• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV |OT| Blessed Mother... Save Us

Antwix

Just incase anybody missed it, there is a developer stream tonight at 7PM GMT that is going to go over all of the additions that will be coming in season 1

Think it's being streamed on twitch and youtube
yep. stream can be found here : https://www.twitch.tv/diablo

goes live in about 2 hours from now

copium-twich-emote.png

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
---> ATTENTION! PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT! MUST READ <----

As per forum rules, this thread will soon be moved to the community section! The community section of the board is for long threads around a single theme like a game or a hobby. If you want to continue to read and participate the thread you have the following options:

a) Watch the thread

watch-thread.jpg

b) Browse the community section of the forum

community.jpg

Thank you for your attention.

Last edited:

nikos

I was a bit confused about how things would work before this update. The way I see it, current character is good for campaign, clearing fog of war, discovering Altars of Lilith. Aside from that, maybe hitting max level and gearing up completely if you really want to play this game beyond seasonal characters.

That's pretty much Eternal. There's no real end-game beyond that, unless I'm wrong. If they raise the level cap, ntroduce better gear, or add more content on Eternal, then there will be a reason to return to your main character.

Seasons introduce new mechanics on Seasonal servers and unlock cosmetics for all characters.

I don't get the comparisions to MMOs. Those games generally have a proper end-game, continue to expand, and encourage you to continue playing the same character. This game has never felt like an MMO to me, except maybe when I ran into a world boss one or two times and people gathered to kill it.

Last edited:

Raven77

Does this games depressing color palette ever brighten up a bit? I'm not looking for some cyberpunk style Diablo game but I feel like the game is practically black and white, at least in the first 10 hours or so.

Yes I've been playing Diablo since D1 and I know that this is closer to the style of D2. It just seems like a stark contrast between this and the visuals of D3. It's making me even more depressed then I already am.

Last edited:

EruditeHobo

I'll definitely be going through all the seasonal content on new character classes I haven't played yet. But that's me, I play for the campaign & campaign updates, mostly. I never delve deep into min-max grind of the endgame for this type of game.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I'll definitely be going through all the seasonal content on new character classes I haven't played yet. But that's me, I play for the campaign & campaign updates, mostly. I never delve deep into min-max grind of the endgame for this type of game.
It's not just you. 98.999999999% of arpg players would LOVE to skip the campaign content whenever possible when starting a new season (die in a fire POE).

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
can anyone tell me in the 2 hour stream when they start talking about d4
my gag reflexes kick in hard when i see diablo mobile

Antwix

can anyone tell me in the 2 hour stream when they start talking about d4
my gag reflexes kick in hard when i see diablo mobile
its like 17min in. if you're using youtube thumbnail/timelines, d4 coverage starts when the 2 immortal guys leave their seats and get replaced by the 2 d4 dudes.

Freeman76

Apparently these are deleted at the end of the season (Won't transfer back to your eternal-converted character). So, if my seasonal build is based around these, when my seasonal character is converted it will be busted.
In D3 they often moved some of the season events to the eternal realm so that may change

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
If you have Amazon Prime, there's a free mount available to claim from Prime Gaming. Beats the default horse I guess.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Just beat Uber Lilith today on my rogue. Took about 83 tries.

Incredible feeling and satisfaction beating her.

I do think like most that the fight has busted aspects. Her going out of arena, hit boxes, her pattern and flow being rng too often, some straight up bugs etc.

Ultimately it still felt fair but there was insanity inducing deaths. Even had a disconnect on a run where I’m crushing it on phase 2( really thought that was going to be the one), and I got kicked out of game.

All in all even if they change nothing it should drop one of the 6 giga uniques once for you. Even if it’s an “ok” roll.

Last edited:

Chronicle

Anybody on East Coast want to hook up and play evenings? I'm late 40's and chill.
Tired of gaming alone. Not too many friends. Wish there was a call button.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I have a question, does campaign progress saves for both players in local coop or not?

Freeman76

Sorc is weakest class.

For early leveling/campaign spam chain lighting.

50+ it’s tricky, ice shards will run out of mana (slot in frost bolt for mana return and replace blaze passive with glass cannon).

Firewall I haven’t played but it requires that you snapshot the damage.

Blizzard forget it, it’s aspect dependent - it’s more like a 80+ build.

Arc lash was nerfed but might be interesting for 50-70.
I hit a wall at 83 and just cant keep gping the way the game is right now. I have been OK with sorc up to this point but the lack of meaningful gear drops has me frustrated because I cant break 30 in the NM dungeons and cant find gear to help. It feels broken unless you use a cookie cutter build which I just dont want to do. Gonna wait til season drops now and play other shit

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I hit a wall at 83 and just cant keep gping the way the game is right now. I have been OK with sorc up to this point but the lack of meaningful gear drops has me frustrated because I cant break 30 in the NM dungeons and cant find gear to help. It feels broken unless you use a cookie cutter build which I just dont want to do. Gonna wait til season drops now and play other shit

The problem with playing the weakest class is either you go ham minmaxing or you just can't perform. I play often with a buddy who plays druid and his itemization is laughable but he just stomps everything. In this situation I made the choice to minmax and sure, I can sort of hold it there. Funny stuff beause of that I have more dex than willpower and willpower is supposed to be sorcerer secondary stat but guess what dex powers up the glyphs with crit damage, vulnerable damage, etc.

Seeking serious advice here: should I play this game?

