• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth |OT| The Prodigious Mon Returns (Courtesy of a Petition)

Croc

Banned
For the medal machines I made up a word doc with all the machines and their medals from the FAQ and compared to the lists in my game and made a comprehensive list of which ones I needed and where they were lol.

Probably spent a lot of extra time doing that but it was incredibly easy to keep track of everything that way after making it.

Wazzy

Banned
btw while looking up the guide confused me, Stuart's video confirms that every single medal Victory Uchida gives is obtainable with the demon lords dlcs.

That is awesome to hear so thank you! I guess I'm going for that Platinum. It's now a good thing my copy of FE Fates was delayed. :p

Stuart444

btw while looking up the guide confused me, Stuart's video confirms that every single medal Victory Uchida gives is obtainable with the demon lords dlcs.

oh, it helped? yay ^_^. Glad to hear it.

I think tomorrow, I'll try and do the last two cups and then maybe do the medals. Saving the online trophy for last.

Stage On

How good are the preorder exlusive digimon?

I'm Currently trying to decide if I should get the game now on Vita at full price or wait until it's on sale.

How good are the preorder exlusive digimon?

I'm Currently trying to decide if I should get the game now on Vita at full price or wait until it's on sale.

Except for Beelzemon BM who is easily better than standard Beelzemon, they're mostly just "variations on a theme."
Cherubimon Evil and Omnimon Zwart are about the same as their standard versions just with different skills whose use is determined on your own preferences. Some people prefer using BlackWargreymon?
That's about all I've got. :p

Ultimadrago

Except for Beelzemon BM who is easily better than standard Beelzemon, they're mostly just "variations on a theme."
Cherubimon Evil and Omnimon Zwart are about the same as their standard versions just with different skills whose use is determined on your own preferences. Some people prefer using BlackWargreymon?
That's about all I've got. :p

Well, Black War Greymon is offensively superior because his inherent trait raises his general ATK by 15%, while standard War Greymon only raises Fire Attacks by 15%. While they both have DEF penetrating moves that benefit from their respective traits, having 15%+ to all ATK-based moves allows for an edge regarding other varied physical moves.

That said, Wargreymon standard has 10 more base points to ATK, but that doesn't beat out 15% between the two maxed the same way.

duckroll

I'm in Chapter 7 now, over 12 hours into the game. The localization is really, really unpolished. This is the substandard level of editing which might have been acceptable in the PS1 era when there were no standards at all for console localization of Japanese games, but today it is just embarrassing. It isn't even really the fault of the translators because this doesn't seem to be a poorly translated game on the base level. The problem lies entirely in the overall management of the localization and how poorly edited it is. Lines often don't flow well, there are programming bugs, there are logic problems where sometimes what characters say or refer to after a certain line doesn't make much sense based on what they just said. All these issues add up and make for a less enjoyable experience and takes you out of the game when you run into such issues. Really disappointing that Bandai Namco is interested in bringing games to a larger audience but not interested enough to actually invest more money and effort into the professional process. I think people should bring this up more and be more vocal about it. Simply being able to -understand- a game should not be the standard for localization.

I rate the game a solid 9. I play on hard.

It turns out all I need to do is play the trailer (same as the PSN page) on my phone at work and lapsed Pokémon fans eat it up. I've sold three copies this way. Two more say they will buy it when they get paid. Try this, guys.

I'm in Chapter 7 now, over 12 hours into the game. The localization is really, really unpolished. This is the substandard level of editing which might have been acceptable in the PS1 era when there were no standards at all for console localization of Japanese games, but today it is just embarrassing. It isn't even really the fault of the translators because this doesn't seem to be a poorly translated game on the base level. The problem lies entirely in the overall management of the localization and how poorly edited it is. Lines often don't flow well, there are programming bugs, there are logic problems where sometimes what characters say or refer to after a certain line doesn't make much sense based on what they just said. All these issues add up and make for a less enjoyable experience and takes you out of the game when you run into such issues. Really disappointing that Bandai Namco is interested in bringing games to a larger audience but not interested enough to actually invest more money and effort into the professional process. I think people should bring this up more and be more vocal about it. Simply being able to -understand- a game should not be the standard for localization.

