• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth |OT| The Prodigious Mon Returns (Courtesy of a Petition)

Damn you Lucemon. I'm one speed stat away from getting it to digivolve and each time I leave it in the farm for 30 min either it's hp or sp gets raised instead.

+80 Atk
+19 Spd

Only on chapter 9 so I have no alternatives that I know of that will raise speed (no nimble patches yet or whatever digifood is needed). Got 2 treadmills running and a nimble leader as well. Now I'm brute forcing my way through the game's story until nimble patches are available. I think I'm playing this game wrong.

4/7 demon lords so far, the other 3 are just a digivolution away.

This is happening based on personality I'm guessing. There's no reason for HP/SP getting an increase otherwise.

80/19 is pretty doable for a Lucemon with a Fighter personality

I'm in Chapter 7 now, over 12 hours into the game. The localization is really, really unpolished. This is the substandard level of editing which might have been acceptable in the PS1 era when there were no standards at all for console localization of Japanese games, but today it is just embarrassing. It isn't even really the fault of the translators because this doesn't seem to be a poorly translated game on the base level. The problem lies entirely in the overall management of the localization and how poorly edited it is. Lines often don't flow well, there are programming bugs, there are logic problems where sometimes what characters say or refer to after a certain line doesn't make much sense based on what they just said. All these issues add up and make for a less enjoyable experience and takes you out of the game when you run into such issues. Really disappointing that Bandai Namco is interested in bringing games to a larger audience but not interested enough to actually invest more money and effort into the professional process. I think people should bring this up more and be more vocal about it. Simply being able to -understand- a game should not be the standard for localization.

I still need to crack open my copy, but this is disappointing to hear. I know Bandai Namco's localization of the SAO game was subpar, but I had hoped they would do a better job here. I appreciate that they're bringing these games out here, but I wish they would take the time to polish them to at least an acceptable level. A good localization matters a great deal in the reception of a game after all - Nier would not have become such a cult hit if its localization was like this.

Stuart444

I don't know, I think the problems it has are enough to call it "shoddy":

- "Bakemon" instead of "monster"
- LordKnightmon or Crusadermon?

On these 2:

1. Bakemon was literally in the JP text and pictures were posted before showing that. I think it was a joke/word play that got lost in translation (this could be again, due to contextless translation/editing where they are only seeing the text so probably just assuming it means the Digimon) since Bakemon is monster without the o at the end. But that is just me assuming that is what the JP version was going for.

2. I don't remember seeing LordKnightmon (though I always call him that personally) in the text. It must have only been a few times because I only remember seeing Crusadermon mostly.

Stuart444

so how do you access the extra mission packs?

do they just automatically become available on the whiteboard?

1 and 2 does I think (at least 1 does). 3 requires talking to Digimon in Kowloon level 1 near the end of the game, 4 requires talking to Kyoko, the rest are related to Mirei and again are all end-game ones.

This is happening based on personality I'm guessing. There's no reason for HP/SP getting an increase otherwise.

80/19 is pretty doable for a Lucemon with a Fighter personality

Wouldn't it just end up increasing my attack to +81? Its personality is builder which I assumed is neutral.

duckroll

I still need to crack open my copy, but this is disappointing to hear. I know Bandai Namco's localization of the SAO game was subpar, but I had hoped they would do a better job here. I appreciate that they're bringing these games out here, but I wish they would take the time to polish them to at least an acceptable level. A good localization matters a great deal in the reception of a game after all - Nier would not have become such a cult hit if its localization was like this.

Yeah, it's a bummer when a fun accessible game is plagued with subpar localization. Still, the game's really pretty fun, and I'm a big fan of how they designed a lot of the side cases in the game. They're interesting and fun. Reminds me of how sometimes "filler episodes" of a show can be just as interesting or more interesting than the "main plot" at a given time.

I did not realize my hacking abilities were dependent on my digimon party levels so I was wondering why I couldn't do Level 2 and 3 wall hacks and missed out on early treasures T_T

Sandfox

Exactly.

'Bakemono' was translated to 'Bakemon' instead of 'monster', so Arata is calling the Eater's 'Bakemon'. It's a mistranslation repeated over and over.

