• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digimon Community Thread |OT| For all the Digidestined on GAF

I actually find the name pretty intriguing. It suggests a connection of Digimon to smartphone apps or the like, which strikes me as a fairly smart way of bringing the core concept of Digimon to children in 2016, connecting it with the modern technology and forms of user interaction.

I mean, the title itself sounds dumb, but it does seem like the sort of thing that could work for bringing in a new generation to the franchise.

And I'm just excited for the possibility of having new Digimon anime for the first time since Xros Wars, and the fact that this would certainly mean we would be getting a lot of new Digimon created.

It just sounds like they're going to go with a generic I summon this Digimon out of my phone, I mean there are+have been a ton of shows like that. Hopefully they stick to 1/2 partners & a story which isn't toned down for kids exclusively (I didn't like xross wars if oyu haven't already guessed lol). But that's jumping the gun a bit , since all we have is a name.

I keep having dreams that the third movie came out early and I'm watching it :/ Usually through an early online leak. Last night the dream involved an apparently local theater showing of it.

Sept is such a long wait :(
Lol you and your digimon dreams curler :D. I haven't dreamt about digimon in years :(.

lemme guess that anime plot.... digimon is a famous normal smartphone app, played by kids in japan/around the world... but suddenly the digimon ends up materializing in real world then yada yada lol

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Lol you and your digimon dreams curler :D. I haven't dreamt about digimon in years :(.

I have several super-detailed dreams every night so it's inevitable to have some Digimon ones. Used to have them every night when 02 came out. I think my subconscious really wants to see ep 3 :p

Season 3 digivices (d-arc) are being re-released, more news on wtw

The app digimon thing has been confirmed from leaked scans... But GAF doesn't allow posting of them. More news June 9th.
Not related at all (wink wink nudge nudge) - here's a link to digimon fansite with the will who have all the latest information http://withthewill.net

Tusk

Apparently the card set is being sold separately from the D-Arks for 6000 yen. So much for getting both colors now. I should probably wait for the inevitable Ultimate D-Ark if I'm only gonna go far one color with these.

Apparently the card set is being sold separately from the D-Arks for 6000 yen. So much for getting both colors now. I should probably wait for the inevitable Ultimate D-Ark if I'm only gonna go far one color with these.

I'm glad for this. Love getting these card sets and I still have my old D-Ark.

(haven't posted in this thread in such a long time, I'm so behind on stuff...)

EDIT: It comes in the container Takato put his cards in ahhhhhhh I need this now

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
New Digimon anime, fuck yeah!

Don't care if it's "for kids", I've been wanting this to happen since Tri was announced to just be a collection of films. Kind of interesting it seems we might have a subset of Digimon known as "Appmon", wonder if there will be an actual distinction or if they're just Digimon by another name.

By the way, I'm re-watching the Digimon series right now---just got to the end of Adventure and man, the Dark Masters Arc kind of sucks, huh? The first Metal Seadramon episode is just a bore with the random Shellmon attack, the gang getting tricked by a silly scheme, and Anomalocarimon is like a joke basically and Metal Seadramon could've killed the entire cast numerous times but didn't for whatever reason.

New Digimon anime, fuck yeah!

Don't care if it's "for kids", I've been wanting this to happen since Tri was announced to just be a collection of films. Kind of interesting it seems we might have a subset of Digimon known as "Appmon", wonder if there will be an actual distinction or if they're just Digimon by another name.

By the way, I'm re-watching the Digimon series right now---just got to the end of Adventure and man, the Dark Masters Arc kind of sucks, huh? The first Metal Seadramon episode is just a bore with the random Shellmon attack, the gang getting tricked by a silly scheme, and Anomalocarimon is like a joke basically and Metal Seadramon could've killed the entire cast numerous times but didn't for whatever reason.

I'd say the Metal Seadramon part is the weakest part of the Dark Masters arc. I think the rest of the arc is pretty good, although it doesn't hit the same highs as the Vamdemon arc.

Tusk

I'm glad for this. Love getting these card sets and I still have my old D-Ark.

