• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digimon Community Thread |OT| For all the Digidestined on GAF

ash_ag

From Gematsu's twitter:

CUOYQHVUYAAsH2X.png:orig

A Direct Feed image of the DW1 looking protag.

Seems it's from the official website:

Again, from Gematsu.

This is making me feel so excited. Machinedramon's involvement in -next 0rder- had made me suspect there would be some connection with Digimon World 1, but I never expected to see Hiro make a return to the series.

Between this and tri., the Digimon series is managing to appeal to its older fans while still remaining innovative with its new games and an ambitious anime project. Kudos to Bamco for being so serious about it. They make me feel optimistic these efforts will resonate with fans.

Stuart444

At first I was like "YAAAAY!" then I was like "BOOO!" when I saw that UK was blocked.

Guess that I will have to watch it via other means.

If you have a premium account, just use CR unblocker (chrome add-on)

It's what I'm doing :)

(free accounts get it a week after on CR)

Stuart444

All 4 eps done. thoughts:

Plenty of daily life stuff which was nice.

Joe has a girlfriend but no one believes him

Lots of Koumi stuff.

Poor Joe studying too much/worried about his exam results and missed the final battle.

Evolution scenes are awesome.

Final battle was over too quick

I WANT MOAR :(

Also episode 1 spoiler about the 02 cast:

KskvrUh.jpg

Have a look :)

Another thing

Hackmon was spying a lot on Mei-chan. (cute name <3 ) it looks like. I wonder why...

Still don't know if this is going to be a Royal Knights thing or if it's just Alphamon being the big bad thing. We'll see.

Time to make theory regarding Hiro in Next Order... If that is him... I hope they arent trying to trick us. (Dont make him the villain...)

So he has Machinedramon? Considering it has red eyes, it looks like he has partnered with Analogman's Machinedramon. Analogman mentioned that Digimons are slaves to him, so I could easily see him ditch Machinedramon since it failed so many times. It would also makes Ow The Edge -version of Omnimon making more sense. Analogman created it to be exterminator.

As for the egg, it has green dots which is exactly as it is for Botamon in original Digimon World. Perhaps some sort of virus has infected it and it cant hatch? The egg has some sort of aura.

Even though we already knew, I still lost my mind when
Omegamon
appeared. Also, I hope the OST gets released somewhere, because those arranges are wonderful.

The fact that Toei is making this is pretty evident during some scenes, but it's nothing critical. Fight scenes more than made up for it.
I wish Omegamon vs Alphamon were longer though. :(

It is so good to have this back, I want more and I can't wait for the next film already.

about tri ep.1
somehow the new digivolution sequence feels a bit off for me
the fights are too silent... where the attack names being shouted at? I think only Togemon did that once in this episode
I dunno why they decided to make Alphamon silent during his debut. Might hurt his character
Also that one part where they're discussing stuff under the bridge... While Taichi & Yamato keep on bickering, Izumi just keep on talking.... to Tentomon probably hahaha.
That part where the others don't believe Joe has a girlfriend is nice, especially Takeru's line.

As I expected, it does feels a bit rushed due to change in plan (from standard tv to movie)

almost forgot...
KNIFE OF RAMEN>>>>>KNIFE OF DAY

Stuart444

about tri ep.1
somehow the new digivolution sequence feels a bit off for me
the fights are too silent... where the attack names being shouted at? I think only Togemon did that once in this episode
I dunno why they decided to make Alphamon silent during his debut. Might hurt his character
Also that one part where they're discussing stuff under the bridge... While Taichi & Yamato keep on bickering, Izumi just keep on talking.... to Tentomon probably hahaha.
That part where the others don't believe Joe has a girlfriend is nice, especially Takeru's line.

I think Alphamon was kept silent to make him more menacing. He just showed up, destroyed shit, got beat a little but still held his own and then left without a word.

Koushiro talking continuously was great, especially since he only stopped when Joe said he had a girlfriend haha.