It's really disappointing and obvious that they didn't care about putting out a polished product. Just do it quick and cheap to get it to those almost non-existent Digimon fans in the West (let's not imagine that others might take a look at this very good game). The DigiLine messages are pretty much broken and sometimes unintelligible, choices don't account for the less compact English language, some lines needed to be looked over again, etc.

(The translators themselves did a good job with what they were given though, as the coherent lines are faithful to the original from what I can tell.)

They should be embarrassed by it. How cheap do you have to be that other, smaller companies put out way more polished localizations?

duckroll

So I downloaed and installed the DLC mission packs 2 to 4.

Do they become available only late game?

I installed DLC Mission Pack 1 and I've only gotten one of the three cases it provides so far, so yeah I assume they just unlock with story progression. I'm only in chapter 7 now.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I installed DLC Mission Pack 1 and I've only gotten one of the three cases it provides so far, so yeah I assume they just unlock with story progression. I'm only in chapter 7 now.

I'm at Chapter 16 and I only got 2 out of the 3 cases from the fist pack and none from the others.

I'm at Chapter 16 and I only got 2 out of the 3 cases from the fist pack and none from the others.

Can't remember when the Terriermon case shows up, but I know the Demon Lords don't show up until almost the end of the game and they comprise of most of the additional missions.

Stuart444

So I downloaed and installed the DLC mission packs 2 to 4.

Do they become available only late game?

Yes, Chapter 19. (at least it's the earliest I tried in the JP ver)

Also Additional Mission 3 is available in Ch19 or 20. Talk to some Digimon in Kowloon 1 to unlock it.

(let's not imagine that others might take a look at this very good game).

To be fair, just looking at threads on here, most threads just didn't have much activity apart from the last one before the game came out. I was pretty sure the game was going to bomb and I don't think I'm alone in thinking that.

There was no real sustained hype with any of the footage, streams or trailers that we got.

The fact that we not only got it but that it did better than expected is really surprising and I doubt the next loc will be as cheap. (if they decide it's worth it to do the next game, they better spend more on it like with SAOLS after the HF debacle)

(I'm not trying to excuse the shoddy work btw - it is very sub par and the fact that it looks like the translator/editors didn't even get shown context for many scenes in the game is just inexcusable. I've done my fair share of complaining but I'm just glad we got it and the franchise might actually get a revival in the west thanks to this game)

To be fair, just looking at threads on here, most threads just didn't have much activity apart from the last one before the game came out. I was pretty sure the game was going to bomb and I don't think I'm alone in thinking that.

There was no real sustained hype with any of the footage, streams or trailers that we got.

The fact that we not only got it but that it did better than expected is really surprising and I doubt the next loc will be as cheap. (if they decide it's worth it to do the next game, they better spend more on it like with SAOLS after the HF debacle)

(I'm not trying to excuse the shoddy work btw - it is very sub par and the fact that it looks like the translator/editors didn't even get shown context for many scenes in the game is just inexcusable. I've done my fair share of complaining but I'm just glad we got it and the franchise might actually get a revival in the west thanks to this game)

I didn't mean that there was potential it would do better than expected, I meant they appeared to bring this game over under the assumption that no one other than desperate Digimon fans would buy (or review) it and not care about the shoddiness. Why actively turn off new potential buyers, not just to Cyber Sleuth, but to Bandai Namco titles in general?

It just reflects so badly on them.