(haven't posted in this thread in such a long time, I'm so behind on stuff...)

EDIT: It comes in the container Takato put his cards in ahhhhhhh I need this now

Yeah, seeing all the details for it, it seems more worth it now.
Just kinda sucks when you want both versions of the digivices. I'll get by though.

Toei posted a PV for part 3, then took it down. I imagine that it should come back up soon. (There are probably mirrors of it if you are impatient. :p)

Takato and Guilmon figure

XmGMvWn.jpg

There was also a Daisuke and V-mon figure announced.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Toei posted a PV for part 3, then took it down. I imagine that it should come back up soon. (There are probably mirrors of it if you are impatient. :p)

Takato and Guilmon figure

XmGMvWn.jpg

There was also a Daisuke and V-mon figure announced.

Awesome. Still waiting on Ruki/Renamon and Beelzebumon BM to show up for pre-order on Ami, since it looks like they aren't Tamashii exclusives.

Stuart444

So saw this on the UK anime twitter account, Digimon seasons 1 and 2 are coming to the UK for home release. The account says it's likely to be the TV edit but likely doesn't mean it will defo be so we'll see.

Though the likely part is probably because they would need to put two of each episode on since there is no uncut dub and doing two episodes (one JP, one EN) would be more expensive.

Still we'll see, it's just nice to see something Digimon being released in the UK of all places lol.

So saw this on the UK anime twitter account, Digimon seasons 1 and 2 are coming to the UK for home release. The account says it's likely to be the TV edit but likely doesn't mean it will defo be so we'll see.

Though the likely part is probably because they would need to put two of each episode on since there is no uncut dub and doing two episodes (one JP, one EN) would be more expensive.

Still we'll see, it's just nice to see something Digimon being released in the UK of all places lol.
Hopefully they don't pull the 6 episodes per blu ray bs anime fans buy into.

Finally caught up on Tri. I enjoyed part 1 for the most part, but only liked the back half of part 2. There are some ideas I like. The "veteran/mature" perspective of being a DigiDestined is decent so far. Great to see some progression where
Digimon are getting to their final form that never did before.

I have some worries though. I feel like they are pulling from some old ideas that I don't really care to see repeated. A lot of it feels creatively dry. They could be setting up for some twists and whatnot, but simply invoking these old ideas is bothering me a bit.

Also, I'm worried about this movie format. In making sure each movie feels like its own single work, the moments of cool down and climax rebuild in the first half of part 2 makes the drama for each movie feel too isolated from each other. Standard episode format would have had a more direct incremental build (or at least would have felt more like it). Even in the way Crunchyroll splits them up into episodes, it's still very easy to see the "first two episodes are mostly cool down, second two episodes are more drama and combat" layout.

But yeah, overall I look forward to see where they go from here. A lot of unanswered questions to explore.

still haven't caught up the "second set of 4 episodes" on tri. with ramadan coming up maybe i'll use my break at work to catch up on em since i won't be fuckin eating

for ramadan? i haven't had a good attitude for over a year, dude.

Well maybe you should work on it lol. Part of Ramadan is kinda about self reflection.
Anyways , lets not derail this thread(my bad) lol, pm me if you want to disccus it .

wait, are you a muslim? if you are, there's an OT for ramadan ready in off topic.

but yeah, back on topic...maybe even tonight if i don't feel like catching up on cards i'll look for some digimon to catch up on

Thanks, didn't know about it.

Well maybe you should work on it lol. Part of Ramadan is kinda about self reflection.
Anyways , lets not derail this thread(my bad) lol, pm me if you want to disccus it .
wait, are you a muslim? if you are, there's an OT for ramadan ready in off topic.

but yeah, back on topic...maybe even tonight if i don't feel like catching up on cards i'll look for some digimon to catch up on

Stuart444

Since the thread is a bit dead while we wait for the next part of Tri to come out (feels so long ;_; ), here are some of my favourite songs from Digimon:

Digimon Savers insert song: Believer

Digimon Savers Op song 2: Hirari

Digimon Adventure: Seven

Digimon Adventure Tri: Brave Heart (chose this one just because it's from the concert they did last year)

And since I chose so many from the anime, I feel like the latest (release in English) game deserves a mention:

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth - Final Phase

One of my favourite tracks from CS.

