• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digimon Community Thread |OT| For all the Digidestined on GAF

Stuart444

And on other different note
oh my god they are shipping and teasing too sooooo much. Takeru & Hikari being popular, Mimi x Koushiro, Joe having girlfriend, the yet(for now) subtle Tai/Sora/Yamato thing. But honestly I think the new character may get shipped wth Tai. It just feels like it. Im ready to predict that.

Haha, yeah, so much teasing. I wonder if it's on purpose to appease fans (I think fans in Japan also liked TakeruxHikari. Not sure about MimixKoushiro but in the west there is a big mix of MimixKoushiro and MimixJoe fans haha) or just to try and make them seem more like High Schoolers. High School people hanging out a lot, mix of guys and girls so obviously they may feel interested in the others >.> I don't know, just guessing.

As for the new girl, I think some people are being harsh on her. She hasn't had enough time to get actual development yet outside of being the shy new girl who shares the first 3 letters of her name with her Digimon XD. Mei-chan and Meiko ^_^. I feel like we'll get more development on her next OVA. Also yes it totally feels like she might be shipped with Taichi. But we'll see, we don't know much about her yet after all.

Haha, yeah, so much teasing. I wonder if it's on purpose to appease fans (I think fans in Japan also liked TakeruxHikari. Not sure about MimixKoushiro but in the west there is a big mix of MimixKoushiro and MimixJoe fans haha) or just to try and make them seem more like High Schoolers. High School people hanging out a lot, mix of guys and girls so obviously they may feel interested in the others >.> I don't know, just guessing.

As for the new girl, I think some people are being harsh on her. She hasn't had enough time to get actual development yet outside of being the shy new girl who shares the first 3 letters of her name with her Digimon XD. Mei-chan and Meiko ^_^. I feel like we'll get more development on her next OVA. Also yes it totally feels like she might be shipped with Taichi. But we'll see, we don't know much about her yet after all.

MimixJoe seemed slightly more fitting since they shared much more time togeher at the end of Adventure 1. I only remember MimixKoushiro having one episode for them? Maybe thats why Joe gets a girlfriend, to not make fans feel bad, haha.

I wasnt even bashing her, I just said I think she will be shipped :p. Currently Im still neutral for her. One thing I noticed, is Meikuumon still infected? Was it cured? If not, then couldnt that be possible plot point later.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
MimixJoe seemed slightly more fitting since they shared much more time togeher at the end of Adventure 1. I only remember MimixKoushiro having one episode for them? Maybe thats why Joe gets a girlfriend, to not make fans feel bad, haha.

That's why I prefer them: because they actually spent time together and bonded, and their opposite personalities seemed like a good fit, in the end.

woodland

Man - got so excited and so bored by this. Tai being so
worried about collateral damage felt beyond forced, while most of the dialogue also seemed lame.

Wasn't a fan of the digimon either. Was really good to see them back, but they barely talked - especially
Alphamon
. For how long he was there fighting, it didn't feel like he was ignoring them, it just felt like he was a monster that couldn't talk.

Man, I hope the second one is better. I loved parts of this, but overall it seems so messy. Hope we get to see some soccer at this point too.

Stuart444

I wasnt even bashing her, I just said I think she will be shipped :p. Currently Im still neutral for her. One thing I noticed, is Meikuumon still infected? Was it cured? If not, then couldnt that be possible plot point later.

I know you weren't, I just had to comment on that after seeing other comments about her being boring and stuff XD.

Also maybe Mei-chan (I love that name so I'm using it :p ) isn't infected but is related to the infection. Maybe even the cause? Unintentionally at least.

I'm more interested in what Hackmon was doing, spying and following Mei-chan. Lots of questions, almost no answers haha :(

Is it March yet?

