• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT3| Tyrael Looted: {[El'druin]}

Wallach

I don't see an outright confirmation for 2.4 like the tweet though.

I'm not sure why that site reports that as "surprising", they've been on a schedule for a while (at least since 2.2 off the top of my head) where consoles and PC got the updates on the same day. That's just how it works now. This only applies to the PS4 & XB1 versions of RoS, though. The PS3 & X360 versions are no longer receiving updtes.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
I don't recall them doing outright confirmation for any of the other previous individual patches.

Geneijin

I'm not sure why that site reports that as "surprising", they've been on a schedule for a while (at least since 2.2 off the top of my head) where consoles and PC got the updates on the same day. That's just how it works now. This only applies to the PS4 & XB1 versions of RoS, though. The PS3 & X360 versions are no longer receiving updtes.
Ah, I see. I never knew that, so that's good to know as I don't follow the PC updates at all (console player). I only started console D3 a few months ago and retired recently except local play, so I thought I never bother with the game anymore until I randomly lurked this thread for any active console players. I never knew about the D3: UE thread either.

Thanks for your response.

Wallach

I can't wait for the stash tabs, I spent a good 3 hours last night on non-season just managing my inventory on all 6 classes.

I'm at the point where I just don't. I don't care what happens to all that stuff, I simply won't be playing non-seasonal characters in this game anymore.

I'm at the point where I just don't. I don't care what happens to all that stuff, I simply won't be playing non-seasonal characters in this game anymore.

Yeah same, in case of I still take all the gems(non legendary ones that is), materials, deaths breaths, machines and so on, then I just let everything else disapear. Figure if it was in my stash, it wasn't that important anyway.

If I want to check stuff up for a new patch, I can always do that on PTR with the stupid drop rates and since the only thing that motivates me to play more than 30mins is the season journeys, I don't really need anything on non season.

Definitely would be a pain if I cared though. I used to have like 3mules when RoS launched.

Dahbomb

I am going to save some of my Monk gear from the previous season because some of them were pretty insane and I doubt I will be getting versions of them like an amazing ancient Fist of Az.

The rest I don't care about.

MrDaravon

I still do non-seasons character/inventory management, but nothing too crazy. At this point I've accepted that I'll more or less always main DH and just mess around with maybe one or two other classes a little in each season. So for all non-DH classes I only keep really well-rolled Ancient gear, and I keep it on that character (I have one for each class) and not in my stash. Then I use my stash for gems/mats as well as DH gear, but I still only keep well-rolled Ancients as well as well-rolled jewelry. I don't bother keeping gear with super specific skill/stat rolls etc as stuff gets changed enough over time where that seems like a moot point (look at what you would have wanted in Season 1 versus now for example).

More stash space is still awesome though for sure. Even just keeping mats/gems and well-rolled jewelry and DH gear my non-seasons stash still gets pretty full.

oSoLucky

I am going to save some of my Monk gear from the previous season because some of them were pretty insane and I doubt I will be getting versions of them like an amazing ancient Fist of Az.

The rest I don't care about.

Fist of Az is getting buffed to 300% so, with a random roll, it might end up bad. I have the same problem though. I ended up making 2 of my 3 Monks and 2 of my 3 WD mules for all my gear. I have way too many great legs that I'm not willing to part with, though I'll probably never play non-season.

Anyone here play Hardcore on PS4? I'd rather not grind up from 1 "the right way".

Dahbomb

Fist of Az is getting buffed to 300% so, with a random roll, it might end up bad. I have the same problem though. I ended up making 2 of my 3 Monks and 2 of my 3 WD mules for all my gear. I have way too many great legs that I'm not willing to part with, though I'll probably never play non-season.

Anyone here play Hardcore on PS4? I'd rather not grind up from 1 "the right way".
LOL I forgot about that.

Oh well.

Xanathus

I probably should just salvage all of the non-ancient pieces of extra gear in my stash. Maybe even salvage everything because I'll likely never play non-season ever again.

Also I realized after reading up on the Invoker Thorns Crusader build that this is the first time in Diablo 3 history that you do not want critical chance and damage on your gear.

Dahbomb

Well there are a few builds that don't need crit but they are all zDPS support builds.

And with the Broken Promise you can play without needing CC. Though until now there has been no replacement for CHD.

Xanathus

Well there are a few builds that don't need crit but they are all zDPS support builds.

And with the Broken Promise you can play without needing CC. Though until now there has been no replacement for CHD.
I was going to mention ZDPS builds but even those don't mind having crit affixes as long as it already has defensive and CDR affixes.

Started up a Wizard character and going through the campaign right now.

What would you guys say are the best skills for the class? Are there any that are must-haves?

Dahbomb

Started up a Wizard character and going through the campaign right now.

