• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT3| Tyrael Looted: {[El'druin]}

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
No patch today but Season 5 still planned for this Friday? Blizzard, wat do?

Sambrez_

A blue indicate on the FR forums that the patch will be deployed after the PTR downtime tonight

http://eu.battle.net/d3/fr/forum/topic/17289019759#7

Afin de préparer le déploiement de la mise à jour 2.4.0, les serveurs du RPT seront déconnectés mardi 12 janvier à 2h du matin (heure de Paris). Passé cette date, les joueurs ne pourront plus se connecter au client du RPT et les comptes RPT (y compris les informations de personnages) seront réinitialisés.

The PTR servers will go offline tonight at 2AM.

La mise à jour 2.4.0 sera disponible après la maintenance. :)

The 2.4.0 will be deployed after the downtime.

Still have a GAF clan going? If so, how can I get invited for Season 5? Haven't played since like season 2 but I'm ready to jump back in, was hopefully gonna find some people to kick the season off with

IceMarker

Still have a GAF clan going? If so, how can I get invited for Season 5? Haven't played since like season 2 but I'm ready to jump back in, was hopefully gonna find some people to kick the season off with
Sure, just add IceMarker#1172 and I can invite you right now.

2.4 is out on console so we have to assume it will be out on NA servers at some point today.
Really? It's out on console already? They better release it on PC today then.

Blizzard plz

IceMarker

Just a word to the wise since it's a new season/patch and player activity among GAF kicks back up again, I think I speak for all of us when I say that when we hit the member cap of 150 we will kick the member who has been offline the longest. An example being I just kicked a member who has the longest offline time of 250 days to make room for Stormy.

I always love the hype around a new patch/season.

Nokterian

Destiny & Diablo are similar in the sense that you are essentially running the same areas over & over, grabbing different gear &/or materials as you go. The big difference in the two games is that USABLE loot CONSISTENTLY drops in Diablo regardless if you are grinding out bounties, or doing rifts/great rifts.

Check out the below post, I pulled it from the most recent Destiny OT. I believe it to be a VERY accurate description of Diablo from a Destiny player.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=191619494&postcount=9985

If you end up getting the game, send me a FR & we can play together.

The better comparison that people never seem to understand for whatever reason is that Destiny and Diablo aren't trying to be the same things. Destiny is trying to ape themepark MMOs where you have limited character builds and it is basically a linear path for gear progression while D3 is an actual loot game focused on having a wide array of builds to experiment with. Destiny is as much of a loot game as WoW is, in that yes you want loot to make your character better but you aren't going to be replacing items constantly (compared to a game like D3) or finding items that completely change your toolkit.

To answer the guy that posed the question more specifically, don't go into D3 expecting it to be similar to Destiny as it is not a similar game at all. Diablo doesn't have anything like raids or dungeons or the like that require coordination to overcome boss mechanics. The game is far more focused on your skill set and their synergies and combining those skills with your allies skills to completely lock down enemies so they can't kill you (since on real difficulties enemies will essentially 1 shot you in most cases).

As for what makes it a good game in my opinion, basically the paragraph above, but to clarify: it's the combat. The way the skills synergize in the game makes for immensely satisfying combat as you're essentially comboing your abilities so you can control and destroy enemies in the most efficient way possible. That on its own is fun and all but where it really shines is in the infinitely scaling Greater Rifts which eventually reach the point where enemies will basically one shot you. So understanding what every enemy does is incredibly important when playing alone. Group play is a little different but the general idea is the same.

Also if you plan to play on PS4 you will have to either play alone or with people you know, game is pretty infested with hackers who will cause you to gain an insane amount of levels/items in a matter of seconds (we're talking progress that would normally take thousands of hours to do accomplished in literal minutes)

Him comparing Destiny with Diablo is hilarious. It is not the same at all and it will never be that way and your post is exactly what i was thinking. Also i am having more fun with a game like diablo than something like destiny.

mileS

I always love the hype around a new patch/season.

Me too bro. See y'all on friday!

I still need GAF to decide what I should play this season. Leaning Barb with Wiz a close second. Haven't done anything with a WD besides leveling it to 70 a couple times in my whole D3 career. That might be new enough to stick with. I always make season alts to gear with blood shards but with all the set dungeons and changes I think I should focus mostly on a main.

Baliis

Anyone playing HC this season? I'm thinking of starting with a SC DH, then branching off to a HC WD, or maybe wizard, idk

IceMarker

Anyone playing HC this season? I'm thinking of starting with a SC DH, then branching off to a HC WD, or maybe wizard, idk

I might play both like I did last season, although if I play like I did last season 90% of my time will be on SC. You just reminded me I need to get power-leveled on my HC non-season Crusader.

Navid

No, because the console versions never had Seasons, they were always exclusive to PC.
Ah, that's a shame as it seemed like a good way to get some good starting gear for jumping into rifts and such across multiple characters.

Is there a alternative method outside of seasons that people would recommend for getting some quick decent gear in order to start running rifts at Torment difficulty?

So far I've levelled Demon Hunters, Monks, Barbarians to 70 (1 in normal mode and 1 in hardcore) and currently playing with my first Crusader. Would be nice to have a way to find some good gear for all of them so that I could jump between them and play adventure mode as I wanted without too much swapping and changing.

IceMarker

Is there a alternative method outside of seasons that people would recommend for getting some quick decent gear in order to start running rifts at Torment difficulty?

I mean, barring the free gear from Seasons, even on console you should be able to follow the spreadsheet Xanathus linked and still get to the Torment difficulties at near the same rate.

