• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Xbox Scorpio

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Won't be a dollar over $399. As I've been saying since last June.
People don't wanna listen. It's like they actually want to spend more money on this console for some reason lmao. The specs today pretty much confirmed that $399 launch price.

jelly

I guess the customisation that has gone into it could lead to the price going beyond $399. It sounds like a lot of thought has went into the design rather than just an upclock.

Yjynx

It seems to be 'better done' than the PS4 Pro regarding improvements under the hood, and the GPU looks to be really more powerful. But it also releases a year later and looks to be more expensive than the PS4 Pro. It's mostly marketed at X1 owners who really want the upgrade, or people-with-money-to-spare in general.

No way. The extra ram, the higher clocks, better cooling(by the sound of it), all of these things are designed around a reasonable increase in performance. It's basically a value priced gaming rig. The PS4 Pro is as well. When it launched, which will have been 1 year prior to the launch of this machine, it as well was a value priced gaming rig for the parts available. But in terms of performance, with the parts in here, the performance should be reasonably noticeable.

Okay..... 8GB available for games though.

I don't see anything special... I kind of expecting something..... more..? as the rumour $499 price point....

Not really interested then, though I think it would be a great upgrade for existing X1 owner.

Trago

Well, on the one hand, fucking finally. On the other, do I really want to congratulate anyone for finally accomplishing in 2017 what I expected to happen in 2006? (Referring to the AF)

Overall, console technology was far more exciting last gen. Not necessarily better, but way more exciting.

Yeah, I seem more impressed with what's happening on the software end. Console specs aren't gonna really compete with high end PC's anymore, and Sony/Microsoft damn sure aren't gonna do anything crazy like with the PS3.

Just incremental graphical upgrades every few years, which is totally fine for console players who care about that sorta thing.

AP90

So $399.99 or $449.99

$499 if I can trade in my Xbox One 500gb to make it $399 lol.

I think either way I'm in.

Lima

2.3GHZ Jaguar? Looks like that "everything's 60fps" dream is dead. That's going to be one hell of a bottleneck going forward, secret sauce or not

This dream was never even alive lmao.

If frame rate is that important it you the PC is over there waiting for you.

It's essentially what Sony did for the Pro except Microsoft FIXED all the complaints:

- Has a 4k Blu-ray drive
- ALL Games will supersample if using 1080p
- Forced 16x AF eliminates the crappy texture filtering
- It applies these fixes to older games and even Xbox 360 games
- 12GB RAM with 4GB reserved for OS, meaning games get a nice 8GB to play with

If they can get it out for the same price as a Ps4 Pro, Microsoft can eat that loss for a while to get this machine out there.
My worry would be the sales pitch for this. I reckon it'll do well with upgrades from existing users but with Sony having their first party library (and a new GOW, TLOU and GT coming out), having the most users and a likely drop in Pro price I think its not wise to eat into profit on a console that may not sell like hotcakes.

I mean, I want them to because £350 would be an instant buy from me and it would replace my Pro as my next upgrade but I just don't think its wise. If it sells for this price it should be because MS can make money on it.

shanew21

Well, Forza 6 running at 4K60 w/ at 65% GPU says no...?

Not everything is as well optimized as Forza, though.

Here's the really crazy part. According to the article, Forza uses 90% of XB1's GPU when running at 1080p. So with no optimizations whatsoever, they increased the resolution by 4x and dropped the utilization by like 40%. I have no idea how they did that. That's insane.

Gator86

whoo.png

I don't need this system but I can already feel myself caving.

Yeah, the screens look great but this is first console I can recall where I know there's literally no chance of me picking one up. I've got a Pro where all my friends are and a vanilla Bone already. I'd be better off just dumping that cash into a Switch and a couple games.

Jumeira

Banned
Lots of people in denial, they're willingly distorting facts to themselves and ignoring info by experts as to why this is a huge step up from Pro (and a huge step up for console architecture in general)

Bsigg12

The additional processor that is essentially DX12 in hardware is pretty insane.

Also, the fact they have a god damn vapor chamber in a console is crazy.

Acheteedo

Looks good, I guess I'll be jumping ship in terms of multiplatform games later this year, still glad I got my PS4 Pro, has been good for VR and some semi-4k gaming. Time to dust off the old Xbone controllers.

I'll give MS credit on the optimizations they've made. It's definitely powerful though not outside the realm of what could have been expected for a console releasing late 2017. Jaguar is still a disappointment and while the optimizations will carry it a while longer, it's still a weak point. Forza 6, while impressive, isn't really that crazy. If Forza 6 is using that much of the gpu at 4K 60fps, you damn sure aren't getting games like Witcher 3 running at 4K 60fps. Price will be a big factor as well.

Now where is Mr. "I talked with people at E3 and was told Zen is a sure thing" Senjutsusage?

mocoworm

seriously. Please tell me your joking

Haha. I am joking. I don't actually love Phil Spencer.

I am 100% a day 1 purchaser though. This is a beast of a console that will enhance my entire existing library as well.

I held off on the PS4pro and stuck with my PS4 to wait for Scorpio. Now I know it will deliver I am very happy to buy.

I had a suspicion it would be much more, as I posted yesterday, but just because it isn't doesn't make this any less of a great reveal. Like the article says, 'it has the PS4Pro licked' in terms of hardware and performance.

They have just taken multi-plat performance lead for the next 2 or 3 years.

Can't wait for E3 !

iswasdoes

People don't wanna listen. It's like they actually want to spend more money on this console for some reason lmao. The specs today pretty much confirmed that $399 launch price.