Mr. RHC

I liked the first two episodes. Agumon is so cute! :3

I have pretty much forgotten everything Digimon Adventure, still nice to see the characters.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
So I Google image'd Meikuumon, to see that someone went crazy with the fan art prints for it (cell phone cases, coffee mugs, tshirts, etc), but the design used looks so incredibly off to the actual design :/

Bladenic

Taichi's bullshit was so annoying. Glad Matt/Yamato is still the best. Oh and Mimi-chan. But wtf at Joe being barely present, Gomamon didn't even get to evolve.

Also episode 4 had some weird cuts/editing, pretty sure there was a shot of Togemon laying down defeated in those quick cuts of the Digimon, but I don't think it was shown being attacked unless I missed it.

It was french, actually, but still really poor =p

That makes more sense :p

Think the subs said English, but that could just be Sora being wrong in-universe.

Also, while the animation is pretty solid, the sound design in the battles is pretty mediocre. Hits lack any auditory impact and the music choices are questionable at best.

This second fight at the airport is better, though.

Juanfp

In March is the next OVA? Why!!! It's a very long time.

Really like this first OVA, the battles were very cool and the sound was perfect.

Well...
This
pretty much confirms which megas the other children will get.

If it wasn't for the fact that
Tailmon is still shown as evolving to Holydramon in the 15th anniversary digivices, I'd agree with you. Her's is still up in the air. Hououmon, HeraklesKabuterimon, and Seraphimon are a shoo-in though.

Another interesting thing about that poster,
is that it shows the "weakest" on the team's Ultimates. It would be cool if Gomamon or Palmon get their's before the others.

JohnCYQ

If it wasn't for the fact that
Tailmon is still shown as evolving to Holydramon in the 15th anniversary digivices, I'd agree with you. Her's is still up in the air. Hououmon, HeraklesKabuterimon, and Seraphimon are a shoo-in though.

I dunno, with the whole
Hikari x Takeru, Angewomon x MagnaAngemon dynamic going on, it makes more sense that Angewomon is gonna get her more direct mega form.

Unless...
they're planning on introducing a new jogress evolution with Holydramon x Seraphimon, similar to the Alphamon x Owryumon jogress.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The eps didn't do for me but then again I don't really have a fondness for Adventure.

But holy shit the QUALITY. I mean, I know it's TOEI animation but it got a theatrical release!

Really the only good thing about it were WarGreymon's thighs.

I dunno, with the whole
Hikari x Takeru, Angewomon x MagnaAngemon dynamic going on, it makes more sense that Angewomon is gonna get her more direct mega form.

Unless...
they're planning on introducing a new jogress evolution with Holydramon x Seraphimon, similar to the Alphamon x Owryumon jogress.

It definitely makes more since, I agree, but
Adventure Tailmon has been more consistently shown to evolve to Holydramon. In fact, I think the PSP game is the only time she's shown to evolve to Ofanimon.

Compare that to Adventure Gomamon who has taken on Vikemon as a canon Ultimate for a while now. Well, except for All-Star Rumble, but that game was a bit weird with evolutions.

The eps didn't do for me but then again I don't really have a fondness for Adventure.

But holy shit the QUALITY. I mean, I know it's TOEI animation but it got a theatrical release!

Really the only good thing about it were WarGreymon's thighs.

The animation in the non fight scenes was pretty weak and the CG looked awful at times. Hopefully that improves, but I won't hold my breath.

At least it looks better than Adventure, lol.

CR... or Toei?

I'd imagine Toei had to be the ones to cut it, since things like the openings and endings had to be added/changed as well. I don't know much about these things though.

In any case, it seemed like a superfluous line. Just
Mimi answering Koushiro about how they'll get home and pointing to the lady agent who drove her there..

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I bring it up only cause people often point fingers on the localization side of things, where in many cases it's not the reason at all.

I bring it up only cause people often point fingers on the localization side of things, where in many cases it's not the reason at all.

I suppose we'll know for sure if other places get it in an episodic format.

Whoever did it, it makes sense why they cut the line. It fits a little better to end on
"How will we get home?"
rather than
"We can ask her." *points at lady*

They could have started the next episode by repeating that part then adding the line, but
going right into the drive with the characters wondering who she was
flows better, imo.

