• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Cyberpunk turn out to be the game you thought it would be after its reveal? If not, what is missing/different?

cormack12

Gold Member
 Reveal

E3 Trailer

In hindsight the first trailer is meant to be a woman cyberpsycho.

The second trailer made me think that the world would be much more interactive, with lots of NPC events (like what you'd find in Assassin's Creed, GTA V, Watch Dogs etc)

I also wasn't really expecting the whole Breach, Ping mechanics and was really hoping for 3rd person. I also thought there would be a lot more idle/timeout events for your character to experience.

Thoughts?

Sentenza

Well, as you pointed out yourself, interactivity is the first big aspect that failed to show up. I kinda wanted a "Deus Ex on a larger scale" but what we got was a game too concerned with being cinematic to bother being interactive.

That aside, I also expected the game to resemble at least remotely the Cyberpunk ruleset... Which it absolutely does NOT.
Starting precisely with the fact that Cyberpunk was famously a level-less system and instead of embracing that aspect CDPR ruined what was the perfect fit for a non-linear open world game and turned it in the usual level-scaled "gamified" drivel with tons of trash loot to filter at any given moment, like the worst looter shooter.
Incidentally exactly the type of game I like the least.

Last edited:
i'm not sure that I've ever seen that teaser trailer before (i don't remember it at all). afa the other trailer? pretty much yes. maybe not exactly, but certainly close enough. & i've played it twice & love it...

Last edited:

Verchod

I don't remember the original reveal. I remember the gameplay trailer from 2018 or whenever it was. I really enjoyed that. I am rather disappointment the Jackie want in the story for longer. I hoped he was there all the way through. Shame.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
it’s a great game….now. At launch it crashed my PS5 a few times and I could not be dealing with it. Still would have liked it to be 3rd person but it did turn out to be a great FPS after a couple of dozen patches 😂

HL3.exe

Nope, It looked visually spectacular but I expected it to be closer to a Deus Ex, and with reason because they talked big game about Deus Ex, System Shock and 2000s Starbreeze games as inspiration. But I always had doubts if they'd manage it because of their lack of ImSim experience. Guess my gut feeling was right.

Their simulation is severely lacking and no real emergent problem solving was possible. The only thing they sorta manage was the 'different ways in' approach, but it was minimal at best and only possible in gigs.

But, I was pleasantly surprised about the character ark writing in some places.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I don't remember the original reveal. I remember the gameplay trailer from 2018 or whenever it was. I really enjoyed that. I am rather disappointment the Jackie want in the story for longer. I hoped he was there all the way through. Shame.
Excited Jackie GIF by Cyberpunk 2077

Spoilers bro 😂

I had high expectations of it, they were not quite met however it's still in my top 10 games of all time. There is no game to this date that can match its atmosphere and character interactions. For all the praise it gets theres not a single character in Baldurs Gate 3 that can even match Jackie and he's like 15% in the game, let alone the main characters like Panam and BG3 is barely in my top 30.

I had no interest in the game. It went on sale dirt cheap, so I bought it. Turns out I really like it, but I started playing it at the worst time and never got around to actually starting the game. I did just about every side quest I could before starting the first mission. I'm way OP now which has made the game a lot of fun..

Guilty_AI

I really don't get why people liked Jackie that much. He was fine but, he never struck me as a particularly interesting character. Just generic gangsta best friend that'll totally live through the main story and not die tragically for some dramatic effect and drive the point life is worthless in the setting.

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
That aside, I also expected the game to resemble at least remotely the Cyberpunk ruleset... Which it absolutely does NOT.
Starting precisely with the fact that Cyberpunk was famously a level-less system and instead of embracing that aspect CDPR ruined what was the perfect fit for a non-linear open world game and turned it in the usual level-scaled "gamified" drivel with tons of trash loot to filter at any given moment, like the worst looter shooter.
Incidentally exactly the type of game I like the least.
You know this is a fantastic point that doesn't get brought up nearly enough.

What makes VTMB continue to at least feel unique 20 years on and what made BG3 unique was the approximation of the table top rules. Why on earth are you even doing a TTRPG adaptation if you're not going to borrow from the mechanics model?