I don't know if it was mentioned here yet, but
Meicoomon is going to be a free downloadable for Next Order.

I'm still not sure how I feel about her design, but it's cool to be getting new Digimon. I wonder if she'll have a gimmick.

Koushiro talking continuously was great, especially since he only stopped when Joe said he had a girlfriend haha.

That had to be one of my favorite parts, lol. The character moments in this were pretty great.

I like Tai's inner conflict though they need to tone down the flashback stuff.
I asked this in the other thread but it seems a lot of 02 has been retconned and I'm thankful for that.

I like Tai's inner conflict though they need to tone down the flashback stuff.
I asked this in the other thread but it seems a lot of 02 has been retconned and I'm thankful for that.

His inner conflict could have been handled better, imo. Towards the end, he seemed to be hesitating for the sake of hesitating. That flashback was used way too much.

As for retconning 02, it's hard to say. I think this plot can easily head towards "everyone gets a Digimon" and they seem to be setting up Taichi for his future job.

L.O.R.D

finished all 4 episodes

my god...the nostalgia is coming to me when they start brave heart
but they ruin it when
they mega evolve

WHY NO SPECIAL COOL CGI ON WARP DIGIVOLVE ?

also about the 3 rd episode
why they are pissed abut people complaining about the digimon ? the normal people don't know what is digimon and they thought they are all evil , so i can't get mad at them , the digidestined are overreacting

KageZero

finished all 4 episodes

but they ruin it when
they mega evolve

why they are pissed abut people complaining about the digimon ? the normal people don't know what is digimon and they thought they are all evil , so i can't get mad at them , the digidestined are overreacting

¸Well they are teenagers now so in a way it makes sense that they are quick to react.
I just didn't like how they executed the tensions between taichi and yamato. It was just too much forcing there in that scene they should have done that part a lot better. Besides that this was nostalgia factor pure. Cant wait for more of it

finished all 4 episodes

but they ruin it when
they mega evolve

If you see people come from a place of ignorance and saying things like they want your best friends, who saved everyone's asses multiple times, to die, it could get to you.

This could all be fixed with a good PR team.

¸Well they are teenagers now so in a way it makes sense that they are quick to react.
I just didn't like how they executed the tensions between taichi and yamato. It was just too much forcing there in that scene they should have done that part a lot better. Besides that this was nostalgia factor pure. Cant wait for more of it

I actually felt myself tuning out during their arguments. It was the worst part of Adventure and it's no better here.

L.O.R.D

something i didn't like in digimon overall

they enter from the screen , i still don't get it
wouldn't be better if they entered from input port like USB or Ethernet ?

in the episode they said phones are slow , better connect to a computer or a device the connected to the network

if we take that as info , in the past they should enter from LPT or PS2 or even VGA port

but now they want something faster, there is USB

something i didn't like in digimon overall

they enter from the screen , i still don't get it
wouldn't be better if they entered from input port like USB or Ethernet ?

in the episode they said phones are slow , better connect to a computer or a device the connected to the network

if we take that as info , in the past they should enter from LPT or PS2 or even VGA port

but now they want something faster, there is USB

I think it's an artistic thing mostly. I doubt much thought was put into it.
I think the phone comment was there to remind us this is still the early 2000's.

L.O.R.D

If you see people come from a place of ignorance and saying things like they want your best friends, who saved everyone's asses multiple times, to die, it could get to you.

This could all be fixed with a good PR team.

i will get annoyed at first of course , but then i know they don't know the truth
and it's gonna be hard explaining the truth to them
so it's better if i forget about it fast

KageZero

I actually felt myself tuning out during their arguments. It was the worst part of Adventure and it's no better here.