Digimon has so many great tracks (and anime wise, most of the recognizable ones come from Koji Wada ;_; ) so if I was to name all the ones I'd love, that'd cover most of the ops/ends/inserts from most of the series and include a good portion of the Digimon World 1 OST.

Ah what the hell, here is one from Digimon World 1:

Digimon World 1: File City (Night)

i'm guessing since episodes 5-8 have been out for a while that y'all have discussed them to your fullest in the thread already. well i guess it's a good thing then that I haven't been around much lol.

I just watched episides 5 and 6 last night. it's going good, hinting still at some more takari...

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
They launched a website for the new digimon series and well... It looks generic.

http://gematsu.com/2016/06/first-look-digimon-universe-new-protagonist-digimon
Digimon-Universe-Appli-Monsters-Twitter_001.jpg

It seems they're just branding it with "digimon universe" since they referred to them as Appmon rather than Digimon IIRC.
So...this looks like a generic monster anime with Digimon references so they don't have to start from scratch designing new monsters+the already establish brand.
Getting a Digimon Fusion vibe from this -_-.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
"Generic" is right. They went full on monster app :/ If someone showed me this pic without the logo, I would think it's another Monster Strike etc. campaign.

If anything, they all look like Shoutmon variations. We already had Xros Wars once...

The blue one and the one on the left card look Shoutmon-esque, but I don't really see it with the others. And Shoutmon had a great design, so I don't really think that's necessarily a terrible thing.

I'm still waiting on more details with regards to the story and characters, but I don't have any real worries so far.

It reminds me of yokai watch(I've only seen posters/videos in a game store) & monster rancher. It doesn't seem like s01-s05 digimon to me, closer to xross wars. With the digimon Universe tag, I'm not expecting this to be a proper digimon show. Looks like they're going full throttle towards the kids market.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
It reminds me of yokai watch(I've only seen posters/videos in a game store) & monster rancher. It doesn't seem like s01-s05 digimon to me, closer to xross wars. With the digimon Universe tag, I'm not expecting this to be a proper digimon show. Looks like they're going full throttle towards the kids market.

Yeah it definitely feels like they are going after the mobile-children market here. I'm still obligated to watch it, of course :p

I will watch any Digimon series. Any and all.

...is not something I should admit because I hated Fusion and am dreading when I eventually go through seasons 2 and 3 of that.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I sat through not only Boy Hunters, but watched all of Dragon Collection and Oreca Battle last year for some reason. I can watch through anything... >_> I seem to check out most monster battle shows, still. Must be the brightly coloured dragons. (I plan on watching Puzzle and Dragons X this summer, too).

First look at some Digimon Universe stuff

Interesting video. A look at the protagonists, too.

The main Digimon is voiced by the same VA as Sparrowmon from Xros Wars and Chika from Savers.

Looks good, I always wanted something like this when I was a kid. Gatchmon... *sigh*
The English phrases are pretty clever. I think they're being pretty clear that this isn't a mainline digimon show, since it lacks agumon & any other known digimon for that matter.

Looks good, I always wanted something like this when I was a kid. Gatchmon... *sigh*
The English phrases are pretty clever. I think they're being pretty clear that this isn't a mainline digimon show, since it lacks agumon & any other known digimon for that matter.

I'm guessing it will be similar to Xros Wars in that regard.

But I wouldn't be surprised to see familiar Digimon popping up more as the show goes on.

It's good to focus on new Digimon from the start, rather than having them upstaged by the same old ones right from the start.

Aside from 02, most previous anime have mostly focused on new Digimon as the protagonists, for that matter.

I'm guessing it will be similar to Xros Wars in that regard.

But I wouldn't be surprised to see familiar Digimon popping up more as the show goes on.

It's good to focus on new Digimon from the start, rather than having them upstaged by the same old ones right from the start.