Someone posted a screencap earlier in the thread and It's Bakemon in the Japanese version as well.

Weird. Wonder why it's giving extra HP/SP.

But yeah, 80/19 is rather doable... it was what I was forced to do after messing it up by training Atk first.

I'm sure if I try enough times the speed stat will get raised, it's just time consuming waiting 30 min, reducing the wrong stat that got increased and redoing the process all over again that gets annoying after a while lol.

Thanks though!

Ultimadrago

Finished off all the Digimon DLC. It was a fun way to send off the game and the ending was serviceable in its own way.I was surprised I didn't have to go make a new Digimon or something to complete it.

While I don't necessarily have a reason to turn on the game again (as I don't care about trophies), I did find that my Lilithmon was severely lacking in moveset versatility. I'm thinking of fixing her before turning off the game for good. She was too helpful throughout to be neglected like that.

I'm sure if I try enough times the speed stat will get raised, it's just time consuming waiting 30 min, reducing the wrong stat that got increased and redoing the process all over again that gets annoying after a while lol.

Thanks though!

NP

If you keep getting that split, just keep leveling it. it'll probably be like... level 97 before it can evolve.

Finished off all the Digimon DLC. It was a fun way to send off the game and the ending was serviceable in its own way.I was surprised I didn't have to go make a new Digimon or something to complete it.

While I don't necessarily have a reason to turn on the game again (as I don't care about trophies), I did find that my Lilithmon was severely lacking in moveset versatility. I'm thinking of fixing her before turning off the game for good. She was too helpful throughout to be neglected like that.

Fixing her might take a bit of time. I mean she only needs to get Status based moves since Phantom Pain is enough, but that's a whole lot of crossing the lines, which is why I opted for that before getting Lilithmon.

RexNovis

Banned
Wouldn't it just end up increasing my attack to +81? Its personality is builder which I assumed is neutral.

Thanks though!

You need to put a Nimble character as lead and put only treadmills in the farm good section. That will ensure you get a speed upgrade.

For ATK set a Fighter as lead and place only the ATK training items (I forget which ones they are)

On these 2:

1. Bakemon was literally in the JP text and pictures were posted before showing that. I think it was a joke/word play that got lost in translation (this could be again, due to contextless translation/editing where they are only seeing the text so probably just assuming it means the Digimon) since Bakemon is monster without the o at the end. But that is just me assuming that is what the JP version was going for.

2. I don't remember seeing LordKnightmon (though I always call him that personally) in the text. It must have only been a few times because I only remember seeing Crusadermon mostly.

1. Yeah, see my previous post.

2. I haven't seen LordKnightmon yet (not far enough), but a poster in here said it was used.

This translation is so bad. It can't even keep the names of digimon straight. I was wondering who Lord Knightmon was that Kyoko was talking about, and of course that's Crusadermon's alternate name that up to this point had never been used.

Stuart444

So DLC related:

In the Demon Lords DLC, we meet Sayo, the tamer from Digimon World: Dusk (which I've got but not got far in it :/ for some reason, I couldn't get into it even though I liked DWDS).

In Additional Mission 12 (the final DLC mission),
she fights with us. My SO noticed this and mentioned just after the fight but I never noticed it and just looked it up. Her Digivice is the Digivice Burst which anyone who has watched Digimon Savers will recognize. Nothing too interesting I guess but I just didn't realize that XD.

I do wonder why they chose the girl from dusk to make a cameo though but hey, I liked seeing her anyway.

2. I haven't seen LordKnightmon yet (not far enough), but a poster in here said it was used.

Ah, I saw that post but dismissed it since like I said, I mostly saw Crusadermon in text XD. Like I said, maybe it's not used much so I just didn't remember the instances of LordKnightmon in text, idk. (though I still hate the name Crusadermon. Nothing against it and it sounds fine for another Digimon I guess but I just prefer LordKnightmon, especially since they seem to command Knightmons and stuff iirc. Just makes more sense. Same with how I prefer Omega over Omni, especially because of two RKs being Alpha and Omega lol.)

cheesekao

Unless I'm not mistaken, there is only one instance of someone using Lordknightmon and it was an optional dialogue from Kyoko in the office. If you didn't speak to her at that one point then you wouldn't have known.

