• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV |OT| Blessed Mother... Save Us

Zheph

Just got a question
How's the item progression in Diablo 4? I mean is there a need for yellow items or does it focus on Legendary and Unique items after some time, i mean the optimal gameplay loop would be yellow item then a better Legendary and then after some time the yellow item draws level with the old Legendary and so forth.
Yellows items are useless in endgame since the latest season

cormack12

Gold Member
Just got a question
How's the item progression in Diablo 4? I mean is there a need for yellow items or does it focus on Legendary and Unique items after some time, i mean the optimal gameplay loop would be yellow item then a better Legendary and then after some time the yellow item draws level with the old Legendary and so forth.
Generally you'll just swap out as levelling.

Uniques are usually build defining, so you use uniques to either boost a build you're using, or when a good one drops respec into it if its top tier.

From this season, rares have become a bit more worthless as they only have two rolls. And they remain at two rolls even when imprinted to a Legendary.

Native legendaries drop with three rolls so have an extra affix for power boost or to reroll.

Then you're looking for ancestral legendaries with greater affixes rolling on uniques. So your gear creep (with assumed affixes) looks like:

Rare -> Rare upgrade to Legendary/Sacred Rare -> Sacred Rare upgrade to Sacred Legendary -> Native Sacred Legendary -> Ancestral Legendary (1ga to 3ga) -> Unique (4ga)

1 temper slot
2 temper slots
Cannot be tempered

I think that's right, someone weigh in if it needs correcting, haven't played in like 7 weeks.

Last edited:
FuLBvpB.jpeg

Happy Season 9 GIF by The Office

cormack12

Gold Member
Awesome graphics on the Fell Council. Do i have to replay campaign to experience the new Season Questline?
As long as you have completed the campaign once, you can skip it when you create a seasonal character.

If you want to create a hardcore seasonal, then you need to have completed the campaign on hardcore too.

amigastar

As long as you have completed the campaign once, you can skip it when you create a seasonal character.

If you want to create a hardcore seasonal, then you need to have completed the campaign on hardcore too.
Yep, i know but i was asking about the seasonal questline which is a few quests long.

Last edited:
Sorry to ask another dumb question but uh, what happens to my character when the new season starts? All this gear and shit I’ve spent 100+ hours getting is just gone to the eternal realm and not usable in the new season? Is this correct?

I assume the pit and rifts work the same in both realms?

Guess I will stop farming pits to finish master working all my stuff 😔

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Sorry to ask another dumb question but uh, what happens to my character when the new season starts? All this gear and shit I’ve spent 100+ hours getting is just gone to the eternal realm and not usable in the new season? Is this correct?

I assume the pit and rifts work the same in both realms?

Guess I will stop farming pits to finish master working all my stuff 😔
You need to reprogram your mind on how these kinds of games work.

It isn’t meant to be a game where you build one character once and then keep layering onto them with new activities and challenges, or an infinite grind.

It’s meant to be a seasonal game. Every season you go in with a new character or two, and get back to max level. Along the way they’ll have new challenges, new activities, etc to try new builds and new ways to engage with that experience.

Typically a vast end game would exist to flesh out these seasonal activities. However, this game hits a fat wall at end game without much to do.

Games like path of exile and last epoch begin when you reach end game. Diablo still hasn’t fleshed theirs out enough,

amigastar

You need to reprogram your mind on how these kinds of games work.

It isn’t meant to be a game where you build one character once and then keep layering onto them with new activities and challenges, or an infinite grind.

It’s meant to be a seasonal game. Every season you go in with a new character or two, and get back to max level. Along the way they’ll have new challenges, new activities, etc to try new builds and new ways to engage with that experience.

Typically a vast end game would exist to flesh out these seasonal activities. However, this game hits a fat wall at end game without much to do.

Games like path of exile and last epoch begin when you reach end game. Diablo still hasn’t fleshed theirs out enough,
Really? How's the endgame in Last Epoch, is it good?

DavidGzz

I don't agree starting with this next season. People have played D2 for decades when all it had was boss runs. It was just really tough to max out a characters level. People will hate it(casuals) but I think it needs to take a lot longer to max your level in D4. D3 was addictive because of the endless Paragon leveling. It needed a cap of 2k to stop the bots from taking over but getting to 2k paragon takes A LOT longer than it takes to get to 100 in D4.

Anyway, D4's endgame is pretty meaty now.
1. Uber bosses
2. World bosses
3. Hell tides
4. Legion events
5. Infernal Hordes
6. Nightmare Dungeons
7. Whispers
8. The Pit

Again, I think it needs to take longer to max out your level. Playing in hopes of incrementally better loot alone, isn't as fun IMO. Starting a new class is more fun but then getting to 100 with a second character also doesn't take too long. Once I max out my favorite two classes, I am pretty much done with a season. It needs more paragon levels. Not infinite, but I'd say 200 and the last 50 should take a long time.

niilokin

I feel like I want to play Diablo4 but there's so much shit happened since I last played last summer and new shit keeps coming fast that I simply feel I've fallen behind so badly and that prevents me from picking it up again :messenger_downcast_sweat:. Same thing has happened with WoW, ESO... they've become so utterly overwhelming for me.

