• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth |OT| The Prodigious Mon Returns (Courtesy of a Petition)

Slayven

Copy and pasting and code scan only come up in a few dungeons later, don't worry. Just have a kinda balanced team in your party you can do most hacks.

The gate hacks are used throughout the game to progress to the next level of Kowloon.

The next three (including Copy/Paste) are used later in the game to solve light puzzles.

Then the next five reduce/eliminate encounters or increase/instantly cause them.

If you check your profile card you can see the requirements to unlock each skill but remember that you need to maintain the requirements to use the skill. If you stop meeting them you will lose the ability until you do.

Thanks, also find out you can cast evasion and attraction on yourself. I was wondering why there were no items like that in game.

Xenoflare

FFFFF I'm stuck with the Chapter 7 Jimiken fight because most of my mons are vaccines.

Oh boy this is going to take a long time building up a new team with virus mons

Tips on earning money for someone on Chapter 8? Got 100k saved at the moment, but I feel I'm going to need more if I want to have a go at scoring these Tactician USB's.

Dugna

Tips on earning money for someone on Chapter 8? Got 100k saved at the moment, but I feel I'm going to need more if I want to have a go at scoring these Tactician USB's.

Well if you just start a develop then save just before its done and reset till you have them all it doesn't require that much money.

Kinsei

Banned
I think I have my team set for the rest of the game. Lucemon: FM for virus, MarinAngemon for vaccine, healing, and SP regen, and Plesiomon for Data.

Holy Shit Hardmode, this may actually be one of the hardest JRPGs I've ever played. Chapter 19 has this ridiculous boss
with a massive super-AOE that does 3000 damage and heals him for about a third of his health. This guy walled me hard until I realized I should purposely switch in corpses so that his AOE attack only hits one person, thus mitigating his healing. Not sure if I was supposed to win by spamming revival capsules and shuffling in corpses but a win's a win.

yami4ct

Holy Shit Hardmode, this may actually be one of the hardest JRPGs I've ever played. Chapter 19 has this ridiculous boss
with a massive super-AOE that does 3000 damage and heals him for about a third of his health. This guy walled me hard until I realized I should purposely switch in corpses so that his AOE attack only hits one person, thus mitigating his healing. Not sure if I was supposed to win by spamming revival capsules and shuffling in corpses but a win's a win.

As someone used to mainline SMT and Etrian Odyssey, Hard Mode has been a complete cakewalk for me. Pay the barest attention to what status effects monsters use and setup a balanced party and everything else just slides through.

As someone used to mainline SMT and Etrian Odyssey, Hard Mode has been a complete cakewalk for me. Pay the barest attention to what status effects monsters use and setup a balanced party and everything else just slides through.

I agree for most of the game, and most of the difficulty spikes are easy to overcome by just using typing or status effect protection. Chapter 19 boss though... no BS, just hits you really hard and heals really hard. Of all the RPGs I've played this guy was probably one of the hardest main story bosses, and definitely the hardest mandatory story boss at the end of an RPG, where in most games you steamroll through everything.

Still I like hard versus easy, and I had to jury rig a strategy after a bunch of team alterations didn't do anything. Still, if a game is gonna be hard, it shouldn't include unskippable cutscenes...

Breads

Banned
I'm glad the systems/ grind/ team building aspect is so compelling in scattered doses.

Because the story just isn't doing it for me. For as many cues as they took from megaten I wish they brought us some interesting and/ or likable characters. I'm giving this game a pass because it seems like an accidental success so I'm probably asking for more than they were trying to deliver but I really hope they step up their game writing wise going forward.

notaskwid

I'm glad the systems/ grind/ team building aspect is so compelling in scattered doses.

Because the story just isn't doing it for me. For as many cues as they took from megaten I wish they brought us some interesting and/ or likable characters. I'm giving this game a pass because it seems like an accidental success so I'm probably asking for more than they were trying to deliver but I really hope they step up their game writing wise going forward.

Hm, the base game is pretty much like the Digimon story games on the ds though (and I think I might prefer the minimalist aproach to story in those games even). The only thing that got upped here was the production values (MUCH better graphics).

Hm, the base game is pretty much like the Digimon story games on the ds though (and I think I might prefer the minimalist aproach to story in those games even). The only thing that got upped here was the production values (MUCH better graphics).

