• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digimon Community Thread |OT| For all the Digidestined on GAF

Zubz

Banned
Appmon still looks like Digimon, but at the same time, I'm really not feeling it. I'm hoping it gets Digimon to be more popular without overpowering the series popular, though!

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Gotta get the toys out and marketed, like, now!

2016y06m09d_130923058.jpg

Meicoomon's Ultimate/Perfect evolution revealed - also two existing digimon as Mega evolutions - which I'm like 99.99% sure won't be used in tri.
Seems pretty cool/bancho-mon looking.
Just an FYI:
This isn't the form we see in Tri part 2 , but the form on the tri part 3 poster

http://bokutachinodigitalworld.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/meicoomon-perfect-form-and-name-revealed.html

I like the vita and all, but the low res screen makes viewing screenshots so bad,stuff doesn't look that bad on the vita though.

Gotta get the toys out and marketed, like, now!

Those don't look half bad!

Tusk

Those two ultimate are 100% likely place holder.
I'm still hoping the ultimate is gonna be that new dragon Digimon they've yet to officially reveal. Would be cool to have a big dragon fight between it and Holydramon

I'd say
spoiler
tag it for now. Tri is still a fresh on-going series so it feels fair to spoiler tag it. At least until the next OVA.
which will hopefully be sooooooon

okay well the only things i got to say are

-
i'm glad to see tk and kari spend more time together. even if they're taking it slow...takari takari takari. takari is life.

-
i really wish they would give joe a break. i get how they're trying to do that character arc where he doesn't want to be a part of the team anymore because he wants to live his life but he realizes how critical he is to the team and has to come back - but i wish they'd spin it in a way where he really just gets to do what he wants and needs - and that's to study. and i can relate to that. and i'd have rather seen them show PROGRESS in his studies instead of just endless studying with the same conversations over and over again about it. because if he makes some progress then he can finally can take his mind and edge off of it for a while and join his friends if he wants that - after the studying's over.

-
they're making mimi kinda weird. like those outfits and izzy's reaction to the body shot of her...eh, i dunno.

-
the new chick is cool i guess but for now she feels superfluous. i was expecting at first for them to show that the digidestined have other friends outside of each other in the digidestined but it turns out mei is another character with a digimon so that's that.

-
ken coming back...does that mean all the rest of adventure 2 cast is coming back too? i didn't love those characters but i wouldn't mind them bringing them back as long as they don't fuck with the takari ship.

Meicoomon’s ultimate/perfect is called Meicrackmon. Awkward name aside it looks nice, its not a angel rehash… and of course they gave her big visible boobs.

GODDAMMITWHYYOURUINEDIT

Siiigh, a decent design ruined by pandering.

And on the other side of things is Applimons. Never watched Fusion and dont care watching any time soon, and this new series looks kinda like that series. I have no idea what to think of it, but it also looks like its not my thing. Atleast it looks better than Fusion?

After Cyber Sleuth being good and localized, things are looking surprisingly worrying for now. We got a game that may have underperformed and was bit troubled in performance & gameplay while also pandering nostalgia, while we are also getting a series that may end up failing like Fusion again. And who knows if Tri would become disappointing, there is even chance for that. It would suck to see Digimon go on hiatus again…

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Meicoomon’s ultimate/perfect is called Meicrackmon. Awkward name aside it looks nice, its not a angel rehash… and of course they gave her big visible boobs.

Well, guess it's settled on her gender! Hmmm the form shown in the OVA seems like an in-between, since she still has the stubby legs and such.

Stuart444

Some info from V-Jump via WTW (No links cause of scans):

Appmon:

They mention that, at least at the beginning, 'evolution' in Appmon will be via App Fusion (this seemed obvious based on the early promotional stuff, but nice to know it officially.)

They also give general overviews on the App Drive, the Appmon chips (how they get inserted into the Drive and the Applink.)

Appmon will have a booth at the Jump Victory Carnival.

