• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT3| Tyrael Looted: {[El'druin]}

eek5

WD I don't know shit about to comment.

I think a few of the classes can use a 5th set although it seems like we are at the point where whatever skill you want to use in the game... there's some item that can make it reasonably strong.

Wd is in a pretty good spot with Jade buff. HT and Arachyr are kind of catch-all sets which allow you to use a bunch of skills so everything is kind of covered. Would be nice to see some actualy decent grasp of dead, addling toads and zombiedog/sacrifice builds but right now it's OK.

Since zuni is mainly relegated to fetish army maybe a true pet set would be nice so we can see fetish army/syco, garg, and zombie dogs again.

Dahbomb

Wd is in a pretty good spot with Jade buff. HT and Arachyr are kind of catch-all sets which allow you to use a bunch of skills so everything is kind of covered. Would be nice to see some actualy decent grasp of dead, addling toads and zombiedog/sacrifice builds but right now it's OK.

Since zuni is mainly relegated to fetish army maybe a true pet set would be nice so we can see fetish army/syco, garg, and zombie dogs again.
Old school Pet Doctor might return with that Litany new set though you would have to choose between the dog or the gargantuan ring.

eek5

Old school Pet Doctor might return with that Litany new set though you would have to choose between the dog or the gargantuan ring.

Yeah. Would be cool if you could wear both of finger rings although I'm guessing if they made a set that made that viable, F+R would probably still win out.

Vanilla Diablo 3 might as well not exist, I can't possibly recommend ever playing the game without RoS. I legitimately don't even know what you'd do with a vanilla player, you'd outclass him by orders of magnitude at 70 with 70 gear, and I don't think you even get Adventure Mode without RoS.

Yeah I can't believe people enjoy D3 enough to still play but got the expansion. Insanity.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Vanilla Diablo 3 might as well not exist, I can't possibly recommend ever playing the game without RoS. I legitimately don't even know what you'd do with a vanilla player, you'd outclass him by orders of magnitude at 70 with 70 gear, and I don't think you even get Adventure Mode without RoS.

Here's a weird bit of trivia - there's one dedicated person out there who set up a web site for the community of people playing vanilla D3. http://diablo3.non-ros.com/index.php

They still haven't had anyone else register for the board.

Dahbomb

Theory craft Demon Hunter Spike Trap/Chakram/Wolves build using the Melee + Marauder set (I should coin a cool name for it but I have no idea):

I'll call it the Burning Iron Wolf build

Quiver: Spine of Seething Hatred
Weapon: New weapon Sword of Ill Will gives damage to Chakram based on how much Hatred you have

Shadow's Mantle: 4 piece (Legs, Shoulder, Helm)
Marauder 2 piece: (Gloves, Chest)
Belt: Hunter's Wrath

Bracers: Wraps of Clarity
Pants: Depth Diggers

Rings: Focus and Restraint
Hellfire Amulet

Cube:
The Demon's Demise (or you can use that Crossbow that taunts enemies hit by Spiked Trap if CC is an issue)
The Cloak of the Garwulf (or TnT)
Ring of Royal Grandeur

Active Skills:

Spiked Trap - Sticky Trap
Twin Chakrams
Animal Companion
Shadow Power
Smoke Screen - Whatever rune you like
Mark for Death - Whatever rune you like

Passive Skills:

Blood Vengeance (buffs Chakram)
Numbing Traps
Custom Engineering
Ambush
Awareness/Steady Aim/Perfectionist/Tactical Advantage depending upon what you need to do

Gems:

Simplicity's Strength
Bane of the Trapped
Enforcer

Basically it's a build that has primary skill damage through Chakram and then some burst with Spike Trap because the Demon's Demise is cubed allows you to get more value out of your Spiked Traps. Both of these skills should benefit from the 1000% damage bonus of the Shadow set. 4 piece gives a lot of toughness. Marauders I added because the companions should also benefit from the 1000% damage bonus and this gives you a lot of free damage. Having triple wolves hitting for 100% of your damage in a cleave should be pretty nice and of course they take some aggro off of you. Maybe TnT is better here but that requires testing.

Obviously this is a for fun only build but it will be cool to see how it performs.

MrDaravon

I've always wanted melee DH to be thing.

