14 seconds cooldown. I got a lot of cooldown reduction on my monk, so I can use that almost every 7 seconds.

Strider

Yea I saw. Gonna try and get a friend to power level me lol

RS4-

I have yet to get the 6 set bonus of that set. So EP explode for every hits SSS does rather than only once per use? Damn, that's better than I thought, especially with the fist weapon and the rune that got 14 seconds cooldown. I got a lot of cooldown reduction on my monk, so I can use that almost every 7 seconds.

get it down to under 3 seconds with flow of eternity or whatever that staff thing is!

But yeah, right now I'm using the Uli-SSS build. I'm missing better shenlong's and unity for the gen build.

Talaysen

I really like the Uliana set because it's a powerful set that doesn't just drop a 800% damage buff or whatever on you. Probably the most creative set they've put out.

Super fun too.

I've always had trouble getting into the Monk, mostly because I'm not really a fan of most of the skills. But the Dashing Strike/Raiment build was pretty fun as I've always enjoyed that particular skill. I still need to spend more time with Uliana and the generator builds.

I've played about 10 hours on the Starter Version so far. I'm impressed with this game — I honestly wasn't expecting much because I'd heard so many bad things about it. They must have fixed a lot of stuff in patches because I haven't had any problems so far. I also never played Diablo 1 or 2, so I don't have the expectations that the long-time fans had. At this point, I think Blizzard has earned my $20. I'm thinking of buying the base game after work today. I'll hold off on the expansion for now.

I have 3 level 13 (max level in the Starter Version) characters. My first was the Barbarian, who I enjoyed. Second was the Wizard, who provided more of a challenge and was fun to play too. Next was the Demon Hunter, who I honestly didn't enjoy at all. She was so much weaker than the Barbarian and Wizard, and really struggled against elite mobs. I stopped playing at level 9 and deleted her. Most recently I just beat Leoric on the Witch Doctor, who might be my favorite character yet. He clears rooms with complete ease — that spider jar move is so cheesy! Plus his dogs help keeps mobs off of me so he has better survivability than the Wizard. I killed Leoric on Hard mode in less than 20 seconds, by far my best yet.

The Monk is the only class I haven't tried yet... but I don't think I will. I read that it's a low damage support class, and that doesn't sound like too much fun to me.

The Monk is the only class I haven't tried yet... but I don't think I will. I read that it's a low damage support class, and that doesn't sound like too much fun to me.

Monk is one of the most powerful classes in the game. Check out Diablo Fans for builds to get a better idea.

Edit: You'll need Reaper of Souls to actually play as any of them.

Baliis

Monk is one of the most powerful classes in the game. Check out Diablo Fans for builds to get a better idea.

Edit: You'll need Reaper of Souls to actually play as any of them.

One of? Monk is absolutely the best class in the game with the current meta. Absolutely mandatory in groups, and they're dominating the leader boards.

Thank you for the helpful link. Is the Monk good from the beginning, or is he dependent on levels and good items? I'm guessing that's the case with the Demon Hunter, who absolutely sucked compared to the other 3 classes I've tried.

They can be extremely good while leveling if you play them right, especially since EP will dominate everything while leveling. Other classes might be better at low levels, but really 70 with your 6 piece is the only place that matters since you can get there in days with any class.

Thank you for the helpful link. Is the Monk good from the beginning, or is he dependent on levels and good items? I'm guessing that's the case with the Demon Hunter, who absolutely sucked compared to the other 3 classes I've tried.

I feel like all of the classes are equal for just going through the story mode. You just need to find a play style that suits you. Items only matter for Adventure Mode, which is part of Reaper of Souls. I suppose they would also matter with doing the story in higher difficulties but not as much as doing high Torment levels and Greater Rifts, both part of Reaper of Souls.

joesmokey

Just to add to this, Blizzard changes class balance every patch. Patch 2.3 is the turn for mostly Monks, WDs, and Barbs. Other classes are viable and worth checking out for solo play, but are less desirable for groups.

Make sure the info you read is current for the latest patch.

Baliis

Just to add to this, Blizzard changes class balance every patch. Patch 2.3 is the turn for mostly Monks, WDs, and Barbs. Other classes are viable and worth checking out for solo play, but are less desirable for groups.

Wiz is also really good this season, they just require a lot more optimization in how you play and rift fishing, but they're having in there. It's only really DH and sader this season that are lagging way behind.

Thank you, that's good to know. How often does this game get patched?

Dahbomb

Thank you, that's good to know. How often does this game get patched?
Every few months. Next patch should be coming soon, will get announced at Blizzcon.

And Monks are the best class in 2.4 easy. Both from a solo and group perspective.

ZenaxPure

I've played about 10 hours on the Starter Version so far. I'm impressed with this game — I honestly wasn't expecting much because I'd heard so many bad things about it. They must have fixed a lot of stuff in patches because I haven't had any problems so far.

That's mostly people being dumbasses. Gameplay-wise D3 has always been king in this arena even in vanilla D3. If anything the story mode of D3 was slightly better back then compared to now because most classes got nerfed into the ground with the expansion so they had to be more reliant on items to make a good build.

Anyway, if you just keep playing most of your worries won't matter after a while. Like I mentioned before the story mode and endgame are basically two different games. Stuff like leveling a character doesn't even matter when you can have someone power level you to max in like 10 minutes in adventure mode.

w4ttsup

Any news or estimates on season 5 start dates or patch 2.4 going to PTR?

Can't find much googling or on official D3 forums.

Dahbomb

Even when Vanilla D3 came out, people actually enjoyed the 1-60 level up experience. Combat was fun and the campaign moved at a solid pace. Yeah the story was ass but the whole leveling experience was fun.

It's after lvl60 that the hate settled in.

Funny thing is that Blizzard has fixed end game the most and barely even touched the campaign. Most of the changes to campaign are incidental changes they made to the end game.

I bought the game yesterday. Yay, now I can progress past Leoric!

I started a Monk but it wasn't as fun to play as my Witch Doctor. At least now I've tried every class (except Crusader). I've decided that Witch Doctor is my favorite. I like his summons, his Haunt DoT that spreads across the entire room (even to other rooms!), and his nukes are both strong and unique (exploding frogs lol). Plus, his cool accent reminds me of the locals in the Caribbean when I traveled there over the summer.

joesmokey

Anyone else see on reddit the updated class demographic breakdown for Season 4?
QU7oUKO.png

This is pretty amazing.

Top Bottom