• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Star Wars Outlaws - PS5/Xbox Series X|S Tech Review - A Standout Snowdrop Engine Effort

phant0m

Fuck the ray tracing. I'd much rather have a higher base resolution/sharper image quality and solid 60fps. I prefer the Division 2 graphically because of this. Step backwards for me. £120 for an ultimate version at 720p with an unstable frame rate. Dream on Ubi.
Most RT implementations are such a scam. 20 fps hit for visuals you can't tell the difference without side-by-side stills

Sad this gen still can't muster native 1440p rendering at 60fps for most games.

bundylove

- Current gen only. Runs on Snowdrop Engine, same engine used for Avatar.
- Choice of 3 modes. 30hz, 40hz, 60hz Performance mode. Only on Series X and PS5
- Series S version has singular performance mode.

- Many parallels with Avatar in terms of tech.
- RT deployed on all consoles.
- RTGI and RT reflections with SSR as backup (enemies only reflected via SSR)
- Distant shadows also ray traced.

- Difficult to ignore some rough spots, however.
- AI, enemy path finding, cut-scene animation etc betray a visually strong package.

- A cinematic 21 : 9 cinematic option also present, and it runs as default.
- DF says this mode only removes top and bottom halves and adds black bars.
- The 16 : 9 mode surprisingly runs with less drops on PS5 when compared to 21 : 9
- Many areas show no virtual difference.
- DF stuck with the full-screen 16 : 9 mode for testing.

- Graphics:
- 60 fps Performance: DRS 720p to 1080p
- 40 fps Quality: DRS 936p to 1252p
- 30 fps Quality: 1134p to 1620p
- Above metrics are broadly same for PS5 and SX. They match visual features as well.
- Series S offers a single 1080p mode.
-FSR is used to reconstruct game to 4K or 1440p (Performance)
- Stair step and fine grass elements still resolve as pixelated noise in areas
- Grass density, foliage distance and reflection clarity is the only major difference in Quality and Performance.
- Series S runs at Performance mode equivalent settings to SX and PS5
- Series S includes all the same RT features with the lighting calculation distance being the only difference. (i-e it resolves farther on PS5/SX)

- Performance:
- All cutscenes are locked at 30 FPS on all modes.

- 30 FPS Quality mode generally runs locked with only one or two single frame drops
- SX uses adaptive V-sync while PS5 is V-Synced, however any tearing on Xbox is largely invisible

- 40 FPS Quality mode is DF's preferred option even with a small hit on image quality
- The game runs at a stable 40 fps on PS5/SX with only minor single drops in DF's testing

- 60 FPS mode doesn't get to a tight 60 FPS lock despite resolution drop
- Broadly matched FPS settings with Xbox deploying adaptive Sync and PS5 using V-sync
- Xbox's 120hz and broader VRR range reduce judder compared to PS5 where any drop below 48hz will manifest as juddering.

- Series S:
- Locked to 30 FPS 99% of the time with single drops.
- Streaming hitches are more glaring on Series S compared to PS5/SX
- DF thinks the absence of a 40 fps mode is a shame, as Avatar supported 40 fps on Series S
Greatly appreciate you sir/madame.

One of the most level headed person on this forum as well.

Keep it up.

bundylove

It warms my heart to see additional games with a 40FPS option, 30FPS needs to be TRASHED.
Agreed.

And the reason? Not a lot of people have 120hz tv's.

Most dont even know the benefits of it.
40fps is a such a sweet spot for me its a night and day difference from 30.

And thats the sad part. You need a good tv to get the most out of these machines.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Full disclosure, you are not an alt account of mine before anyone says that :messenger_grinning_sweat:
If your avatar changes to this

NqvVOC5.png

We'll really start to get suspicious

welshrat

Really quite looking forward to this on ps5. Glad to see the 40hz mode is the best. Arrives Friday for me and I have been enjoying avatar on the pc so hopefully will give me some decent gaming.

bundylove

Full disclosure, you are not an alt account of mine before anyone says that :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Lol

Full disclosure, i was dormant the last few years but was always watching🧐

I've seen the good the bad the ugly andthe beautiful members of the green rat gang.

Catlady was by far the worst. Rikhy was fun.
And you bring a lot of value.

Thats all. Nothing more.

Its 100% on the lighting. If it was the ingame model's fault it would look hideous the whole time, which isnt the case

720p in performance mode is just OOF

Massive graphics team is very talented. Problem is the rest of the studio.
The lighting made her teeth crooked in high detail and gave her a butt chin, a different jawline, a crooked witch nose, and a horrendous haircut? Who are you trying to convince? Us? Or you?

