• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth |OT| The Prodigious Mon Returns (Courtesy of a Petition)

Stuart444

Almost feels like we should have written a tips/help section or something before the game released. So many repeated questions. (about Ability, the farm, when you can access the RK digivolutions, etc.)

But oh well, some people wouldn't have looked at the op anyway :)

Also in terms of length, I'd put this game at 30 - 40 hours depending on how grind happy you get. The more you grind and play with digivolutions, the longer you'll get out of it.

You'll also get a LOT more out of it in terms of time played if we get the Demon Lords DLC as they require some actual strategy. (Lucemon is a bitch to beat, I still haven't beat her in my JP save... :( )

Any tips for getting the hang of the Digimon collection loop? I'm just wandering in the dark here since I haven't played a Digimon game in forever. My collection/fusion skills all come from SMT/Persona games. I currently have 3 digimon on the Digifarm doing "Investigation" whatever that means, and when they hit max level I just digi-evolved them into whatever shadow looked the most promising. I have 5 digimon in my battle party (2 in reserve), waiting for them to max out before digi-evolving again.

Any general tips and clarifications about the systems would be great!

I'm trying to complete my Digidex and it's pretty complicated... biggest things the game doesn't explain that you need to know are how stats work. You've probably already realized that many digimon require the pre-evolution form to attain certain level and stat milestones before evolution.

ABI: For the Digimon itself first thing you should know is that all stats reset on evolution/de-evolution except the "ABI" stat. Let's compare two Angemons.
Patamon (Level 50) > Angemon (level 1) [ABI 18]
Patamon (Level 18) > Angemon (level 1) [ABI 15]
The two Angemons have the exact same combat stats, only the "ABI" stat is higher.
ABI only affects three things: some high level digimon need certain ABI stats to level into. ABI increases the level cap. And ABI determines the amount of "EV points" you can accumulate.
So practically speaking, most Megas have ABI of 20 requirement. Some cooler ones need 40 ABI. Most bigshot Megas (like protagonist megas) need like 80 ABI. Very few digimon need 100ABI.
Best way to accumulate ABI is to just rapidly devolve and evolve over and over.

CAM: The CAM stat is from 0-100. It's basically friendship; it goes up by 1 point for every battle you complete with a digimon on the FRONTLINE only, or by feeding it food in the farm. You need it to evolve into some Digimon; the Greymon lines usually need high amounts of CAM as do some of the final megas.
DigiFarm "Training": Training in the Digifarm is the only way to add EVs to your Digimon. EV are bonus stats that stay with that Digimon even as it moves through forms. Your Max EVs is a total of 50 + ABI/2 (max of 100 EVs). Training rapidly causes you to lose CAM but speeds up the EV accumulation.
Training is super important for Megas. Many Mega pokemon require stats that are literally impossible to get without manipulating EVs. For example, Leviamon needs HP values that it's pre-evolution forms cannot reach at max level, so the only way to get Leviamon is the evolve an ultimate with lots of HP EVs.
Whenever you use "Training" the EVs that increase are based on your digimon's personality (look it up on the internet to see which personality matters).

Finally if you want to get the Digidex complete in a timely fashion, you pretty much HAVE to do EXP grinding. The EXP you get in this game is utterly abyssal. Like... the final dungeon has monsters giving like 2000 XP each, which probably requires you to fight like 100 random battles to go from level 1 to 99 (which is mandatory for some digimon!).

You've heard of "Platinum" monsters who double (additively, not multiplicative) EXP per. You pretty much need these to do any meaningful grinding.
Also you'll NEED "Tactician USBs" which are accessories that double EXP for much the same reason.

"Develop" on Digifarm: This gives you a random item when the timer ends. The timer's length is decreased by including lots of Digimon with the "Builder" personality, and making one the leader.
When you choose Develop you have to pick how much Yen you want to invest. The item tables for each investment are different; the 1000yen one gives you the EXP raising gear.
You can just keep reloading till you get one, but it's more realistic to save up to buy lots of Farm Goods (The "Developer's Knowledge") that increase Develop quality (check the shop in the Digilab). If you fill a farm with Developer's Knowledge the EXP accessory comes up fairly frequently.

Investigation just unlocks some extra quests, pretty basic stuff usually giving you medals. Collect them all at your own peril; medals don't unlock anything meaningful but are there for completionists.

Practical Early Game Advice: Don't worry about ABI. It's trivial to farm later in the game and you won't need it till you reach Megas. That means there's no reason not to digivolve ASAP.

It's trivial to get all the Rookie digimon in the early game, just keep your Digifarm filled to the brim and keep devolving and evolving between the Rookie and Baby forms. You can do this while progressing the story. You will find that Digimon level faster in the farm than in your party, given how crappy early game EXP is.

Getting all the Champion forms will take some work. It helps a ton to use PlatinumSukamon and/or try to farm some Tactician USBs.

You need to do EXP farming to reasonably finish the Ultimate and Mega digidexes. This is much easier in the late game too, since the late game shops contain items that boosts EVs without training and easy ways to reduce EVs too.