So DLC related:

In the Demon Lords DLC, we meet Sayo, the tamer from Digimon World: Dusk (which I've got but not got far in it :/ for some reason, I couldn't get into it even though I liked DWDS).

In Additional Mission 12 (the final DLC mission),
she fights with us. My SO noticed this and mentioned just after the fight but I never noticed it and just looked it up. Her Digivice is the Digivice Burst which anyone who has watched Digimon Savers will recognize. Nothing too interesting I guess but I just didn't realize that XD.

I do wonder why they chose the girl from dusk to make a cameo though but hey, I liked seeing her anyway.

They like their crossover girls man.

I'm on the tail end of chapter 19 and I've never seen it either.

I'll keep an eye out for it. Maybe it's only used in one blink and you'll miss it conversation or a DigiLine text? If johnsmith is here maybe they can tell us.

Edit:
Unless I'm not mistaken, there is only one instance of someone using Lordknightmon and it was an optional dialogue from Kyoko in the office. If you didn't speak to her at that point then you wouldn't have known.

Ah, I see. It still would be jarring for one unfamiliar with the name.

Ultimadrago

Fixing her might take a bit of time. I mean she only needs to get Status based moves since Phantom Pain is enough, but that's a whole lot of crossing the lines, which is why I opted for that before getting Lilithmon.

Yeah, I guessed as much. She was my first "Super" Digimon so to speak, so I was less experienced in working the system and too impatient to get her INT-breaking powers.

With the knowledge I have now, I would have built her correctly from the start. I'd be willing to spend the time to get the status moves I need, so that plus the leveling tools shouldn't make it too hard.

Lordknightmon sounds like the dumbest thing ever. Lol. I sure hope I never see it or I'll die laughing.

LordKnightmon is sort of a higher ranking Knightmon and is a play on the word "Rhodonite", which is a rose colored mineral.

Mind you, it doesn't make it sound any better, but it's a little creative at least, and I like it more than Crusadermon.

Bishop89

I missed chapter 8 Victory Uchida..

FUCK

a guide is sayinig that the medals V.Uchida give can be obtained by the new dlc missions.
Is that true?

Can I get Barbamon Medal from one of those missions?

Dawg

I know it's RNG but my development farms seem to be making me anything BUT tactician USBs.

Oh well. At least I defeated the ch 10 boss yesterday. Just leveled my Ultimates a bit. I'm at chapter 13 now. Still don't have a mega digimon but that actually goes in line with the story. Feels like I'm not meant to have one yet.

And, well, leveling doesn't go that fast with only one Platinumsukemon and no tactician USBs :>

iFirez

Okay, holy shit this game. It's like a fucking drug or something, I don't want to stop.

One quick question, is the memory/size of your team ever increased or is 20 always the max? If so how/when do you increase it? Figured it out, use the memory up and memory up dx items.

Right now most of my Digimon have digi-volved to champions and I keep having to put them in storage to train more lil' ones up.

Also, any downsides to SkullGreymon? I totally want to go the evil hacker route... even though you can't really RP as that.

Chapter 15:
Kyoko tells me to visit Mirei, Mirei tells me she'll take some time and to do some cases, there are no cases on the board, Ryota is outside the agency but talking to him didn't activate a case or anything. What do I do?

Chapter 15:
Kyoko tells me to visit Mirei, Mirei tells me she'll take some time and to do some cases, there are no cases on the board, Ryota is outside the agency but talking to him didn't activate a case or anything. What do I do?

There's a quest trigger at the regular meeting spot in Kowloon 1.

Drop

I missed chapter 8 Victory Uchida..

FUCK

a guide is sayinig that the medals V.Uchida give can be obtained by the new dlc missions.
Is that true?

Can I get Barbamon Medal from one of those missions?

It's true, the medals Victory Uchida gives are the demon lords medals that you can also get by fighting them in the dlc missions.

Thanks though!

