• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Xbox Scorpio

Widge

Well, they said Turn 10 ported FH6 easily, and that it ran at 4k, 60fps and with a good chunk of power yet left to be used. So I guess it's safe to say most games current gen could run 1080p 60 fps without much effort.

From the article on the topic of third party titles:

Microsoft says that while the porting work will be more involved, these too should hit native 4K.

More involved = more effort.

seriously. Please tell me your joking

I mean, look at the poster's tag. That should tell you mostly what you need to know.

I will say one thing though, this was an incredibly effective method in unveiling this sort of incremental console upgrade. Especially compared to the PS4 Pro's terrible conference and the clusterfuck afterwards. This way, MS gets way more control and can push out things like Jaguar Evolved and 65% utilization (which doesn't particularly mean all that much in and of itself).

Mascot

This will sit nicely under my new 65" KS9000 for 4k lounge gaming and double up as a UHD BR player. The PS pro can remain upstairs hooked up the racing cockpit. Sorted.

Glad I only briefly dipped my toe into Bone ownership if I've now got a nice thick catalogue of cheap games to plough through up-rezzed and with better performance.

El_Chino

So this thread and downplaying is going as expected.

The custom jaguar with built in with DX12 sounds really interesting. It's a bit disappointing that it isn't anything else but jaguar but it will be interesting to see what that performance update will look like.

I was NOT expecting that high of a GPU clock on Polaris tech. I was expecting a downclocked Vega but I guess that would've made it more expensive. That and the cooling sounds very impressive.

12 GB GDDR5 at 326 GB/s is insane. Its nice to see 3GB more dedicated to game, it should make a noticeable difference.

I'm Day One.

5xaOcLDE64VMF4LqqrK.gif

My OG Xbox One is on the trade block

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
Is I7 7700k + 1080ti powerful enought to run Nier/Ghost Recon at Ultra 4k/60fps or even 30 fps? From the benchmark Nier need 1080 for Ultra 1080p/60fps right?
4k/60fps Ultra seems not easy.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
I'm curious as to what people think DX12 baked in actually means. Sounds a bit 'power of the cloud' to me. Chips have have DX12 'baked in' now for years on PC

Fucking hyped! More RAM for 4k texture streaming! I guess i did not know some games are ouputting 4k resolution but their textures are still set on low or something of the base standard.

That Vapor cooling sounds so cool. Internal power supply and the inputs are the same as xbox one 2 so HDMI IN is still avail!

From what I've seen so far, there is some evidence that Scorpio's true 4K performance could pose a challenge to the likes of Nvidia's GTX 1070 and AMD's Fury X-class hardware. I

LETS FUCKING GO!!!! comparable to the GTX 1070!? Wooo Lawday, gimmie a towel please.

Part of Microsoft's commitment to the 1080p user is that super-sampling is mandated - if a Scorpio title runs at a higher resolution, it must downsample for full HD screens. Similarly, in-game frame-rates must be the same or faster than standard Xbox One titles. Hopefully we'll actually see smoother performance.
With Scorpio, all game modes - resolution, performance or otherwise - must be available to all users regardless of the display the console is attached to.

Aw yis - good job looking out for the people who have 1080p sets.

with the goal that any 900p or better title would be able to easily run at frame-rate at 4K on Scorpio.

aw yis. awww yeah. im loving this.

1tb harddrive at 50% faster - :D

Sulik2

This seems like very solid hardware with some smart design decisions, its all kind of pointless since microsoft is dramatically lacking in 1st party games right now. They better blow the doors off at E3 with new IP or some great hardware is going to be pointless.

Sony is done.

Urgh.

In other news, given the vast majority of console buyers don't buy the vast majority of exclusive games other than big tentpole things (hello 1 million Nier sales, hello 50+ million PS4s), MS could score a lot without investing one iota in any new exclusive games by marketing Scorpio as a mega powerful, and not mega expensive, OMG NOO EXPERIENZ thing.

They won't, cos 'premium', but eh.

18-Volt

I can't wait to play Cuphead on this thing.

No joking, Cuphead is my most anticipated Xbox game. Been meaning to replace my old launch day Xbox for 4K Bluray drive, this is a perfect opportunity.

I don't understand something and maybe someone more techy can help me out.