Ashodin was before his time lol. If I wanted to play melee I'd play another class, but as a DH main I'll try it out because why not. Wonder if they intend to alter drop rates/pools for DH to accommodate it; it's kind of a weird problem because if you're a DH that doesn't want to play melee but you're getting melee drops instead of ranged drops I could see how that would not be cool.

I haven't been paying close attention, has Blizzard said how they are going to do this on console? On console DH can't equip melee weapons, unless that was changed last patch.

Ashodin

NEVER FORGET

k9HKl8s.gif

ibdN6GD.png

ohh I see

2p: While Equipped with a melee weapon, all damage is increased by 1000%
4p: Shadow Power gains the effect of every rune and lasts forever
6p: Impale deals an additional 40,000% weapon damage to the first enemy hit

Is this it? because holy jesus fuck

REAL MELEE DH SUPPORT? FUCK YEAH

Just checked out Shadow Power because I forgot (lol crusader took over my life bros) and jesus you'd be a tanky mofo with all the runes on forever.

Dahbomb

LMAO @ all those Monk regeneration nerfs.

RIP in peace.

Demon Hunter got some legit buffs. Vengeance increases damage by 40% and has a rune that mitigates damage by 50%.

The amount of Legendaries in there is ridiculous. It seems like Innas might be a Cyclone strike + Mystic Ally set even though it's not implemented yet.

Dahbomb

Since you get 1 tab every season from now on it's safe to say that Diablo 3 will have at least 10 seasons total. I really wonder what they can add now after the last few huge patches. They seem to have given just about every skill a Legendary and some way to be usable by Sets. There doesn't seem like they can do much with items in the future.

ZenaxPure

There doesn't seem like they can do much with items in the future.

Nah, there is still a lot of room thanks to runes. The problem with current item design is that builds don't actually use different runes because there is always 1 best choice. For some skills this isn't too big a deal (though it is still a problem) because runes don't change an ability that much but there are a ton of abilities where changing a rune completely changes a skill to the point where it isn't the same ability anymore. The most obvious example of this is probably Elemental Arrow, but, it's no where near the only example, every class has multiple abilities like that.

Thankfully they seem to realize that, we already have that lightning ball quiver and next patch is adding a boulder item. Hopefully they will continue that trend going forward because right now runes are more or less pointless for a ton of abilities.

MrDaravon

Since you get 1 tab every season from now on it's safe to say that Diablo 3 will have at least 10 seasons total. I really wonder what they can add now after the last few huge patches. They seem to have given just about every skill a Legendary and some way to be usable by Sets. There doesn't seem like they can do much with items in the future.

Could be just me, but I interpreted their stash statement of

We’re adding an additional gold-purchasable stash tab for all players with the Reaper of Souls expansion. If you’re concerned that’s not enough, don’t worry—we’re also adding a way for players to earn additional Stash tabs, up to a maximum of 10, through our Season Journey feature.

to mean that you'd be able to get to the maximum of 10 through journeys all on the same season. That would also make sense to me because otherwise if you could only get one tab per season that would mean if you only played seasons you'd never be able to get the 10 total since you'd be limited to the tab for that one season. I could be misunderstanding this though or another statement was made that I missed.

Sober

They need to straight up murder or nerf Cindercoat/Magefist/Andy's if they think fire rune builds with Litany won't immediately be the go-to.

Dahbomb

Could be just me, but I interpreted their stash statement of

to mean that you'd be able to get to the maximum of 10 through journeys all on the same season. That would also make sense to me because otherwise if you could only get one tab per season that would mean if you only played seasons you'd never be able to get the 10 total since you'd be limited to the tab for that one season. I could be misunderstanding this though or another statement was made that I missed.
They clarified later that you get one tab per season.
Hey folks!

In patch 2.4.0 everyone can purchase up to 6 stash tabs with gold. However, starting with Season 5, players will also be able to earn an additional stash tab by completing specific objectives in the Season's Journey (for a total of 7). In the next season in which they participate they'll be able to earn another stash tab for a total of 8. Each season (starting with Season 5) offers the chance to earn 1 more stash tab until the maximum of 10 has been reached.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
looks like wizards are still going to dependent on a single wand (aether walker) to be worthwhile. thanks blizz!!