Stuart444

I didn't mean that there was potential it would do better than expected, I meant they appeared to bring this game over under the assumption that no one other than desperate Digimon fans would buy (or review) it and not care about the shoddiness. Why actively turn off new potential buyers

My guess is, they wrote this off as a loss already and wanted to keep it as cheap as possible to minimize the loss. (best case scenario was probably break even to them I'm guessing)

Again, it's just a guess.

duckroll

My guess is, they wrote this off as a loss already and wanted to keep it as cheap as possible to minimize the loss. (best case scenario was probably break even to them I'm guessing)

Again, it's just a guess.

If at the point of deciding to localize a game they thought it would be a loss, why would they even go through with it? Obviously when you release a product, you think it is worth your time, or you don't release it. If you do think it is worth your time, you should do it right.

Stuart444

If at the point of deciding to localize a game they thought it would be a loss, why would they even go through with it? Obviously when you release a product, you think it is worth your time, or you don't release it. If you do think it is worth your time, you should do it right.

Maybe someone pushed for it internally? Some things can be green lit if the right people are pushing for it with some colourful words ("We'll at least break even and maybe make a little bit of profit while scoring some good will with the Digimon fans" or some shit like that).

Companies do plenty of things that don't make sense and we're left wondering what was going through their heads. This is one of them.

Just like another one would be, "Who thought releasing ToS on steam in that state was a good idea?" - We'll never know.

I do agree with the bold though.

duckroll

If someone is pushing for it internally it means they have a business strategy for it. Again, it's not senseless. If the intent is to release something they feel they can break even on and score good will with fans for later releases, that's all the more reason to do it well.

Stuart444

If someone is pushing for it internally it means they have a business strategy for it. Again, it's not senseless. If the intent is to release something they feel they can break even on and score good will with fans for later releases, that's all the more reason to do it well.

When I said companies do things that may seem senseless I meant the game being released with a shoddy loc like this.

Sorry if I'm not explaining myself well :/ meh.

How do I get Digi-Eggs?

I'm at chapter 4, so maybe it's a bit early for that, but I really want a Flamedramon

Chapter 7 I think. It's just after a boss fight where you can have an optional fight against someone who uses Flamedramon.

duckroll

When I said companies do things that may seem senseless I meant the game being released with a shoddy loc like this.

Well, I don't think it's senseless. I try not to mistake incompetence for maliciousness. There is no reason to believe that Bandai Namco deliberately releases games with poor localization or terrible ports. The fact that these things end up being the final product is probably a result of careless outsourcing of workload, without proper oversight. Which is why we have to take them to task for it to let them know this isn't okay, so they can improve the process if they're interested in retaining fans long term.

cheesekao

Opinions and all but calling the translation shoddy is an overstatement. It may not be super high quality but as someone who has a pretty good grasp of the English language, it's decent or maybe I just didn't notice it because my brain autocorrects simple mistakes to the point wehere I simply don't notice them.

duckroll

Opinions and all but calling the translation shoddy is an overstatement. It may not be super high quality but as someone who has quite some experience with the English language, it's pretty decent or maybe I didn't notice it because my brain autocorrects simple mistakes that I don't notice them.

The translation is not shoddy, the localization is. The basic translation from Japanese to English is actually pretty competent because it takes into account tone and intent, and many of the characters feel like they have their own style of voice in the writing. The overall localization process though, is definitely shoddy. Editing mistakes, sentences which don't fit naturally together (probably translated as parts of different sets text form rather than the way they were presented in the game), and the worst offender are the programming issues like the multipart replies. That's very obvious and super unprofessional.

cheesekao

The translation is not shoddy, the localization is. The basic translation from Japanese to English is actually pretty competent because it takes into account tone and intent, and many of the characters feel like they have their own style of voice in the writing. The overall localization process though, is definitely shoddy. Editing mistakes, sentences which don't fit naturally together (probably translated as parts of different sets text form rather than the way they were presented in the game), and the worst offender are the programming issues like the multipart replies. That's very obvious and super unprofessional.
I don't know how it is in the Japanese version and this is pure conjecture but my reasoning for those awkwards multi-part replies is that each line has a set amount of space and the space was enough to fit a single line of Japanese characters but was not enough for the full English sentence and the Japanese team did not code a multi-line highlight and that's why it ended up like that. If the localization team was able to do that themselves then yes, they are lazy but no-one but the staff knows.