What would you guys say are the best skills for the class? Are there any that are must-haves?
Personally speaking when I start out as Wizard I must have Teleport for mobility, an armor for a buff usually an Arcane armor for damage and Arcane spenditure, Magic weapon for damage boost or Familiar for another damage boost, Glacial Spike Magic Missile for crowd control, Frozen Orb Arcane Orb as the main damage dealer and Black Hole for crowd control and synergy with Frozen Orb. You get Black Hole really late so I just have a bunch of buffs + Glacial Spike and Frozen Orb. I tend to go glass cannon with it early on.

Starting out you should use what you like. Frost Ray with Black Ice is also solid option. The formula to use is that you want one armor, one mobility/evasion skill, one passive damage bonus, one signature spell, one Arcane spender and one support skill (like Black Hole, Blizzard or the Bubble).

Later on you should equip the skills based on items you get. If you get the Channeling Legendary shoulders then switch to a beam skill. If you get the Meteor boots then put Meteor on your skill bar. If you get a bunch of elements stacked up then switch your spender rune to that element type. Starting out you should be dynamic with your skill changes.

Personally speaking when I start out as Wizard I must have Teleport for mobility, an armor for a buff usually an Arcane armor for damage and Arcane spenditure, Magic weapon for damage boost or Familiar for another damage boost, Glacial Spike Magic Missile for crowd control, Frozen Orb Arcane Orb as the main damage dealer and Black Hole for crowd control and synergy with Frozen Orb. You get Black Hole really late so I just have a bunch of buffs + Glacial Spike and Frozen Orb. I tend to go glass cannon with it early on.

Starting out you should use what you like. Frost Ray with Black Ice is also solid option. The formula to use is that you want one armor, one mobility/evasion skill, one passive damage bonus, one signature spell, one Arcane spender and one support skill (like Black Hole, Blizzard or the Bubble).

Later on you should equip the skills based on items you get. If you get the Channeling Legendary shoulders then switch to a beam skill. If you get the Meteor boots then put Meteor on your skill bar. If you get a bunch of elements stacked up then switch your spender rune to that element type. Starting out you should be dynamic with your skill changes.

This will come in handy. Thanks for the tips!

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
realizing how easy it is to run bounties solo on my reg monk as opposed to my barb. ugh. cant live without lightning dash

i think im going wizard for season 5. That and Crusader are lagging behind for me, although I guess Barb is still not that great, but i can do Torment VII as opposed to III which i did on my previous barb.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I still can't decide what I'll go with for S5. Kinda flip-flopping between Barb and Crusader. Kinda sad to see my Monk step down to normals, as I had so much fun with exploding palm these past few months.

Celegus

Crusader for me for sure! Favorite class but last season's flavor was so yucky that I didn't play one. Has Invoker still been tops in PTR? Do Akkhan or Roland at least come close?

Haven't played D3 since the release of RoS (just finished the story and maxed my five chars) and with the start of the new season i'm gonna start from the scratch

Everything i need to know is in the OP?

Seasons are the equivalent of Ladders in D2?

I just recently bought RoS and was hoping to get back into playing D3 since I recently just got the itch to play it again. It has been a while since I last touched the game, it was around I started messing in inferno and the whole auction house thing and just didn't want bother with it. It seems a lot has changed since the vanilla days and wow this new loot system is waaaaaay better, I hope to enjoy the game better this time around and with you guys since I noticed there is now a clan system and I just sent a request to NeoGAF overflow, I hope its a legit clan of GAF.lol

They haven't dropped the patch yet? I figured it would've been the day after the season ended, geez. Wonder if they'll push back S5 at all.

According to DiabloFans;

With Season 5 starting on Friday, January 15th, that leaves only 2 possible dates for Patch 2.4 to land. Either tomorrow, on January 5th, or next week, on January 12th.

They confirmed no maintenance this week though, so unless they patch without a maintenance, which seems super unlikely, it'll probably be next week.

I thought they would make use of the 2 weeks of pre season to test the patch and try to find stuff that wasn't reported/found on PTR, but seems not. Since they've had some fairly large bug issues the last 2 patches, I guess this one will most likely be the same. Talking about blood shard exploit in S3 and hellfire exploit in S4.

Dahbomb

12th it is then for the patch. Seems kinda weird but oh well.

Also I thought I would compile this list based on data seen on the PTR for people who want to be pursuing the top end meta for season 4:

Top Wizard builds (probably best solo class right now)

Delsere - Energy Twister, Arcane Orb skills used
Firebirds
Vyr

(Though Delsere dominated the boards, these other sets can make GR80 too)

Top Crusader builds

Roland's Legacy - Sweep build
Legacy of Nightmares - Bombardment Thorns build
Invoker's Thorn - Punish build

Top Demon Hunter builds

LON - Strafe/FoN
Marauder w/ Cluster Arrow
Unhallowed Essence
Lightning Shadow

Top Monk builds

LON - Tempest Rush
Inna + 2PC Raiment Generator build
(There's another Monk build using Inna that I think focuses more on Mystic Allies, I know it was in the top 20 builds on PTR)

Top Witch Doctor builds

LON Pets
Helltooth

WD actually has a lot of variety in terms of skills they can use.