Last edited:

Hugare

The lighting made her teeth crooked in high detail and gave her a butt chin, a different jawline, a crooked witch nose, and a horrendous haircut? Who are you trying to convince? Us? Or you?
Convince you? lol

Just saying that lighting can make stuff look wonderful or hideous, even in real life. Saw shots of the character model looking fine, more than fine even. And in others looking like Jabba.

Have they used different models? No.

So use your brain. Its the lighting.

H78ME8F.jpeg

Mr Moose

Lol

Full disclosure, i was dormant the last few years but was always watching🧐

I've seen the good the bad the ugly andthe beautiful members of the green rat gang.

Catlady was by far the worst. Rikhy was fun.
And you bring a lot of value.

Thats all. Nothing more.
A dog person, huh?

shamoomoo

It’s fine if you don’t want to hate on the game, I get it, but don’t try and gaslight everyone that has functioning eyeballs. The character model is objectively fugly. And it’s not mean to say so. The only people that should be offended by this are the unskilled ones that created and animated the model.
Maybe,but was the female lead supposed to be like her game model 1-to-1? Because the comparison shows the game model and the real life actress look similar just not alike.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
series X gets slightly higher frame rate advantage and series S isn't total shit!? did I go through a alt universe?

I dont know man.

I am already pissed when i see 1/3 of my 85 inch tv covered in black bars when watching movies

I dont want my games to look like that either.

Full screen for me
Yeah. That's also annoying. There should be full screen and black bar wide screen options for people that like both (for movies). But there aren't any black bars on games when ultrawide is properly supported.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
PS5 40 the way to go.

Can’t wait to make fun of this fugly ass bitch as I play.

Wild thing? No one knows the in game characters name lmao.

Fbh

Gold Member
Lol 720p, as if I needed another reason not to play this.
I guess at least there's a less terrible 40fps mode

It has RT even in performance mode? what's the logic in that? have some nice lighting whatever and the rest in 720p-1080p? will wait like Jedi Survivor were it also had RT in performance mode and looked like crap before they patched it out.

Convince you? lol

Just saying that lighting can make stuff look wonderful or hideous, even in real life. Saw shots of the character model looking fine, more than fine even. And in others looking like Jabba.

Have they used different models? No.

So use your brain. Its the lighting.

H78ME8F.jpeg
that's pretty damn amazing. thanks!...

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I dont know man.

I am already pissed when i see 1/3 of my 85 inch tv covered in black bars when watching movies

I dont want my games to look like that either.

Full screen for me

The worst thing is, it doesn't even afford you a wider field of view.

Death Stranding's Directors Cut has a similar ultra wide screen option, but that game actually changes the FoV to accommodate.

This is just useless.

It seems that as a new user i can't yet edit my posts, just wanted to add that i wish for something like this added in the future: https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfo...performance-mode-we-should-have-had-at-launch

Removing RT also improves image quality in that native rendering resolutions increase, which also serve to diminish some of the tell-tale artefacts of FSR 2 upscaling. There's still some artifacting in motion and some substantial aliasing, so I don't mean to say that the game is perfectly smooth when playing. But around previous trouble spots - like around the legs of the player character while running - Jedi: Survivor resolves a better image.

Survivor was in kinda similar state at launch.. RT even it performnace mode which resulted in low res and lower then 60fps, hopefully it can be done in this as well.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Survivor was in kinda similar state at launch.. RT even it performnace mode which resulted in low res and lower then 60fps, hopefully it can be done in this as well.

Survivor was in a much worse state than this at launch. This game is close to 60 in the Performance mode most of the time.

Jedi's performance was much worse by comparison.

Survivor was in a much worse state than this at launch. This game is close to 60 in the Performance mode most of the time.

Jedi's performance was much worse by comparison.
No shit JS was fucking dire even in quality mode when I played at launch. It dropped to the teens during that one body of water in Kobah and again during an indoor brawl late in the game.

CLW

Im to the point now that if a console game goes in on RT and does not give me the option to completely turn it off I will not buy.

I would rather have higher resolution and more fps

adamsapple adamsapple advice for next time around…When making a DF thread about a controversial game, make two threads at the same time, one about a random recent article on the controversy topic, and one about the graphics. That way you can hopefully attract the threadkiller bees to the right flowers.

Top Bottom