• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT3| Tyrael Looted: {[El'druin]}

RS4-

Depending on the map, I'll clear that in a regular rift after the RG drops. Like if it's a super dense open area. The reason I do regular rifts is mainly for DB's and GR Keys. I do GR's for shards. Shards are more of a bonus for me in a regular rift. So maybe like 75%-80% of the time I just reload, but I do finish a floor occasionally. If I get a cow rift I complete just because its so rare.

I had two this month, the only two I've seen since release!

eek5

Depending on the map, I'll clear that in a regular rift after the RG drops. Like if it's a super dense open area. The reason I do regular rifts is mainly for DB's and GR Keys. I do GR's for shards. Shards are more of a bonus for me in a regular rift. So maybe like 75%-80% of the time I just reload, but I do finish a floor occasionally. If I get a cow rift I complete just because its so rare.

Yeah it really depends on the rift.

I'll clear a couple extra if the rift is good. I'm wearing sage / high movement speed gear if I'm running rifts anyway so it doesn't add that much time and the runs are really fast to begin with 3-4mins so if the map is dense it actually ends up increasing my db/hr because of the 30 second gap in between rifts.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Monk ulyana build is just bonkers. Everything just explodes. So awesome.

I know right? Best thing is getting a big group of 20+ monsters, spam your generator a little so you get EP(cold is the best one imo) on some of them, then use SSS and see them all go "BOOM!".

taybul

Farming crafting mats is such a pain. Anyone have any tips? Salvaging yield seems abysmal compared to cube requirements. Best method I have right now is running through the templar quest clicking armor stands, salvaging to 100 or so white mats, then cubing into blue/yellow, but of course there no cube in Story mode so having to go in and out is just annoying.

joesmokey

I'm still looking forward to what Patch 2.4 will bring to the table in terms of class balance. BlizzCon is so close yet so far...
I'm waiting to see how they address the paragon problem. If they don't break the current meta, I don't think I'll be back for Season 5.
My bottleneck are Death Breaths.... Man I can´t craft/enchant because I always run out of DB...
Roll a monk. No, seriously.

Bisnic

My bottleneck are Death Breaths.... Man I can´t craft/enchant because I always run out of DB...

I got the same problem. I'm always running out of DBs because i waste 25 of them as soon as I reach that number, just trying to transform these yellow fist weapons into the legendary ones i need. Still no luck.

Left off at the beginning of Act IV last night. Oh man, the best thing ever was when I fought that sexy spider lady boss. I had just gotten 2 legendary ring drops for my WD: 1 of them guarantees me a critical hit if my last 4 attacks haven't crit, and the other increases my crit damage. Then I got a 2-handed sword drop that did twice as much damage as my previous weapon, and I put one of those green gems in it that makes my crits do even more damage. All that, combined with several of my skills/passives that buff my damage output, allowed me to burst that boss down with Firebats in less than 5 seconds. It was anticlimactic but so hilarious I didn't care. I was laughing like an idiot and my neighbors probably think I've gone insane.

And dat cutscene at the end of Act III. Blizzard is still the GOAT of video game CGI.

This game is like crack... I sit down to play and I blink and 4 hours have gone by.

Shahadan

First time playing since 2012 here (I stopped before the paragon stuff was added). I have lost my previous characters so I had to start from scratch but man is it way more fun than before.
Of course I imagine xp gain is way faster and the game easier but it feels good to get more loot or rather, more good loot.

And the best thing is I don't know at all wtf was added since I left so I expect to be surprised later.

Ingeniero

I'm waiting to see how they address the paragon problem. If they don't break the current meta, I don't think I'll be back for Season 5.
What's the general complain about the paragon system now? Takes too long? I find that very annoying.

Nice to see new players joining the fun.

Baliis

What's the general complain about the paragon system now? Takes too long? I find that very annoying.

Nice to see new players joining the fun.

Total opposite. It's too easy to get massively high levels. There's already people that are 1800 plus, people will be 3k plus easy by the end of the season. They'll literally be doubling their main stat just through paragon points. It makes it impossible to compete on the boards if you don't constantly speed grifts. People are doing speed XP runs in the 70s, its nuts.

It's also introducing a huge botting problem where people speed run grifts while they're awake then bot normal rifts for keys overnight and blizzard is doing absolutely nothing about it. I'm sure they'll do ban waves at some point, but you have some of the biggest D3 streamers casually admitting they bot or even accidentally leaving their stream up as they bot all night and have nothing happened to them. It sends a message that botting is okay so more and more people do it, making it even harder to keep up.

Yeah it really depends on the rift.

I'll clear a couple extra if the rift is good. I'm wearing sage / high movement speed gear if I'm running rifts anyway so it doesn't add that much time and the runs are really fast to begin with 3-4mins so if the map is dense it actually ends up increasing my db/hr because of the 30 second gap in between rifts.

Get one and play HC with me :p

ZenaxPure

Total opposite. It's too easy to get massively high levels. There's already people that are 1800 plus, people will be 3k plus easy by the end of the season. They'll literally be doubling their main stat just through paragon points. It makes it impossible to compete on the boards if you don't constantly speed grifts. People are doing speed XP runs in the 70s, its nuts.