The 3DS game will haev a 'Deck Battle RPG', and in the game they specify that 'All' the Appmon Chips will be available.

You will get Appmon Chips in the game by scanning QR codes on various products.

If you register chips (and other products?) you'll have chances to win rare Appmon Chips.

D-Ark:

Various details about the 15th D-Ark.

You'll be able to evolve to Kuzuhamon Miko Mode and Megidramon.

When your Digimon evolve, the evolution text from the anime will appear onscreen.

Leomon and Cyberdramon will be available as partners.

They respecify ordering will begin July 22nd.

Cards:

They restate the formation of the 65 cards: 59 cards will be reprints, 2 will be new, 2 will be 'original cards' with 'special illustrations', a red card, and a blue card.
They mention the book and the tin that we knew about and the order date of July 22nd.

Small non-news anime stuff:

Much of it is cut off, but it shows off HerculesKabuterimon and has a description about how this is MegaKabuterimon's form when he evolved to an Ultimate level.

There are also some small DigiFes details we already knew and how the latest tri. PV is on the website.

Linkz:

This just refers to an event starting on June 24th that will let you get Meicoomon in Linkz.

It also refers to some 'Mega Dungeon Quests' coming soon that'll feature BlackWarGreymon and VenomVamdemon. If you do enough dungeon levels you'll get materials to evolve to them.

It's cool that they're including Leomon in the D-Ark. I wonder what his line will be, since Leomon never involved in Tamers.

Hopefully Lopmon and Guardromon are included, too.

Good news dub lovers! Jeff Nimoy is reprising his role of Tentomon for the Tri dub.

Thrilled to announce I am returning to voice Tentomon in Digimon Tri! No writing or directing this time around, but still, great to play my old digital friend again!

Link

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Good news dub lovers! Jeff Nimoy is reprising his role of Tentomon for the Tri dub.

Link

Heh, I like that "no writing or directing" bit :p He remembers...

So wait, they are officially dubbing it, then. I wonder if they will air as those episodes on tv, then? (plz release subbed blu rays eventually...)

Stuart444

Link

I think the bigger news here is they are actually looking into/starting the process of dubbing.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the dub. I hope they keep in mind that people watching it will be adults who grew up with the series. They shouldn't make too many changes (outside of name stuff) or make the script more childish in the name of making it better for kids in the west.

But I'll probably enjoy it regardless providing they get many of the old voices from the original dub back!

edit:

(plz release subbed blu rays eventually...)

I wouldn't rule out a subbed release tbh unless they butcher the version so badly that they can't use the same video clips (due to edits) and don't want to pay to have two video/audio/sub sources put onto the BD.

Would love a dual audio BD release though.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't rule out a subbed release tbh unless they butcher the version so badly that they can't use the same video clips (due to edits) and don't want to pay to have two video/audio/sub sources put onto the BD.

Would love a dual audio BD release though.

The content/mouth movement is only one reason for subs not making it here. It's more the license, music/voice contract stuff that I'd be more worried on.

Stuart444

The content/mouth movement is only one reason for subs not making it here. It's more the license, music/voice contract stuff that I'd be more worried on.

Eh, I don't think it'd be too hard. I mean we got the series subbed on netflix including all voices, songs (most of which are just remixed for tri), etc. AND they need to license that stuff for showing it on streaming sites anyway. They would just need to do a similar deal to that except specify that it is for physical media (since streaming and physical both need different deals but one not being impossible means the other isn't impossible I'd say)

I'd be more worried about the episodes being cut up to bits where we would need two video sources, one for the edited, one for the unedited version just for a subbed & dubbed release.

tl;dr: the fact that it's streamable in parts of the world including America means that an America BD subbed release isn't impossible. UK isn't impossible either but would require some more slight hoops I'd imagine.

LycanXIII

Heh, I like that "no writing or directing" bit :p He remembers...

