• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Star Wars Outlaws - PS5/Xbox Series X|S Tech Review - A Standout Snowdrop Engine Effort

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Based on the same Snowdrop Engine that powered the incredible Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora, we've been anticipating Star Wars: Outlaws for some time - and from a visual perspective, it doesn't disappoint. Tom takes a look at all three console versions and every mode therein, including a look at 21:9 vs 16:9 gameplay.

00:00 Introduction
01:41 Tech Overview
06:30 Ultrawide versus Fill Screen Comparison
09:33 60/40/30fps Mode Comparison
12:54 Series S vs Series X
14:14 PS5/Series X Frame-Rate tests
18:38 Series S Frame-Rate Test
19:51 Verdict

Last edited:

Based on the same Snowdrop Engine that powered the incredible Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora, we've been anticipating Star Wars: Outlaws for some time - and from a visual perspective, it doesn't disappoint. Tom takes a look at all three console versions and every mode therein, including a look at 21:9 vs 16:9 gameplay.

00:00 Introduction
01:41 Tech Overview
06:30 Ultrawide versus Fill Screen Comparison
09:33 60/40/30fps Mode Comparison
12:54 Series S vs Series X
14:14 PS5/Series X Frame-Rate tests
18:38 Series S Frame-Rate Test
19:51 Verdict

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
GWAcmRzWwAArduW

adamsapple

- Current gen only. Runs on Snowdrop Engine, same engine used for Avatar.
- Choice of 3 modes. 30hz, 40hz, 60hz Performance mode. Only on Series X and PS5
- Series S version has singular performance mode.

- Many parallels with Avatar in terms of tech.
- RT deployed on all consoles.
- RTGI and RT reflections with SSR as backup (enemies only reflected via SSR)
- Distant shadows also ray traced.

- Difficult to ignore some rough spots, however.
- AI, enemy path finding, cut-scene animation etc betray a visually strong package.

- A cinematic 21 : 9 cinematic option also present, and it runs as default.
- DF says this mode only removes top and bottom halves and adds black bars.
- The 16 : 9 mode surprisingly runs with less drops on PS5 when compared to 21 : 9
- Many areas show no virtual difference.
- DF stuck with the full-screen 16 : 9 mode for testing.

- Graphics:
- 60 fps Performance: DRS 720p to 1080p
- 40 fps Quality: DRS 936p to 1252p
- 30 fps Quality: 1134p to 1620p
- Above metrics are broadly same for PS5 and SX. They match visual features as well.
- Series S offers a single 1080p mode.
-FSR is used to reconstruct game to 4K or 1440p (Performance)
- Stair step and fine grass elements still resolve as pixelated noise in areas
- Grass density, foliage distance and reflection clarity is the only major difference in Quality and Performance.
- Series S runs at Performance mode equivalent settings to SX and PS5
- Series S includes all the same RT features with the lighting calculation distance being the only difference. (i-e it resolves farther on PS5/SX)

- Performance:
- All cutscenes are locked at 30 FPS on all modes.

- 30 FPS Quality mode generally runs locked with only one or two single frame drops
- SX uses adaptive V-sync while PS5 is V-Synced, however any tearing on Xbox is largely invisible

- 40 FPS Quality mode is DF's preferred option even with a small hit on image quality
- The game runs at a stable 40 fps on PS5/SX with only minor single drops in DF's testing

- 60 FPS mode doesn't get to a tight 60 FPS lock despite resolution drop
- Broadly matched FPS settings with Xbox deploying adaptive Sync and PS5 using V-sync
- Xbox's 120hz and broader VRR range reduce judder compared to PS5 where any drop below 48hz will manifest as juddering.

- Series S:
- Locked to 30 FPS 99% of the time with single drops.
- Streaming hitches are more glaring on Series S compared to PS5/SX
- DF thinks the absence of a 40 fps mode is a shame, as Avatar supported 40 fps on Series S

Last edited:

adamsapple

It's actually a 16:7 or 16:6 instead since it just adds two black bars in the top and bottom part, but it doesn't add anything new on the left or right side.

Really weird that it has less average FPS this way

As with 99% of major game releases these days, this probably came in hot.

I bet it'll be in a much better place with issues like that and the Performance mode being more stable by its second or third patch.

Hugare

iFPNbZ9.jpeg

gRNK6PT.jpeg

SCp1t6W.jpeg

OQPb3DM.jpeg

k5NkkmG.jpeg

YPiA9cj.jpeg

6cGuqkX.jpeg

z4o6Uu1.png

They did the model dirty lmao. She’s fucking UGLY! And the facial animation is andromeda level bad wtf?
Its 100% on the lighting. If it was the ingame model's fault it would look hideous the whole time, which isnt the case

720p in performance mode is just OOF

Massive graphics team is very talented. Problem is the rest of the studio.

Last edited:

Quantum253

Gold Member
Its 100% on the lighting. If it was the ingame model's fault it would look hideous the whole time, which isnt the case

720p in performance mode is just OOF

Massive graphics team is very talented. Problem is the rest of the studio.
I watched a brief stream and thought something was wrong with my monitor/PC output because everything looked dark and distorted. Maybe the lighting needs some patching. Gameplay itself looked interesting. I was getting Uncharted X Starwars vibes

GymWolf

Gold Member
The game model itself is nothing special, but the animation makes it look much worse than it actually is.
I get that digital acting is something that not every dev can do properly, but what is the excuse for the absolutely dogshittly animated ko animations and melee animations? they are cheap AA quality at the very best.

And how did division 2 maker massive(ly) fucked up the gunplay so much?

Last edited:

King Dazzar

I think avatar looked much, much better tbh.
On PS5 after they patched it. I found interiors looked good in the performance mode. But step outside and the image fidelity was poor, with distant detail atrocious. And even then it wasnt a locked 60 and needed VRR.

Rudius

It’s fine if you don’t want to hate on the game, I get it, but don’t try and gaslight everyone that has functioning eyeballs. The character model is objectively fugly. And it’s not mean to say so. The only people that should be offended by this are the unskilled ones that created and animated the model.
It can't be lack of skill if the male counterpart looks basically identical to the actor, while the girl looks like that.

GymWolf

Gold Member
On PS5 after they patched it. I found interiors looked good in the performance mode. But step outside and the image fidelity was poor, with distant detail atrocious. And even then it wasnt a locked 60 and needed VRR.
Indoors were a bit shit compared to the outdoors, but since you are outdoors 95% of the time it really didn't matter.

On pc the game was straight up some of the best graphic available on the market.

bundylove

Pro is my only hope. By then if it did get a patch, it should be on sale too, I'd have thought. But for now, I'm out.
I am holding back on avatar, alan wake 2, and a few more in hopes to get the best visual experience on my 85inch qn95c.

The tv holds up but you can see a lot of shimer in certain areas so pro is my hope to play at 60fps.

40 is servicable but 60 is the way to go

Bitstream

I hear what you're saying, shake and bake, but 30FPS is around for the long haul; as long as 60hz tvs are the primary display for the majority of people

Top Bottom