Even though, the spec experts in the article say otherwise? You know better?

Kssio_Aug

Need to see some games on this thing now. Someone in this thread claimed 1080 60 should be easy is this true?

Well, they said Turn 10 ported FH6 easily, and that it ran at 4k, 60fps and with a good chunk of power yet left to be used. So I guess it's safe to say most games current gen could run 1080p 60 fps without much effort.

Man what a disappointment this was. A lot of hype and nothing else. It's become very synonymous with them lately. Can't even muster any excitement for E3 no matter how much they hype that too. And I was really excited for Scorpio. Turns out it's just a slightly better Pro.

I mean you waited so long for Jaguar ? Why not wait a year more and go for a variation of Zen or something truly beast worthy.
On everything you dumb as bricks and ignorant.

If you really expected more than Jaguar at around $400-$450 then your legit crazy.

Don't get people wrong, this thing is going to make some pretty games.

The problem is, some people were looking for this to fix the issues that popped up this gen on both consoles. Being a refresh, it's simply not going to do that.

This console would run HZD better than Sony machine. It also can't run it at 4k native and 60fps. Some people were looking for the latter.
Yeah but those same people were also expecting a $399 price point. If this thing didn't have Jsgusr we could be looking at 599 US dollars

HDMI 2.1 is certainly a big thing, if VRR support is in. It'll take some time though before we get supported TV's and monitors though so it might not matter much before next gen.

Jaguar is a disappointment, but we'll just have to see how much of a difference their Secret Sauce™ makes or if it's just Blast Processing™.

Given that this is coming Holiday 2017 I'd hope for $399. More would be a hard ask imo.

Oh, and people need to stop comparing vapor chambers to water cooling. It's like saying the heatpipe in your heatsink is water cooling. We've had vapor chambers in graphics cards for a decade now. Sapphire had one in Radeon HD 3870 in 2007. It's really not a big deal. I'm actually worried this will be another jet blower like PS4 Pro since it ditched the great axial cooler design in favor of a high speed radial fan.

dugdug

Banned
I'm willing to bite if there's a good trade-in deal *and* if it's $399.

Anything higher than that, and you can forget it, trade-in or not.

My initial thoughts:

- Microsoft going all-out is nice to see.
- 4K60 video capture. Oh yeah.
- I really like the sound of MS' analysis methods and customizations.
- Full 8GB available for games is huge.
- Downsampling across the board for 1080p sets is huge.
- Sounds like it's going to run hot as hell.

My biggest concern hardware-wise now is actually pricing. Before the reveal, I was pretty sure they'd be able to hit $399 but now I'm not so sure. It's a step up from the PS4 Pro in literally every way, not just one or two, and their thermal solution doesn't sound cheap, either.

If anything, if MS do somehow manage to hit $399, the PS4 Pro can't stay at that price without getting slaughtered.

Lupercal

Banned
gpu, uhd Blu ray,fancy for console cooling system and custom chip set. It's not going to be 399 and 499 is wishful thinking. There is a reason they keep using the term ENTHUSIAST when talking about the price point.either way it looks impressive on paper. One good exclusive that I can't play on my PC and I'm in

All Xbox One games will be on Windows 10 for the forseeable future.
Unless they 180 it.

shanew21

Okay..... 8GB available for games though.

I don't see anything special... I kind of expecting something..... more..? as the rumour $499 price point....

Not really interested then though I think it would be a great upgrade for existing X1 owner though.

Versus 5GB available on XB1 and 5.5 on PS4 Pro. So really it's 8 vs 5.5 rather than 12 vs 8.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
gpu, uhd Blu ray,fancy for console cooling system and custom chip set. It's not going to be 399 and 499 is wishful thinking. There is a reason they keep using the term ENTHUSIAST when talking about the price point.either way it looks impressive on paper. One good exclusive that I can't play on my PC and I'm in

Lol. It'll be $399. Bank on it.

ironcreed

Banned
This dream was never even alive lmao.

If frame rate is that important it you the PC is over there waiting for you.

Optimization and ease of use is important to me. I'm good. And considering this thing was running Forza 6 at 60fps in native 4K in only 2 days, I think I'll be fine.

remove UHD, sell it cheaper....

I imagine the dollars and cents saved by having a regular BR drive vs a UHD BR drive on a mass produced device is pretty insignificant. Being able to have a 4k media player as a checkpoint against the PS Pro is of far greater value to them.

nOoblet16

I just want to know if and when the PS4 Pro and Xbox Scorpio will stop getting bottlenecked by the PS4 and Xbox One respectively. I want that, but at the same time if it happens it's clear that console generations are over.
Imo hardware difference isn't large enough to be bottlenecked by PS4Bone...Especially when you consider the lack of CPU in the more powerful consoles.

Vuze

Can't watch or read the articles yet but these specs and especially variable refresh finally making its way to console sounds really awesome. Console/Xbox gamers are in for a treat.

Also lol at the downplaying or "got no games" shit in here but that was to be expected :D

UraMallas

I don't understand something and maybe someone more techy can help me out.

DF says that because DX12 is (built in?) that they will be able to something (not sure the benefit) in 10 to 12 processed instead of 1000s. What does that mean and how will it affect my games? The presenter seemed pretty impressed by how they did it so I'd like a little more info on it.

MikeBison

Can't help but imagine what would have happened if MS spent the last few years developing and tying up great games rather than than making the world's most powerful console.

Top Bottom