SoulUnison

Banned
Could they actually be going with the whole fan-canon that
the super happy epilogue of Zero Two was actually a result of everyone being still trapped in an extra layer of MaloMyotismon's "happiness fantasy?"

It clicked with me suddenly this morning that the coloring of the cryptic scenes where you see
the Zero Two kids "fall" and the area where you can see them beaten on the ground reminds me of the Crimson Mist attack and the rocky valley/plateaus area where the last battle took place in the Digital World.

Maybe all those other kids from around the world never showed up to save them...
Maybe that's just what they "hoped" and "wanted" to see?

I suppose this is all kind of instantly hand waved and dismissed by that flash of
Alphamon
you see over
their unconscious bodies
, but it was just a weird thought I had.

Zeroth

The omission of any discussion on the 02 kids is a bit off to me. I understand the focus on the Adventure cast, but
story-wise I find it weird neither Kari nor TK mentioned them at any point

Could they actually be going with the whole fan-canon that
the super happy epilogue of Zero Two was actually a result of everyone being still trapped in an extra layer of MaloMyotismon's "happiness fantasy?"

It clicked with me suddenly this morning that the coloring of the cryptic scenes where you see
the Zero Two kids "fall" and the area where you can see them beaten on the ground reminds me of the Crimson Mist attack and the rocky valley/plateaus area where the last battle took place in the Digital World.

Maybe all those other kids from around the world never showed up to save them...
Maybe that's just what they "hoped" and "wanted" to see?

I suppose this is all kind of instantly hand waved and dismissed by that flash of
Alphamon
you see over
their unconscious bodies
, but it was just a weird thought I had.

Oh man, I remember that theory. I don't think that's what's going on here though.

The omission of any discussion on the 02 kids is a bit off to me. I understand the focus on the Adventure cast, but

I think it's weird that
TK and Kari weren't with them in the first place. Cody and Yolei would be practically useless without them.
We'll have to see if they come up with a good explanation.

Zeroth

I think it's weird that
TK and Kari weren't with them in the first place. Cody and Yolei would be practically useless without them.
We'll have to see if they come up with a good explanation.

Well, let's be honest here:
It's not like Silphymon or Shakkoumon would make any difference to the fight. We all know the 02 would basically depend on ImperialDramon anyway.

Well, let's be honest here:
It's not like Silphymon or Shakkoumon would make any difference to the fight. We all know the 02 would basically depend on ImperialDramon anyway.

True enough,
it's ridiculous that they didn't all get to Ultimate/Mega in 02 with only three Digimon to give time to. Imperialdramon gets two forms for pete's sake.

Zeroth

True enough,
it's ridiculous that they didn't all get to Ultimate/Mega in 02 with only three Digimon to give time to. Imperialdramon gets two forms for pete's sake.

It makes sense when you remember how Adventure (and the other seasons outside of Tamers since it's the superior season) handled the super best evolutions: They are locked to the leader and the lancer. The moment you take that away you risk having to make other characters more relevant as the story goes (like Tamers did! OOOOOOOOOOOH).

This was cool though:
T3pwqc2.gif

Just wanted to quote this because I absolutely loved this scene. It shows how big the gap between them was.

It makes sense when you remember how Adventure (and the other seasons outside of Tamers since it's the superior season) handled the super best evolutions: They are locked to the leader and the lancer. The moment you take that away you risk having to make other characters more relevant as the story goes (like Tamers did! OOOOOOOOOOOH).

Just wanted to quote this because I absolutely loved this scene. It shows how big the gap between them was.

But they could have just made Fighter Mode the super best evolution and let the other characters stay a little relevant. :( Like how Dukemon gets Crimson Mode in Tamers.

At least it's not as bad as Frontier. I don't know what the hell they were doing there.

And yessss, that scene is great.
Alphamon has some gravitas in that fight. I hope when(if) they dub it, they don't have him talk...

