• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digimon Community Thread |OT| For all the Digidestined on GAF

i'm fucking hyped as fuck, especially finding out now that it's just around the corner.

a few questions doe

1. I played digimon world 2 religiously as a kid, and pretty much the only one i ever played. i dabbled in 1. besides the fact that this game is turn based, is there gonna be anything like dmw2? I've seen only a few gameplay videos but I haven't seen the complexity in attacks like interrupt, confusion, assist, poison, paralysis, etc.

2. is this canon to any of the anime series?

3. is there multiplayer? i heard there is crossplay with the vita version which would mean there'd have to be mp but asking just to be sure

1) It's turn based as well, but it's a Digimon Story game so it's alot like the Nintendo DS games. It's closer to 3 if you want to compare it to world games though, I played a bit of it recently.
2)Nope- It has its own seperate world.
3)Yes there is worldwide MP confirmed, I don't think cross-play has been confirmed, only cross save.

Stuart444

i'm fucking hyped as fuck, especially finding out now that it's just around the corner.

a few questions doe

1. I played digimon world 2 religiously as a kid, and pretty much the only one i ever played. i dabbled in 1. besides the fact that this game is turn based, is there gonna be anything like dmw2? I've seen only a few gameplay videos but I haven't seen the complexity in attacks like interrupt, confusion, assist, poison, paralysis, etc.

2. is this canon to any of the anime series?

3. is there multiplayer? i heard there is crossplay with the vita version which would mean there'd have to be mp but asking just to be sure

1. It is a turn based combat system, 3 digimon (and sometimes 3 + 1 guest digimon, the guest is controlled by the AI). It's got confusion (known as 'panic' and means you can't control your Digimon anymore while they are under it) along with other status effects. You can also of course buff your Digimon with skills or debuff the enemy.

2. No, it is its own Universe and is not related to any of the anime series but it's still a great story. I really enjoyed it and can't wait to play it again in English. If you have watched Digimon Savers/Data Squad though, Cyber Sleuth has a similar feeling to it with the investigation agency and the RKs

3. Yes, via a coliseum you can access in the DigiLab. If it can't find any people to match you with, it will match you with AI controlled people (thus meaning you can get the MP related trophy even if the MP died)

1) It's turn based as well, but it's a Digimon Story game so it's alot like the Nintendo DS games. It's closer to 3 if you want to compare it to world games though, I played a bit of it recently.
2)Nope- It has its own seperate world.
3)Yes there is worldwide MP confirmed, I don't think cross-play has been confirmed, only cross save.

1. It is a turn based combat system, 3 digimon (and sometimes 3 + 1 guest digimon, the guest is controlled by the AI). It's got confusion (known as 'panic' and means you can't control your Digimon anymore while they are under it) along with other status effects. You can also of course buff your Digimon with skills or debuff the enemy.

2. No, it is its own Universe and is not related to any of the anime series but it's still a great story. I really enjoyed it and can't wait to play it again in English. If you have watched Digimon Savers/Data Squad though, Cyber Sleuth has a similar feeling to it with the investigation agency and the RKs

3. Yes, via a coliseum you can access in the DigiLab. If it can't find any people to match you with, it will match you with AI controlled people (thus meaning you can get the MP related trophy even if the MP died)

awesome, thanks for the info guys. never played digimon world 3, you can say digimon world 2 is pretty much the only digimon game i've played, so i'll just be going off of that. i guess if that's the case i hope they go back to the world series (although do the subseries really matter? they're pretty different from one another)

and normally i don't like when they do separate universes, although dmw2 seemed like its own universe i still enjoyed the story and i'm sure i'll enjoy this one. the cross save is probably what i was thinking off when i heard of crossplay, my bad.

PREORDERED! shit, I really gotta think about my student loan debts before making such purchases lol

Speaking of Cyber Sleuth, if there is anything you guys think I should include in the OT (FAQ or whatever) feel free to post it.

I just remembered I cried at the end of season 2 because the show ended. I was 7 at the time and I remember my parents were worried as to why I was sad and being too embarrassed to say it was because a show has ended.

That's cute and sad at the same time. My parents were probably grateful the show ended, since it meant my brother and I would stop shaking our Digivices on road trips.

Stuart444

awesome, thanks for the info guys. never played digimon world 3, you can say digimon world 2 is pretty much the only digimon game i've played, so i'll just be going off of that. i guess if that's the case i hope they go back to the world series (although do the subseries really matter? they're pretty different from one another)

and normally i don't like when they do separate universes, although dmw2 seemed like its own universe i still enjoyed the story and i'm sure i'll enjoy this one. the cross save is probably what i was thinking off when i heard of crossplay, my bad.