I think my biggest problem with it is that it's just boring gameplay. Paragon levels were interesting when there was a hard cap in vanilla because it was something that you could strive for over hundreds of hours and say you finished it. The new system is the polar opposite in that since there are infinite levels.

I get why blizzard thinks that is a good thing, because replayability. But honestly I feel like we should be past that. Between GRs, seasons (and especially the new seasonal journey), and ancient items to a degree there is already enough in the game to offer people huge time sinks. Almost no one still playing the game at this point is doing it for the sole purpose of grinding paragon levels. The only people interested in grinding them are the people trying to compete on the GR leaderboard and that is because you can't compete unless you do.

Just feels like an outdated mechanic to me.

Bisnic

Don't mind Paragon levels, they're nice until you get to 800 where the only thing you can spend them on at that point is main stat, which would get boring fast. I'm not hardcore enough to have reach that number yet(only at early 400s so far into season 4), but I understand how it can seems obsolete/boring at one point.

They also should change "Gold find" to something else. I mean, when you have over a billion of gold, who cares about improving how much gold you find? Put something like "Chance to stun" instead for example. Ever since they released that Goblins vault portal, gold have become meaningless.

Yeah GF is the most useless paragon stat allocation there is. MF and EXP would be interesting.

I like the idea of capping pLevel to something like 800 for GR's though.

w4ttsup

I'd definitely like to see a hard cap on paragon or at least severely diminishing returns after 800-1000.

Would be awesome if loot quality and play skill was the actual determining factor on leaderboards, at least to a much larger extent.

Definitely respect the grind that the top players have, but it's just not realistic for a semi-casual player to compete at this point.

Dahbomb

If you put a hard cap on Paragons at 800 then people will stop playing Seasons even earlier than they do now.

It's a very difficult problem that Blizzard has to solve.

One thing is for sure is that they have to tone down the gross EXP gains in groups and from supports putting up all EXP gear. They also need to do something about paragon farming which essentially promotes mindless, all day play aka botting.

Raxious

Thinking of jumping back in, still worth it? Haven't played in months and have no idea if I should do normal or season, or maybe hardcore ^^'

Baliis

Thinking of jumping back in, still worth it? Haven't played in months and have no idea if I should do normal or season, or maybe hardcore ^^'

Might as well jump in seasons. That's where most of us are anyways, and even if you decide you don't wanna do seasons again, your character will roll over into non-seasons.

joesmokey

If you put a hard cap on Paragons at 800 then people will stop playing Seasons even earlier than they do now.

One thing is for sure is that they have to tone down the gross EXP gains in groups and from supports putting up all EXP gear. They also need to do something about paragon farming which essentially promotes mindless, all day play aka botting.
Putting a hard cap on Paragons would just move the problem further down the line. People would instead grind out gem levels the most efficient way possible.

I'm not sure if that's a better problem to have, as the difference between say a lvl 60 gem and a lvl 97 gem (like the 4player record) is still massive.

Baliis

Putting a hard cap on Paragons would just move the problem further down the line. People would instead grind out gem levels the most efficient way possible.

I'm not sure if that's a better problem to have, as the difference between say a lvl 60 gem and a lvl 97 gem (like the 4player record) is still massive.

The super high gem levels are a result of the high paragon though for the most part. If people couldn't do 85+ in 4man, gem levels would be a lot lower. There's a much more realistic cap on how high you gems get since eventually it drops to 0%

kuYuri

My PTR version is downloading an update, are they testing some PTR stuff soon?

EDIT: Never mind, I seem to be downloading some updates across all my Blizzard games.

Syntek

This is all because Blizz dragged their feet fixing the GR gear exp multiplier. Should have remained additive like in regular rifts, instead of multiplicative. But there's no going back now. At this point, they can retroactively adjust the exp required for paragon 800+ instead of a hard cap. If the exponential curve actually held up, current 1500'ers would drop down to around somewhere 1-1.1k.

IceMarker

I'd like to see higher level normal gems, something higher than Flawless Royal which is another thing I can dump my huge useless gold pool into.

w4ttsup

I'd like to see higher level normal gems, something higher than Flawless Royal which is another thing I can dump my huge useless gold pool into.

The real end goal would be the ability to customize gems, or at least be able to socket legendary gems in non-jewelry items.

The customization issue I feel is probably a dead horse at this point.

Bisnic

The real end goal would be the ability to customize gems, or at least be able to socket legendary gems in non-jewelry items.

Can you imagine how overpowered that would be? They would need to make another 10 levels of Torment to somewhat balance this.

w4ttsup

Can you imagine how overpowered that would be? They would need to make another 10 levels of Torment to somewhat balance this.

That's the way the game direction has gone though? From the Monster Power system to the Torment system, players just keep pushing the limits. The devs really don't have a choice now but to keep going upwards.

Beat the (vanilla) game last night. Really fun stuff. This game must be a lot different than it was on release because I loved every minute of it. The story was a little cliché at times but overall it kept me interested in what would happen next, and I didn't see the twist coming (i.e.,
Adria being a gigantic cunt and sacrificing Lydia to rez Diablo
). Does the expansion tie up any of the loose ends? Like seeing
Adria
again?