I never played the tabletop game myself, but I remember being so enticed by the idea of bringing that into the game. On many levels, they did not do that.

SnapShot

I liked it, no other game made me care about its world and characters as much as Cyberpunk did, and it feels much more cohesive now than it did on launch and has become actually enjoyable gameplay wise, especially with so much of the promised missing content brought back. Not to mention this is probably the only game that does Cyberpunk on this big open world scale. Sure it's no Deus Ex but I don't think it was ever trying to be that.

Mortisfacio

At launch, the main thing "missing" for me was netrunning. This became more what I expected with the 2.0 patch overhaul.

From a world standpoint, it exceeded my expectations. The verticality is superb at a scale I've never seen before in a game. The little immersion pieces like corpos jumping from buildings and splattering on the ground. The scummy alleyways. It's all so well done. The voice acting is often really great as well with the adult themes I expected. Early on, that gig to get the BDs of children for snuff films and putting an end to that. Finding the father and son editing them and then if you shoot the son, the scream of agony from the father. It's all so well done and is what I expected from CDPR.

My #1 complaint in the game is some animation jank. They built this amazing world that's so immersive, then someone t-poses by you.

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
Their simulation is severely lacking and no real emergent problem solving was possible. The only thing they sorta manage was the 'different ways in' approach, but it was minimal at best and only possible in gigs.
I remember ACG's review of the launch game where he basically said that he was sick of the stealth-or-guns-blazing approach, because every game does it. Cyberpunk doesn't even do it particularly well. It can be argued that Watch Dogs 2 exceeds it in stealth/hacking mechanics.

I also remember all the chatter around the classes before they narrowed the scope of the game. In the final game, they have this really non-commital fluid class model where they dabble into Netrunner and Techie (?), and go hard into the most animu overpowered interpretation of Solo.

Probably because of the "scope" being an first person open world game as opposed to a CRPG, it was unrealistic to expect to be able to manipulate your way through the story as a Corpo, or solve mysteries as a Media Nightcrawler style. But it's pretty lame that all the potential got pushed to the wayside for less well designed Eidos-Deus Ex.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
thought it would bee the best ever and it was one of the worst im sorry my friends i must speek fact buuuuuut did nort play phatom liberties so maybe got better

5cV.gif

Ozzie666

Not exactly a FF14 Realm Reborn turnaround, but pretty impressive turnaround. Not for only the game, but for the companies reputation and customer trust. I hope they scared themselves shitless and never do it again.

Raven117

A great game. But it didn’t quite capture the magic of Witcher 3.

It’s quite excellent in many ways.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Still haven't played through the thing because I've been waiting (forever, apparently) to build a new PC first. Even so, the game seems to be a lot... dustier than I would've imagined. The desert areas threw me for a loop. I was expecting something that felt more urban. More Deus Ex 1-ish across the board, really.

That said, I do still fully intend to play it.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It wasn't what they promised. The early videos explaining what it would be turned out to be smoke in a lot of ways. But after the patches it turned out well enough.

sigmaZ

With the latest updates it feels mostly like a decent game but I still needed to add mods to fully imprive the experience. My mind was never blown at anypoint though.

mrcroket

In my case it's a game that I played expecting to be disappointed, after seeing the amount of content not included, bugs, poor performance... And in fact at the beginning I was critical with it, but as I was playing it, I felt more and more invested in its world and especially its characters.

It's a game that has many flaws, but the things it does well it does so well that makes the experience worthwhile, having become one of my favorite games.

kunonabi

Obviously the stuff they promised was nowhere to be found but in the long run it was yet another first person western RPG I've played a dozen times. Sure, the voice acting was pretty good but still not some life changing experience one way or the other.

It wasn't as awesome at launch but over the years after numerous updates it finally reached and surpassed what I expected it to be. It's one of my favorite games of all time and with PC mods it's the game that never stops giving me entertainment.

Rockondevil

Yeah I got mostly what I expected.

Biggest downside for me was I couldn’t make my lady dick as big as I wanted.
I swear before release they showed you being able to make a massive wang.

