• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did GAF pass on Outlaws because it was woke?

Why didn’t you buy Outlaws?

• Total voters

Drake

Star Wars is dead to me which is why I never considered buying it, but them making the main character ugly, especially when the actress who they modeled her after is amazingly beautiful really put the nail in the coffin.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It just looked bad and what they did to the character model is an insult to the actress.
There's no excuse, PS3 can generate a 1:1 there no excuse other then they did it purposely.
Which means they're something wrong with those people and I ain't supporting that.
If the game was really good I may have overlooked it but....they made it easy pass.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Reasons I did not buy:
  • Will be 75% off 6 months after release
  • Will be buggy/unfinished at release
  • Instant fail stealth in 2024
  • Weird looking main character
  • 1-hit KO by helmet punching storm troopers
  • Fear of things added for "modern audiences," like in so many other AAA games
  • My backlog is huge
Does that mean I didn't buy because "woke?" Guess you can be the judge.

simpatico

Shit I noticed insufferable wokeness in game stories since the 360 gen. Difference is, back then the games were mostly good enough to make the effort of head cannon worth it. If Outlaws was truly an intergalactic Red Dead I’d be playing it tonight and substituting my own story beats.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I didn't answer because it was rhetorical. But you're talking about the animations, not the believability of it. I agree the animation work is bad.

However, when it comes to criticizing the game, I think the "durrr da storm troopers have der helmets on" is a moronic thing to focus on. If I wanted low effort monkey brain takes on how bad Outlaws is I'd watch a Yellowflash video on YouTube.
I already explained in multiple topics why the game is mediocre at best but i quoted you on the animations so of course the discussion is gonna be about the animations...

I think that even if it's a secondary or even tertiary thing, takedown looking silly and out of place in a serious game that is all about immersion is still a flaw, and no, my question wasn't rethorical, it was the whole point of the discussion, the takedown in outlaws are so silly looking both in terms of animation and believability that are being called out by many people that nornmally don't give much fucks about takedown animations, how the fuck is this not relevant when something is so bad that people that normally don't criticize this stuff, start to criticize it? How can it be irrelevant?

You think people woke up in the morning and decided to collectively troll outlaws takedown for no reason? Think again.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
No I'm just calling it out for being stupid. Because it is.
Well like i said, i don't put much weight on the silly takedowns but i can see people not taking the game seriously because of that.

If the takedown are so silly, imagine the rest of the game, this is gonna be the line of thought of many people and sometimes a bad first impression is all you need and it's hard to shake off.

Last edited:
The game doesn't seem overly woke, at least not anymore so than the source material. I think there was a contingent of gafers that were just upset that the lead character wasn't bangable enough, that and the typical Ubi jank which seemed a little more noticeable in this one since it features more close combat encounters.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
I passed because Star Wars went to crap. Prequels weren't good, but you could kind of just ignore prequel era. Disney era completely ruined the lore such as it is. I also have the first Respawn Star Wars game sitting in my Steam collection from a cheap bundle, and it seems more appealing gameplay-wise so if I'm going to go for a Star Wars video game fix I'll start there and setting up Squadrons in VR.

Ugly character didn't help. A hot character wouldn't have made up the difference. And let's face it, the game is completely unimpressive outside of all that. It probably would have had to be a legit 9 out of 10 for me to try it out. Whereas in the past I'd go out of my way to play a Star Wars game even if it wasn't amazing, now it's like a 1 to 2 point handicap.

SyberWolf

i bought it but could not refund because the online retailer directly redeems the code to your ubisoft account.
trust me i wanted to refund it this turd.
last ubisoft game i buy until they get their shit together or until they sell their IPs or sony/microsoft buys them out.

Last edited:

kevboard

SW Outlaws looked like an absolute joke to me from the very first gameplay trailer they showed, and up until release it got worse and worse.

these kinds of games are just so devoid of creativity that it's actually exhausting for me to even look at gameplay of that trash

It was written by the same guy that wrote these... things from Farcry 6, which was enough for me to never want to touch it,
except for maybe on a very deep sale.
MKVHRQQ.jpeg

ByWatterson

Not exactly?

But wokeness blinded them from seeing the truly stupid nature of some of their creative decisions - a woman this size can't pull off combat of this kind. It robs me of the ability to suspend disbelief. As soon as I saw the stealth combat, I bounced from even thinking about it.

All they had to do was make her a beefcake rugby type.

Not exactly?

But wokeness blinded them from seeing the truly stupid nature of some of their creative decisions - a woman this size can't pull off combat of this kind. It robs me of the ability to suspend disbelief. As soon as I saw the stealth combat, I bounced from even thinking about it.

All they had to do was make her a beefcake rugby type.

