• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digimon Community Thread |OT| For all the Digidestined on GAF

I wouldn't use any of that stuff but I want it.
It's more along the lines of it being easier make cases for iPhones and iphone users being more willing to pay premiums to customise their premium devices.

Those cases seem like they'd be really annoying to actually use.

Just sayin'

If they are made of that malleable stuff, they won't be very durable either. It would be nice if they came out with pratical hard cases (even if I couldn't use it).

The ear buds look cute though. I'd like if there was more than Agumon and Gabumon.

Hi everyone, new user, longtime Digimon fan here. My fave seasons are Tamers, Adventure, and the first half of Frontier before Takuya and Koji hogged everything.

Now that's out of the way, does anyone know what the reaction to Tri in Japan was like? On one hand I do hope they enjoyed it as much as I did, but on the other hand I hope they expressed some criticism towards the quality of the animation because some parts were the absolute pits. I ask this because their opinions would probably be taken into account moreso than ours in the west.

Hi everyone, new user, longtime Digimon fan here. My fave seasons are Tamers, Adventure, and the first half of Frontier before Takuya and Koji hogged everything.

Now that's out of the way, does anyone know what the reaction to Tri in Japan was like? On one hand I do hope they enjoyed it as much as I did, but on the other hand I hope they expressed some criticism towards the quality of the animation because some parts were the absolute pits. I ask this because their opinions would probably be taken into account moreso than ours in the west.

Welcome! :D

Considering the movie made ~$1.5 million in only 10 theaters, I want to say it was received pretty well, though selling tickets doesn't always directly translate to how much people liked it.

From what (little) I've read, Japanese fans have some of the same complaints a number of western fans do. (Taichi's crisis, the animation, why does no one mention 02 characters, etc.)

I feel like I'm the only one that appreciated the animation, knowing Toei in Adventure etc...

For a (albeit limited) theater release it's a bit... lacking. So many frames with absolutely nothing moving. Not to mention some of the CG looked really awful.

Fight scenes were great though,
Alphamon owning Birdramon and Kabuterimon being a highlight.

Stuart444

Welcome to the thread! Not sure on the reaction, guess we'll see how sales do for the DVD/BD in december? More sales = good reaction I guess?

I feel like I'm the only one that appreciated the animation, knowing Toei in Adventure etc...

I liked the animation but I've pretty much given up on arguing over animation on here. Too much nitpicking over things that most won't even recognize when actually watching the shows.

I'm just happy to be watching a new Digimon Adventure series again :) And I can't wait for OVA2 next year :D

Alphamon owning Birdramon and Kabuterimon being a highlight.

This was a freaking highlight of the fight scenes. Seriously.

Stuart444

That and
Angemon and Gatomon getting shot point blank by Alphamon's lasers. It was an awesome beatdown.

I'm not the only one that prefers Magnadramon as Gatomon's mega evolution right?

Haha, that was good as well.

You're not the only one, I'm sure of that but I too prefer Ophanimon. Seems more like a natural evolution off Angewomon.

Now if it went Salamon -> Gatomon -> (beast type Digimon) -> Magnadramon (a holy beast type Digimon) then I would be okay with it.

I guess it makes Angewomon looks like the odd one out but a certain storyline literally hinged on Angewomon being a part of it so it just feels to me like "If they are going to go with the holy angel route, then go all the way"

I am only against it due to the established evolution route and how Magnadramon doesn't suit coming off of Angewomon.

But no, I know some have argued for Magnadramon before so you're not alone.

I'm somewhat partial to Holydramon just because I loved Movie 3 so much.

But Ofanimon does make more sense as an evolution from Angewomon.

Then again, that's almost an argument against Ofanimon, since the evolution line up to that point has gone something like walking tail -> puppy -> cat -> stripper angel. Evolution consistency actually seems inconsistent at that point.

In a vacuum, I'd probably choose Holydramon because fluffy pink dragons are the shit, but as a counterpoint to Seraphimon, I much prefer Ofanimon.

It's weird that Adventure Gatomon switches between the two so often. You'd think whoever was in charge would try to make it more consistent...

Oh, who am I kidding, inconsistency is Digimon in a nutshell.