Zeroth

But they could have just made Fighter Mode the super best evolution and let the other characters stay a little relevant. :( Like how Dukemon gets Crimson Mode in Tamers.

At least it's not as bad as Frontier. I don't know what the hell they were doing there.

And yessss, that scene is great.
Alphamon has some gravitas in that fight. I hope when(if) they dub it, they don't have him talk...

I felt like the emphasis on DNA Digivolutions was already a way to simplify things compared to Adventure, where all 8 children got proper background and focus for their mega evolutions. 02 clearly had a writing problem and it reflected on the character development (because let's be honest, in Digimon character development = digivolutions). Personally I would have loved to see Seraphimon and Magnadramon Ophanimon in 02 along with the other kids being relevant, but 02 could never achieve that, or at least do it in a way that could be satisfactory.

And that was actually a point that I found a bit off.
I wanted Alphamon to comment on fighting Omegamon, but maybe they are saving that for another day.

Mr-Joker

Banned

Good, the less focus on the 02 cast the better as none of them, barring Ken and maybe Iori, were interesting or likeable.

SoulUnison

Banned

Goddammit, Frontier.
At least the other seasons didn't have evolutions that literally de-powered the rest of the cast.
Frontier becomes the "Takuya and Koji Show: Featuring those other kids that hide behind rocks and stuff when shit hits the fan!"

Zoe, JP, Tommy, Kouichi... They all spent the latter 2/3rd of the show basically being Takuya and Koji's living power batteries.

Savers is actually even better than Tamers in this regard, though. All of the main cast not only evolve to Ultimate but even get mode changes.

But Adventure, 02 and Frontier really screw over everyone aside from the main character/rival.

I felt like the emphasis on DNA Digivolutions was already a way to simplify things compared to Adventure, where all 8 children got proper background and focus for their mega evolutions. 02 clearly had a writing problem and it reflected on the character development (because let's be honest, in Digimon character development = digivolutions). Personally I would have loved to see Seraphimon and Magnadramon Ophanimon in 02 along with the other kids being relevant, but 02 could never achieve that, or at least do it in a way that could be satisfactory.

And that was actually a point that I found a bit off.
I wanted Alphamon to comment on fighting Omegamon, but maybe they are saving that for another day.

To think they wasted two whole arcs with the Destiny Stone stuff and the World Tour. So much could have been done with the characters in that time... gosh digi-darn it.

As for spoiler, I can see why people would have preferred that,
but I liked that the silence made him more of a force of nature, rather than just a regular "bad guy". He's this unstoppable unknown thing. I felt like him bringing out his weapon was enough to show he recognized Omegamon as something.

Good, the less focus on the 02 cast the better as none of them, barring Ken and maybe Iori, were interesting or likeable.

Daisuke and Miyako never progress as characters, it's a shame. They rub Daisuke's "greatness" in your face towards the end, even though he's done nothing to earn it. Such a bad follow-up to Taichi.

Zeroth

I don't miss the 02 cast at all, my problem is more of a continuity one: It seems off that these two characters wouldn't even remember about their 02 partners.

Goddammit, Frontier.
At least the other seasons didn't have evolutions that literally de-powered the rest of the cast.
Frontier becomes the "Takuya and Koji Show: Featuring those other kids that hide behind rocks and stuff when shit hits the fan!"

Zoe, JP, Tommy, Kouichi... They all spent the latter 2/3rd of the show basically being Takuya and Koji's living power batteries.

That's the issue, really Frontier evolutions took away the other casts' ability to do anything. Thankfully this has been subverted so far in Tri.

Savers is actually even better than Tamers in this regard, though. All of the main cast not only evolve to Ultimate but even get mode changes.

But Adventure, 02 and Frontier really screw over everyone aside from the main character/rival.

That's a good point, I keep forgetting Savers did that well.

To think they wasted two whole arcs with the Destiny Stone stuff and the World Tour. So much could have been done with the characters in that time... gosh digi-darn it.