DH got a lot of stuff this patch. Vengeance gaining 40% dmg buff with Dawn reducing cd and marauder set gaining dmg to sentries and companions. Pretty sweet. I don't care about the new shadow set, impale and aoe knives are boring skills.

Wizard looks fun depending how that thing with casting a channeling spell that also casts your other resource spending powers works.

MrDaravon

They clarified later that you get one tab per season.

Oh thanks, I honestly didn't see that. Kind of weird; so I guess that in subsequent seasons you'll just be able to acquire tabs up to whatever overall max you've reached. Well this at least avoids any sort of significant playerbase split until at least season 10 I guess.

Dahbomb

Going by their original plan of seasons being 3 months long and assuming that patch season 5 comes out in December, that means that the timeline for D3's seasons are:

Season 6 - March 2016
Season 7 - August 2016
Season 8 - November 2016
Season 9 - February 2017
Season 10 - July 2017

Something like that. Seems like they plan to support the game until the middle of 2017 and then unleash Diablo 4.

eek5

Going by their original plan of seasons being 3 months long and assuming that patch season 5 comes out in December, that means that the timeline for D3's seasons are:

Season 6 - March 2016
Season 7 - August 2016
Season 8 - November 2016
Season 9 - February 2017
Season 10 - July 2017

Something like that. Seems like they plan to support the game until the middle of 2017 and then unleash Diablo 4.

lol. finally get 10 tabs... annnnnd everyone is playing D4 :(

Dahbomb

Delsere's Magnum Opus
6 pieces: Enemies affected by your Slow Time take 1500% (up from 750%) more damage from your Arcane Orb, Energy Twister, Magic Missile and Shock Pulse abilities.

We didn't think DMO was meaty enough...

So we doubled it.

6 pieces: Gain the five runed Mystic Allies at all times and your damage is increased by 50% for each Mystic Ally you have out. (reworked from Mystic Allies casting abilities as you do)
That's the new Inna 6 piece. They didn't list the 2pc or 4pc bonus though.

All 5 Mystic allies at the same means that all of your damage is increased by 250%. I am assuming that if you have Crudest Boots on it doubles every single Ally you have so you can have 10 Allies for a total of 500% bonus damage.

I guess they want to make a pet Monk build.

This would explain why they nerfed the Fire Monk because if it split with the Crudest Boots on it would be like you having 20 Allies out in addition to the other ones so that would be a huge damage boost. My guess is players would've tried to mix/max CDR so you can spam Mystic Ally Fire Ally active ability for insane damage multiplier.

Dahbomb

del isn't meaty enough. the fact that they can doubled it to make it competitive though, i'm screaming.
They damn near tripled the SWK bonus to make it competitive. Quadrupled the M6 bonuses.

Actually the M6 bonus is even higher than quadruple the previous damage.

In any case Demon Hunter is looking really good for S5 but at this point it's impossible to guess. There's bound to be countless bugs/exploits with so many new items/sets in the game now.

Like look at what happened with Monk in S4: Started off with R6, Shenlongs and U6 being about competitive with each other (all could do mid60s). Then Mythic Rhythm snap shotting was discovered with U6 and then that became the far away best build for Monks (solo). And then the Static Charge Shenlong/Generator build was discovered which became not only the best solo Monk build but the best group DPS build. That one build along with the Healing abilities of Monk completely broke S4. S4 would've been a lot different if Monks weren't in the game... there would be actual group play and enemy management that doesn't involve standing in affixes and just DPSing shit down with proc characters.

This PTR/season is going to be ridiculous. I already know so much shit is going to go down in the PTR. I don't remember the last time they added/reworked this many items... probably not since they released RoS.

Mutombo

so... do yo u need to find the legendaries again, if you want the new buffs, or will the existing legendaries automatically gain the buffs?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
They damn near tripled the SWK bonus to make it competitive. Quadrupled the M6 bonuses.

Actually the M6 bonus is even higher than quadruple the previous damage.

yaaas they better give huge buffs to the class that needs it the least

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
it looks like a pretty terrible patch for wizards. i'll probably take a look at the new areas but i can't see myself sticking around tbh.

Dahbomb

yaaas they better give huge buffs to the class that needs it the least

it looks like a pretty terrible patch for wizards. i'll probably take a look at the new areas but i can't see myself sticking around tbh.

