• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth |OT| The Prodigious Mon Returns (Courtesy of a Petition)

Kinsei

Banned
More like I wasn't expecting the difficulty jump at the end. I was basically soloing it with one digi and then bam destroyed. Oh well time to go grind.

The wut was me being shocked.

Oh. I happened to have the perfect team to wreck the boss when I did it. Having two Digimon with defense ignoring attacks is great!

Stuart444

So do I have to de-digivolve him further? He's at ABI 35, now Garurumon, with DEF 66.

Yes. Get up a Calc and see how many bonus stats you can get

(35 ABI / 2) + 50 = 67.5 though it seems to round it all the way down to 66. No idea why but it's close enough. (edit: unless you have an extra bonus stat already in something, like 1 in HP or something then that would be why. Otherwise, who knows...)

If you want ALL 100 bonus stats, you will need to Digivolve and De-Digivolve him until he gets 100 ABI so you can get 100 DEF assuming you want that.

Shouldn't Weregarurumon also be a defender to get DEF bonus and not just the leader?

Yes.

Shouldn't Weregarurumon also be a defender to get DEF bonus and not just the leader?
...my DLC Black Garurumon was Brainy. :(
Yes. Get up a Calc and see how many bonus stats you can get

(35 ABI / 2) + 50 = 67.5 though it seems to round it all the way down to 66. No idea why but it's close enough. (edit: unless you have an extra bonus stat already in something, like 1 in HP or something then that would be why. Otherwise, who knows...)

If you want ALL 100 bonus stats, you will need to Digivolve and De-Digivolve him until he gets 100 ABI so you can get 100 DEF assuming you want that.

Yes.
Wait, I didn't know the target Digimon also had to be of the target type to receive the bonus. So if you want to raise a Digimon's ATK stat, both the leader Digimon AND the target Digimon have to be Fighters?

sensui-tomo

Why has no one said anything about NORIO WAKAMOTO being in this game. Once i heard his character talk i knew that voice instantly.

Had to take a break after the side quest about the Shut-in Boy in Chapter 7. Reminded me too much of myself, being autistic and unable to make friends or feel comfortable around others in real life, and only really being able to be myself online.

Also I really need to start paying attention to types. When a Rookie is your best option against a Mega, something is wrong.

Stuart444

Wait, I didn't know the target Digimon also had to be of the target type to receive the bonus. So if you want to raise a Digimon's ATK stat, both the leader Digimon AND the target Digimon have to be Fighters?

No no, the question (at least was phrased as) the leader is set to WereGarurumon but in order to get the target stat bonus, don't they need to be the personality of the target stat.

Which the answer is yes. (that all make sense I hope, I just answered the question the way I thought it was phrased)

Any Digimon that isn't the leader will get whatever the leaders stat type is AND whatever their own is (ie a DEF leader and Fighter Digimon that isn't the leader, the Fighter will get both Atk and DEF bonus stats).

You can of course manipulate it, change their personality via item or decrease their stat you don't want via item and just keep training them and decreasing the stat you don't want until they max out on the stat you do want.

That should work, at least it did for me in the JP version iirc.

Had to take a break after the side quest about the Shut-in Boy in Chapter 7. Reminded me too much of myself, being autistic and unable to make friends or feel comfortable around others in real life, and only really being able to be myself online.

Also I really need to start paying attention to types. When a Rookie is your best option against a Mega, something is wrong.

If they are susceptible to BUG (PlatSukamon's Character Reversal) and you have a Digimon that is usually weak against them, you can infect them with BUG and use the Digimon that are usually weak against them since the strengths/weaknesses are reversed.

It's quite a genius move whenever you fight someone who can be bugged out. (not Reppamon sadly though :( I tried lol)

No no, the question (at least was phrased as) the leader is set to WereGarurumon but in order to get the target stat bonus, don't they need to be the personality of the target stat.