Stuart444

In a vacuum, I'd probably choose Holydramon because fluffy pink dragons are the shit, but as a counterpoint to Seraphimon, I much prefer Ofanimon.

It's weird that Adventure Gatomon switches between the two so often. You'd think whoever was in charge would try to make it more consistent...

Oh, who am I kidding, inconsistency is Digimon in a nutshell.

You're not helping with that :p
One bolded Digimon is not like the other

Also the Gatomon to Ophanimon warp evo scene is one of my favourites in Digimon Adventure PSP. Probably because it stands out with her only having to skip one stage instead of 2 to get to her Mega form.

You're not helping with that :p
One bolded Digimon is not like the other

Also the Gatomon to Ophanimon warp evo scene is one of my favourites in Digimon Adventure PSP. Probably because it stands out with her only having to skip one stage instead of 2 to get to her Mega form.

Haha, reading your/TropicalFish's posts then following it up with KuwabaraTheMan's post must have messed up my Japanese/English naming.

The Cyber Sleuth OT is going to be a hoot...

Haha, reading your/TropicalFish's posts then following it up with KuwabaraTheMan's post must have messed up my Japanese/English naming.

The Cyber Sleuth OT is going to be a hoot...
About that, is it recommended to use the Japanese names in this thread or can we use either?

I personally use the Japanese names for the humans and the Western names for the Digimon.

Stuart444

About that, is it recommended to use the Japanese names in this thread or can we use either?

I personally use the Japanese names for the humans and the Western names for the Digimon.

Use either. I switch between them depending on who I'm talking to. But yeah, you'll see people here use either. Usually whatever one they are more used to :p

Though I do tend to use the JP versions (the EN versions are just shortened forms of their JP names or in Jyou's case, the english spelling of it aka Joe) of the human names just because I prefer them more. Only reason I stick with Joe instead of jyou/Jo is because it's the same pronunciation, just a different spelling of his JP name.

You can use anything you want. I think everyone here will know who you are talking about.

I try to switch what I use depending on what the discussion is using, but I guess I forget sometimes, lol.

Use either. I switch between them depending on who I'm talking to. But yeah, you'll see people here use either. Usually whatever one they are more used to :p

Though I do tend to use the JP versions (the EN versions are just shortened forms of their JP names or in Jyou's case, the english spelling of it aka Joe) of the human names just because I prefer them more. Only reason I stick with Joe instead of jyou/Jo is because it's the same pronunciation, just a different spelling of his JP name.

I tend to change how I spell Joe all the time. I think "Joe" is his official English spelling though.

I generally call them by what way I watched them (first 4 dubbed, Savers subbed). I've followed this thread enough that I know the differences between most of them though.

Next Order has added screenshots to the website. Frontier fans rejoice!

bN2QBeb.jpg

Never thought we'd get Hybrid Digimon in the newer games this soon.

Next Order has added screenshots to the website. Frontier fans rejoice!

bN2QBeb.jpg

Never thought we'd get Hybrid Digimon in the newer games this soon.

Holy shit. In a DW1-type game no less. That weird lighting is still there though =(. I may import this just because raising digimon in these games is fun. Do the other hybrids have hybrid - rookies as well or will it actually be the tamer with spirits. This is pretty huge D=. How can they just drop that without clarifying D=.
Also, this is now basically my dream digimon game,huge roster, every seasons digimon being in it (bar fusion I guess, not a loss in my book due to balance =p) if only we could play it on a higher resolution screen.

Holy shit. In a DW1-type game no less. That weird lighting is still there though =(. I may import this just because raising digimon in these games is fun. Do the other hybrids have hybrid - rookies as well or will it actually be the tamer with spirits. This is pretty huge D=. How can they just drop that without clarifying D=.
Also, this is now basically my dream digimon game,huge roster, every seasons digimon being in it (bar fusion I guess, not a loss in my book due to balance =p) if only we could play it on a higher resolution screen.

Yeah, all the Digimon with silver/steel on them look way too bright with that lighting.

As for the other Frontier Digimon rookies, Strabimon is the only other known one, I think. Though, they don't necessarily need a rookie form to be in the game.