Aside from 02, most previous anime have mostly focused on new Digimon as the protagonists, for that matter.

Xross Wars had Digimon in it's main name, this is referred to as Digimon Universe. I think they're going for something along the lines of Pokemon&Yokai Watch where the anime keeps going on.Thus, there could be two different "Digimon" series airing simultaneously if this is successful. But this is all speculation on my part, but it seems to me that this is the direction they're trying to take it - there's a ton of money to be made here, people would've said there wasn't any room for Yokai watch due to Pokemon if they were asked before it became successful.
I wasn't saying that the old Digimon not being there was a bad thing, just the lack of them shows that they're doing their own thing , rather than what usually happens when a new Digimon series/product gets announced.
I'm indifferent atm, there's some good designs and some lazy designs there imo. They look like in-training/rookie digimon atm though so I don't want to be harsh based on the limited info we have.
What's funny is the summary of Gachmon doesn't even have a data type(Vaccine,data,virus,free etc). Definitely not traditional Digimon atm.
Also Bokutachi has a translation & some other info up:
http://bokutachinodigitalworld.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/digimon-universe-applimonster-info.html

Ocotber 2016 release.

PV translation as followed:

We didn't know... their exsistance...
This Autumn

A brand new story...
is starting

The Artificial intelligent that's hidden in the smart phone
Applimonster

The numbers of monsters are limited to the numbers of apps on the smartphone.
Applimonster,
AKA "Appmon".
They are born in between the Real World and Digital Space for the sake of the system and human.
They are prepared as “App Life form” artificial intelligent , with minds of their own.
They live like an app, and hidden within the network.
In real world, to summon Appmon, you use Appli-drive, you can summon and realized it in the real world.
This story’s protagonist is Shinkai Haru, 13 years old, First year Junior high school.
A protagonist with calm and kind personality.
He makes firm decisions, and opinion, has a side of strong heart.
He loves reading, he’s always been looking to be a protagonist in a story.
One day, a sudden wild rampage incident leads him an Appli-drive.
Are you the protagonist?
Yes/No.
Then their fates appear, a Search applimonster, Gatchamon.
Haru and Gatchamon becomes buddy, inorder to erase the virus they started their battles with appmons.
“Am I really becoming a Protagonist?!”
Then they meet more comrades that have their pairing with Applimonsters, to save the world and discover new mysteries.
Appmons can evolve through fusion.
Pair with Appmons, to “super-Appmon”!
Then a new evolution, “App-fuse!”
“DoGatchemon!”(?)
With great development, starts a brand new story.
Octorber, 2016, TV anime start!

Gatchamon: “Let’s search for your future!”

Series director: Koga Gou (Known for Doki Doki pretty cure, One piece Sabo episode)
Series compositor: Kato Yoichi (Known for: Yokai Watch and Aikatsu)
Character Design: Onuki Kenichi (Known for Gundam Build Fighters, and character design director for Gundam: Iron-Blood Orphans)

More from Gematsu:

Appmon Chips – 240 yen each. Chips featuring individual Applimon. Launching in early October.
Appli Drive – 4,500 yen. A toy compatible with the Appmon Chips that has various modes and sound effects. Launching in early October.
3DS Retail Game – A Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters 3DS retail game promising a grand adventure is planned, but has not been showcased. An eShop game will arrive first…
3DS eShop Game – Appli Monsters: Cyber Arena (tentative title) is compatible with the QR codes on the Appmon Chips. Scan in your Appmon and use them in battle. Launching this fall.
Web Integration – Scan Appmon Chips with your smartphone to complete various missions.
Appmon 7code Pad – 3,200 yen. Launching in mid-November.
Appmon Band – 1,500 yen. Launching in early October.
Appmon Pairing Cover Set – 800 yen set. Includes two Appmon Chips and a cover for the Appmon Drive. Launching in late October.
Appliarise Action Figures – 1,200 yen each. Applimon figures.

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2016/06/digimon-...me-3ds-game-more-unveiled#yl5X2XUzUVQwkuxC.99

They are totes going mainstream for kids.

Top Bottom