DavidGzz

I feel like I want to play Diablo4 but there's so much shit happened since I last played last summer and new shit keeps coming fast that I simply feel I've fallen behind so badly and that prevents me from picking it up again :messenger_downcast_sweat:. Same thing has happened with WoW, ESO... they've become so utterly overwhelming for me.

It's pretty simple still. Just do your thing. Jump into Hell Tides, pick up loot. You'll get manuals that allow you to put buffs on loot with the blacksmith. It really isn't crazy like PoE.

niilokin

Yeah but just knowing I've missed a lot of different seasonal rewards and achievements makes me feel conflicted about this game.

cormack12

Gold Member
Yeah but just knowing I've missed a lot of different seasonal rewards and achievements makes me feel conflicted about this game.
There are no season specific achievements (xbox/ps5) and seasonal rewards are only cosmetics. You quickly build up a back catalogue anyway. Everyone will be running the new VoH cosmetics probably anyway in S6

Some of the best cosmetics are store bought too and tbh you only really get to see your char properly on the loading screens. Most will be wearing the s5 cosmetics in s5 which you will have access to.

We've all just had a big reset with Loot 2.0 anyway.

Mossybrew

Huh, I guess I didn't realize there would be a whole other season before the xpac but I guess the timing makes sense. Took another break after getting a couple characters to 100 this season, wonder if I should bother with the next or if it would just burn me out before going into Vessel of Hatred.

niilokin

The cosmetics are another really bad rabbit hole for me, something that fucks me up in Retail wow alot, one of the reason I prefer classic because theres no transmog :messenger_beaming:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Finally bought the game along with upcoming expansion and started playin'. Where's my standard warrior, where's my amazon and where's crusader from Diablo 3? Jesus Christ, wtf is this in my Diablo?

u5BEXo3.jpeg

jim-carrey-scared.gif

Why can't I change body complexity, weight and height and be forced to play as a giant barbarian or a fat druid (not fat shaming here, I'm just TOTALLY not a fan)? Why is the skinny necromancer the best looking character (aside from sorcerer and rogue) which happens to have a melee option along with necro shit?

euzNcjQ.jpeg

LitjrYN.jpeg

I mean, necromancer looks hot af and it's nice to try something different (I never played as necromancer before) but... damn, I'd love to play as amazon or a crusader again as well.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Man buys game with no research done then complains.

Neat.
Those are not complaints, more like personal preferance and features that frankly should be in the game if you can create your own character and not locked out of it:messenger_relieved:

If anything, it'll make me try out other classes (fuck Druid though) I haven't played before (I'm not into magic only characters for example). Also, I've seen reviews of the launch version and knew what'll be in the game at that point, I just thought that maybe they added more classes since then and since I could't buy it until now, I haven't done any research cuz there was no reason to.

I love what they did with the The Spiritborn class, but I hope they'll add more traditional classes as well with future expansions (if there'll be any after Vessel of Hatred).

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Based on the intro, it doesn't seem they listened to the suggestions that the boons and banes in the PTR were not fun and should be changed.

cormack12

Gold Member
Into the meat now, at least the compasses won't be a crazy grind. I do wonder how builds without a strong AoE skill will fair though

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I play mostly magic classes, but was CC a big issue for barb/assassins for the past few seasons? The potion proc changes seem to negate making builds that minimize CC or at least make the skills that grant unstoppable/break cc less valuable (over simplification here) if I can just pop a potion when I am cc'ed.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
100% rewards in the pit finally.

They solved these issues in Diablo 3 greater rifts. There's no excuse why they copy D3 rifts and have it be an inferior version with all of the early flaws that D3 greater rifts had in the beginning.

cormack12

Gold Member
I play mostly magic classes, but was CC a big issue for barb/assassins for the past few seasons? The potion proc changes seem to negate making builds that minimize CC or at least make the skills that grant unstoppable/break cc less valuable (over simplification here) if I can just pop a potion when I am cc'ed.
I think it was more CC into CC, or CC into AoE/poison was a cheap one shot in higher NMD.

At lower levels it will probably be as you say. At higher levels, it will give players a chance to manage out of a OHK

amigastar

I haven't played it myself but from what i've read is that Paragon Boards are pretty boring right now, is that true?
I play Last Epoch and the skilltree for skills changes effects on them dramatically, so thats the right way to do it.

Top Bottom