I guess this means we might get Susanoomon. :D (And maybe some Xros Wars Digimon have a chance?)

Wow, this is very unexpected. It would be cool if all of the Frontier Digimon were in (and full lines would be nice, but unexpected).

Even with just Agnimon, it's nice that Frontier is getting some representation. Hopefully the same is true for Xros Wars. At the very least, I'd like Shoutmon and DarkKnightmon to make it in.

Any of you know how rare a paildramon version D3 is?

Any of the older season digivices that haven't had a re-release are hard to come by. They tend to sell for high prices on Ebay.

I imagine a Paildramon version would be even rarer than the regular ones, though I don't know exactly.

Tusk

Any of the older season digivices that haven't had a re-release are hard to come by. They tend to sell for high prices on Ebay.

I imagine a Paildramon version would be even rarer than the regular ones, though I don't know exactly.

Ah. Bought one a few days ago for a pretty decent price, seemed to have a barely noticeable scratch on it based on the pics. Just been wondering if it was worth it, glad to know it probably was.

Thanks for the quick response, by the way.

Digimon Twitter 100ik follower image by character designer:
CV2qmcxUwAArka6.png

Digimon Next (Mobile game) delayed to 2016 =/.

Some new magazine scans available at the regular digimon fansites.

Any of you know how rare a paildramon version D3 is?

Which one -- Japanese or US?

The Japanese one is a little hard to find outside of Asia (usually pretty easy to find on Yahoo Japan) but the US one with translucent grips is one of the rarer D-3s.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
A couple things to note as I re-watched Tri yesterday:

-Ok, I see what you mean with the animation. Some of the background characters' animation did look choppy, and some of the painted backgrounds didn't mesh well with Kuwagumon.

-Taichi's hesitation made sense. I re-watched it with someone who I watched Tamers with, as his only exposure to Digimon, and he's never seen Adventure (although I did summarize it for him).
Basically, Taichi is older. He's not a kid anymore and understands that things have severe consequences and that people can be killed. No more is he a kid of courage blindly running forward. The ferris wheel seen with Yamato was key with the dialog on how he felt. Sure, they didn't need to make a flashback every time for it, but now it's not so much uncharacteristic, but as Yamato put it, that he's changed.

Stuart444

Taichi's hesitation made sense. I re-watched it with someone who I watched Tamers with, as his only exposure to Digimon, and he's never seen Adventure (although I did summarize it for him).
Basically, Taichi is older. He's not a kid anymore and understands that things have severe consequences and that people can be killed. No more is he a kid of courage blindly running forward. The ferris wheel seen with Yamato was key with the dialog on how he felt. Sure, they didn't need to make a flashback every time for it, but now it's not so much uncharacteristic, but as Yamato put it, that he's changed.

Been saying this since I first watched it haha.

I'm now more interested in how he's going to deal with it in the next OVA.

And if my theory about Joe is correct (spoilers for the end of Tri ep 4/OVA1)
That he was watching the final fight and chose not to go because he had to study. (though I wonder where Gomamon was in that scene then... asleep? XD)

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
And if my theory about Joe is correct (spoilers for the end of Tri ep 4/OVA1)
That he was watching the final fight and chose not to go because he had to study. (though I wonder where Gomamon was in that scene then... asleep? XD)

I'd say it's pretty clear :p Didn't realize that there was a scene where one of those secret service people approached him and he denied going. Of course he has to study! He keeps getting Ds and set in the back row. Gotta keep up to get into med school! I can only imagine the pressure for him with helping save the world, as well as trying to succeed and achieve a spot in a good school. Oh, and that girlfriend he apparently has but can't even see >_>

Tusk

Which one -- Japanese or US?

The Japanese one is a little hard to find outside of Asia (usually pretty easy to find on Yahoo Japan) but the US one with translucent grips is one of the rarer D-3s.

Yeah, it's a JP one. Don't think I've ever found a US one for sale.

-Taichi's hesitation made sense. I re-watched it with someone who I watched Tamers with, as his only exposure to Digimon, and he's never seen Adventure (although I did summarize it for him).