Demon Hunters actually needed a buff. The class that needed the least buffs were Monks and they definitely got nerfed hard (3 of their builds got hit hard).

As far as Wizards go, they have been buffed substantially as well. I don't know what you are reading there but some of their new items are sick. They got buffed in both defense and offense. Most notably the Firebird set which is potentially too strong if my math on it is correct.

Let's look at all these buffs:

Tal Rasha's Elements
4 pieces: resistance lasts 8 seconds (up from 6).
6 pieces: elemental attacks increase your damage by 200% (up from 150%) for 8 seconds (up from 6).

Moderate buff to Tal Rasha. These buffs makes it hit harder(200% more overall) and easier to play because the buffs last longer. A very welcome change.

Firebird's Finery (reworked)
2 pieces: When you die, a meteor falls from the sky and revives you. This effect has a 60 second cooldown.
6 pieces: Your damage is increased by 100% for each enemy that is burning. Elites that are burning increase your damage by 1500%.
The other pieces got moved up but this new 6 piece bonus is absolutely mind blowing and I can't imagine it's going to stay in the game as is because it's so powerful. The damage is nuts considering in Rifts you can be fighting like 30-40 enemies at once. That's 3000%-4000% damage bonus! Even the elite bonus is pretty very powerful.

Delsere's Magnum Opus
6 pieces: Enemies affected by your Slow Time take 1500% (up from 750%) more damage from your Arcane Orb, Energy Twister, Magic Missile and Shock Pulse abilities.
They doubled it. 1500% damage is still quite insane and now this set has more supportive Legendaries to buff skills like Energy Twister.

Skill changes:

Dominance Shield absorbs 2% of your Life (reworked from 16093) for 3 seconds.
Galvanizing Ward Shields absorb 30% of your Life% in damage (reworked from 81536).
Diamond Skin Absorbs up to 20% of your Life in damage (reworked from 93337).
Crystal Shell : Increases maximum damage absorbed to 40% of your Life (reworked from 186675).
Magic Weapon
Deflection : When you perform an attack, gain a shield that absorbs 4% of your Life in damage (reworked from 10728).
Wizard got a ridiculous defensive buff with all these skill changes. All these skills used to be abysmal when you cranked up the difficulty in GR but now they scale extremely well with higher GRs.

New Legendary items:

P4_ItemPassive_Unique_Ring_009: Your Signature Spells attack 50% faster and restore {c_magic}{VALUE1}{/c_magic} Arcane Power.
This is the new Belt for Wizards and it's a very strong Signature spell Belt if you want to create builds focused around Signature skills. Stuff like triple Magic Missiles.

P4_ItemPassive_Unique_Ring_017: Arcane Orb's explosion triggers an additional time.
Essentially a double up on its damage. This buffs the Delsere's set.

P4_ItemPassive_Unique_Ring_027: Energy Twister damage is increased by {c_magic}[{VALUE1}*100]%{/c_magic} for each Energy Twister you have out.
A buff to Energy Twister and the Delsere set. This is a pretty substantial damage bonus on a single Legendary.

P4_ItemPassive_Unique_Ring_039: While channeling Whirlwind, Rapid Fire, Strafe, Tempest Rush, Firebats, Arcane Torrent, Disintegrate, or Ray of Frost, you deal {c_magic}[{VALUE1}*100]% increased damage and take 25% reduced damage.
Damage bonus and damage mitigation for using the channeling spells which are in dire need of buffs. This allows for more build diversity within the Tal Rasha set (as that's the set most likely to support the channeling Wizard spells).

P4_ItemPassive_Unique_Ring_057: While moving, damage taken is reduced by up to [{VALUE1}*100]%.
P4_ItemPassive_Unique_Ring_058: While standing still, damage dealt is increased by up to 100%
This is the new Ring + Amulet set combo that is built for Channeling spells. Now it gives 100% damage bonus to channeling spells essentially (as you need to use them standing still) and while it may not be competitive with F+R yet, it might be in the future with some number tweaking. Anything that gives you an alternate to F+R is good in my book and especially one that buffs the standing still channeling skills.