Stuart444

Well, I don't think it's senseless. I try not to mistake incompetence for maliciousness. There is no reason to believe that Bandai Namco deliberately releases games with poor localization or terrible ports. The fact that these things end up being the final product is probably a result of careless outsourcing of workload, without proper oversight. Which is why we have to take them to task for it to let them know this isn't okay, so they can improve the process if they're interested in retaining fans long term.

Aye, I can understand that and I hope they improve. I really do.

Though I still question why they didn't make sure there was context for editors/translators (the instances of female = male, with the MC and once with an NPC...). Just baffles me...

Opinions and all but calling the translation shoddy is an overstatement. It may not be super high quality but as someone who has a pretty good grasp of the English language, it's decent or maybe I just didn't notice it because my brain autocorrects simple mistakes to the point wehere I simply don't notice them.

My brain corrected a lot of mistakes automatically but I did notice a good amount of them. (the DigiLine ones are the worse easily. Small part of the game maybe but seriously. Felt very literal and nonsensical at times)

If you played a male main, you at least avoid a lot of the wrong gender being used on the MC lol.

I wouldn't say shoddy is an overstatement. Now if someone said it's complete garbage then THAT would be an overstatement but shoddy imo describes it well enough. It's not the best, it's not the worse but it is a bit shoddy and needed quite a bit more polishing before being released.

I don't know how it is in the Japanese version and this is pure conjecture but my reasoning for those awkwards multi-part replies is that each line has a set amount of space and the space was enough to fit a single line of Japanese characters but was not enough for the full English sentence and the Japanese team did not code a multi-line highlight and that's why it ended up like that. If the localization team was able to do that themselves then yes, they are lazy but no-one but the staff knows.

Maybe but then it'd be their job to make it fit. Condense/reword as needed to make it fit while keeping the meaning of whatever was originally there.

duckroll

You don't need a multi-line highlight. You need to either use less words, or code a scrolling line on highlight. If you can't do either and the only solution you think of results in what we have, then I would consider that incompetence. It's generally never laziness, either people were not given enough time to do the work they needed to do, or they were incapable of doing a good enough job. Neither of which should really matter to the consumer though, we should only care that the company who wants us to pay for a product was not able to make a product of professional standard.

cheesekao

My brain corrected a lot of mistakes automatically but I did notice a good amount of them. (the DigiLine ones are the worse easily. Small part of the game maybe but seriously. Felt very literal and nonsensical at times)

If you played a male main, you at least avoid a lot of the wrong gender being used on the MC lol.

I wouldn't say shoddy is an overstatement. Now if someone said it's complete garbage then THAT would be an overstatement but shoddy imo describes it well enough. It's not the best, it's not the worse but it is a bit shoddy and needed quite a bit more polishing before being released.
I'm not gonna change your mind but imo, 'shoddy' is in the negative end of the spectrum while I think this game is somewhere in the middle.

Maybe but then it'd be their job to make it fit. Condense/reword as needed to make it fit while keeping the meaning of whatever was originally there.
If it were possibly to do so then they definitely should've done it but you can only condense so much until you lose the original sentence's meaning.