I tried the most recent server slam and found the game boring. I played for a few hours as a sorcerer. The combat was insanely easy, and I was absolutely drowning in rare items. I didn’t know or care for the story, but that was mainly because it was just a test run for me.

I don’t have any friends who play the game, so I’d be soloing, or playing with random online people (if that is a thing). I certainly had the impression that the game would be more fun with others. As it was, it just felt empty and boring.

Has the game changed since the server slam? Is it actually fun to play with random people? I woke up today with plans to start Red Dead Redemption 2, but after recently spending dozens of hours staring at dialogue and fetch quests in Final Fantasy 16, I may need a game that is actually a game.

Zheph

I tried the most recent server slam and found the game boring. I played for a few hours as a sorcerer. The combat was insanely easy, and I was absolutely drowning in rare items. I didn’t know or care for the story, but that was mainly because it was just a test run for me.

I don’t have any friends who play the game, so I’d be soloing, or playing with random online people (if that is a thing). I certainly had the impression that the game would be more fun with others. As it was, it just felt empty and boring.

Has the game changed since the server slam? Is it actually fun to play with random people? I woke up today with plans to start Red Dead Redemption 2, but after recently spending dozens of hours staring at dialogue and fetch quests in Final Fantasy 16, I may need a game that is actually a game.
Enjoy RDR2 alto you might end up disappointed too with how things stands

and the loot rate was much higher during the server slam for people to have some fun with it

I read the last few pages and apparently this game doesn’t have an in-game LFG dungeon-finder type thing?

Also, the standard version of the game is $95 (CAD), so… yeah. Far too risky of a purchase. Too bad it doesn’t have a demo.

Salz01

Overall, I like the game. But lots of the environments feel and look the same so it makes grinding a chore. And the loot drops seems inconsistent. I get yellows that improve my overall stats compared to legendaries that I get. Tier 4. It’s a good game to play every once in awhile but not every day. Not sure yet If the seasons will help with that yet.

Zheph

Overall, I like the game. But lots of the environments feel and look the same so it makes grinding a chore. And the loot drops seems inconsistent. I get yellows that improve my overall stats compared to legendaries that I get. Tier 4. It’s a good game to play every once in awhile but not every day. Not sure yet If the seasons will help with that yet.
you know you can turn those yellows into legendaries by impriting them

quest

Not Banned from OT
you know you can turn those yellows into legendaries by impriting them

Yeah it seems legendarys are to get aspects to imprint on yellows. The legendary drop rate is so low it makes the odds of finding a good one rare. When half the nm dungeons i run have zero legendarys outside the reward for completion there is an issue.

Antwix

found the game boring.
insanely easy,
I didn’t know or care for the story
I don’t have any friends who play the game, so I’d be soloing
it just felt empty and boring.
What are you doing here then? Not trying to be rude but it seems like you don't like literally anything about the game. Just move on. If it still somewhat interests you in the future, check it out then when it's on sale or when the expansion comes out.

Last edited:

Orbital2060

What do you expect people to tell you? Its Diablo. Probably some videos on youtube explaining how to play Diablo.

But if youre into dark fantasy D&D, and/or have a thing for From games and figuring out a lot of stuff on your own, youre probably good with the game. Its on par with the Dark Souls and Elden Ring, for me. In terms of visual aesthetics, and game design. I mean this game Diablo 4, and not Diablo in general. It wasnt given that it was going to be this good, I had my doubts. After Diablo 3. But the team nailed it imo, and went above and beyond just making a sequel. They basically remade Diablo without breaking anything.

The campaign is also really good, but it - and the 50 first level-ups - are basically an introduction or tutorial to the real game which is all about gearing up and climbing tiers and beating tougher content post-50. If youre after something more narrative driven maybe this is not your thing, although there are a ton of sidequests and stuff to read around the world, for narrative context.

What are you doing here then? Not trying to be rude but it seems like you don't like literally anything about the game. Just move on. If it still somewhat interests you in the future, check it out then when it's on sale or when the expansion comes out.
I was hoping that the game was only easy/boring because it was the “server slam”, and not representative of the final game. I didn’t pay attention to the story also because it was a test version.

But, yes, I am going to move on. I read the previous ten pages, and it seems the game is still an easy and empty treadmill. I’m sure I would really enjoy playing through the campaign, but that doesn’t seem worth $110 with tax.

Orbital2060

I was hoping that the game was only easy/boring because it was the “server slam”, and not representative of the final game. I didn’t pay attention to the story also because it was a test version.

But, yes, I am going to move on. I read the previous ten pages, and it seems the game is still an easy and empty treadmill. I’m sure I would really enjoy playing through the campaign, but that doesn’t seem worth $110 with tax.
I didnt play the server slam, but the game has been nothing like that.

Antwix

Perhaps the next best thing besides a demo.... game pass. Now that the msft deal will most likely be going through you can pick up a 1 month game pass sub and try it out in the coming months (or next year).

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I have a question, does campaign progress saves for both players in local coop or not?
Only if you and the party leader (the game you join) are on the same main line quest.

If you join a friends game that is on an act 3 main line quest, but you still doing the act 2 main line quests, you can play through their quest with them but you would not benefit.

Same for your friend: if they are in act 3 and join your game which is running act 2 quests, they can help you complete them but will not gain the benefit completing them again.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Anybody on East Coast want to hook up and play evenings? I'm late 40's and chill.
Tired of gaming alone. Not too many friends. Wish there was a call button.

Im on eurojank timezone but we can hook up weekends.

I also know quick-ish ways to find people, i'll show you.

Top Bottom