I would like it a lot more if he was a bit less hesitant.
Alphamon is stampeding and hunting down a person and you're not going to do anything because of possible collateral damage to evacuated buildings? There are times to hold back, and that wasn't one of them.

I could see what they were going for, and it's not uncharacteristic, but it was handled somewhat poorly, at least towards the end (I want to say the budget got partly in the way with the excessive flashbacks). Most complaints I've seen about it say it was a good idea executed badly.

Stuart444

I'd say it's pretty clear :p Didn't realize that there was a scene where one of those secret service people approached him and he denied going.

I think with that point, he didn't know what was going on anyway so he just ignored them totally. Rather than a "I know my friends are fighting a tough enemy but screw that, I have to study.

The last part though seems much more of a "They got this, I've got to study" which still has me wondering where Gomamon is since I don't think we saw him in that scene.

At least we know they get the spotlight in the next OVA based on the poster :D VIKEMON!

Here's a Q&A session with Digimon Tri`s producer Shuhei Arai. It's from the latest Otomedia issue.

MPXmvda.png

Translations:

This Year Is Special! We’ve Delivered Q&A Vol. 2!

How Grown-Up Taichi And His Friends Will Spend Christmas ♡

Taichi Yagami:
Taichi can probably have a short break after a preliminary match of the winter soccer championship. He might invite his close teammates to his house and have a big party with them. Being young guys, they will have yaminabe* as a prank for fun. Even if they go too far, Agumon will eat up everything. I guess they’ll enjoy the boys’ hotpot party.

Yamato Ishida:
Maybe as an annual custom!? Yamato will hold a Christmas concert and sing a new song with his new band. He might also prepare to perform some sweet Christmas songs for his fans. Uniting with them, he will have an exciting gig.

Sora Takenouchi:
Sora will go to Yamato’s concert with Jun Motomiya. She still can’t get into Jun’s aggressive moshing. However, she might get carried away by Yamato’s voice and watch over him fondly.

Mimi Tachikawa:
Mimi will host a Christmas party. She will invite Michael (who is from America), Koushirou, and other friends and have fun with them. She might welcome everyone with her amazingly creative cooking, such as “kimchi fried rice with strawberries and whipped cream”. Everyone will be enjoying them.

Koushirou Izumi:
Koushirou will be forcibly invited to Mimi’s party. He will talk in English with Michael, because he has improved his English recently. They might get excited to talk about the SAT college admissions test and recent IT companies.

Jou Kido:
Unfortunately, a very important entrance exam is coming up soon. It’s time for Jou to begin his final cramming sessions. He knows it and he’s been studying very hard at home and without play. He might excuse himself from Mimi’s party between sobs.

Takeru Takaishi:
Takeru might assist Yamato with his concert. To create a good mood he will invite lots of girls from his school and have fun. If he writes a blog about the concert later, he’ll probably take it upon himself to document everything.

Hikari Yagami:
Hikari will attend a Christmas party hosted by a close classmate she’s known since elementary school. They might talk about boys such as Takeru and Daisuke, etc.. The party will heat up with girl talk.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Koushirou Izumi:
Koushirou will be forcibly invited to Mimi’s party. He will talk in English with Michael, because he has improved his English recently. They might get excited to talk about the SAT college admissions test and recent IT companies.

He should work on his french though >_>

Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but... did the world tour happen? Seems like a pretty major thing to overlook at this point in the timeline.

I think it's safe to say everything in 02 happened. The only thing still open is the epilogue, but I think they are going to keep that as well.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's safe to say everything in 02 happened. The only thing still open is the epilogue, but I think they are going to keep that as well.

If Mimi and Koushiro DO get together, then it definitely will change things!

I'm routing for them (even though I'm a Jouimi fan) just so that the epilogue changes...

Michael is who she met in America right? It's safe to say EVERYTHING in the previous season and movie had happened.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if Willis is in as well. Not because I particularly like him or anything, just for completion sake.

I'm routing for them (even though I'm a Jouimi fan) just so that the epilogue changes...

I really like Tri Mimi, so I'm all for cool characters getting together.

Michael is who she met in America right? It's safe to say EVERYTHING in the previous season and movie had happened.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if Willis is in as well. Not because I particularly like him or anything, just for completion sake.

