• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did GAF pass on Outlaws because it was woke?

Why didn’t you buy Outlaws?

• Total voters

Psychostar

I personally didn't find the game interesting. What they showed didn't pull me in or make me feel excited at all. It felt like they tried to give us a 'Han solo' adventure but whilst he is a loveable character, what made me watch star wars movies were the Jedi and Sith fighting off. I don't actively avoid Ubisoft or anything with a hint of wokeness. I feel like the poll is biased as there's no option for that says you were just unimpressed with what they created. I don't really give a damn if there is a woke character to check a tick box if it's a good game. Simply put, this just didn't feel it was worth my money, or made for me as a star wars fan.

I love the Star Wars: Jedi Survivor series and can't wait to see how Kal Kestis' adventure ends. Both games were stellar and showed off the version of Star Wars that I personally connect with most as a fan. Kal is a cool guy and his teammates are a fair bunch overall.

Outlaws feels like a bunch of guys used AI to collate all the things that fans might be familiar with posting memes about online about Star Wars and tossed them in a salad bowl together.
Jedi Survivor on the other hand feels more like the movies I grew up loving.

I don't want to see a woman pretend to be Han Solo for 30 hours. I know that's not going to be fun or feel authentic. So I guess I did avoid it because it was woke.

The worst thing about wokeness in games is not the gender or race-swapping - it's all the stuff that comes with it. You just know the story is going to suck, the men aren't going to act like men, the women aren't going to act like women, everything's going to be super safe and sanitized with absolutely no edge or bite to it.

Radical_3d

Do you always introduce yourself as rightwing: “Hi, I’m Pat and I’m rightwing…” honestly.
I have a warning for saying left leaning things so I wanted to be sure we’re all in the same page. I love my GAF account, it’s been pretty entertaining now that I expend some idle time for personal reasons.

Zathalus

Woke is not a problem, BG3 would be classified as woke by most and yet the game sold amazingly well and is fantastic. The problem with Outlaws is that it is buggy, mediocre game.

Burger

One thing I noticed while trying to play this the other day. I just didn't care about what was going on.

There is a weak plot line that you need to 'assemble a crew' - one of them you need to break out of a prison. There is only one person in the galaxy that could 'pull this off' - which is really fucking weak as a motivation. Then after you break them out - you have to go back in to steal some shit or blow some shit up. Kay just goes 'yeah, sure whatever' but any sane person concerned with keeping their head on their shoulders would have said 'fuck that, you do it bitch'.

The writing and plot points are not good enough.

Roberts

None of the above. I don’t give a damn if a game is woke - that shit don’t trigger me. I also don’t mind Ubisoft.

I didn’t buy it yet because I have other games to play and will get it when it drops in price because their games always do relatively soon after the release.

Blasphemy, I know, but I think the protagonist looks fine and her appearance seems to fit her character.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Is it woke? I'm not sure. Yeah, the main character isn't super attractive, but that in and of itself isn't necessarily "woke".

Either way, I skipped it because it seemed rushed and mediocre.

Quezacolt

1- prefer to play as force users in star wars games
2- don't like how the main character looks
3- online connection required to even install the physical copy
4- only thing i want from ubisoft is a new splinter cell, ans long as rhey dont fuck it up

TheCed

I'm left leaning.

The Woke VS Anti Woke stuff got old for me so it doesn't affect me at all.

I didn't buy it because it's Ubisoft and because Disney Star Wars lost all of its appeal to me.

ahtlas7

Gold Member
He may play hockey for all you know.
Ice Hockey Sport GIF by NHL

Top Bottom