True but there at least from me was bearable, and in a way i liked the scene when yamato decided to confront taichi(talking about the original series)
Here it was really really badly executed and kind of ruined the moment for me. But besides that this was a awesome nostalgia ride i was happy and excited all the time, it think they pulled it very well in the end i hope they will stay at this level.
I was worried after watching the new DBZ reboot but looks like it was a good decision to go with this format. Cant wait for the next movie

L.O.R.D

My guess is
Alphamon is trying to kill the infected digimon,he wasn't interested to fight the digidestanced's digimon, he was after meikomon

Maybe after they know about it and defeat alphamon, they all will fell that they are wrong the whole time

And that mystery digimon will get all the data

Then ,Armageddemon will return

-Deimos

Kinda disappointed overall especially with the pacing. There's nothing going on for the majority of the episodes and when there finally is some action, it's completely rushed.

This was cool though:
T3pwqc2.gif

Mr-Joker

Banned
I just started laughing when
Jo said he had a girlfriend and none of the other kids believed him.

I also like how Tai is
struggling to to go all out as he's understands that while Digimon are awesome they are powerful and dangerous

I also support Izzy and Mimi shipping <(^_^)>

My complaints is that the fight scene seem rushed and the Digimon don't yell their attack, only Togemon did it.

But overall I enjoyed it and I can't wait for the next part...whenever that will be.

His inner conflict could have been handled better, imo. Towards the end, he seemed to be hesitating for the sake of hesitating. That flashback was used way too much.

As for retconning 02, it's hard to say. I think this plot can easily head towards "everyone gets a Digimon" and they seem to be setting up Taichi for his future job.

Yeah I got that feeling when Taichi was talking about is career.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
GUYS GUYS OMG GUYS!!! I know I said I was busy, but I just could NOT work through the day without seeing them. OMG it was awesome, endorphins ran high with just how AMAZING everything looked!! I mean, I was excited to see Sailor Moon Crystal as a big Sailor Moon fan, and Tri I was excited (as a HUGE Digimon fan) but with so much going on, I tried not to get too hyped. And now, part 1 has come and gone and wow.... I'm just glad it didn't suffer like Crystal did, which I admit, was a little worried on (cause Toei). But no, this surpassed every expectation I had^^

Thoughts on each ep:

Ep 1: Aha, the shipping triangle begins!! Also Takeru with another girl? Nononono :( Nice to see them start with the humans first, and it feels very Hosoda with the drama. Also, flip phones: I'm dumb, I wondered why they were using older tech, when I remembered that this takes place last decade >_> I noticed hints of Taichi becoming an ambassador.. Hmmm... Also, I'm surprised he was so reluctant to call on Agumon to help fight.

Ep 2: OMG that fight scene!!! (And heh, Jurassic Park t-rex sound bites as part of Kuwagumon's roars :p) Seeing Angemon off the bat with no restriction was amazing, and that Tailmon tag-team! Also, it's officially Biyomon, not Piyomon now? Also, the secret service has a very Hypnos feel to it^^

Ep 3: Jou has a girlfriend? Oh noooo my Joimi >_> Althought they were signs of Kouimi in there too... I guess we were right to look more into that cafe promo pic :p Also, darn they still dubtitle Tailmon as Gatomon >_> Boo. Same with Digidestined instead of Chosen Children. The digital space thing is really neat though.

Ep 4: Return of the goggles! Also darn, the worldwide Chosen Children are still a thing >_> Well, at least they kept Omegamon's name or else Alphamon vs Omnimon would've been silly. Meikuumon is too cute! I need to know more about them! Return of Taito too :p

It's weird hearing quiet fights instead of hearing them yell out their attacks. Some grunts or roars would've worked though, my only nitpick.

Arrrrg the wait till part 2 is going to kill me!

Mr-Joker

Banned
GUYS GUYS OMG GUYS!!! I know I said I was busy, but I just could NOT work through the day without seeing them. OMG it was awesome, endorphins ran high with just how AMAZING everything looked!! I mean, I was excited to see Sailor Moon Crystal as a big Sailor Moon fan, and Tri I was excited (as a HUGE Digimon fan) but with so much going on, I tried not to get too hyped. And now, part 1 has come and gone and wow.... I'm just glad it didn't suffer like Crystal did, which I admit, was a little worried on (cause Toei). But no, this surpassed every expectation I had^^

That's exactly how I felt, I was super excited to see Tri but at same time was worried that it wouldn't live up to how I feel about Adventure but nope it felt like that I have never been away.