PREORDERED! shit, I really gotta think about my student loan debts before making such purchases lol

All the games (apart from maybe World 1/Next order) are different universes. It's still a lot of fun! <3.

Speaking of Cyber Sleuth, if there is anything you guys think I should include in the OT (FAQ or whatever) feel free to post it.

Only thing I can think of is the leveling tip aka get a few PlatinumSukamons early on for their special ability (more experience) and maybe near the end of the game, Digivolve them to Etamon and then PlatinumNumemon (since it's both a Mega and have the same special ability PlatinumSukamon has.) Etamon sadly doesn't have it I believe so getting it past that stage is quite important. Only do one at a time so you still have one or two PlatinumSukamons for more EXP while working on getting others up to PlatNumemon.

It helps minimize the grinding personally, especially when leveling baby Digimon up later in the game.

Same thing with GoldNumemon for money but I never needed it to get lots of money. The USBs that up Money gained was more than enough really.

But yeah, can't think of anything else that would be useful to know or anything.

(this info assumes they haven't changed it for the PS4 release which I hope they haven't)

is there gonna be any voice acting? or just voiceless textboxes?

JP voices with English subs.

All the games (apart from maybe World 1/Next order) are different universes. It's still a lot of fun! <3.
Indeed they are a lot of fun!
still woulda been cool if they were all in the same universe doing their own thing though, like the MCU ;)
I got tri to look forward to anyway.
JP voices with English subs.
I could dig that. bring it on, bandai namco!

so Ps4 gets this, and street fighter 5 in february...needless to say I'm afraid this game's not gonna sell well :\

Indeed they are a lot of fun!
still woulda been cool if they were all in the same universe doing their own thing though, like the MCU ;)
I got tri to look forward to anyway.
I could dig that. bring it on, bandai namco!

so Ps4 gets this, and street fighter 5 in february...needless to say I'm afraid this game's not gonna sell well :\

They're not really the same genre but I guess consumers only buy 1 game at a time. Although, street fighter isn't very easy to pick up and play.I'd say digimon is since it requires not backstory. Naruto is on the same day, which is another anime game by BN and so is more likely to affect salesT_T. But i believe in the Digimon fandom, we struggled through All-star rumble .

They're not really the same genre but I guess consumers only buy 1 game at a time. Although, street fighter isn't very easy to pick up and play.I'd say digimon is since it requires not backstory. Naruto is on the same day, which is another anime game by BN and so is more likely to affect salesT_T. But i believe in the Digimon fandom, we struggled through All-star rumble .
yeah, it's the same thing people were saying when Uc4 got delayed and the trouble it might spike for dark souls 3 and ratchet & clank.

street fighter may not be the easiest game to pick up but it'll 1. for sure get more promotion from sony and 2. is probably a bigger video game IP overall than digimon, let alone the biggest fighting game title.

if a naruto game is dropping the same day as digimon then yeah, that's even more bad news. and if it's also bandai namco then i have to wonder, why the fuck are they releasing both of their games at the same fucking time?

and speaking of all-star rumble, i'm of the opinion that since a lot of digimon games were playstation exclusive, we should have some digimon in a psasbr reboot, if there's ever going to be one.

yeah, it's the same thing people were saying when Uc4 got delayed and the trouble it might spike for dark souls 3 and ratchet & clank.

street fighter may not be the easiest game to pick up but it'll 1. for sure get more promotion from sony and 2. is probably a bigger video game IP overall than digimon, let alone the biggest fighting game title.

if a naruto game is dropping the same day as digimon then yeah, that's even more bad news. and if it's also bandai namco then i have to wonder, why the fuck are they releasing both of their games at the same fucking time?

and speaking of all-star rumble, i'm of the opinion that since a lot of digimon games were playstation exclusive, we should have some digimon in a psasbr reboot, if there's ever going to be one.

Oh yeah , SF5 is going to #1 for sure , I just meant that I doubt it's going to affect Digimons sales majorly. BN are a huge company , they probably know the market better than us though. They're certainly not doing all they can to maximise Digimon's sales, that much is evident from the lack of marketing -_-.

Stuart444

They're certainly not doing all they can to maximise Digimon's sales, that much is evident from the lack of marketing -_-.

Well they are a business and they are not confident in Digimons ability to sell and thus wouldn't want to spend too much money on it (we're lucky we're getting physical PS4 at all) and from the CS threads on here, I can't say I blame them. Many Digimon threads fall off the first page of the gaming section very quickly and have trouble reaching page 2 of their threads.

The most they seem to be willing to do is to stream the game and use youtube videos to advertise it. The rest is up to fans word of mouth to sell the game.

Fingers crossed it sells well though. If it sells better than expected then we may get a future game with more support from Bamco.

