• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT3| Tyrael Looted: {[El'druin]}

Hmm, not sure what I want to play this season. Maybe Wizard?

And I looked at that list of the journey stuff you have to do for the extra tab....yeah. I don't know how I'm gonna do some of those.

And I looked at that list of the journey stuff you have to do for the extra tab....yeah. I don't know how I'm gonna do some of those.

It seems doable in about 50hours of play, but yeah it's quite a time investment. There is a free stash for everyone though, so it's not so bad.

As for classes, really anything's fine this patch it seems, unless you plan on doing group high GRs, then some classes seem better than others(wizard overall, barb for support, DH/WD for damage, possibly crusader for support, monk seems meh for groups this patch though). Even Crusaders who have been garbage for a long time are quite a lot better now, with a good speed farm build and a few solid solo high GR builds.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Legacy of Nightmares rings which is the "no set" set in 2.4. It's two rings that combine to give you really high damage for every Ancient item you have on your character but you can't use any other set bonus on your character (hence being a "no set" set).

LoN pets builds refers to a Witch doctor pet build (pets mean a bunch of summons/creatures that help you fight mobs along your side or have other functions) that uses LoN plus a bunch of Legendaries. I think top one uses Firebats for damage plus some pets alongside to tank. There's a Dart LoN build too I think.

At least 4 classes have a near to build with LoN. Monk has Tempest Rush LON, DH has Strafe LON (which uses some sketchy mechanics to be honest), WD has a bunch of Pet builds with LoN and Crusader has the Thorns Bombardment build.

Actually slightly offended
not really
you felt the need to explain what pets are, seeing as pet classes is usually what I prefer in every game, certainly what I go to first every time lol

I guess you had no way to know that :p

Dahbomb

Actually slightly offended
not really
you felt the need to explain what pets are, seeing as pet classes is usually what I prefer in every game, certainly what I go to first every time lol

I guess you had no way to know that :p
Whenever someone asks a question I try to make no assumptions and explain as if they were new. Even if they aren't new, someone else reading the thread could be new and may be lost in the conversations.

A lot of abbreviations get thrown around here and in other threads which can make things difficult for new players.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
some dumbass barb smashed gr86 on the ptr at the last minute, tryharding to the max

when will barbs learn >.<

Xanathus

some dumbass barb smashed gr86 on the ptr at the last minute, tryharding to the max

Eh, trying to place on the leaderboards is a joke in the first place since Blizzard doesn't do anything about botters and the end-game is all about how many paragon points you have.

Dahbomb

Some classes are going to be reaching GR90 by the end of S5 anyway so there's no point in worrying about that especially this late.

Jadax

Anyone know how much data per hour play D3 takes (offline and online). I'll be travelling a lot over the next few weeks and will have limited data packs.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
4 people let's do this and go to 70 in a few hours when season 5 begins i am pumped to begin.

Count me in if there are 4 of us... Although, seeing as Jan. 15 is on Friday, and I have an acting class after work, I probably won't be online until 23:00 or midnight :/.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
So the LoN WD pet build is really strong? I like the sound of that, I've always liked the idea of WD pet builds but thought the focus on sets never really did the playstyle justice due to how many cool individual legendaries there are.

Xanathus

So the LoN WD pet build is really strong? I like the sound of that, I've always liked the idea of WD pet builds but thought the focus on sets never really did the playstyle justice due to how many cool individual legendaries there are.

Well the thing with all these LoN builds is that you need Ancient pieces and those actually take quite a long time to get, so they're not really a thing if you're doing seasons. You need optimal Ancient pieces in all slots in order to even be comparable in power to a set build.

Wolfie5

Where can I read about the journey stuff you need to do? Would like a link for this list. They don't talk about stash tab reward in their latest updates, only set items and cosmetic rewards.
Edit: nvm, found it.
http://www.diablofans.com/forums/di...ete-list-of-season-5-journey-requirements-and

As for class, I think I will go with a DH for season 5 and maybe wizard later on. Decided to play with at least one new class every new season. Started with Monk last season, which was a lot of fun.

