• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT3| Tyrael Looted: {[El'druin]}

New Legendaries

It wouldn’t be a new content patch in Diablo without a slew of new items. In addition to the numerous Set revisions being made, we’re adding over forty new Legendary powers in Patch 2.4.0. We’re adding new powers to existing power-less Legendaries, introducing completely new items, and even updating some existing powers that previously lacked that familiar orange text. We couldn’t possibly cover them all here, but enjoy this tiny taste of what’s to come!

Awesome. Also

XZoCEQo.jpg

This one seems fucking nuts?

MrDaravon

Awesome. Also

XZoCEQo.jpg

This one seems fucking nuts?

Well that's one way to get people to diversity and not just run one set and F/R lol

The gold for more legendary gem upgrades is solid, I don't feel like that really solves the gold sink issue at endgame though.

Also glad to see them going back and adding affixes/changes to items that didn't have anything unique on them.

Not sure how I feel about the Season changes; unless I'm misunderstanding something I don't know that the Haedrig gift free set is going to be on it's own enough to compel people into seasons. So unless I'm missing something I'm guess everyone will do season 5 to get the additional stash tabs from season journies, then bail either immediately at that point or after that season is over. I like Seasons but don't feel super strongly about it or anything, but I'm worried this will cause a weird split.

Talaysen

Should I finish the season 4 journey for a stash tab or do those only start in the next season? I'm on the last part but haven't been able to finish it.

ZenaxPure

I like Seasons but don't feel super strongly about it or anything, but I'm worried this will cause a weird split.

Honestly not sure how it will change much. Casual people will still want to do their seasonal journey (which if the next season one is similar to this one will take such a long time people will be done playing once their done). Leaderboard chasing crowd will always want seasons for the fresh start. Non-season is forever tainted with old paragon levels and it will be especially disgusting when this season ends.

MrDaravon

Honestly not sure how it will change much. Casual people will still want to do their seasonal journey (which if the next season one is similar to this one will take such a long time people will be done playing once their done). Leaderboard chasing crowd will always want seasons for the fresh start. Non-season is forever tainted with old paragon levels and it will be especially disgusting when this season ends.

True, but I think a lot of people just liked the fresh start and wanted to get the shiny new stuff. Being able to get the shiny new stuff immediately without having to start over is going to appeal to some folks. I don't know that anyone here really super seriously cared about placing on season leaderboards etc.

Dahbomb

uhh litany seems fucking insane lol
It kinda has to be because it has to compete against 2pc + 4 pc + 6 pc and the another 2 pc like Shenlong or Chantodo and then Focus Restraint.

This definitely opens up some possibilities. I expect some builds will be discovered that might out damage sets and then Blizzard might have to nerf this ring. They probably will not let non set builds be stronger than set builds.

This item is both super interesting and super boring at the same time. It's boring in that it's basically just a huge number for not using sets. It's interesting because it enables the use of various Legendaries that people would never have used before. Though I expect it to be like early Reaper of Souls where it will be about using Legendaries with procs on them like Thunderfury.

Dahbomb

Seems like we got the wrong Litany set bonus. This is from the panel:
edesigned Legacy of Nightmares Set:

From panel: While this is your only Item Set bonus, your damage dealt is increased by 75% and damage taken is reduced by 4% for every Ancient items you have equipped

It's crazy (and awesome) how much you can start to snowball the difficulty level up once you start getting legendary items. I went from Expert to Master to Torment, and then skipped to Torment III where I'm at now. My Witch Doctor is a total glass cannon so he goes down quick if he gets caught in the middle of a nuke/explosion chain, but it makes it more exciting that way! I depend on Hex and Spirit Walk to get myself out of bad situations. But most of the time it doesn't matter because I do absolute fucktons of damage with this new staff:

I blew over 2 million gold getting the enchant from 85% to 97% but man I was so happy when I finally got it. 3 of my items also add damage to Acid Cloud, and 2 of my items increase poison damage. I went from critting in the upper hundred thousands to several million lol. Using the Acid Rain rune I was melting rooms full of enemies in seconds. So much fun! My 2 other favorite legendary items so far are:

They synergize well, especially with the passive that makes your Gargantuans stun sometimes. I have had them completely stunlock some bosses.