Also, the best character development in the game award goes to: Haedrig the blacksmith. Most of the other NPCs were rather forgettable but Haedrig was always fun to chat with. I like how he slowly warms up to you over the course of the game.

I reached level 60 on my Witch Doctor and am now debating which class to play next. I'm thinking Barbarian or Wizard. Leaning toward Barbarian.

Bisnic

Beat the (vanilla) game last night. Really fun stuff. This game must be a lot different than it was on release because I loved every minute of it. The story was a little cliché at times but overall it kept me interested in what would happen next, and I didn't see the twist coming (i.e.,
Adria being a gigantic cunt and sacrificing Lydia to rez Diablo
). Does the expansion tie up any of the loose ends? Like seeing
Adria
again?

Also, the best character development in the game award goes to: Haedrig the blacksmith. Most of the other NPCs were rather forgettable but Haedrig was always fun to chat with. I like how he slowly warms up to you over the course of the game.

I reached level 60 on my Witch Doctor and am now debating which class to play next. I'm thinking Barbarian or Wizard. Leaning toward Barbarian.

To your expansion question : Yes.
Also : Buy the expansion ASAP. You won't ever touch the campaign again once you're done with Act V. And by that, I mean the Adventure mode will keep you entertained a lot more easily.

To your expansion question : Yes.
Also : Buy the expansion ASAP. You won't ever touch the campaign again once you're done with Act V. And by that, I mean the Adventure mode will keep you entertained a lot more easily.

orlmente.jpg

Wow, that sounds good. I happen to have a $20 Best Buy gift card too...

Possible issue: If a friend of mine doesn't have the expansion, will that mean I can no longer play with him if I buy it?

Bisnic

orlmente.jpg

Wow, that sounds good. I happen to have a $20 Best Buy gift card too...

Possible issue: If a friend of mine doesn't have the expansion, will that mean I can no longer play with him if I buy it?

It's randomized maps with improved legendary drop rates. What's not to like? :p
I'm not even sure if Kanai's Cube exist in the vanilla game/campaign mode. I'm going to guess no.

FYI(if you didn't know), that cube allows you use the bonus power of one weapon, one armor and one jewelry of your choice at once(have to find the item with them first of course). Which mean if you have the chest armor that allows you to have 3 wolves on a DH, but you find something better later, you can put that armor in the cube, extract it's power, use the better chest armor and still have your 3 wolves.

joesmokey

I think I'm closing in on p450. No unity drops, no ancient Shenlongs.

Good times.
Starting out you almost have to get Unity drops from groups. They are always a weird drop where you get nothing for so long and then all of a sudden you end up with 10 of them.

I wouldn't expect to get ancient Shenlongs from drops. Have to repeatedly upgrade rares for that one.

It's randomized maps with improved legendary drop rates. What's not to like? :p
I'm not even sure if Kanai's Cube exist in the vanilla game/campaign mode. I'm going to guess no.

FYI(if you didn't know), that cube allows you use the bonus power of one weapon, one armor and one jewelry of your choice at once(have to find the item with them first of course). Which mean if you have the chest armor that allows you to have 3 wolves on a DH, but you find something better later, you can put that armor in the cube, extract it's power, use the better chest armor and still have your 3 wolves.

Dammit, that's both awesome and shitty because I got rid of a really awesome legendary belt that gave me a free rune for one of my Witch Doctor spells... I would have kept it if I knew an item like that cube existed. Thanks for telling me; I'll be holding on to my old legendaries in the future.

Dahbomb

I think they should give Runewords for Armor pieces and hopefully they are at least competitive with the gems.

It all falls under the same problem.

High EXP gains in groups = easier to gain higher Paragon levels = easier to push higher GRs in groups = easier to level up gem = easier to push higher GRs = easier to gain higher Paragon levels

It all just feeds into the same cycle.

LOLCats

Banned
On PS4 i just got griefed... Left game open to the public, someone joined and my paragon leveled from 329 to 1040 in about 5 seconds before i quit the game.

God damn it.

LOLCats

Banned
How about uploading a previous save file from the ps4's cloud storage system?

Yeah my problem was I had turned off the automatic cloud backups for Diablo and I had created a whole new character and level to 70 since my last manual push so fuck it...

I'm super glad I wasn't AFK and I was able to exit before got to paragon 10,000 like the asshole who jumped in my game

In retrospect I should've force closed the application instead of quitting normally... But it happened so fast I was like oh my God

ZenaxPure

Looks like wizard is the first to breakthrough GR80. All it takes is 2000 paragon...
http://www.diablo3.com.cn/profile/FortNoxis-5899/22185642

Edit: Hmm, maybe not first after all.

Madness!

I honestly can't get over how insane xp stuff is this season. Just look at someone like Quin who has been playing since forever... His non-season paragon level is only 1400 and that covers the expansion launch + first 3 seasons. He's already nearly 200 levels past that on his S4 character despite it only being a couple of months..

Just thinking about that kinda blows my mind. Shit is out of control.

Top Bottom