Can't believe I have almost only played WD since D3 released. I mean I have played a little with the others before, but never really gave them any chance, as I had a lot of fun with WD and just wanted to improve him as much as possible.
Thanks to seasons, you get some incentive to try new classes as everyone starts from scratch.

Nokterian

Count me in if there are 4 of us... Although, seeing as Jan. 15 is on Friday, and I have an acting class after work, I probably won't be online until 23:00 or midnight :/.

By the time you are online i am level 70 i think but i can give you boost if needed :p

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
By the time you are online i am level 70 i think but i can give you boost if needed :p

I wouldn't mind!
Besides, didn't I help you do just that last season? At least for rerolls I think. Of course you then proceeded to outlevel me cause I guess I'm not hardcore enough, but remember your teachers! :p

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Some classes are going to be reaching GR90 by the end of S5 anyway so there's no point in worrying about that especially this late.

Oh I know, but blizzard's track record seems to indicate that they don't look that far ahead. They see an outlier on the PTR, and they nerf. I don't doubt most classes will be hitting that 90 mark by season's end; I just hope that the raekor/IK hybrid build (my fav. playstyle for this coming season) doesn't get knee jerked last second. I love the hybrid Raekor, but hate the Raekor6. I just have a creeping feeling they are going to last minute nerf the R4 set bonus or just switch raekor4 and raekor6 bonuses (which would kill the hybrid build). Hope I'm wrong.

Dunfisch

That rush and haste again. I wonder which way we ought to tackle it. Split bounties, I reckon - we'll want a starting stock of materials in order to extract legendary affixes.Gonna be a good night, who knows. P100 before it's over, eh :D ?

Nokterian

That rush and haste again. I wonder which way we ought to tackle it. Split bounties, I reckon - we'll want a starting stock of materials in order to extract legendary affixes.Gonna be a good night, who knows. P100 before it's over, eh :D ?

Level 70 is the goal right out of the box when season 5 starts so i hope to see lots of puzzle rings and cow levels.

Baliis

P100 will be so easy. You'll have a full set and be doing t6 plus within like an hour of hitting 70 prob.

Note that while grouping is still faster, solo leveling is also a lot faster than it was past seasons due to the addition of the console kill streak system thing, where you get additional xp as long as you're killing stuff. Places like Halls of Agony and Fields of Misery in Act1 are excelent for this reason, although you can just rift and be fine.

People are saying it's ~3hours now to level to 70 solo. Roughly the same in groups, maybe like 20mins faster or so.

And yeah Paragon 100 isn't gonna be much either with the free 6pc set, you can jump to high torment right away, can do like T7 bounties on a bunch of those classes with just rares and your 6pc, so it'll go super fast.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Note that while grouping is still faster, solo leveling is also a lot faster than it was past seasons due to the addition of the console kill streak system thing, where you get additional xp as long as you're killing stuff. Places like Halls of Agony and Fields of Misery in Act1 are excelent for this reason, although you can just rift and be fine.

People are saying it's ~3hours now to level to 70 solo. Roughly the same in groups, maybe like 20mins faster or so.

And yeah Paragon 100 isn't gonna be much either with the free 6pc set, you can jump to high torment right away, can do like T7 bounties on a bunch of those classes with just rares and your 6pc, so it'll go super fast.

free 6p?

In season. You get 6p of the "new" sets for your class for reaching 70(2pc), killing Khule on T2(2pc) and clearing GR20 solo(2pc), which all can be done within 20mins of hitting 70 basically. Means you pretty much don't waste any time farming T1-2 for several hours and instead jump to 5-6 right away, so your xp goes A LOT faster in those early paragons.

tjohn86

Why can't it be season yet :(

cartmanfreezeshimselfforhalo5guardians.jpg

grimmiq

I played at D3's launch and only just decided to pick this up for Season 5, wanted to see how leveling is now compared to back then. Are droprates all messed up on the PTR or do legendaries just drop constantly now? Got to lvl9, went into a rift, finished it with 6 levels and 14 legendaries.