Finally if you do early EXP farming and find yourself outlevelling everything: switch to Hard Mode, which almost seems balanced for NG+. It's like SMT level hard, exploit weaknesses and tailor specific teams to specific bosses or get wiped.

yami4ct

None of those mean much to me because I don't know what are cool "top rank Digimon" at this point, and I don't even know what IceDevimon is. Lol. I'll check out the guide later. Thanks. :)

In the guide, there is list of things by level. Stuff listed under Mega, Ultimate or Super Ultimate are typically cool digimon at the very end of their evo line. You can cross reference it with this if you want photos to see what looks cool. Some of the top of the line guys are locked behind quests at the very end of the game, though. These are mostly guys under the 'royal knights' line. Those tend to look like cool armored humanoids.

IceDevimon is a relatively early digimon with a skill that basically ignores defense. He destroys some bosses that could otherwise be a bit tricky. He looks like this.

IceDevimon.png

MongKey

You'll also get a LOT more out of it in terms of time played if we get the Demon Lords DLC as they require some actual strategy. (Lucemon is a bitch to beat, I still haven't beat her in my JP save... :( )
Can't imagine how hard they will be in hard mode if they are already hard on normal. @_@

Are those super tough battles the Royal Knight unlocks?

Them and the Demon Lords DLC quests.

Kinda, the RK unlocks are somewhat tough (well not all of them, some of them are tough though I'd say) but the Demon Lords DLC are much above that in terms of difficulty.

I'd say its mixed between the two. I think the Ulforce V-dramon fight is the toughest in the entire game, although part of the reason the later ones aren't as hard is because you can take Ulforce V-dramon into them.

The Demon Lords DLC fights have some easier and harder ones, too, but they're probably a little harder as a whole.

yami4ct

Kinda, the RK unlocks are somewhat tough (well not all of them, some of them are tough though I'd say) but the Demon Lords DLC are much above that in terms of difficulty.

I sure hopes that whatever's going on with the purple DLC quests gets cleared up sooner rather than later. If they are planning to sell them, I hope they say that and get them up there fairly quickly. If it is a glitch, hopefully it gets wrapped quickly.

Stuart444

I'd say its mixed between the two. I think the Ulforce V-dramon fight is the toughest in the entire game, although part of the reason the later ones aren't as hard is because you can take Ulforce V-dramon into them.

The Demon Lords DLC fights have some easier and harder ones, too, but they're probably a little harder as a whole.

Huh, I didn't have much trouble with UlforceVeedramon. I forget how I beat him though.

I know I had some trouble with
Imperialdramon: Paladin Mode though. IIRC, I got killed a few times with some move that always kills you if you're too slow or don't kill them in the right order or something. Took me a few tries but I did it eventually.

Hikami

Also in terms of length, I'd put this game at 30 - 40 hours depending on how grind happy you get. The more you grind and play with digivolutions, the longer you'll get out of it.

Yep.. lol
I'm at only on Chapter 10 and have played for over 40 hours. I got all the demons in SMTIV since fusing was too much fun. Might end up doing the same here.

Man the second half of the game especially after Chapter 11 really picks up the game a lot having a blast with it as I'm halfway through Chapter 19 now. Memory capacity is at 230 so team is looking real good now. Found Nokia annoying but no where near the level of that rocker kid. So is there an anime that accompanies the game or looks similar to the style of cutscenes they use?

Huh, I didn't have much trouble with UlforceVeedramon. I forget how I beat him though.

I know I had some trouble with
Imperialdramon: Paladin Mode though. IIRC, I got killed a few times with some move that always kills you if you're too slow or don't kill them in the right order or something. Took me a few tries but I did it eventually.

I had a lot of trouble with Ulforce V-dramon. He was basically attacking five or six times before I could even go and wiping out pretty much my whole party.
It took a lot of grinding and setting up specific stat getups for me to get a team of Digimon that could move fast enough to keep him from just running over me right from the start and have enough strength to beat him. (It didn't help that you needed to take a virus type Digimon with you for the hacking skill to even get in, so I couldn't just take a team of 11 data types)

Yasumi

Banned
The Doll quest. 😨

That ending tho...
I did it like 8 hours ago, and it's still giving me the heebie jeebies just thinking about it.

Seriously wasn't expecting something that fucked up in a Digimon game. It disturbed me pretty deeply, and I kind of love it for that.

ViciousDS

Banned
Almost have my lucemon.....when you convert to scan is it always 100%? I want to know down the line if I can start him over with a better personality without going through hell to get him again.

Delio

Thanks guys for the answers. Yeah I'm trying not to ask to many questions and just discover it on my own.

LycanXIII

Man the second half of the game especially after Chapter 11 really picks up the game a lot having a blast with it as I'm halfway through Chapter 19 now. Memory capacity is at 230 so team is looking real good now. Found Nokia annoying but no where near the level of that rocker kid. So is there an anime that accompanies the game or looks similar to the style of cutscenes they use?