Heck I got super excited when Agumon digivolved. :D

It's just the fight scene that I have the problem with and I hope that they are improved as the shows goes on.

HardRojo

On Episode 3 right now. One thing I seriously hated was Koushiro still talking like an idiot even though there a heated discussion going on right in front of him. I know he's supposed to be the geeky guy from the bunch who pays attention to his laptop and stuff, but that was really stupid. Ok, gonna keep watching.

Mr-Joker

Banned
On Episode 3 right now. One thing I seriously hated was Koushiro still talking like an idiot even though there a heated discussion going on right in front of him. I know he's supposed to be the geeky guy from the bunch who pays attention to his laptop and stuff, but that was really stupid. Ok, gonna keep watching.

I kinda liked that as it made the
Jo having a girlfriend have a bigger impact as it caught Koushiro's attention leaving his face speechless.

Plus Koushiro was always like that even in Adventure.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
That's exactly how I felt, I was super excited to see Tri but at same time was worried that it wouldn't live up to how I feel about Adventure but nope it felt like that I have never been away.

Heck I got super excited when Agumon digivolved. :D

It's just the fight scene that I have the problem with and I hope that they are improved as the shows goes on.

Digimon is my most nostalgic thing ever. Pokemon as well, but it's... different. Digimon surpassed it.

What's funny though, is seeing how great the animation was, is how silly this actually looks now:

But that's Koushiro, man! I thought it was endearing, especially since Tentomon's paying complete attention.

HardRojo

I kinda liked that as it made the
Jo having a girlfriend have a bigger impact as it caught Koushiro's attention leaving his face speechless.

Plus Koushiro was always like that even in Adventure.

But that's Koushiro, man! I thought it was endearing, especially since Tentomon's paying complete attention.

I know he's supposed to be socially awkward and everything but people were yelling in front of him. Not reacting to something like that has nothing to do with being socially awkward :/ It's just a minor thing but it really annoyed me.

-Deimos

Digimon is my most nostalgic thing ever. Pokemon as well, but it's... different. Digimon surpassed it.

What's funny though, is seeing how great the animation was, is how silly this actually looks now:

It looks silly when you compare them side by side, but I don't think I would have minded if they kept that style from the start.

I know he's supposed to be socially awkward and everything but people were yelling in front of him. Not reacting to something like that has nothing to do with being socially awkward :/ It's just a minor thing but it really annoyed me.

He just always gets really wrapped up in what he is doing, it has nothing to do with with social awkwardness.

Mimi got angry at him in Adventure for the same reason.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
It looks silly when you compare them side by side, but I don't think I would have minded if they kept that style from the start.

Well, when it was made everyone swooned over the new design. I get the intention from the poor images used for the promo piece, but I trusted in the director for the art style, and it worked :)

Oh, also who was looking for an import link for the Wizarmon statue? BiJ has it up here!

-Deimos

Well, when it was made everyone swooned over the new design. I get the intention from the poor images used for the promo piece, but I trusted in the director for the art style, and it worked :)

Oh, also who was looking for an import link for the Wizarmon statue? BiJ has it up here!

That's not how I remember it haha, at least I wasn't crazy over the new style. It looks great, I was just put off from the change. Not a huge deal in any case.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
That's not how I remember it haha, at least I wasn't crazy over the new style. It looks great, I was just put off from the change. Not a huge deal in any case.

I think a lot of people were in the whole change = bad camp. Considering how cheap Toei was with their big properties, this felt like a real step up. I really liked looking at the backgrounds, water, etc in it.

Honestly Koushiro stole the whole thing for me. Every scene he was in was great.

Koushiro gonna Koushiro.