MrDaravon

Question for folks keeping up with DH changes; if you go Marauders would it be feasible to run MS instead of CA if you get a Yang's before you get a Manticore? The Mara builds all seem to focus around CA, but I can't imagine MS would be THAT far behind with that build, or am I wrong?

Dahbomb

Question for folks keeping up with DH changes; if you go Marauders would it be feasible to run MS instead of CA if you get a Yang's before you get a Manticore? The Mara builds all seem to focus around CA, but I can't imagine MS would be THAT far behind with that build, or am I wrong?
I have seen people use CA even when they have the Recurve Bow with M6 on PTR because of the huge RCR on it.

Baliis

I might play both like I did last season, although if I play like I did last season 90% of my time will be on SC. You just reminded me I need to get power-leveled on my HC non-season Crusader.

I'll prob be round tonight if you want me to do it, still have my barb from last season and he's pretty well geared.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I'm a on again, off again Diablo 3 player since (PC) launch -- currently playing again on X1. Are Monks still gimped in the end-game? It's the one class I've never leveled to 70, but heard lots of negative things.

Feedback appreciated.

Hmm, so I guess the damage gap between CA and MS is that huge now then even if you're getting off MS's 1.5 times faster?

MS is fine until you get to much higher difficulty, main issue of MS is the fact you kinda want the quiver too for double MS damage on low hp targets, but you also need the bombardier quiver for more sentries, so it eats your armor cube slot, which means you don't get something else like the vengeance damage reduction rune helm or leoric's helm if you have trouble reaching the cdr and so on.

But it's totally fine before you're at the point where you need to optimize everything(like T9 or so it should still be fine, T10 even if you have solid gear for the rest). You can also use Krider+Lightning Balls or the Chakram dagger or quiver(or was it both, I forgot) or whatever you want really.

Once you have a Manticore however, the difference is fairly obvious. Cluster was always ridiculous with the main downside being the cost, and Manticore more or less completely removes that issue.

Guess EU getting the patch tomorrow morning. One more day to finish Neptunia before 3weeks of intense Diablo(and maybe some Dragon's Dogma).

Baliis

MS is fine until you get to much higher difficulty, main issue of MS is the fact you kinda want the quiver too for double MS damage on low hp targets, but you also need the bombardier quiver for more sentries, so it eats your armor cube slot, which means you don't get something else like the vengeance damage reduction rune helm or leoric's helm if you have trouble reaching the cdr and so on.

But it's totally fine before you're at the point where you need to optimize everything(like T9 or so it should still be fine, T10 even if you have solid gear for the rest). You can also use Krider+Lightning Balls or the Chakram dagger or quiver(or was it both, I forgot) or whatever you want really.

Once you have a Manticore however, the difference is fairly obvious. Cluster was always ridiculous with the main downside being the cost, and Manticore more or less completely removes that issue.

Guess EU getting the patch tomorrow morning. One more day to finish Neptunia before 3weeks of intense Diablo(and maybe some Dragon's Dogma).
Do quivers take the armor slot? Thought offhand took weapons. Either way, there's probably better uses of your cube slot.

Addnan

I'm a on again, off again Diablo 3 player since (PC) launch -- currently playing again on X1. Are Monks still gimped in the end-game? It's the one class I've never leveled to 70, but heard lots of negative things.

Feedback appreciated.

depends what you want to do. In 2.3 it was all monk. monk was everything everywhere. they were the dps and they were the main support in groups. For solo play monks are perfectly fine 2.4 as they always have been. In groups they are shit this patch, but that is only really an issue if you care to push high. The average player doesn't give a shit about group comp. I am guessing an off again on again D3 player is not someone pushing group ladders.

Do quivers take the armor slot? Thought offhand took weapons. Either way, there's probably better uses of your cube slot.

If it took the weapon slot it'd be a ton worse, since the weapon slot for DH in 2.4 is ALWAYS Dawn. Unless you use Dawn on your char, but there's basically no way you're not using Dawn on a DH, perma vengeance is just way too ridiculous to pass up.

But offhands/quivers/shields take armor slots. Generally competes with Aquila, the dawn helm or Cindercoat or whatever else nowadays.

Edit: Offhands/quivers/shields are weapon slot, not sure why I thought they weren't, my bad.

RS4-

I'm just trying out the m6 build with recurve and rucksack with MS. I actually just rolled off the 15% CA to MS lol. I have to go through my build, I don't even know what I'm doing anymore. I don't think I actively used DH since s3.

Baliis

But offhands/quivers/shields take armor slots. Generally competes with Aquila, the dawn helm or Cindercoat or whatever else nowadays..

Are you sure? I'm like 99% sure offhand were considered weapons in the cube, at least the last time I played they were.

Are you sure? I'm like 99% sure offhand were considered weapons in the cube, at least the last time I played they were.

Yeah actually my bad for some reason I was sure I had a mojo and furnace at the same time last season, but it is weapon slots. Makes it even less likely you'll use 2 quivers legendaries then.

Tevren

Tried 2 different set dungeons so far, cleared neither. Objectives on some seem ill suited to the set, as example, Delsere's requires 200 projectiles be reflected. Easy enough with the dungeon being full of Act 2 bee things, but just simply isn't fun to play. Maybe I'll try other set dungeons later, but really disappointed in this.

Dahbomb

Feedback appreciated.
Monks were god tier in the last patch dominating single GR push and group DPS plus group support. Also very good at speed farm TX.

In 2.4 they are better at speed farming, ok at solo GR push but not relevant in groups thus far. I personally think there might be a build or two being kept under wraps for the new patch so there may be some hope for group composition.

For on and off players it doesn't really matter, Monk is perfectly fine. Uliana set is very fun and fluid to play for GRs and speed TX.

Top Bottom