Dahbomb

I played at D3's launch and only just decided to pick this up for Season 5, wanted to see how leveling is now compared to back then. Are droprates all messed up on the PTR or do legendaries just drop constantly now? Got to lvl9, went into a rift, finished it with 6 levels and 14 legendaries.
PTR has 2000% Legendary drop rate. It's for testing purposes only.

Still Legendaries are WAY more common than what they were at D3's launch.

Chocobro

Looks like I'll give wizards a try for season 5. Been playing mostly monk.

What do you guys do with the stuff you got from season 4? Let it expire, salvage it, do the set dungeons? I don't see the fun in playing non-season if most of the players will be in seasons.

Xanathus

PTR has super high drop and xp rates.

Dahbomb

what's up with this free set talk? how you get dat schnazz during the season?
You get a free set (it's a fixed one for every class - DH = Shadow set, Barb = MOE etc.) by doing a few achievements.

Get lvl70 - Get 2 piece of the set
Kill Zultan Kulle on Torment 2 - Get 2 more pieces
Beat GR20 - Get the final pieces

All of this is pretty easy to do as you can imagine.

Nokterian

You get a free set (it's a fixed one for every class - DH = Shadow set, Barb = MOE etc.) by doing a few achievements.

Get lvl70 - Get 2 piece of the set
Kill Zultan Kulle on Torment 2 - Get 2 more pieces
Beat GR20 - Get the final pieces

All of this is pretty easy to do as you can imagine.

One of the best things to come out and for every season a different set i really like it so you can try different builds. Having such great gear from the start is just fun to me.

Why is the wait so long?

Baleoce

I don't know whether it's just RNG, but I set a goal of making 2 Vyr's set Archon Wizards on both PC and console. PC, I initially started like a year ago or something. Albeit playing on and off. But then I started on console properly about a month back, and I've made a ton more progress on the console version than PC. And the Ancient drop rate on console seems to have been far kinder to me as well.

Disclaimer, I don't play public, or even in a group. I just solo. But the difference in RNG is staggering between the two. It took the console counterpart hardly any time to surpass my PC character.

Nokterian

I don't know whether it's just RNG, but I set a goal of making 2 Vyr's set Archon Wizards on both PC and console. PC, I initially started like a year ago or something. Albeit playing on and off. But then I started on console properly about a month back, and I've made a ton more progress on the console version than PC. And the Ancient drop rate on console seems to have been far kinder to me as well.

Disclaimer, I don't play public, or even in a group. I just solo. But the difference in RNG is staggering between the two. It took the console counterpart hardly any time to surpass my PC character.

You do know that drops are mostly based on luck right? Sometimes you are lucky sometimes you are not. I play the PC version always because well i like the kb+m controls i also own the ps4 version it is very good and made very good on that regard but i keep coming back to the pc version because the seasons and now you get a whole set and a new pet and portrait even if it is cosmetics it is one of those things i keep playing.

Baleoce

You do know that drops are mostly based on luck right? Sometimes you are lucky sometimes you are not. I play the PC version always because well i like the kb+m controls i also own the ps4 version it is very good and made very good on that regard but i keep coming back to the pc version because the seasons and now you get a whole set and a new pet and portrait even if it is cosmetics it is one of those things i keep playing.

Yeah definitely, luck always plays a big part in these things, but it was the sheer degree of difference in it that caught my attention. I always go back to the PC version myself for similar reasons, albeit not for any of the cosmetic stuff.

Finally picked up my Barb to 70 a few days ago. So far completed a great GRift 40+ WW set and really trying to get myself Focus and Restraint.

Had 11 Restraint drops in 3 days, 5 of them dropped yesterday.

No Focus :(((((

Edit: finally!

I need to dig around on this and reddit for builds, I'm completely out of the loop other than the game-wide changes. Watching Philo's 2.4 DH overview video right now and some of this stuff is nuts.