Pimpbaa

I like the gameplay, story, characters, music and graphics. But even with the expansion it’s still short on content when compared to The Witcher 3. Plus the obvious launch issues. I played it on my ps4 pro after it got a bit patch to fix a lot of its problems, but man it will still rough. Even on my 2TB SSHD I had installed, it still struggled to load in textures. I dread to think what this game must be looked like on such a low tier console like the standard XB1.

Arachnid

I thought it was great at launch, though I was on a stronger system. Genuinely one of the best games I've ever played. Fun gameplay, amazing characters that feel real, great dialogue, and a fantastic nihilist story that captures the themes of the cyberpunk genre perfectly.

Now, with all the updates and 10/10 expansion? God tier game. I personally preferred it to Witcher 3. The only things that could have made it better for me was it being third person and new game plus. I think I'll come back to it for decades. I never want to leave to world.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Yeah, that 2018 40 min gameplay cut got folks excited and then the game never delivered.

There is almost no interactivity in the city. Most quests post excellent first big quest are quite linear. Life paths content was cut.

They were promising a mix of immersive sim with open world RPG and we got an action adventure game with RPG elements. Mind you, it’s a a great game for the genre but not what they promised and was hoped for.

Also, I really dislike the itemization and loot systems in the game. IMO, that was made worse by “streamlining” armor in 2.0.

RPS37

I was just about to make a RTTP thread. I bought The collectors edition Xbox one x at launch and just finished the tutorial the other day.
Game is tits.

Boss Mog

For me, who waited to play it until the native PS5 version was released, it far exceeded my expectations and is without a doubt the best game I've played. I also consider Phantom Liberty the best DLC add-on ever made.

The main game is mostly great but the DLC is extremely lame, especially in the character and story department.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Using the 2018 gameplay premiere in the OP would make way more sense to see how much the end product had to do with the game they claimed to be making back then, at least on release.

The game needed 3 more years of dev time, clear as day by the time of Phantom Liberty.

mrabott

I found Cyberpunk boring. The world is vast and beautiful, but I found it empty. I didn't like the main story, I missed really interesting side quests like those found in The Witcher 3, and honestly I didn't buy the aesthetics.
And I wish V hadn't died at the end. I know it's a creative choice by the creators but I didn't like it.

Boss Mog

I found Cyberpunk boring. The world is vast and beautiful, but I found it empty. I didn't like the main story, I missed really interesting side quests like those found in The Witcher 3, and honestly I didn't buy the aesthetics.
And I wish V hadn't died at the end. I know it's a creative choice by the creators but I didn't like it.
There's many different endings and V doesn't die in all of them, granted there are no "happy" endings though. But that's actually the point.

In Cyberpunk, Night City is the main character and while some may rise within Night City, they will all eventually get chewed up and spit out. The Edgerunners anime is further proof of this. If you try to make it big in Night City, there will never be a happy ending for you.

ahtlas7

The reveal trailer didn’t set my expectations for much as it was just a video designed to make our brains imagination dance. However, I was really hoping for a Deus Ex / Yakuza / GTA style mashup. I finally finished it recently and in some ways it exceeded my hopes and some ways no. There is no denying it’s a technical marvel on pc .

Filben

Using the 2018 gameplay premiere in the OP would make way more sense to see how much the end product had to do with the game they claimed to be making back then, at least on release.

The game needed 3 more years of dev time, clear as day by the time of Phantom Liberty.

I wish there were more 3rd person cutscenes. Why do I create every wrinkle of my character to only see it in the inventory or those three scripted mirrors. You couldn't even see your character in other reflective surfaces even with ray tracing on until recently.

Fess

Wasn’t exactly what I hoped for but was still my GOTY 2020. Still need to play Phantom Liberty but I needed a break after a couple hundred hours in the base game.
Interactivity is bad and world physics is needed and people walking predefined A-B walk paths at launch was distracting. But I still enjoyed it a ton, was the most immersive first person game I had played outside of VR, having control and no cuts during conversations and how characters move around and look at you is still impressive.

Probably the best game I've ever played.

I'm in love with the world of Cyberpunk but I don't think it got accurately translated.

Night City wasn't dense enough. It was too clean and bright. The city was huge but was missing the verticality that would be expected from and interconnected metropolis.

I hope CPDR takes inspiration from The Ascent for the sequel.

Still, it's a masterpiece.

Top Bottom