As you can see I still haven't jumped on the expansion yet. I'm delaying because I just started playing co-op with a friend who also doesn't have RoS.

I actually have that set! What's an ancient item? I don't think I've seen one... is it an expansion thing?

Celegus

It kinda has to be because it has to compete against 2pc + 4 pc + 6 pc and the another 2 pc like Shenlong or Chantodo and then Focus Restraint.

This definitely opens up some possibilities. I expect some builds will be discovered that might out damage sets and then Blizzard might have to nerf this ring. They probably will not let non set builds be stronger than set builds.

This item is both super interesting and super boring at the same time. It's boring in that it's basically just a huge number for not using sets. It's interesting because it enables the use of various Legendaries that people would never have used before. Though I expect it to be like early Reaper of Souls where it will be about using Legendaries with procs on them like Thunderfury.

I'm OK with this. We've been living in set land too long, it might be nice to remember about some of those other items for a change.

Deadly

Seems like we got the wrong Litany set bonus. This is from the panel:
edesigned Legacy of Nightmares Set:

From panel: While this is your only Item Set bonus, your damage dealt is increased by 75% and damage taken is reduced by 4% for every Ancient items you have equipped
Definitely what I remember seeing too. Didn't seem very overwhelming and I thought 'How's that going to compete with set bonuses?'

ZenaxPure

This Quin vid is hilarious, min-maxing his thorns damage on a demo. Lol at heart of iron being a good item now, increases your thorns based on how much vit (% based) you have. The one he had equipped was 181% of vit.

Jedi2016

That Legacy of Nightmares can't be real, can it?

Wait... "While this is your only item set bonus"... so you can't use it with any other sets or it's worthless. So... it's worthless.

Tarazet

Wait... "While this is your only item set bonus"... so you can't use it with any other sets or it's worthless. So... it's worthless.

It will be fun to play with at least. Just gotta get ancient Depth Diggers, Witching Hour, Magefist, Strongarm Bracers, Hellfire Amulet, etc. etc. etc.

ZenaxPure

Even at 75% that is a pretty big damage increase (close to 1000% increased damage). It may turn out a semi-decent build since you can use like any item combo with it. It's just going to be one of those things people have to mess with on the PTR. Something cool might come out of it, something might not, I look forward to seeing the PTR results.

Also guys I think this Quin video is my favorite part of blizzcon so far lol. Glad I decided to take the time to watch it.

Jedi2016

I can certainly give it a shot, I've got the rings in my stash, and they might even be Ancient, too, I'll have to check. I just get so used to my BK/Wrath WW playstyle, not sure how well it'll work without those sets.

When's the patch supposed to drop?

ZenaxPure

I can certainly give it a shot, I've got the rings in my stash, and they might even be Ancient, too, I'll have to check. I just get so used to my BK/Wrath WW playstyle, not sure how well it'll work without those sets.

When's the patch supposed to drop?

PTR is very soon (like this month), Season 4 is ending at the end of December. So patch will probably be then.

Dahbomb

Its's a damn near 1000% damage multiplier on everything you do plus a solid chunk of defensive mitigation. The damage is competitive with a few 6 pc sets the question is how it stacks with 6 pc + F + R.

My only issue is that it's going to expose the age old issue of there not being enough good chests and shoulders for a lot of classes. When 6 pc sets weren't common people used Aughilds for the chest and shoulders.

ZenaxPure

Looks like barbarians on the demo had the new leapquake set.

2 piece: EQ, avalanche, leap, ground stomp cooldown reduced by 1 second for each 40 fury you spend.
4 piece: Leap causes earthquake and Leap gains the effect of iron impact (the rune that gives you insane armor when you land on a bunch of dudes) and the duration is doubled.
6 piece: EQ, avalanche, ground stomp, ancient spear 800% increased damage.