Diablofans and Icyveins will have all the builds right away when the patch launch, with detailed guides. They tend to evolve a bit the first few weeks though as people sometimes figure optimizations that weren't known on the PTR(or stuff they knew was better but they didn't play on PTR at high GR to keep it hidden, like monk support last patch).

MrDaravon

Diablofans and Icyveins will have all the builds right away when the patch launch, with detailed guides. They tend to evolve a bit the first few weeks though as people sometimes figure optimizations that weren't known on the PTR(or stuff they knew was better but they didn't play on PTR at high GR to keep it hidden, like monk support last patch).

Yeah I'm going in with DH so I just watched all of Philos' 2.4 DH build videos so I feel fairly up to date now. Had no idea about some of the changes like the sentry quiver also now rolls sentry % etc. They just keep making all of the numbers larger and larger lol.

Dahbomb

Not really sure why no one has talked about an LoN EP Monk support build, I guess since they nerfed that build this season (well they completely removed it) people are keeping it under wraps.

LoN, Furnace in hand, Fist of Az cubed, Gungdo Gawd, CoE = Huge EP crits for the group.

Un less I am missing something here.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Have they nerfed the living hell out of Zombie Bears since before Reaper Of Souls? That's the last time I played a Witch Doctor, and it used to be great, but now it seems slower, not to mention the Bears getting stuck on stuff all the time. :/. Shit is borderline useless at this point compared to something like Acid Cloud.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/qu4ntumrush-1823/hero/67445397

Tell me how to git gud. I don't understand much about class builds and I've never played on T5+ - my M & C survivability are pretty good but they don't do enough damage to raise the dfficulty [I've given up on my DH, it's way too glass cannon for my taste and her damage isn't even good anymore]. I don't know if or when my S4 crusader will be deleted - I transfered her stash yesterday - but I love her a lot and at least want to get the last crusader cheevos until then.

Dahbomb

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/qu4ntumrush-1823/hero/67445397

Tell me how to git gud. I don't understand much about class builds and I've never played on T5+ - my M & C survivability are pretty good but they don't do enough damage to raise the dfficulty [I've given up on my DH, it's way too glass cannon for my taste and her damage isn't even good anymore]. I don't know if or when my S4 crusader will be deleted - I transfered her stash yesterday - but I love her a lot and at least want to get the last crusader cheevos until then.
Season characters don't get deleted, they get converted to normal characters.

In D3 you make builds based around 6 piece sets for solo play (or the LoN set in the new patch). You have not completed a 6 pc set so your power level is limited. Look at the set pieces for the Crusader and figure out which skill you want to use as your build. When you have completed a 6 pc set then you can proceed to make a good build.

Do you even have the Kanai's Cube? Get that, put 3 Legendaries into it then go into Greater Rifts and acquire Legendary gems. Then get jewelry with sockets and level up your 3 best gems to lvl 25 at least.

Also put Legendaries on your followers, they are naked.

Have they nerfed the living hell out of Zombie Bears since before Reaper Of Souls? That's the last time I played a Witch Doctor, and it used to be great, but now it seems slower, not to mention the Bears getting stuck on stuff all the time. :/. Shit is borderline useless at this point compared to something like Acid Cloud.

Bears always got stuck on stuff, it's part of why you want to use bears with your back against a wall cause it makes them go in a straight line instead. Always been like that afaik.

And it's better than Acid Cloud overall cause it costs a ton less mana and the weapon that boosts it is 1H instead of 2H, which lets you use a mojo like Henri's or Thing of the Deep.

That is unless you're speed farming low GR/T10, then Acid Cloud is just easier to use overall, but for high GR where stuff tends to not die for like 15-20secs, you just set yourself in the right spot and bears non stop.

Playstyle is pretty much dead next patch though. There's still a Helltooth build but it's pet centric, like most WD builds other than Jade. Actually looks boring as shit since it doesn't have any spender, just Fire Wall/Piranha then garg/dog passively doing damage.

Dahbomb

You can probably make a Zombie Bear build with LoN and do insane damage with it anyway. At the very least you can crush TX with it.

Top Bottom