The non-Hosoda movies are still a bit iffy in the canon department, but I can see an Imperialdramon PM moment settling that.

But the epilogue doesn't mention who they married so that doesn't necessarily change things I'm afraid. But I'm all for it.

But the epilogue doesn't mention who they married so that doesn't necessarily change things I'm afraid. But I'm all for it.

Yeah, that's true. If we are just going off what is seen in the epilogue, they can get away with KoushiroXMimi/some other pairings and still leave it intact.

The only reason we know that KenXMiyako and YamatoXSora are the only ones who get together is because the writers told us.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, that's true. If we are just going off what is seen in the epilogue, they can get away with KoushiroXMimi/some other pairings and still leave it intact.

The only reason we know that KenXMiyako and YamatoXSora are the only ones who get together is because the writers told us.

For me, it was always moreso the characters of the kids. If the kid looks like Miyako but has Ken's hair colour... Same with Sorato. No others had that.

Stuart444

No no no no no.

That's the same reasoning people use to support HikarixTakeru and I just don't buy that reasoning.

As far as I'm concerned the epilogue doesn't mention who they married because none of their partners apart from the obvious married people are from the main cast and thus it's not important who they married (and they didn't want to draw new characters just for the epilogue scene lol)

No no no no no.

That's the same reasoning people use to support HikarixTakeru and I just don't buy that reasoning.

As far as I'm concerned the epilogue doesn't mention who they married because none of their partners apart from the obvious married people are from the main cast and thus it's not important who they married (and they didn't want to draw new characters just for the epilogue scene lol)

That's one of the conclusions (the most logical one) you can get from the vague epilogue we had. I'm just saying we can never know with 100% of certainty since the epilogue doesn't mention who or if they married.

No no no no no.

I think Ganzlinger's saying that if Koushiro and Mimi get together in Tri, it doesn't necessarily retcon the epilogue, since it's never outright said they don't.

I think Ganzlinger's saying that if Koushiro and Mimi get together in Tri, it doesn't necessarily retcon the epilogue, since it's never outright said they don't.
Yes, exactly. It is something they can "adapt". But it's just speculation, we don't even know if they will put them in a relationship. Might as well ending exactly like the epilogue with just "Kenyako" and "Sorato" as canon. :p

Stuart444

If they get together, it's still retconning the epilogue since they were not intended to be together originally. That means it's still a change to the epilogue no matter how small.

All the 'vagueness' if you can call it that does is allows them to retcon the epilogue without too many complications lol.

Anything that wasn't intended originally is a retcon pretty much.

We'll see what happens in the future.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
If they get together, it's still retconning the epilogue since they were not intended to be together originally. That means it's still a change to the epilogue no matter how small.

All the 'vagueness' if you can call it that does is allows them to retcon the epilogue without too many complications lol.

All this. As long as it gets dropped, all is well. The fanbase will cheer with joy.

It is technically retconning, you're right, but we were talking about how if Koushiro and Mimi end up together, it would change the epilogue. Ganzlinger was pointing out what you see at the end of 02 would not change if they were together, it could still play out the exact same.

So both are right. The relationship would retcon the writer's intentions in the epilogue, but it wouldn't contradict what happens. When I said "retcon", I meant change something so that the epilogue we see can not happen after Tri.

What we (well not all "we", but some "we") want is for the epilogue to be removed completely. A Mimi and Koushiro relationship wouldn't be enough to prove it doesn't happen.

I was the one who brought the word retcon into it though, so that's my bad

Stuart444

It is technically retconning, you're right, but we were talking about how if Koushiro and Mimi end up together, it would change the epilogue. Ganzlinger was pointing out what you see at the end of 02 would not change if they were together, it could still play out the exact same.

It would change some smaller things.

Kourshiro and Mimi and their children would be closer together, there would probably be some comment about either them or their children in a family setting (similar to the kid of Sora/Yamato commenting on taking care of their sibling (note: dub stuff, I forget what was said in the JP version) just an example)

So small changes but still changes.

Of course this assumes we'll even see another epilogue. There may be no epilogue in Tri, it just ends after the final battle and people go back to their lives lol.

Top Bottom