The demo setup had boulder toss as the spender since it consumes all fury, combat was basically 3x leap to fill up fury and then boulder to dump everything and reset your cooldowns. There was also a new pair of bracers that doubles boulder damage and when it hits 5 or fewer enemies it triples the damage.

Looked fun as fuck, I am insanely hyped now.

moojito

I got some barb items that had effects like increase frenzy stacks to 10, gives every rune for frenzy etc.I coupled them with depth diggers and the primary ability gem. It was alright, but just not strong enough to take forward. This new ring set with a build like that will be crazy good.

Dahbomb

SWK set is reworked. It doesn't buff EP anymore so no more Gungdo Gawd with it. It's now based around using Sweeping Wind and your 3 spenders (Tempest, WoL and LtK).

Bojanglers is now a LTK boot and it's just straight up better than GNk. Though GNK would still be usable in a non 6 pc set up.

ZenaxPure

Whelp guys and gals, Wyatt Cheng tweet:

Legacy of Nightmares/Wailing Host is 800% PER ANCIENT. The screenshot on the panel was old.

So a 10k % damage increase. I hope this leads to some creative/wacky shit.

Dahbomb

Whelp guys and gals, Wyatt Cheng tweet:

So a 10k % damage increase. I hope this leads to some creative/wacky shit.
More like Monks are going to put on these Rings, Furnace, Fist of Az (cube), Gungdo Gawd and run in groups to blow up packs with EP.

The damage numbers will be tweaked in the future, no way are they going to allow these rings to out perform 6 pc sets that they designed themselves for top levels. That's pretty much how they try to balance the game. SWK rework was basically a nerf to the group SWK EP Monk of S4... unless these new rings give even more damage to the set up.

ZenaxPure

More like Monks are going to put on these Rings, Furnace, Fist of Az (cube), Gungdo Gawd and run in groups to blow up packs with EP.

The damage numbers will be tweaked in the future, no way are they going to allow these rings to out perform 6 pc sets that they designed themselves for top levels. That's pretty much how they try to balance the game. SWK rework was basically a nerf to the group SWK EP Monk of S4... unless these new rings give even more damage to the set up.

He said on twitter as well that they want it to be competitive with class sets but not overshadow them. If it outperforms sets on a broad level they will lower the 800% but I imagine if there is one unique setup that is far ahead of everything else they'll just nerf those other items instead.

I'm kinda interested in someone doing something with proc items personally. Take something like Death Watch Mantle which is already 950% weapon damage, increase that by 10,000% and it will hit like a fucking truck. There are tons of other proc based stuff as well, especially weapons.

Dahbomb

Yeah I definitely expect shenanigans and experimentation with the proc weapons. Some of the more recently buffed Legendaries would actually hit pretty hard now.

Maybe you can now use the Sticky Bomb Spike Trap build with Demon Hunter. Well unless that build is better with the new Melee set up.

Main downside of the ancient set thing is that it'll bring back the old "fire on everything" builds, since you'll be able to stack elem again now that you don't need sets, and cindercoat/magefist is still superior to everything else basically. Maybe cold might be good with the redone gloves(they roll 5primaries including cold dmg, so like magefist) and the legendary gem, but cindercoat ressource reduction also made a lot of stuff more viable. It should make some old/unused skills potentially viable though, and should probably be great for maximizing low torment farm speed since builds with a bunch of proced legendaries and movespeed legendaries should be competitive/better than trying to maintain 6pc.

As long as it's not broken OP compared to sets, that's fine with me. The current values seem stupidly high though. Most sets increase damage by 1000% or so then they provide another effect like some sort of cooldown reduction or synergy between skills. And then you have to add specific legendaries that support the skills you us in a set. But if you have like 8000%increased damage, you can use the same skills, use the same legendaries that increase those skills, and just have way more damage on the exact same build, not even counting the other legendary slots that might add random stuff. Even assuming the bonus is additive with skill damage % rather than multiplicative like general sets, it still looks like a stupid amount.