Well they are a business and they are not confident in Digimons ability to sell and thus wouldn't want to spend too much money on it (we're lucky we're getting physical PS4 at all) and from the CS threads on here, I can't say I blame them. Many Digimon threads fall off the first page of the gaming section very quickly and have trouble reaching page 2 of their threads.

The most they seem to be willing to do is to stream the game and use youtube videos to advertise it. The rest is up to fans word of mouth to sell the game.

Yeah I get that too. It's more that they're doing next to nothing, normally devs get involved with the community via QA's etc , we get a slow trickle of information instead from the occasional interview or slip up. I mean they tested the waters already with all star rumble. Neogaf isn't really a good representative of the whole gaming community, rather more of the enthusiasts imo. It's more that they didn't watch Digimon due to their age or didn't like it. I mean the Digimon games haven't really been incredible/unique besides a few and they've really been all over the place. I mean if you look at Digimon or even vita gaming communities they're all excited for this game and there's alot of discussion when news trickles in. It's more that Bamco haven't really thought through how to maximise exposure of the game / customer satisfaction, even with a limited budget they could certainly have done better rather than just leaving it to the fans.

Fingers crossed it sells well though. If it sells better than expected then we may get a future game with more support from Bamco.

I've read that people are buying it simply because they want new order to come west. Also, non digimon fans are also interested because it's a turn based rpg with monster raising, pretty surprised by the amount of love its getting around the internet tbh.

Is the vita version going to be $40?

We won't know for sure until they tell us or it releases, but if it follows previous Bamco PS4/Vita games, it should be.

Edit: Checking their Twitter to see if they had a price announced, and it looks like Bamco US Cyber Sleuth'd up their banner. Looks good, but I might be biased. :p

CrazyDude

tumblr_o0r7u5hZEg1ujwy0bo1_540.jpg

At least now we know who is responsible for Takeru's bad hats.

These were released a few days ago, but apparently magazine scans aren't allowed on GAF =/. I don't really like that they're including typical anime fanservicey moments,a swimsuit scene was confirmed or something for one of the movies iirc . The fanservice should be through awesome battle scenes,comebacks , evolutions etc as the standard has been in all of the digimon seasons. But i guess this appeals to the adult japanese fanbase?

CrazyDude

good, Takari lives!!!

so what are these then? just promos or shots from the next episodes?

Apparently from Otomedia Jan (Where the Takeru and Hikari picture above is from) issue,

Takeru likes Hikari romantically. It&#8217;s unrequited at the moment though.

Hikari knows of Takeru&#8217;s feelings somewhat and likes to tease him. However she herself still doesn&#8217;t know how she feels but plays it off. She&#8217;s more mature and can hide how she feels.

Takeru&#8217;s seiyuu talks on how Takeru was treated as the crybaby of the group in the beginning and how that has changed.

They also talked about the relationship between Takeru/Hikari and their respective siblings.
There is definitely more of the Takeru and Hikari relationship on the way.

You might want to take those pictures down. Scans aren't allowed on GAF.

Apparently from Otomedia Jan (Where the Takeru and Hikari picture above is from) issue,

Takeru likes Hikari romantically. It’s unrequited at the moment though.

Hikari knows of Takeru’s feelings somewhat and likes to tease him. However she herself still doesn’t know how she feels but plays it off. She’s more mature and can hide how she feels.

Takeru’s seiyuu talks on how Takeru was treated as the crybaby of the group in the beginning and how that has changed.

They also talked about the relationship between Takeru/Hikari and their respective siblings.

That information is a skewed interpretation by shippers. This is the only accurate translation of that part I've seen.

good, Takari lives!!!

so what are these then? just promos or shots from the next episodes?
Promo shots, normally accompanied with information.

Takeru likes Hikari romantically. It&#8217;s unrequited at the moment though.

Hikari knows of Takeru&#8217;s feelings somewhat and likes to tease him. However she herself still doesn&#8217;t know how she feels but plays it off. She&#8217;s more mature and can hide how she feels.

Takeru&#8217;s seiyuu talks on how Takeru was treated as the crybaby of the group in the beginning and how that has changed.

This is over a month old actually, I don't recall the translation I read hinting this much at the shipping. The cake ones are from this months issues, they don't reveal alot other than the movie being Jou+Mimi focussed.

They can basically go anywhere with Tri, due to them adding the Idea & Demiurgos to the mix, with Alphamon messing with shit in between.
Hikari is definitely teasing TK though. They're young so I guess they don't have concrete feelings for each other. If they stick to two chosen children/mega's per movie, a TK+Kari centered one is basically a given.

EDIT- someone responded already, shouldn't reply midway through an essay ~_~.

Thank for the info. Shippers are manipulating the flow of info. Making life harder for information collectors everywhere.

No problem. That information was going around everywhere and people were taking it as fact. I don't know if we ever got a full translation for that interview.