So wait, they are officially dubbing it, then. I wonder if they will air as those episodes on tv, then? (plz release subbed blu rays eventually...)

Is Fusion still airing on Nicktoons? I think Tri would be cool to show on Toonami, even though Digimon has never been on CN in the US.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, I don't think it'd be too hard. I mean we got the series subbed on netflix including all voices, songs (most of which are just remixed for tri), etc. AND they need to license that stuff for showing it on streaming sites anyway. They would just need to do a similar deal to that except specify that it is for physical media (since streaming and physical both need different deals but one not being impossible means the other isn't impossible I'd say)

I'd be more worried about the episodes being cut up to bits where we would need two video sources, one for the edited, one for the unedited version just for a subbed & dubbed release.

tl;dr: the fact that it's streamable in parts of the world including America means that an America BD subbed release isn't impossible. UK isn't impossible either but would require some more slight hoops I'd imagine.

Butbut why nothing else Digimon subbed on disc? :( I'm seriously even take those Toei subs!

Stuart444

Butbut why nothing else Digimon subbed on disc? :( I'm seriously even take those Toei subs!

Probably because subbed only wouldn't be popular in comparison to the dubbed for physical companies in the west. But it would also be more expensive and/or troublesome to put two video streams, two audio streams and two subbed versions (assuming they do subs for the hearing impaired for the dub version).

At least this is my assumption as to why Manga Entertainment isn't doing a subbed version for the UK and just a dubbed version. It's not like say... Tenchi Muyo which could put an uncut dub onto disc that needs only two audio streams and one video streams.

These are just assumptions of course but I think that with Netflix and Crunchyroll both proving they can stream Digimon in the west proves that it isn't impossible for JP Audio versions of the anime to be put onto disc. The main negotiation would probably be royalties related since streaming = subscriptions related while physical = how many are sold related.

Hope that makes sense. It's still a lot of assumptions on my part but I think it makes sense.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Probably because subbed only wouldn't be popular in comparison to the dubbed for physical companies in the west. But it would also be more expensive and/or troublesome to put two video streams, two audio streams and two subbed versions (assuming they do subs for the hearing impaired for the dub version).

Some companies are able to. Discotek was able to have separate releases for Samurai Pizza Cats and Monster Farm/Rancher. However, they did say that they aren't able to acquire the Sonic X sub, since the Japanese side of things wants to make sure that the dub can sell first, and then consider (that holding hostage thing, reminds me with games like Dragon Quest where if X sells well, they we can put out Y).

Stuart444

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1240743

Film distribution company Eleven Arts and Toei Animation announced on Wednesday that they will release an English language version of Digimon Adventure tri. – Chapter 1: Reunion in theaters in the United States. The companies will hold a one-night Fathom Events screening in more than 300 US theaters on September 15, followed by a national theatrical release in major cities.

Voice actor Jeff Nimoy previously confirmed over Twitter that he would reprise his role as Tentomon for the English dub.

Already knew about the Tentomon thing since Paper posted it above but the other stuff is new.

Too bad UK won't get a release like that here, would love to see it in cinemas :(

Tentomon is one of the more unique voices in Digimon so that's great to hear. Lol at the fact he had to point out hes not directing etc.

I hope Josh Seth is asked to voice Tai

Most likely, unless he asks for stupid amounts of money - he's said that he would reprise the role many times( I think the latest was last year in fact).

Stuart444

Jeff nimoy describing recording, the sound engineer sounds like he has no knowledge of the series since Jeff had to explain Kabuterimon to him. Sora, izzy & patamon are back.

http://jeffnimoyanime.tumblr.com/post/146708330376/my-digimon-tri-recording-experience

Deleted? Says URL not found on the link.

Also good to see that a few are back.

edit:

http://withthewill.net/threads/1615...ters-Jeff-Nimoy-is-Tentomon-More-Cast-Updates

Confirmed according to the link above:

Patamon: Laura Summer
Tentomon: Jeff Nimoy
Izzy: Mona Marshall
Sora: Colleen O’Shaughnessy
TK: Johnny Yong Bosch

TKs actor from 02, Doug Erholtz, is playing a recurring role.

