• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth |OT| The Prodigious Mon Returns (Courtesy of a Petition)

MongKey

God damn I havent played the same game for so much timw with minimal stops since 999 or something ahah. I'm loving it!.. why the hell doesn't Renamon have Kyuubimon has an evolution? I was like, what.
She does have Kyuubimon as an evolution though. It's the third evolution choice from top for Renamon.

aravuus

Using skills doesn't really feel like you are wasting sp, because your whole crew levels up every few battles anyway (on normal at least)

Yeh, just noticed SP replenishes on level up. Think I'll do auto-battle whenever I'm grinding and/or raising the wild Digimon's scan rate thingie percentage to 200%. Speaking of, I don't suppose you can check your scan percentages anywhere out of battle? The digimon entries in the field guide are greyed out, gonna be annoying if I gotta do a couple of extra battles everywhere just to make sure they're all maxed out.

MongKey

Yeh, just noticed SP replenishes on level up. Think I'll do auto-battle whenever I'm grinding and/or raising the wild Digimon's scan rate thingie percentage to 200%. Speaking of, I don't suppose you can check your scan percentages anywhere out of battle? The digimon entries in the field guide are greyed out, gonna be annoying if I gotta do a couple of extra battles everywhere just to make sure they're all maxed out.
Nope, you can't check unfortunately.

grimmiq

Damn, I found a really nice side quest for grinding (the one where you find the gear), but thought I'd be able to come back to it later but the portal thing is gone now..Is there any way to get back into zones you've cleared? The dungeon thing in the lab doesn't have it.

Is there a way to check the scan percentage in a dungeon? away from the Digilab?
Or can you only view it at the digilab along with evolution trees? (i'm just at chapter 1)

So the protagonist enjoys Mapo Doufu (Tofu?)...

... Are they related to Kirei Kotomine in some way?

On more serious note, it's weird that the female protagonist is treated as a guy whenever their gender comes up. Though that one part with the doll case in Chapter 8 is also hilarious since the shady salesman seems to immediately assume that the female protagonist is a lesbian. Though it's undercut by the extremely disturbing implications of the villain's plot revealed later on in the case...

Also, while I generally dislike cutscenes on principle, I think Cyber Sleuth has an issue of the cutscenes and the transitions to and from them to be incredibly 'artificial'. The way the cutscenes work with the characters placed up right in front of the screen in a 'visual novel' style is sorta jarring, though I imagine it's for the sake of presentation and keeping animations and whatnot simple and clear to the player (though the Persona games don't really have any trouble with this). But the big issue is one that most JRPGs have - abrupt, nonsensical transitions to and from a black screen that seem to serve absolutely no purpose. I honestly think it's a sign of lazy designers and programmers. I mean, for God's sake, it happens in the bonus content of the DS release of Chrono Trigger, a game which originally had absolutely none of that nonsense.

Though, none of this would be a problem if the game wasn't so dependant on forcing control away from the player just to tell the story.

MongKey

Damn, I found a really nice side quest for grinding (the one where you find the gear), but thought I'd be able to come back to it later but the portal thing is gone now..Is there any way to get back into zones you've cleared? The dungeon thing in the lab doesn't have it.
You can go back to it using the mirror dungeon feauture in the digilab later in the game. Don't know exactly when though.
Is there a way to check the scan percentage in a dungeon? away from the Digilab?
Or can you only view it at the digilab along with evolution trees? (i'm just at chapter 1)
No, you can't check scan percentage outside the digilab. Either through battle or the digilab.
You can at the Digilab.
Yeah, that's correct. I just assumed he would know since using the lab is essential, my bad.
vita turned off after battery was gone and the game is still there after charging it? so good :<
It goes into a super low battery mode. The game is still there if you charged the vita back before it completely loses all charge and shuts down.

Meffer

So the protagonist enjoys Mapo Doufu (Tofu?)...

... Are they related to Kirei Kotomine in some way?'