That being said, it still seems Takeru has an interest in Hikari. Whether she feels the same is a mystery since she hides her emotions so well.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I was going to do the same...But I need those pre-order themes .

Yeah, I debated whether or not to buy it since I wanted Beelzebumon: Blast Mode but in the end I felt that I wanted the retail version more since I only had one Vita memory card and I didn't want to buy another one.

Stuart444

Well they are sort of glued next to each other in Tri

In all fairness, they have been glued next to each other since Hikari was first introduced. They are almost always next to each other in promo stuff.

If they really do two kids focus per OVA then Hikari and Takeru will defo be together in one. Probably the final one. So next one would probably be Koushiro + Sora and the one after that Hikari + Takeru.

Then maybe... either 02 kids as the center focus (so a 4 kids on front cover type of thing) and maybe the final OVA being Meiko + Meicoomon? This assumes we don't find out what's 'up' with Meicoomon until the final OVA.

Just some harmless speculation :)

I wish we had the OT for cyber sleuth already, I got some more questions.

Firstly, going off of the gameplay footage, do we get to see the hostile digimon before we run into them? Or are they unavoidable/automatically ran into in those sections of the game?

I didn't really like that about ffs10 remastered where you'd be just headed somewhere and a fight pops up and ensues. I think there was a thread about unavoidable battles in RPGs as well.

I remember that sometimes fights were unavoidable in dmw2 as well but at least you could visibly and physically see enemy digimon before you fought with them.

Is there a "run away" option?

Firstly, going off of the gameplay footage, do we get to see the hostile digimon before we run into them? Or are they unavoidable/automatically ran into in those sections of the game?

I didn't really like that about ffs10 remastered where you'd be just headed somewhere and a fight pops up and ensues. I think there was a thread about unavoidable battles in RPGs as well.

I remember that sometimes fights were unavoidable in dmw2 as well but at least you could visibly and physically see enemy digimon before you fought with them.

It's random, old school rpg's couldn't render/it was too much work to have the models running around iirc and it's continued to be a part of jrpg's . FFX was a remaster as in it was just the ps2 era game with imrpoved graphics and other small improvements, so they didn't changed any of the battle systems.
It's not like DMW2 where you could see them, there's plenty of gameplay available on youtube, if you don't want spoilers just check out some digimon world ds games since the systems seem pretty similar. There's a run away/escape option.
There's also an OT for the japanese version where you can ask more specific questions if you want.

Stuart444

Random battles that are unavoidable.

Yes you can run away.

Since it was mentioned above, here is the Japanese Import OT.

It's random, old school rpg's couldn't render/it was too much work to have the models running around iirc and it's continued to be a part of jrpg's . FFX was a remaster as in it was just the ps2 era game with imrpoved graphics and other small improvements, so they didn't changed any of the battle systems.
It's not like DMW2 where you could see them, there's plenty of gameplay available on youtube, if you don't want spoilers just check out some digimon world ds games since the systems seem pretty similar. There's a run away/escape option.
There's also an OT for the japanese version where you can ask more specific questions if you want.

Random battles that are unavoidable.

Yes you can run away.

Since it was mentioned above, here is the Japanese Import OT.

agh, thanks guys. so you cannot see the hostile digimon before you battle with them, the fights just occur. that I guess is my biggest concern with this game as an RPG as that's what bothered me about ffs10r. but like you said that was a game from 2 gens ago so if it was a RAM problem, I don't see why with this game they couldn't have made it work, if they wanted to.

also thanks for giving the link to the import OT, might keep it in check.

notaskwid

I hope Magnamon and Imperialdramon Paladin Mode appear in Tri eventually.
ALSO that Hikari finally recognizes Daisuke as the superior boy!
I'm just a bit biased here :)

agh, thanks guys. so you cannot see the hostile digimon before you battle with them, the fights just occur. that I guess is my biggest concern with this game as an RPG as that's what bothered me about ffs10r. but like you said that was a game from 2 gens ago so if it was a RAM problem, I don't see why with this game they couldn't have made it work, if they wanted to.

also thanks for giving the link to the import OT, might keep it in check.

Random battles aren't just a technical limitation, they're also a design choice. I'm sure Cyber Sleuth could support symbolic encounters, but the game was designed around random battles. I personally like them. On screen encounters lack the amazing screen transitions and "oh shit" feel of random encounters.

Random battles aren't just a technical limitation, they're also a design choice. I'm sure Cyber Sleuth could support symbolic encounters, but the game was designed around random battles. I personally like them. On screen encounters lack the amazing screen transitions and "oh shit" feel of random encounters.
To each their own, then. I'm the opposite, as I'm not fond of these particular "oh shit" moments, but whatever. Still fucking hyped for this game.

Top Bottom