I felt Mimi was pretty great as well, which is weird, because she never was one of my favorites before.

And I loved all the Digimon interactions too. Tailmon, Palmon, and Piyomon trying to discuss their types, lol.

Edit: People at the pre-movie show are saying part 2 will be in theaters March 12th. They also had a few other interesting tidbits... It regards the cover for part 2. I'll spoil it just in case.
"According to the pre-movie show, it has annouced that the 2nd chapter will be in theater March 12th, no photo is allow in that show. But the screen shows Mimi, Rozemon, Jou, Vikemon and Imperialdramon is on the cover.
(Above source are from two of my friends who are currently attending the Pre-movie meet greet Seiyu event right now. Since no photo allow so I only understood from what they wrote.)
So there you go 02 fans."
via Bokutachi

Always take things with a grain of salt until actual confirmation, but interesting nonetheless.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Edit: People at the pre-movie show are saying part 2 will be in theaters March 12th. They also had a few other interesting tidbits... It regards the cover for part 2. I'll spoil it just in case.
"According to the pre-movie show, it has annouced that the 2nd chapter will be in theater March 12th, no photo is allow in that show. But the screen shows Mimi, Rozemon, Jou, Vikemon and Imperialdramon is on the cover.
(Above source are from two of my friends who are currently attending the Pre-movie meet greet Seiyu event right now. Since no photo allow so I only understood from what they wrote.)
via Bokutachi

Always take things with a grain of salt until actual confirmation, but interesting nonetheless.

I figured Imperialdramon would show up at some point, cause Royal Knights. I REALLY hope they do show off the other Ultimates for once, because that would just be awesome to finally see^^ I think Holydramon is an awesome dragon Digimon, but we need Orphanimon in this, too.

If they hint to ANY Kenyako in the show... you'll be hearing about it on here. Just no. No. NOPE.

Oh and yeah I agree with Mimi. Was never a big Mimi fan, but she is adorable in this ep! How much she's grown from Adventure...

Stuart444

Edit:

Rosemon and Vikemon? AWESOME!!!! I foresee Warp Evolution scenes in the future and Joe finally getting in on the action.

Also about the name changes, I think CR went with the names that were used on the official english website which was Biyomon, Gatomon, Digidestined, etc. It's actually consistent.

Also yeah Mimi was never my favourite but I really like her in this <3.

Also I don't think we'll get
Ophanimon as much as I want her :(, Holydramon will happen.

edit: from WTW:

Various stores have put up pre-orders for part 2 of Digimon Adventure tri., titled Determination.

It will be released April 2nd, 2016.

It's listed as being 75 minutes.

There will be Amazon exclusive versions in both Blu-ray and DVD format.

The Amazon exclusive item will be a B2 size fabric poster.

Prices are going to be identical to tri. 1, 8000 yen for Blu-ray, 7000 for DVD.

Rest of it includes pre-order links and the bokutachi stuff already posted here about the theatrical release

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Also about the name changes, I think CR went with the names that were used on the official english website which was Biyomon, Gatomon, Digidestined, etc. It's actually consistent.

Yeah, I think it might be some of that contractual "you must use our names". Cyber Sleuth is dubtitled too in that sense. Just a small annoyance with what I hear isn't what I read :p

Oh and the plural of more than one Digimon being "Digimons" was kind of funny to see :p I can't really fault them too much though, and it was an amazing acquisition for them too!

Stuart444

Yeah, I think it might be some of that contractual "you must use our names". Cyber Sleuth is dubtitled too in that sense. Just a small annoyance with what I hear isn't what I read :p

Oh and the plural of more than one Digimon being "Digimons" was kind of funny to see :p I can't really fault them too much though, and it was an amazing acquisition for them too!

I think Toei just wanted to be consistent with the Digimon names but preferred the human JP names? Who knows. It was still fun.

Also the english subs for butterfly messed up a bit. it should be "toberusa On My Love" rather than "Oh My Love".