On more serious note, it's weird that the female protagonist is treated as a guy whenever their gender comes up. Though that one part with the doll case in Chapter 8 is also hilarious since the shady salesman seems to immediately assume that the female protagonist is a lesbian. Though it's undercut by the extremely disturbing implications of the villain's plot revealed later on in the case...

Also, while I generally dislike cutscenes on principle, I think Cyber Sleuth has an issue of the cutscenes and the transitions to and from them to be incredibly 'artificial'. The way the cutscenes work with the characters placed up right in front of the screen in a 'visual novel' style is sorta jarring, though I imagine it's for the sake of presentation and keeping animations and whatnot simple and clear to the player (though the Persona games don't really have any trouble with this). But the big issue is one that most JRPGs have - abrupt, nonsensical transitions to and from a black screen that seem to serve absolutely no purpose. I honestly think it's a sign of lazy designers and programmers. I mean, for God's sake, it happens in the bonus content of the DS release of Chrono Trigger, a game which originally had absolutely none of that nonsense.
The localization isn't the best but it's passable. We have the game and it seems to be doing well.

Though, none of this would be a problem if the game wasn't so dependant on forcing control away from the player just to tell the story.

It comes with the territory when you're dealing with a game built for a handheld. Even though having it on PS4 is great, the UI size, cutscenes, and flow of the game are constant reminders that this is a lower budget game. I'm not complaining -- trust me, I'm happy with whatever Digimon I can get on whatever platform (I own numerous Wonderswans for a reason) -- but I really hope that this game does somewhat well enough to get a real console-focused Digimon game at some point down the road.

And no All Star Rumble doesn't count -_-

The localization isn't the best but it's passable. We have the game and it seems to be doing well.

The translation issues are something I can ignore, really. I'm more surprised that Bamco actually got away with keeping such a mature plotline intact. If this thing had been released while "Digimon Fusion" was still being aired, I imagine Bamco would get all sorts of heat from Saban and Nick for releasing a game that's not "family-friendly".

The bigger issues come from the inherent flaws caused by this being a relatively low-budget JRPG, IMO. I mean, I'm enjoying it, the visuals are terrific for a Vita title, and I'm glad the "dungeons" are actually fairly short, but they also generally look samey and repetitive, and having to go through them multiple times, especially if you're doing sidequests, is a pain. But I don't think I can fault the devs so much for that.

It comes with the territory when you're dealing with a game built for a handheld. Even though having it on PS4 is great, the UI size, cutscenes, and flow of the game are constant reminders that this is a lower budget game. I'm not complaining -- trust me, I'm happy with whatever Digimon I can get on whatever platform (I own numerous Wonderswans for a reason) -- but I really hope that this game does somewhat well enough to get a real console-focused Digimon game at some point down the road.

And no All Star Rumble doesn't count -_-

I honestly think Bandai could actually revitalize Digimon as a franchise, but they'd have to take it in a direction that isn't already cornered by Pokemon and Yokai Watch. Digimon was always Pokemon's more 'edgy' and 'mature' cousin, relatively speaking, but Cyber Sleuth's tone is a huge indicator of what sort of direction I think the franchise should be moving towards.

Dawg

Is there a tl;dr explanation about farms or will the game explain it better soon?

Like, should you put as much digimon as possible in there? What does cam mean? Development, training or investigation :0

Stuart444

Is there a tl;dr explanation about farms or will the game explain it better soon?

Like, should you put as much digimon as possible in there? What does cam mean? Development, training or investigation :0

Put as many Digimon as you want in there (up to 10). Use farm expansion upgrades (which you find throughout the game either from chests or requests rewards) to be able to put more farm goods in there later in the game.

CAM is a Digimon stat and is basically friendship, needed for some Digivolutions.

the 3 options is training stats, developing items or investigating which can put new requests onto the request board (Digimon requests are green pinned ones)

Kinsei

Banned

Training: This raises your stats based on who the leader is. The amount of total bonus stats you can get is determined by your Digimon's ABI stat. Some Digimon require you to do this if you want to evolve into them. If you accidentally put points into the wrong stat you can get stat decreasing items at the shop at the EDEN entrance.