DF says that because DX12 is (built in?) that they will be able to something (not sure the benefit) in 10 to 12 processed instead of 1000s. What does that mean and how will it affect my games? The presenter seemed pretty impressed by how they did it so I'd like a little more info on it.

No one knows until we actually see it in action.

Kssio_Aug

seriously. Please tell me your joking

For real. I think it's obviously he is joking... people joke about loving him, Yoshi, and others figures all the time, specially during such events. I wish people would stop nitpicking these reactions as they really meant something sick.

The bit about "simulating hardware with current games running on it, to find bottlenecks and how they could be tweaked/eliminated" was really interesting.
Wonder if this is standard practice nowadays, seems clever and sophisticated, if you can't change the core cpu/gpu/ram specs.

If this ends up at a price point that reflects the power advantage over the PS4 Pro (meaning, it's not better "value" for the performance gain), then I'd say Microsoft still has the better message here with "this thing is really "custom" and more sophisticated in it's design ...not just the old system with a second gpu bolted onto it".

Not sure if it really keeps people from going "PC" if they stick with "play anywhere" and improve Win10's Xbox platform integration.

Outrun

This will sit nicely under my new 65" KS9000 for 4k lounge gaming and double up as a UHD BR player. The PS pro can remain upstairs hooked up the racing cockpit. Sorted.

Glad I only briefly dipped my toe into Bone ownership if I've now got a nice thick catalogue of cheap games to plough through up-rezzed and with better performance.

Lucky devil.

Don't forget the FM7.

skyfinch

Its a racing game, you sound like Nintendo fans saying look Mario Kart runs at this resolution, Zelda will be 1080p60 lol.

Remember Wipeout was 1080p60 on about 1/3 TF in 2008 !

Scorpio or Pro could not run Witcher 3 or any game like that at 60 FPS with Jaguar, secret sauce or not IMO

Let me know when a mario kart game is on the same level, spec wise, as a forza game then we'll talk.

ironcreed

Banned
The additional processor that is essentially DX12 in hardware is pretty insane.

Also, the fact they have a god damn vapor chamber in a console is crazy.

Yep. People throwing off on the upgraded Jaguar are forgetting the rest of the story with the DX12. They thought this out and are not stupid.

MikeBison

Like whilst 8GB available for games is fantastic, and I have no doubt that the exclusive games will utilise that.

But for 3rd parties, are they going to utilise it when their biggest install base by a huge margin is the PS4? Not likely.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
  • 36 CU vs 40
  • 2.1Ghz vs 2.3
  • 8GB GDDR5 v 12
  • 1 year after the Pro's launch.

I know they have some kind of dedicated chip that handles Direct x12 functions, but i just dont see it going over $399 with those specs. RAM is the only thing that got a major upgrade but again, Sony had 8GB GDDR5 RAM 4 years ago in a $399 box. It's not that hard to believe that 12GB can be included in a $399 box along with a jaguar CPU and a 480x that retailed for $200 last year.

Now if it had a zen CPU or a Nvidia GPU then we might be looking at $499. Right now, it's basically the PS4 Pro with higher clocks and better cooling tech.

Your forgetting UHD player will add to the cost
Until we get what MS has it as the price point, no way this comes at $399.99 unless MS making it back with accessories quickly
$449 looks like an OK price, $499 will be a rough price point

Remember Sony can drop Pro -$50, to $349.99
So MS has to keep it balanced, I mean $150 extra to play X1Pro-er on the holidays might not look enticing to the public at large while the PS4Pro looks way cheaper almost "bargain"
Lord help if Sony goes PS4Pro Holiday Bundles at $349.99 or Double pack in for $399.99

dmix90

Yeah it's a $399 machine.......if more they are fucked up.

DX12 stuff in hardware and offloading part of this weak CPU workload to that sounds exciting though.

Gestault

I think seeing that they met or exceeded the originally announced specs is a good sign, especially after seeing [1] the amount of doubt at the time of reveal that the results would match the pitch (in form or spirit), and [2] that the early shots of the motherboard really were representative of the final engineering. I had no clue how far along they were, and marketing renders are pretty common.

My hope at this point is that they standardize the software improvements the way they've announced they will across the board. My PC is enough more powerful than this that I'm not exactly in the market for a new console, but if they pull off the implementation, that's gonna be the best set-top box out there.

Now—price? On to E3...

Top Bottom