As for spoiler, I can see why people would have preferred that,
but I liked that the silence made him more of a force of nature, rather than just a regular "bad guy". He's this unstoppable unknown thing. I felt like him bringing out his weapon was enough to show he recognized Omegamon as something.

That's fair. Ultimately they succeeded in creating an enemy that feel threatening and doesn't take bullshit home.

Daisuke and Miyako never progress as characters, it's a shame. They rub Daisuke's "greatness" in your face towards the end, even though he's done nothing to earn it. Such a bad follow-up to Taichi.

IIRC the issue is that they weren't allowed to progress. I remember reading somewhere (maybe here?!?) that Daisuke wasn't allowed to evolve much as a character, and in a manga where he guest appears and actually is developed as a character, he laments he has to go back to 02 or something.

Basically, 02 was a big executive meddling and I would be perfectly fine with Tri writing 02's end as an alternate dimension or something.

Stuart444

I find it funny how many people are hung up on not talking about the 02 cast. I mean it's pretty obvious to me that it will be covered later on including why no one mentions them and why they are gone or whatever.

I'm still on the side of "The chosen have had their memories altered" or something to make them forget. Maybe Takeru and Hikari think they did all the 02 stuff on their own (with help from the original chosen)? And that's why they don't think it's weird that they have D3s but no one else does. (btw, strange absence of D-terminals >.>. The things that were just suddenly brought into existence in 02 and are now absent from tri).

And instead of the Digimon Kaiser, it was just some random human in place of Ken as the Kaiser or maybe Arukenimon/Mummymon were the baddies from the start using the Dark Towers and stuff rather.

Just speculation but I honestly think (
especially because of the poster for OVA2
) that this will all be explained in time. Why the 02 cast aren't mentioned at all that is.

Stuart444

Pandering to Adventure and at least acknowledging some of 02 don't seem mutually exclusive though.

They did acknowledge 02 with the D3s and the start.

It means "Yes events happened and will be explained later on."

Later on meaning in another OVA.

I'm thinking based on the poster that they are now evil so it's going to be 02 chosen vs Original Chosen. If I'm right, I look forward to it. :D Should be fun to watch.

That or... well let's admit it... it's Adventures pandering.

Pandering to Adventure and at least acknowledging some of 02 don't seem mutually exclusive though.

I still don't think they are pandering to 02 haters. People tend to forget that 02 is not nearly as hated as the internet would have you believe. It's just easy to forget because GAF has good taste. :p

I think they wanted to focus on the first cast for maximum nostalgia. If Adventure's cast didn't already consist of 8 people, which is a lot of characters to focus on, 02's cast would have been more involved.

It's obvious 02 is still important in Tri.
The D-3s being the ones to open the gate, 02 characters being shown on the screen of the agent's computer, and the little pushes to making at least some of the epilogue canon are all there. Why Takeru and Hikari don't talk about them is most likely going to addressed at some point.
I just hope the reason is good. :p

I'm thinking based on the poster that they are now evil so it's going to be 02 chosen vs Original Chosen. If I'm right, I look forward to it. :D Should be fun to watch.

I think
Imperialdramon gets infected and starts attacking everything. Maybe Ankylomon and Aquilamon will be there too. It would be interesting to see Angemon and Tailmon fight them.

Stuart444

I think
Imperialdramon gets infected and starts attacking everything. Maybe Ankylomon and Aquilamon will be there too. It would be interesting to see Angemon and Tailmon fight them.

I think it'd be interesting if
somehow the humans are infected as well. Like I said leading to some chosen fighting. Maybe Ken vs Takeru mk2? :p Also it'd be interesting to have Imperialdramon be infected because then they would have to confront the issue of saving them since they are used to just killing Digimon that are trying to kill them (not including the cases where they had the black gears (Devimon arc) / Dark Rings/Spirals (Digimon Kaiser/Emperor arc)). It'd be interesting.

Months of speculations but at least we know we'll be getting some PVs in the next few months and then March for the next OVA :D

Top Bottom