Investigation: This gets you new sidequests.

Development: Your Digimon create items for you.

Farm goods: These are items you can place in the farm that will raise the stats of the Digimon in there.

CAM: This is short for camaraderie. You increase this stat by feeding you Digimon meat and by having them in your active party during battle. This stat is required for some evolutions.

ABI: This stat is what determines how many bonus stats you can get and it's required for certain evolutions (For example you need Tokomon to have 80 ABI to evolve into Lucemon). This is raised by evolving and devolving. The higher your level when you evolve or devolve the more ABI you get.

Stuart444

What does ABI stands for and how can I raise it?

ABI = Ability. Raise by de-digivolving.

Needed for many Mega-level Digimon. Also to raise the max level of your Digimon AND for bonus points that you can train in the farm. Stats gained in the farm is based off who the farm leader is. Personality of the leader determines the bonus stats gained.

As a side note again:

(ABI / 2 ) + 50

Max 100 bonus stats allowed (once you're ABI is at 100)

bonus stats are the numbers in brackets in the stat screen.

CaifHQnUcAEbVe_.jpg

My current team. Weird that Renamon digivolved from Tenemon here and not Viximon from Tamers.
Curse this Party Memory limit.

I'd like to think this game is doing well enough to encourage further development of Cyber Sleuth's direction and tone. Guess we'll see.

Stuart444

Should you have 8 reserve digimon in your team or just drop everyone else except your main 3 in farms?

Have as many as your party memory allows I'd say.

I'd like to think this game is doing well enough to encourage further development of Cyber Sleuth's direction and tone. Guess we'll see.

We'll see. Digimon World Next Order is just being released in Japan next month but what some of us are hoping for is that they alternate it. One game being the DIgimon World series and one game being the Digimon Story series (hopefully built on the systems used in Cyber Sleuth)

So we'll see what game they do next.

Stuart444

And everyone else in the farm? :D

Up to you. You can put all in the farm (up to 10 per farm) or put some in the bank and the rest in the farm, etc.

Though if you want the platinum trophy, you'll need all 5 farms filled with Digimon (50 Digimon, 10 per farm).

Haha you have the team i plan to have when i pick my copy up today, im just swapping gatomon for veemon. Also was gaomon hard to get.

Not really. Just get Botamon, then evolve it to Wanyamon, then to Gaomon.

But yeah, Gao/Gato/Terrier (now Gargo), was my planned main team, as is Renamon. With the reserves, I'm hoping to add Impmon, Falcomon, and Black Gatomon.

Are there any decent dungeons near the early parts of the game? Only on chapter two or three but the story stuff is doing nothing for me. I like how many digimon there are though so grinding through them is gonna be fun but looking to focus more on that.

I can tell already that I must prefer the world series rather than story but I'm hoping to still get a decent dungeon grinder out of it. Really would love a faster way of skipping all this text too.

Stuart444

Are there any decent dungeons near the early parts of the game? Only on chapter two or three but the story stuff is doing nothing for me. I like how many digimon there are though so grinding through them is gonna be fun but looking to focus more on that.

I can tell already that I must prefer the world series rather than story but I'm hoping to still get a decent dungeon grinder out of it. Really would love a faster way of skipping all this text too.

Chapter 4, Hagurumon request dungeon.

Chapter 4, Hagurumon request dungeon.

Ah awesome, I'm getting pretty close to that then! I managed to just about grind out a team of Kuwagamon, Garurumon and Greymon in the second area but going any higher on those sorta digimon would be a real slog. I feel sorry for any bosses coming my way soon.

So im in chapter 4 and im looking for Victory Uchida, the trophy guide says he's in Shibuya but he's not where he's supposed to be. Does he pop up later on in the chapter?

Should you be de-digivolving early in the game?

There's little reason not to IMO. My blk agumon couldn't reach the level for blk Greymon so I devolved it. It takes no time to get back to the digimon you devolved from and it will be noticeably stronger once you get a couple levels back into it.

Top Bottom