Which the answer is yes. (that all make sense I hope, I just answered the question the way I thought it was phrased)

Any Digimon that isn't the leader will get whatever the leaders stat type is AND whatever their own is (ie a DEF leader and Fighter Digimon that isn't the leader, the Fighter will get both Atk and DEF bonus stats).

You can of course manipulate it, change their personality via item or decrease their stat you don't want via item and just keep training them and decreasing the stat you don't want until they max out on the stat you do want.

If they are susceptible to BUG (PlatSukamon's Character Reversal) and you have a Digimon that is usually weak against them, you can infect them with BUG and use the Digimon that are usually weak against them since the strengths/weaknesses are reversed.

It's quite a genius move whenever you fight someone who can be bugged out. (not Reppamon sadly though :( I tried lol)
Oh, right. Sorry for not phrasing it correctly lol. What I had meant was that I had a Durable leader, but Weregarurumon wasn't getting any DEF bonus points. But I understand how it works now. Thanks. :)

Stuart444

Do you gain points faster for having the personality and leader personality be the same?

No, it just means you don't need to work around it to get the stats you want. (all bonus stats will go to the one instead of being split between different stats)

Oh, right. Sorry for not phrasing it correctly lol. What I had meant was that I had a Durable leader, but Weregarurumon wasn't getting any DEF bonus points. But I understand how it works now. Thanks. :)

Ah yeah, I think Durable is HP? Not sure on that. Defender is DEF.

Stuart444

...oh crap, you're right.

Hehe, I can understand why you'd think it was that but once you see the word "Defender" it becomes more obvious.

My first few Digimon, one of them was Defender so I found out quickly enough :p

edit: DAMN, almost 200 posts in this thread. Didn't realize I had posted that much here haha.

Was fighting Jimiken who had 2 SkullMeramon and a Boltmon. Both my Ultimates (Zudomon and RiseGreymon) were weak against him and my Renamon of all Digimon ended up doing the most damage to Boltmon. Also I don't think my PlatinumSukamon can use Bug yet. That or I never bothered to check since I never knew what Bug actually does.

One other thing, is it impossible to not hit one of your Digimon when they have Panic on them? Every single time one of my Digimon have Panic on them they hurt each other and never an enemy.

Dugna

Was fighting Jimiken who had 2 SkullMeramon and a Boltmon. Both my Ultimates (Zudomon and RiseGreymon) were weak against him and my Renamon of all Digimon ended up doing the most damage to Boltmon. Also I don't think my PlatinumSukamon can use Bug yet. That or I never bothered to check since I never knew what Bug actually does.

One other thing, is it impossible to not hit one of your Digimon when they have Panic on them? Every single time one of my Digimon have Panic on them they hurt each other and never an enemy.

Panic is random, you have just been unlucky.

Stuart444

Character Reversal is learned in their 20s.

I defeated those 3 with nothing but 3 PlatinumSukamon and had to heal 2 or 3 times (via HP Spray and some SP items).

The Platinum Digimon are TANKS. The only thing that hurt them significantly was that swing attack from Boltmon after he powers up.

And yes, it's random and you just had bad luck. Panic'd Digimon can and do hit enemies.

Delio

I'm looking into making a buff support Digimon. Any suggestions on who can fill that role or if i should even have one? Right now GrandLocomon is kind of filling that slot atm thanks to his defense but wondering if there is anyone better.

Character Reversal is learned in their 20s.

I defeated those 3 with nothing but 3 PlatinumSukamon and had to heal 2 or 3 times (via HP Spray and some SP items).

The Platinum Digimon are TANKS. The only thing that hurt them significantly was that swing attack from Boltmon after he powers up.

And yes, it's random and you just had bad luck. Panic'd Digimon can and do hit enemies.

I've been only using one the whole time. Should get another if I can remember how.

Li Kao

Hmm, am I the only one to have a hard time with the script ? I would'nt automatically say 'bad translation' because English is only my second language, but fuck if the game doesn't regularly lose me.
I have the feeling of playing a seriously deeper game than expected with a seriously subpar translation. So many dialogs feels completely off...