There's not an accompanying anime, but there is Tri, the "third season" of the Adventure series. First part is already out.

dragn

Almost have my lucemon.....when you convert to scan is it always 100%? I want to know down the line if I can start him over with a better personality without going through hell to get him again.

you can just buy a change item in eden entrance later in the game, just got mastemon <3

pArDteb.jpg

ViciousDS

Banned
you can just buy a change item in eden entrance later in the game, just got mastemon <3

pArDteb.jpg

I thought the boost counts while leveling....huh....if it just adds 5% to the total then tha I heavens. But I thought it was a boost for stats when you leveled

BY2K

Membero Americo
This has definitely been the scratch I needed for that turned-based RPG itch I've been having recently.

Stuart444

Yeah with Personality, there is items that change Personality that you will get later on. :)

This has definitely been the scratch I needed for that turned-based RPG itch I've been having recently.

And if you know anyone else who has the same itch, recommend DIGIMON!

(I so want this to sell good)

You can get an item at the Eden Entrance or through random chest that can change their personalities. When your converting to scan you should aim for it to be at 200% to get higher starting stats.

Delio

Yeah with Personality, there is items that change Personality that you will get later on. :)

And if you know anyone else who has the same itch, recommend DIGIMON!

(I so want this to sell good)

I sold two people on the game just recently. I'm helping :)

Breads

Banned
I've found her fairly obnoxious in the first half. It doesn't help that I find her design to possibly be the worst in the whole game. That's something, since I hate Yasuda's stuff in general.

What... you don't like hoodies, two half sun dresses stitched together with a bikini underneath, garter stockings that are attached to invisible garter belts, and a shit load of necklaces?

Farewell

Yeah, see above if you really need some exp/grinding. Chapter 6 :)

To do a comparison to the ones you've played, it's more like 3 than 1. It's very fun though. <3 I recommend it if you're a Digimon fan (or even just a JRPG fan)

Thanks, downloading right now!

L95

What... you don't like hoodies, two half sun dresses stitched together with a bikini underneath, garter stockings that are attached to invisible garter belts, and a shit load of necklaces?

Nokia's ...bra? Bikini? straps falling off her shoulders....

Fix them or get one that fits dammitsadcvrsdtbfvzsetdrjfunhtf

That, and her design feels like it clashes, her torso and up feel 'casual' but her stockings and shoes look like they go with a suit <.<

Syntsui

WarGreymon is absurdly powerful, I'm breezing through the game on hard mode with him. That Tornado attack is beyond broken and the AoE signature attack is ridiculous.

Cant wait to be able to DNA divivolve it with Metalgarurumon, who is pretty underwhelming so far.

When is the next grinding area I completed the harurumon quest and forgot not to kill Flamedramon. I'm currently on the Akihabara mission.

L95

WarGreymon is absurdly powerful, I'm breezing through the game on hard mode with him. That Tornado attack is beyond broken and the AoE signature attack is ridiculous.

Cant wait to be able to DNA divivolve it with Metalgarurumon, who is pretty underwhelming so far.

Ah, yes, Garurugreymon is pretty great.

Just destroyed UlforceVeedramon so quick and hard I almost felt bad. Character Reversal + BlackWarGrey w/ BlackTornado just about two shotted him

Breads

Banned
That, and her design feels like it clashes, her torso and up feel 'casual' but her stockings and shoes look like they go with a suit <.<

To me this is the only way she makes any sense. She has elements of formal/ business wear, night wear, beach wear, and casual wear... with a shit load of necklaces. I'm only at the tail end of Ch. 2 so I don't have the best idea of who she is as a character so maybe it reflects on her.

But yeah shit is wierd. I like it though. The designs are fun. I'd rather see over the top than safe.

yami4ct

To me this is the only way she makes any sense. She has elements of formal/ business wear, night wear, beach wear, and casual wear... with a shit load of necklaces. I'm only at the tail end of Ch. 2 so I don't have the best idea of who she is as a character so maybe it reflects on her.

But yeah shit is wierd. I like it though. The designs are fun. I'd rather see over the top than safe.

There's not playing it safe, and there's having characters with proportions that make them look like weird mutant monstrosities.

Stuart444

Sent you a question via PM.

Game is so good, at 25 hours now on chapter 7.

Saw it :) replied.

I'm at about 12 hours at Chapter 6, half way through it.

I could be even further along but I got kinda addicted to Digivolving Digimon for shits and giggles.

Like literally Digivolving into one thing, then De-digivoling with several of my rookies into Champions and several Champions to Ultimates.

I eventually pulled myself away from it >.> reluctantly.

Saw it :) replied.

I'm at about 12 hours at Chapter 6, half way through it.

I could be even further along but I got kinda addicted to Digivolving Digimon for shits and giggles.

Like literally Digivolving into one thing, then De-digivoling with several of my rookies into Champions and several Champions to Ultimates.

I eventually pulled myself away from it >.> reluctantly.

Yeah I think to myself that I'll just digivolve once more but then I see another Digimon that I want and just keep at it.

Dugna

Holy crap I used to love Flamedramon as a kid but now I kinda hate him, dude got flaming fist for days though in the cup.

Rnr1224

Whats the easiest way that everyone has found to get lucemon? So far im trying to get his ABI up to 80 which requires a lot of de-digivolve and digivolving. Tips for his other requirements would be appreciated as well.

Top Bottom