You don't need a multi-line highlight. You need to either use less words, or code a scrolling line on highlight. If you can't do either and the only solution you think of results in what we have, then I would consider that incompetence. It's generally never laziness, either people were not given enough time to do the work they needed to do, or they were incapable of doing a good enough job. Neither of which should really matter to the consumer though, we should only care that the company who wants us to pay for a product was not able to make a product of professional standard.
I'm really tired of people trying to defend bad shit. This is literally the same as voting against your own interests. Everyone benefits from a game localized to a professional standard. Defending it and trying to make excuses for it everything people bring up the flaws feels like a desperate attempt to convince yourself that this is the best they could have done. It is not. They can do better, they are paid to do better, that's why they're the ones publishing the game in the first place. Say no to inferior quality, give feedback when something is less than acceptable.
What are you getting at here? Consumers should always strive for high quality products that match their price points but sometimes things that are out of your control happens when you're a provider of a service/product. Like you said, it could be the faults of the higher ups or the incompetence of the devs. Should sub-par work be forgiven? No. Perhaps this is just because of my upbringing but I've always been a rather 'eh...whatever' kind of guy when it comes to things like this so I apologize if I sound like a coorporate sympathizer or whatnot. A lot of the problems I've seen people complain about in this forum isn't really that big of a problem to me because I'm used to worse stuff happening so I'm sorry if I come off as ignorant.

duckroll

I'm really tired of people trying to defend bad shit. This is literally the same as voting against your own interests. Everyone benefits from a game localized to a professional standard. Defending it and trying to make excuses for it everything people bring up the flaws feels like a desperate attempt to convince yourself that this is the best they could have done. It is not. They can do better, they are paid to do better, that's why they're the ones publishing the game in the first place. Say no to inferior quality, give feedback when something is less than acceptable.

Stuart444

BTW duckroll, since you just commented on the localization earlier.

Ignoring the loc, are you enjoying the game 7 chapters in? Just curious.

Voror

Leveled my DeviAngewoman into Lillithmon and am starting work on getting Beelzemon ready to digivolve into Blast Mode. The biggest hurdle will be that CAM rating since that's a lot of battles to grind with him, but perhaps it will go by fast.

Also got my Antylamon to a point where it can go into either Cherubimon forms but not sure which to take.

The small part of the game I played today used "your" when it should have been "you're" and "know" when it should have been "now".
Not to mention the numerous lines that don't flow at all with what comes before and after them, the female MC being referred to as stuff like 'guy' every now and then, Eaters being hilariously referred to as Bakemon, the DigiLine in general, etc etc....

Feels like the game was just translated and then immediately released, no testing, proof reading etc.

Shoddy is the perfect word for it.

Redhood

How important are the dlc missions? are they fun or substantial content or just retread of the missions already in the game? I am thinking of importing the asian english release and doing that I will be unable to play these dlc missions.

duckroll

BTW duckroll, since you just commented on the localization earlier.

Ignoring the loc, are you enjoying the game 7 chapters in? Just curious.

I like it a lot. If I didn't enjoy the game at all and just stopped playing it, a bad localization wouldn't even bother me because that would be the least of the problems. It is more frustrating playing a game I enjoy because all I can see is how much better it could be with more polish on the text. A good dub would do wonders too.

I think the game is pretty easy as far as JRPGs go, but I don't mind it so much because it actually encourages me to be more experimental with evolutions and what not without worrying that I can get myself stuck in a position where my party can't progress in the game. The Digimon designs are really, really weird, but varied enough that every evolution makes the visuals in battle feel fresh.

I like the story a lot too. It tackles the Digimons-cause-problems-in-the-real-world stuff pretty well by mixing it with a full blown SAO style VR-coma conspiracy angle. The characters are fun and have a lot of personality too. The music is super awesome. Overall Media Vision has created a very compelling semi-casual JRPG for fans of monster collecting and anime which scratches an itch just between Pokemon and SMT, which is a nice sweet spot for relaxed portable gaming imo.

Stuart444

How important are the dlc missions? are they fun or substantial content or just retread of the missions already in the game? I am thinking of importing the asian english release and doing that I will be unable to play these dlc missions.

4 standard side quests (not retreads, just more unique side quests) and the other 8 are some of the toughest fights in the game.

I like it a lot. If I didn't enjoy the game at all and just stopped playing it, a bad localization wouldn't even bother me because that would be the least of the problems. It is more frustrating playing a game I enjoy because all I can see is how much better it could be with more polish on the text. A good dub would do wonders too.