Environments are gorgeous, if a bit repetitive, but what I'm really impressed with are the Digimon themselves.
They ALL look great and have been adapted well and each is filled with personality and unique animations. That's something even Pokemon hasn't yet accomplished.

I feel like this game has a severe lack of awesome Data type Megas and Ultras...I just realized I haven't had one for most of the game yet have tons of awesome Vaccine, Virus and even Free

Kinsei

Banned
I feel like this game has a severe lack of awesome Data type Megas and Ultras...I just realized I haven't had one for most of the game yet have tons of awesome Vaccine, Virus and even Free

Plesiomon is a great Data type with a signature move that affects all enemies and pierces.

notaskwid

Environments are gorgeous, if a bit repetitive, but what I'm really impressed with are the Digimon themselves.
They ALL look great and have been adapted well and each is filled with personality and unique animations. That's something even Pokemon hasn't yet accomplished.
Yes, absolutely, and it makes a huge diference in enjoyability for this game too.
Most of the gameplay systems were already in place in the ds games though, so if you really enjoy this game, you might want to check something like Digimon Story: Dawn. Less refined, of course, and with horrendous graphics :p
Now if we could get a Digimon World 3 like game with Cyber Sleuth like graphics and updated gameplay...

Most of the gameplay systems were already in place in the ds games though, so if you really enjoy this game, you might want to check something like Digimon Story: Dawn. Less refined, of course, and with horrendous graphics :p

I can echo that sentiment. Put so many hours into Dusk when it released. More Digimon than in this game and I enjoyed the Digivolution chart much more since IIRC once you digivolved you could look back on the chart at the same screen whereas this game you can only see one Digivolution forward or back without entering the field guide.

notaskwid

I can echo that sentiment. Put so many hours into Dusk when it released. More Digimon than in this game and I enjoyed the Digivolution chart much more since IIRC once you digivolved you could look back on the chart at the same screen whereas this game you can only see one Digivolution forward or back without entering the field guide.

Yeah, I was pretty puzzled by that decision too, managing stored digimons, digivolving and devolving also feels a bit more cumbersome in this game too, imo.
One thing that caught me off too was rushing Omegamon just so I could get Imperialdramon PM (because in Dawn/Dusk you had to DNA FM with Omegamon to get him) only to find out that you don't need it.

Ultimadrago

Yes, absolutely, and it makes a huge diference in enjoyability for this game too.
Now if we could get a Digimon World 3 game with Cyber Sleuth graphics...

I actually don't like the barebones take of the DS games at all.

I would also prefer a Digimon World 2 with Cyber Sleuth mechanics and visuals (this time being PS4 based and not Vita based). Slightly more involved characters, actual dungeon crawling and not-World's-3's navigation system with crappy random encounter rate and constant backtracking through it. The tunnels later on rarely help matters and come far too late into the game. World 2's Colosseum was also better.

That said, the evolution system was awful and dungeon visuals were poor (though Digimon World 3's negative colored normal world was just as bad). With some improvements, there could be real good done with Cyber Sleuth tier upgrades. Cyber Sleuth is certainly the best Digimon game to date.

Gerugamesh

Neo Member
So is it likely that Next Order will get localized too? Everything I've seen seems to indicate that Cyber Sleuth has been a success.

Getting to the 'Great Challenge' side quests is starting to get annoying now. I managed to get to blkwargreymon without any tactician drives or xp boosting digimon almost 10 chapters ago and I STILL can't do the quests to evolve any further. I've been stuck with him for what feels like an eternity at lv 99. The carrot on the stick of fighting similar things that I can't reach because of the random barrier is frustrating.

So is it likely that Next Order will get localized too? Everything I've seen seems to indicate that Cyber Sleuth has been a success.

It definitely seems more likely now than it did before Cyber Sleuth's release. I get the feeling that this game has exceeded sales expectations from what I've seen/heard.

The only Digimon game I ever played prior to this one was Digimon World 1, lol. I remember trying so hard to get MetalGreymon, and failing. That hurt so bad, I gave up on the game haha.

notaskwid

I actually don't like the barebones take of the DS games at all.