Even the JP subs from the Digifest concert where they sang the Tri rendition of Butterfly had it correct.

Small annoyance but not too big a deal obviously XD.

Also episode 1 thing:
I laughed at the guys trying to impress Hikari near the start. Guess she's popular with the guys as well :p

edit: I know some people say that the OVA feels like it should be episodes (as in left over from when it was episodic) but it doesn't to me. The way some of the episodes end feels like it shouldn't. Like it's meant to be feature length to me.

Also the op feels tacked on while the ending feels like it should be the ending of the whole OVA considering
Meiko and Mei-chan which is kinda a spoiler. Her getting a Digimon and being part of the team and all.

Also episode 3 stuff:
I thought it was cute how Mrs Yagami called Agumon and Tailmon "Tail-chan" and "Agu-chan". The parents are the best, I hope we see more from all the parents eventually :D

So it seems low quality poster for 2nd OVA got leaked?

This confirms:

Other children are getting their mega/ultimate forms. Gomamon gets Vikemon.

Imperialdramon will appear, most likely along with 02 gang. But it looks like Imperialdramon and maybe even 02 gang are infected By the virus?

Not sure if we should post the picture just yet here.

Stuart444

So it seems low quality poster for 2nd OVA got leaked?

This confirms:

Other children are getting their mega/ultimate forms. Gomamon gets Vikemon.

Imperialdramon will appear, most likely along with 02 gang. But it looks like Imperialdramon and maybe even 02 gang are infected By the virus?

Not sure if we should post the picture just yet here.

I'll repost this from the other thread but if the poster got leaked then I guess the "no one could take pictures off" part is outdated now XD:

End of episode 4 spoilers (scene after the credits):

Does anyone else get the feeling that Joe was watching the battle and opted to not go and instead to study due to his falling grades? That's the feeling I get, he chose studying over helping the team.

Also keep in mind, earlier on, he had said he had something to say which he never got the chance to during their meeting. Maybe that was "I won't be able to help out much" or something like that? Just food for thought. I have a feeling this is a character arc for him so while he didn't get much screen time during "Reunion", he will next time,
especially if the poster that no one could take pictures of for the next movie is correct.
Vikemon

edit: Just saw the leaked poster over on the usual Digimon fansite. So blurry but it looks like (spoilers but once the poster is shown publicly by Toei, it will be hard to avoid anyway):
Imperialdramon attacking Vikemon?

I'll repost this from the other thread but if the poster got leaked then I guess the "no one could take pictures off" part is outdated now XD:

End of episode 4 spoilers (scene after the credits):

Does anyone else get the feeling that Joe was watching the battle and opted to not go and instead to study due to his falling grades? That's the feeling I get, he chose studying over helping the team.

Also keep in mind, earlier on, he had said he had something to say which he never got the chance to during their meeting. Maybe that was "I won't be able to help out much" or something like that? Just food for thought. I have a feeling this is a character arc for him so while he didn't get much screen time during "Reunion", he will next time,
especially if the poster that no one could take pictures of for the next movie is correct.
Vikemon

edit: Just saw the leaked poster over on the usual Digimon fansite. So blurry but it looks like (spoilers but once the poster is shown publicly by Toei, it will be hard to avoid anyway):
Imperialdramon attacking Vikemon?

The conflict of choosing between helping and studying does seem to tie up with Joe's and even Gomamon's smaller appereance in first OVA. Mimi also had smaller appereance than others, so it would make sense for them to get spotlight for next time.

Whats that? Virus that infects Digimon? It makes them more violent?
Whats that? Imperialdramon looks like opponent?

Unless this is just a poster thing like Yamato sitting on Alphamons spear. :p

And on other different note
oh my god they are shipping and teasing too sooooo much. Takeru & Hikari being popular, Mimi x Koushiro, Joe having girlfriend, the yet(for now) subtle Tai/Sora/Yamato thing. But honestly I think the new character may get shipped wth Tai. It just feels like it. Im ready to predict that.

Top Bottom