I think the game is pretty easy as far as JRPGs go, but I don't mind it so much because it actually encourages me to be more experimental with evolutions and what not without worrying that I can get myself stuck in a position where my party can't progress in the game. The Digimon designs are really, really weird, but varied enough that every evolution makes the visuals in battle feel fresh.

I like the story a lot too. It tackles the Digimons-cause-problems-in-the-real-world stuff pretty well by mixing it with a full blown SAO style VR-coma conspiracy angle. The characters are fun and have a lot of personality too. The music is super awesome. Overall Media Vision has created a very compelling semi-casual JRPG for fans of monster collecting and anime which scratches an itch just between Pokemon and SMT, which is a nice sweet spot for relaxed portable gaming imo.

Awesome! Was just curious since you didn't mention anything gameplay related. Glad to see you're enjoying it.

If the loc was better and we had dual audio dub, it'd probably be one of the best Digimon games around (and imo it is one of the best Digimon games but it could be a lot better I agree)

You said in your previous post that you were on Chapter 7 so it will be interesting to see what you think when the story really gets going.

I'm not gonna change your mind but imo, 'shoddy' is in the negative end of the spectrum while I think this game is somewhere in the middle.

If it were possibly to do so then they definitely should've done it but you can only condense so much until you lose the original sentence's meaning.

I don't know, I think the problems it has are enough to call it "shoddy":

- DigiLine is broken for some people (not to mention nonsensical replies)
- "Bakemon" instead of "monster"
- Kyo-Kyo or Kyo-chan?
- LordKnightmon or Crusadermon?
- Broken multiple choice lines
- Sound clips not playing
- Weird lines that needed to have another pass
- Digimon Medals are under their Japanese names sometimes (ie Vitramon)

From what I've seen, English not fitting multiple choices (or text boxes) is a common problem in localization. It's usually fixed as duckroll says above, by condensing or scrolling lines.

I really like the translation itself and will still recommend this game to people, but it needed more time in the oven.

cheesekao

I don't know, I think the problems it has are enough to call it "shoddy":

- DigiLine is broken for some people (not to mention nonsensical replies)
- "Bakemon" instead of "monster"
- Kyo-Kyo or Kyo-chan?
- LordKnightmon or Crusadermon?
- Broken multiple choice lines
- Sound clips not playing
- Weird lines that needed to have another pass
- Digimon Medals are under their Japanese names sometimes (ie Vitramon)

From what I've seen, English not fitting multiple choices (or text boxes) is a common problem in localization. It's usually fixed as duckroll says above, by condensing or scrolling lines.

I really like the translation itself and will still recommend this game to people, but it needed more time in the oven.
Wait, I thought this was an isolated issue. The voices played properly on my Vita.

As for the Bakemon thing, I thought monster was bakemono. I clearly heard Arata saying Bakemon.

Damn you Lucemon. I'm one speed stat away from getting it to digivolve and each time I leave it in the farm for 30 min either it's hp or sp gets raised instead.

+80 Atk
+19 Spd

Only on chapter 9 so I have no alternatives that I know of that will raise speed (no nimble patches yet or whatever digifood is needed). Got 2 treadmills running and a nimble leader as well. Now I'm brute forcing my way through the game's story until nimble patches are available. I think I'm playing this game wrong.

4/7 demon lords so far, the other 3 are just a digivolution away.

Wait, I thought this was an isolated issue. The voices played properly on my Vita.

As for the Bakemon thing, I thought monster was bakemono. I clearly heard Arata saying Bakemon.

It seems to be random for whatever reason. I heard some Europeans say they got the missing clips? Personally, I've had several scenes I know had voice clips that didn't play (one being a cut scene) on the PS4.

I don't know how others have been doing with that. It might be hard to pin point if you don't know what's supposed to be there.

Edit: "Bakemon" is some sort of lingo for the Eaters, not referring to the Digimon "Bakemon". Hard to catch as a translator with no context, but it should have been caught somewhere along the line.

Top Bottom