I would also prefer a Digimon World 2 with Cyber Sleuth mechanics and visuals (this time being PS4 based and not Vita based). Slightly more involved characters, actual dungeoun crawling and not-World's-3's navigation system with crappy random encounter rate and constant backtracking through it. The tunnels later on rarely help matters and come far too late into the gamr. World 2's Colosseum was also better.

That said, the evolution system was awful and dungeoun visuals were poor (though Digimon World 3's negative colored normal world was just as bad). With some improvements, there could be real good done with Cyber Sleuth tier upgrades. It's certainly the best Digimon game to date.

I can't share your opinion, as I don't like 'pure' dungeon crawlers in the least, and every single one that I tried (including World 2) I have put down in less than 3 hours.
Also, I love Digimon World 3, and is still my favorite Digimon game, even if not the best, and would certainly like a new game similar to it. There is just a bigger sense of adventure in it, I guess. Every Digimon you get having such a big evolution tree, being able to swap evolutions on the go, DNA during battle, limit break like burst evolutions during battle, minigames like the card game which was great and overall a slower and more rewarding progress (imo) makes it my favorite type of Digimon game. Sadly, there is only one, because there is much they could improve in the actual structure of the game.

notaskwid

The only Digimon game I ever played prior to this one was Digimon World 1, lol. I remember trying so hard to get MetalGreymon, and failing. That hurt so bad, I gave up on the game haha.
Lol I got Metal Greymon and in the same day he evolved pooped the ground and turned into SkullGreymon. Was still beast ahah.

Edit: Sorry DP

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, I took the plunge guys, I decided to go with the Vita instead of the PS4. Why? Portability. The 3DS spoiled me to home consoles (until the NX comes out). Plus, most PS4 games I want are also PC. I didn't even realize SFV was PC until just recently, I thought it was PS4 exclusive.

Obviously I have to buy Cyber Sleuth digitally after setup, but I also got LittleBigPlanet, UMvC3, and FFX HD physical just to further justify the purchase. I can't frickin' wait, man.

Kugar77

No valentine this year, have a 6 pack of double ipa, distinctly remember digivolving and undigivolving to get veemon in digimon world 1 for ps1 (that was my last digimon game), Screw it, by the end of the night, I expect to have bought the ps4 version (along with vita borderlands). Let's do this

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
No valentine this year, have a 6 pack of double ipa, distinctly remember digivolving and undigivolving to get veemon in digimon world 1 for ps1 (that was my last digimon game), Screw it, by the end of the night, I expect to have bought the ps4 version (along with vita borderlands). Let's do this

Veemon in Digimon World 1? I thought that was only first generation Digimon?

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Hm, no, vmon is not in World 1

I thought so. I know it was a while since I played it, but I distinctly remember it being 1st gen only. Maybe the guy I quoted was thinking of Digimon World 2?

In Digimon World 3 Veemon was the only rookie that you couldn't get as a starter and you had to track him down.

what chapter do i get to start fusing Digimon?
thats when i know ill start going in hard on the making super digimon
currently on ch3, and rocking Gargomon, Starmon,and Waspmon

Gerugamesh

Neo Member
All this Digimon World talk reminds me that I'd really appreciate a PSN re-release of 1-3 since their physical versions go for $40+ each.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
All this Digimon World talk reminds me that I'd really appreciate a PSN re-release of 1-3 since their physical versions go for $40+ each.

I'd die and ascend this plane if Digimon World 1 (let alone all 3 of them) were re-released. If Cyber Sleuth is doing as well as its leading itself on to be, it might be possible.

Just finished the Main Case of Chapter 6. When do you start getting Mirror Dungeons that are good? Grinding is pretty dull when the best Digimon I can fight outside of the main quest are rookies.

Croc

Banned
Right? I just checked my Mega team and they are consumed by Virus typing. Lol

yuuuup, same here. I didn't really plan a team ahead and I ended up with so many virus types that I had to actually sit down and go through the list and pick out some Mega vaccine and data types to balance out my team so I didn't get screwed over.

grimmiq

Just finished the Main Case of Chapter 6. When do you start getting Mirror Dungeons that are good? Grinding is pretty dull when the best Digimon I can fight outside of the main quest are rookies.

For grinding there was a great side quest around Chapter 4 (find the gears for Haguromon), after that I found nothing decent to grind on until around Chapter 9.

Top Bottom