Yeah, I'm sure that would have gone over real well. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Mr Hyde

I didn't buy it because I never buy Ubi games at launch and only when they are heavily discounted (if it's not something like Rayman, but Ubi has abandoned everything except open world slop). Outlaws being buggy and in a rough state made me even less excited. I'm sick and tired of these publishers trying to nickel and dime their customers to death, while releasing incomplete and glitchy messes that needs several months of updates. I don't really care about the appearance of Kay Vess, it's the least of this games issues if you ask me, but it is weird that devs hire beautiful actresses and then don't use their likeness in the games, instead completely altering it. Why hire them at all? If it were me, I would take that as an insult. It's such a weird thing to do. You can have beautiful women in games without sexualizing them, if that's the reason why devs does this.

Last edited:

Hookshot

Gold Member
Reasons I did not buy:
  • My backlog is huge
🤔

GymWolf

Gold Member
The game doesn't seem overly woke, at least not anymore so than the source material. I think there was a contingent of gafers that were just upset that the lead character wasn't bangable enough, that and the typical Ubi jank which seemed a little more noticeable in this one since it features more close combat encounters.
Oh believe me, It has all the tired woke troopes of modern gaming, like a checklist.
The protagonist is ironically enough, the less in your face woke thing about the game, she only look bad durimg cutscenes, ingame she is ok.

(Before you ask, yes i completed the game)

I bought and played the game. It was rather mediocre at best, even though I did enjoy some parts of it (Tatooine was beautiful and stealthing around imperial bases was fun, even space dog fighting was entertaining in small doses).

The "wokeness" isn't too bad in this title, I feel, and had little bearing on my enjoyment (or lack thereof). There was only one or two instances where some forced bit made me sigh. The main issue is just how dull all the characters are. It's the same as Starfield, the game is completely devoid of interesting characters and the writing is insanely bland. It's like these game studios can't tell exciting stories any more. There's no nail biting excitement, no surprises, no drama. Just one boring, milquetoast character after the other emoting vacuously to a rote script.

They poored so much energy into building a few fairly compelling worlds, but they populate these worlds with the galaxy's most boring characters.

Characters carry stories. Stories carry games.

Ubishit carries nothing and faceplants embarrassingly, having wasted yet another unfathomable pile of money.

VulcanRaven

It just didn't seem interesting. I don't consider a game being woke a bad thing.

Edit: I would have been more interested if you played as a Mandalorian. It doesn't have to be the one from the show.

Last edited:

Nydius

No voting option available for me. I need one that says:

"I 'rented' it for a month from Ubisoft+, then told people to wait for a deep, deep, deep sale because the game is mediocre af"

Wokeness has nothing to do with it. It's a horribly outdated game in both mechanics and storytelling, with typical paint-by-numbers Ubisoft design, and a terribly written narrative that only gets decent in the last 90 minutes to 2 hours. Problem is you have to slog through a dozen hours (at least) before reaching that point. And then you go through the world's most predictable plot twist at the end.

Lokaum D+

If u want me to play as a woman, at least give something to look at, thats why Tomb Raiders 3 IS the worst selling one of the Reboot trilogy.

wipeout364

If they had made the main character as good looking as the actress and had given her a playful/flirty personality it would have helped but honestly this Ubisoft game is just tired at this point. I would have probably bought it, but not at release because I know it will sit on my shelf and when I play it I will get bored and not finish.

It’s also the terrible PC writing at Ubisoft which has become very safe in the last few years.

Everything Ubisoft is just bland nowadays.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Reasons I did not buy:
  • My backlog is huge
Great recap.

And lucky you didn’t buy early access as they had a major bug on opening day patch where that said you had to start over as the early access saved files got corrupted. Lol.

Imagine someone pouring 5 or 10 hrs into early access gaming and had to start over. Lol

Nvzman

Ubisoft hasn't had a single game worth a damn since Rayman Legends in 2013. Rainbow Six Siege started off strong but modern Ubi design completely destroyed and butchered the shit out of it. There is no politics to those with a brain; Ubisoft just simply produces the most generic, bland crap in the entire industry at this point.

There's only so many times you can keep eating the same peanut butter and jelly sandwich before you want some actual variety and complexity in your diet.

Ammogeddon

I wasn’t aware of the game being woke. I didn’t buy it because Disney has ruined Star Wars so much I just don’t like the franchise anymore. Sad really, I used to love it.

It's not right wing here. It's just not overtly left wing. We are bombarded with so much crap that people are starting to see anything that isn't you typical self flaggilating left wing tripe as far right. If you just showed a picture of the main character in Outlaws to random people in the middle of Brazilian rainforest they would probably be confused as to why she looks like a lizard.

I voted for Ubicrap, but it’s really both, as either would have been sufficient reason. There are so many games I can play and limited time, so one reason to avoid is more than enough.

Which is consistent with the established lore in the saga. However, knocking out stormtroopers bare-handed is dumb and evidence of the devs' lazy effort. I'm not paying for that shit.

And jedis can open worm holes.... Doesn't mean getting smacked in the head with a helmet on should knocked out someone...

The should have had her use a pistol or something as a melee weapon on the stealth attacks, sure.

Top Bottom