P4_ItemPassive_Unique_Ring_065: Elemental Exposure's damage bonus per stack is increased to [{VALUE1}*100]%.
I don't know how high the value on this is but this is definitely an item meant to synergize with Tal Rasha with its multi element set up. Could be a strong bonus if the values are high.

P4_ItemPassive_Unique_Ring_066: Your Arcane Torrent, Disintegrate, and Ray of Frost also cast your other damaging Arcane Power Spenders every second.
Now we are talking. This is a very powerful Legendary ability and might actually make Channeling Tal Rasha builds viable. Summoning meteors every time you channel Arcane Torrent? Sounds ridiculous to me.

P4_ItemPassive_Unique_Ring_074: While channeling Arcane Torrent, Disintegrate, or Ray of Frost, all damage is increased by {c_magic}[{VALUE1}*100]%{/c_magic}.
P4_ItemPassive_Unique_Ring_072: Reduces the Arcane Power cost of Arcane Torrent, Disintegrate, and Ray of Frost by {c_magic}[{VALUE1}*100]%{/c_magic}.
Every more items that buff channeling skills and that are very specific to Wizards.

I am not sure what else Wizards actually need right now. They got like 5 items to buff channeling skills, Legendaries to buff both Delsere and Tal Rasha then they got extreme buffs to their non Archon set. Furthermore they got substantial boost in their defensive skills (Wizard always had great offensive skills).

Lain

Yeah, that reworked Firebird set.

Firebird's Finery (reworked)
2 pieces: When you die, a meteor falls from the sky and revives you. This effect has a 60 second cooldown.
6 pieces: Your damage is increased by 100% for each enemy that is burning. Elites that are burning increase your damage by 1500%.

Seems kind of great to me, though it also seems like something that will get toned down, or nerfed if you will, during PTR.

I also like the Delsere change:
Delsere's Magnum Opus
Would make using the 6p be a lot more worthwhile than what it is.

Too bad about all the nerfs to the exp sets QQ.
Seems like if I want to experience what's it like to get huge amount of exp going, I should do it now... but my laziness doesn't help.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
no fix for aether walker being a crutch, no fix for vyr's being insanely density dependent or destroying your wrists, firebirds damage is okay but it has zero survivability (hence it'll still probably need aether walker)

the set changes are okay but they're pretty much the only positive thing in the patch [edit] and firebirds probably wont make it into the final game like that

Dahbomb

Every single set in the game is density required. That goes for stuff like Static Charge Monk and Uliana Monk as well.

it has zero survivability (hence it'll still probably need aether walker)
That's why Wizard got all those survivability buffs on their skills.

the set changes are okay but they're pretty much the only positive thing in the patch [edit] and firebirds probably wont make it into the final game like that
So all those new Legendaries they added aren't a positive thing? And just because Firebird wouldn't go live with those exact numbers doesn't meant it won't be a powerhouse when it hits live.

Aether Walker for Wizard is only a speed farming tool and every class has an item like that. Aether Walker is not a high end GR pusher. You don't see Aether Walker in high end Vyr or Tal Rasha builds because it would be a huge DPS loss in higher GRs. And that will hold true in 2.4 as well.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
most other classes have an ability like that, not an item. it's not really clear to me why one of the squishier classes in the game also has among the worst mobility

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
oh and quin's stream didn't really have me all that impressed by the new firebirds but by his own admission he doesn't really play the class

Nokterian

Wizard is going to be insane fun in 2.4 and they needed it. But first i am going to make a crusader because the reworked invoker set has me excited.

oh and quin's stream didn't really have me all that impressed by the new firebirds but by his own admission he doesn't really play the class

See he doesn't play the class so let's wait until the PTR goes live and try it out yourself or watch youtube. So much negativity and clearly you still think it is still all bad..i do not know what your are reading but even i see these are huge buffs all ready played 150 hours on my wizard this season and it these buffs are needed to do greater rifts it is a cumberstone at the moment in 2.4 Delsere,Tal'rasha and firebird will shine.

Dahbomb

most other classes have an ability like that, not an item. it's not really clear to me why one of the squishier classes in the game also has among the worst mobility
Wizard has teleport as a default skill which is among the best movement skills in the game. It's better than what classes like Barb, Crusaders, DH and WD have. Only Dashing Strike is really better than Teleport.

Top Bottom