Dahbomb

Yeah that's pretty much my opinion on this, the rings will bring back items that were used a lot at start of RoS like Cinder coat and Magefists. Lots of fire based builds like DH Cluster Arrow. Though since start of RoS we have had way more mechanics and items.

I am going to look at all the items/skills in the game then come up with a few builds.

I actually have that set! What's an ancient item? I don't think I've seen one... is it an expansion thing?

Some times you'll get legendary drops that have "Ancient" in the part where it says what item it is. For example, "Ancient Legendary Staff." Ancient versions have higher stats than the regular kind. Here's an example image:

95XJJ9CPS4YX1415242923518.png

Have they shown at all what's Akkhan's redesign is going to be like? I swear to god they love to troll crusaders.

Is it still planned? I know they were supposed to look at a bunch of the older sets too but they've only shown 1set per class so it might be what we're getting this patch. I wanted Marauder rework too for DH but seems it'll only be the "new" shadow set.

ZenaxPure

Is it still planned? I know they were supposed to look at a bunch of the older sets too but they've only shown 1set per class so it might be what we're getting this patch. I wanted Marauder rework too for DH but seems it'll only be the "new" shadow set.

They said 10 set redesigns at the panel I believe, so probably out there somewhere. Most of the set redesigns we know about right now came from the blizzcon demo where each class has 1 of the redesigned sets. For Cru that was the thorns set.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Have they shown at all what's Akkhan's redesign is going to be like? I swear to god they love to troll crusaders.

I read that they dropped the 2 piece (500 strength) and moved the 4 and 6 piece bonuses to 2 and 4 respectively. The new 6 piece is 450% damage increase.

Also there is a new flail that gives Akarat's champion the prophet and the embodiment of power runes.

They said 10 set redesigns at the panel I believe, so probably out there somewhere. Most of the set redesigns we know about right now came from the blizzcon demo where each class has 1 of the redesigned sets. For Cru that was the thorns set.

Leapquake, Thorns, Shadow, Firebird, Jade, Monkey is what we know, leaves 4, I'd guess, akkan and marauder are 2 of the missing ones, leaves 2 more, I don't play every class but isn't inna outdated as hell other than getting 2pc mantras? Would leave one more but no idea, maybe Rakhor or whatever the charge barb set is, it was kinda bad I think compared to IK and Wastes when they upgraded these. Unless they're counting the ring sets in those 10.

It'd make sense to make sure every class set is viable for set dungeons though. Would be weird to do a set dungeon with one of the weaker set and it's like balanced way differently than other dungeons because the sets perform way differently.

ZenaxPure

Charge set did get redesigned, was posted yesterday I believe (in this thread). Seems pretty legit now but S1 burned me out on charge barb and I still haven't recovered.

Dahbomb

AkKan set has 450% damage buff when Akkarat is on, it's kinda like the Barb IK set. That's the word on the street at least.

Marauder, Delsere and Innas I have not seen yet. I think Delsere and M6 will just get some better numbers while Innas needs a rework.

So far I have seen the reworks for the following:

Invoker
Raekor
Leap quake set
Jade
Firebird
SWK
Shadows Mantle
Akkarat ( reported but have not seen myself)

Wolfie5

Leapquake, Thorns, Shadow, Firebird, Jade, Monkey is what we know, leaves 4, I'd guess, akkan and marauder are 2 of the missing ones, leaves 2 more, I don't play every class but isn't inna outdated as hell other than getting 2pc mantras? Would leave one more but no idea, maybe Rakhor or whatever the charge barb set is, it was kinda bad I think compared to IK and Wastes when they upgraded these. Unless they're counting the ring sets in those 10.

It'd make sense to make sure every class set is viable for set dungeons though. Would be weird to do a set dungeon with one of the weaker set and it's like balanced way differently than other dungeons because the sets perform way differently.

Not sure, but wasn't blackthorne set suppose to be reworked as well?

Top Bottom