About training, the digimon in the farm gain points in both the stat related on their nature, and the stat related to the farm leader's nature, so the reason you're getting hp might be having a leader with the hp related nature(I think it's durable?).

Also, you don't have to wait 30 minutes, the points are gained gradually in time, I think that without enhancing farm goods it's something like 6 points every 5 minutes for a total of 36, which are split as 3/3 if the digimon and leader's nature are different for a total of 18/18.

So, if you need speed just set a nimble leader and wait 5 minutes, if you have 89/10 on a fighter nature digimon and you're worried the single point you can gain will go in strength just using a strength restraining chips C should guarantee that you get the speed you need while also getting the strength point back.

Edit: now I want to fully understand how the training works so I'll do some testing later.

Mondrian

I don't really know anything about digimon at all and I absolutely love this game. My only nitpick would be with the series' use of the -mon suffix, so glad I followed gaf on this one.

Mendax

I want an english physical version of this in continental europe. Local shops don't have it and Amazon UK refuses to ship it to me; what do i do now?

Also, is it a limited run? do we know?

Stuart444

I want an english physical version of this in continental europe. Local shops don't have it and Amazon UK refuses to ship it to me; what do i do now?

Also, is it a limited run? do we know?

what about Shop to? They ship internationally.

Not sure what other UK shops do... maybe GAME?

Could be worse, the season 5 dub went with "Loadknightmon"...

Hahahaha. I thought it couldn't get much more stupid in season 5s dub after some of the other name changes (Chika to Kristy, Yggdrasil to King Drasil, Tohma to Thomas) but seems I was wrong.

Bishop89

It's true, the medals Victory Uchida gives are the demon lords medals that you can also get by fighting them in the dlc missions.

About training, the digimon in the farm gain points in both the stat related on their nature, and the stat related to the farm leader's nature, so the reason you're getting hp might be having a leader with the hp related nature(I think it's durable?).

Also, you don't have to wait 30 minutes, the points are gained gradually in time, I think that without enhancing farm goods it's something like 6 points every 5 minutes for a total of 36, which are split as 3/3 if the digimon and leader's nature are different for a total of 18/18.

So, if you need speed just set a nimble leader and wait 5 minutes, if you have 89/10 on a fighter nature digimon and you're worried the single point you can gain will go in strength just using a strength restraining chips C should guarantee that you get the speed you need while also getting the strength point back.

Edit: now I want to fully understand how the training works so I'll do some testing later.
Awesome. Thanks so much.

Didnt really want to ng+ this.

Mendax

what about Shop to? They ship internationally.

Not sure what other UK shops do... maybe GAME?

normally amazon uk also ships everything internationally but this for some reason has restrictions :/ and thanks i will have a look at those other two stores!

Skulldead

Got DLC mission pack, the first one is * difficulty, I'm suppose to finish them in endgame ? or pretty easy to do in middle of the game ?

Stuart444

Got DLC mission pack, the first one is * difficulty, I'm suppose to finish them in endgame ? or pretty easy to do in middle of the game ?

You can do them as soon as they show up. The ones near end-game are not available til then, the first two are available as you play the game and can be done as soon as they appear.

You need to put a Nimble character as lead and put only treadmills in the farm good section. That will ensure you get a speed upgrade.

For ATK set a Fighter as lead and place only the ATK training items (I forget which ones they are)

Yeah that's what I've been doing but still no luck, it's all good though just going to continue through the story anyways.

You are probably right that it updates points every certain minutes but since I have 100 abi and 99 have already been used up I rarely ever see that 1 stat update until the very end. I'll try paying more attention if it'll help speed up the process. Thanks!

+80 Atk
+19 Spd

Only on chapter 9 so I have no alternatives that I know of that will raise speed (no nimble patches yet or whatever digifood is needed). Got 2 treadmills running and a nimble leader as well.

Edit: Also my attack is fine since +80 is all I needed.

Yeah I absolutely love this game but I have to say this is genuinely the worst localization I have ever seen. Some of the things people say in this game are downright bizarre, and I have had multiple text choices in a conversation where each choice is a fractured segment of an entire sentence (if that makes sense). Really weird stuff. Game is good enough to overlook it though.

Top Bottom