So am I alone and just tired or is there really an issue ?

Hmm, am I the only one to have a hard time with the script ? I would'nt automatically say 'bad translation' because English is only my second language, but fuck if the game doesn't regularly lose me.
I have the feeling of playing a seriously deeper game than expected with a seriously suboar translation. So many dialogs feels completely off...

No you aren't, the localization is lacking and outright makes no sense at times.

I have the feeling of playing a seriously deeper game than expected with a seriously subpar translation. So many dialogs feels completely off...

Nah, I posted pretty much exactly the same thing earlier in the thread. I've found it gets better but the DigiLine texts are still nonsensical more often than not.

L95

Nah, the translation/localization is a mess of varying degree depending on where you're at.

Stuart444

Nope, not alone. It's a combination of a low budget translation which is both too literal at times (the DigiLine texts especially feel like that) and at times they take some liberties with the translation. The end result is a jumbled mess.

I also have a feeling that the translators and editors weren't able to look at the context (ie the scenes in the game) when translating and editing it.

There is QUITE A FEW sections where it's obvious what is meant but it feels off, doesn't read right or the words are jumbled up.

Some examples would be assuming Mr/Miss/etc because some sections may not have gendered pronouns used because in Japanese, it's obvious in context. (and gendered pronouns don't really exist like "Miss", etc) I don't remember the exact Japanese from the JP version but in one scene with an Administrator, the lady says "Don't call me Mister Administrator like that" implying that our silent protagonist said it to them. The Japanese may have used the word Administrator-san/sama or something similar which doesn't imply gender.

So the translator may have assumed male and the editor wouldn't have changed it because neither of them had context and the budget wasn't high enough for them to waste time getting the game and getting the right scene for them to look at. (budget because time = money and all that so any wasted time is bad if trying to keep something low budget).

One example. I had a few more in my head but it's so late that I've forgotten it while I was typing that XD but you see what I mean.

The DigiLine texts however feel so literal to me. So weird to read in English.

Still the translation isn't exactly SAOHF tier but it isn't a great translation either. It is very low budget.

But if it sells well, we may yet get future Digimon games with a better localization budget. (I really really hope so. I don't want this to be the last one we get in the west ;_: )

edit: I hope all of that above made enough sense. after 6am and I am bad enough at explaining things when I'm awake, I'm even worse when I'm sleepy.

sIaanFu.png

Haha

L95

I also have a feeling that the translators and editors weren't able to look at the context (ie the scenes in the game) when translating and editing it.

Seriously, there's a generic message during one of the fluxes for NPCs that's something like "She's frozen/can't move" when there are male and female NPCs with the message.

LycanXIII

I'm glad I've got Google, because how am I supposed to know what the nationality of the person who first brought coffee to Japan was, Knightmon?

They were Dutch.

Stuart444

I'm glad I've got Google, because how am I supposed to know what the nationality of the person who first brought coffee to Japan was, Knightmon?

They were Dutch.

Yeah, it's a very Japanese game in that sense, almost like Yakuza 5 which had it's own fair share of things you'd only know if you Lived in/Studied Japan. And some things even they might have issues answering XD.

It did teach me about that Island which is considered part of Tokyo though. I didn't know about that. Okinotori I believe it was.

Something that's been creeping me out ever since I started my first Chapter 14 boss fight.
Why is it that the end of every digital shift at this point has a giant fucking glitched hand hanging out at the back?!

End of the day team

In hindsight, Haguru > Clockmon > Datamon > Machindramon was a horrible idea, given that it has crap for INT, and you get a lot of Magic attacks that means little to Machindramon. Bleh.

RexNovis

Banned
Access the Mirror Dungeon via the DigiLab. The dungeons you complete end up unlocked there once there is no more story/side quests to do in them.

I cant seem to go back to the Digital Shift locations in Akihabara and Shinjuku. I think I missed chests with memory ups in those locations. Are those gone forever or is there some way of going back to those places that I haven't found yet. They dont appear to be available in the digilab

Top Bottom