Top Barbarian builds

IK/Raekor 6
Might of the Earth

Dahbomb

ZDPS Barb is the must-have for groups so that's also a "top" build now.
That was just for solo play.

For group play seems like WD/Barbs are the best supports right now and Wiz/DH being the best DPS classes. Crusader and Monks may have some support role in builds, maybe someone can discover stuff.

I have to imagine that Support Monk LoN EP build HAS to be a thing for group play. Just like last season, Monks tend to keep powerful builds on the down low so they don't get nerfed (Heal Monk was kept under wraps on purpose).

Lain

I played around with Firebird on the PTR and it always strikes me as weird how people manage to get as high as they do. How many dmg reduction buffs from items you gotta have to not implode the second a bee decides to whiff your way?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Just saw that they are adding Set Dungeons? That in itself is enough to make me want to come back and play...I looooove dungeon delving.

Yeah they confirmed on twitter it's next week. Guess a few days before S5 then, not much. Maybe I'll mess around with my crusader before the season starts, so I don't get the terrible idea of playing on during season.

As for Set dungeons, don't expect much. It's fairly gimmicky really. It has nice rewards for doing it(wings) and counts for conquests in season so that's nice, but realistically stuff isn't meant to be challenging once you have decent gear and a lot of it isn't even really speed based and more like "can you group up mobs then press the button your set buffs to kill everything" kind of stuff.

Dahbomb

I played around with Firebird on the PTR and it always strikes me as weird how people manage to get as high as they do. How many dmg reduction buffs from items you gotta have to not implode the second a bee decides to whiff your way?
Well on PTR a lot of mechanics were bugged.

Wizard has better survivability now because their shields are % based now. Also that Halo ring still does work.

Dunfisch

EU diablo wanna team up on january 15th at 17:00 pm? Wanna go to level 70 asap.

Well you know me - count me in, I'm not home right now, but I ought to be back before the 15th. Oh man, I'll have to stock up on junk food and drinks beforehand, might be a long night ahead.

Where's that nincompoop Yoshichan when you need him? I'll see if he's down too.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
15th Jan is after this course exam so there is a slight chance I might join on that

Keeping ya'll updated

Dahbomb

what does LON pets stand for?
Legacy of Nightmares rings which is the "no set" set in 2.4. It's two rings that combine to give you really high damage for every Ancient item you have on your character but you can't use any other set bonus on your character (hence being a "no set" set).

LoN pets builds refers to a Witch doctor pet build (pets mean a bunch of summons/creatures that help you fight mobs along your side or have other functions) that uses LoN plus a bunch of Legendaries. I think top one uses Firebats for damage plus some pets alongside to tank. There's a Dart LoN build too I think.

At least 4 classes have a near to build with LoN. Monk has Tempest Rush LON, DH has Strafe LON (which uses some sketchy mechanics to be honest), WD has a bunch of Pet builds with LoN and Crusader has the Thorns Bombardment build.

Yeah WD LoN builds on top of the PTR ladder are LoN Bats with fetish belt+gargantuan+short man ring in cube and then there's the traditional Darts build with LoN. There used to be a dog build but seems it's gone, I think dog ring got nerfed back a decent bit in one of the hotfix. There's Helltooth pet with big dog though.

Jade's not terrible either. Not sure if it'll get a slight buff for release, as it's a bit behind, but it's relatively decent and is really good early on at least.

Dahbomb

Right now Delsere is a bit over tuned for Wiz compared to their other stuff and R6/SWK are really under tuned for Monk. Though I do not think they will get tweaked before seasons start.

They might actually nerf that Demon Hunter LoN Fortress Ballista build. It uses the shield from Fortress to sustain a low HP pool while having high Vit and has no LoH on gear plus no passive regeneration because it's also equipping Death's Bargain. Then it combos with the Shin Maori chest (100% critical chance when at low HP) and puts no CC on gear.

I hope they don't because it makes use of these lesser used items. I think the major concern with the build is the playstyle because during low HP you have that ghastly red outline which obscures view.

Wouldn't Wizards be able to use that also, since they have so many personal shields stuff? Granted LoN wiz builds seem non existant, but it sounds like it'd be pretty good when you add halo and stuff.

Dahbomb

Wouldn't Wizards be able to use that also, since they have so many personal shields stuff? Granted LoN wiz builds seem non existant, but it sounds like it'd be pretty good when you add halo and stuff.
I don't know, can Wizards make a shield equal to 30% of their HP?

I don't know, can Wizards make a shield equal to 30% of their HP?

Magic Weapon rune gives 4% per hit with no cap(not sure on duration), so does Spectral Blade but only with it obviously although you can get a legendary that gives it 50%attackspeed or something, Dominance gives 2% per kill but not viable for high GR and Galvanizing Ward gives a 60% shield that refreshes if you don't take dmg for 5secs(similar to the legendary gem, but it's % based now). And finally bracers that doubles all your shields, so that'd become 8% per hit, 8% for spectral etc.

So with Magic Weapon and Galvanizing Ward and the bracers, I think you'd get similar results probably?

Top Bottom