Also, thanks to her Twitter, we can probably safely guess that Lara Jill Miller is NOT returning as Kari.

Also sounds like some people jumped the gun:

Edit- Removed the links to the various Jeff Nimoy pages. As our friends at Digimon World Tour pointed out, they've all been taken down, so all the links were dead anyways.

Also, removed the link to Laura Summer's page as her comment about being back as Patamon has vanished also.

Wait so break this down for me, who is and isn't coming back for the Tri dub?

I hope they get the rights to reuse some of the American OST. That orchestral music was god tier..and nostalgic

Depends, whos dubbing this time around? are they related to any of the companies that did the dubbing for digimon before? has the composer of that series put any stupid rights issues on the music ala how faulconer did to DBZ's American OST?

Factors need to be analyzed before this is even possible.

Stuart444

Wait so break this down for me, who is and isn't coming back for the Tri dub?

Depends, whos dubbing this time around? are they related to any of the companies that did the dubbing for digimon before? has the composer of that series put any stupid rights issues on the music ala how faulconer did to DBZ's American OST?

Factors need to be analyzed before this is even possible.

Toei is heavily involved this time from the looks of it and Nimoy is only VAing, not directing/writing which he was involved with originally. Also seems to be using the Adventure branding this time based on the below images.

That's about all we know. Along with the press release of course:

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
No Lara Jill Miller Kari would be a damn shame. Also, really odd that TK's VA would return and not do TK.

No Lara Jill Miller Kari would be a damn shame. Also, really odd that TK's VA would return and not do TK.

Yeah, maybe they think its weird that kari & T.K's voices haven't changed since they were little, only reason I can think of that them both are being left out specifically.

EDIT- Haven't changed much

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, maybe they think its weird that kari & T.K's voices haven't changed since they were little, only reason I can think of that them both are being left out specifically.
Eh, I think Lara would be a perfect fit for tri Kari. As much as I love 02 Kari, she didn't really sound like an 11 year old.

Eh, I think Lara would be a perfect fit for tri Kari. As much as I love 02 Kari, she didn't really sound like an 11 year old.

I like her voice as well, was just speculating the reasoning behind the weird decision.
They were both really young in 01 and it'd be weird if kari's voice changed when TK's didn't, since they're both the same age. Kari didn't have a VA change in 02 only TK did.
This reminded me of how weird is was to have Lara voice Takto's teacher in Tamers as a kid, confused the continuity of things initially.

Edit - What are they doing D=
https://twitter.com/TheRealReisz/status/749003920014340096
Maybe they haven't finalized casting - which would be weird considering Jeff has recorded already.

Edit 2- awww yiss

https://twitter.com/Kivat_III/status/748962772810031105

Stuart444

Well Jeff said that most of the kids have been recast similar to the Japanese version but it does conflict with who has confirmed they are returning Kids VA wise (then again, 2 or 3 returnees are not exactly 'most' of the kids). Not to mention Joshua said he is in talks implying that they are recording certain voices as their schedules allow (as in not doing it all at once or anything like that. They are recording some voices while negotiating with others at the same time)

Just speculation from what we've heard so far.

But yeah, I suppose it's just a case of be prepared for voice changes in any case?

Would suck to try to cash in on the nostalgia factor only to have nobody or nothing sound the same, DBZ's current movies were able to pull it off because FUNi never really changed the cast over the years which made for easy nostalgia cash ins.

C'mon Toei pull this off and you got instant ticket sales.

I've been wondering this, but it wouldn't surprise me if they just skipped it for Tri's immediate nostalgia cash in.

I mean Fusion season 3 also is an anniversary season with full of nostalgia to cash in on. If they're getting the old VAs back mine as well start dubbing the third season of Fusion

Top Bottom