• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Xbox Scorpio

Asd202

It's essentially what Sony did for the Pro except Microsoft FIXED all the complaints:

- Has a 4k Blu-ray drive
- ALL Games will supersample if using 1080p
- Forced 16x AF eliminates the crappy texture filtering
- It applies these fixes to older games and even Xbox 360 games
- 12GB RAM with 4GB reserved for OS, meaning games get a nice 8GB to play with

If they can get it out for the same price as a Ps4 Pro, Microsoft can eat that loss for a while to get this machine out there.

Yeah I'm getting a simillar vibe.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Bingo. Me to a T.

This thing could be 100% more powerful than Scorpio and still be underwhelming simply because the software isn't there. Meanwhile, Sony is hitting on all cylinders with their first-party software and third-party exclusives and have some great exclusives around the corner too.

I wish Microsoft success in this business because competition is good. Although a spec bump was sorely needed for Xbox One, imo it should still be way down the list of things Microsoft should be focusing on to improve their market share in this space.

Imagining Guerilla and Santa Monica and Naughty dog on the Scorpio *swoon*

OsirisBlack

Banned
  • 36 CU vs 40
  • 2.1Ghz vs 2.3
  • 8GB GDDR5 v 12
  • 1 year after the Pro's launch.

I know they have some kind of dedicated chip that handles Direct x12 functions, but i just dont see it going over $399 with those specs. RAM is the only thing that got a major upgrade but again, Sony had 8GB GDDR5 RAM 4 years ago in a $399 box. It's not that hard to believe that 12GB can be included in a $399 box along with a jaguar CPU and a 480x that retailed for $200 last year.

Now if it had a zen CPU or a Nvidia GPU then we might be looking at $499. Right now, it's basically the PS4 Pro with higher clocks and better cooling tech.
gpu, uhd Blu ray,fancy for console cooling system and custom chip set. It's not going to be 399 and 499 is wishful thinking. There is a reason they keep using the term ENTHUSIAST when talking about the price point.either way it looks impressive on paper. One good exclusive that I can't play on my PC and I'm in

LordOfChaos

Vega was going to have ~4000 shader ALUs, right? So not exactly that part, while being more than the 480 too, something in between but closer to the latter.

vg260

So it's exactly what we basically knew since last year.
Which is an incremental improvement on PS4 Pro, which is an incremental improvement on PS4.

Exciting.

Isn't this what everyone expected based on what they were promising? What did you realistically expect for a console that would release this year?

Sounds like they delivered what they promised last year in terms of specs, but with some interesting customization to achieve it, no?

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
It's essentially what Sony did for the Pro except Microsoft FIXED all the complaints:

- Has a 4k Blu-ray drive

If they can get it out for the same price as a Ps4 Pro, Microsoft can eat that loss for a while to get this machine out there.

Not a chance of it being the price of a PS4 Pro. You will pay for the extra hardware

cackhyena

i'm not wasting my time looking up your posts. i didn't say you did. i am saying that for months a lot of people were saying this is gonna be a next gen console and not just an "Xbox One Pro".
"A lot" here means nothing. Most kept expectations in check. Most aren't surprised at this reveal, I'd say.

mcrommert

Banned
this place must be full of morons then. pretty much any topic about scorpio had people saying it'll be next gen. sounds like everyone is backtracking because they don't wanna admit they were wrong.

Check my post history...and they also said repeatedly this is a premium product for this gen...if it was a new gen the console would have been announced accordingly

EDIT: also to your point...yes it is

King_Moc

Banned
Spec sheets and talk in this thread sound good, but it still seems like consistent 4K/60 on a home console is a gen off (e.g. PS5, X2, etc). Is this valid?

4K/60 will never happen for all big AAA games on console. Most people's priority is eye candy, not smoothness and responsiveness, unfortunately.

bratpack

smart move get all the official tech/specs hype out of the way in a low key way

so communities can discuss this to death by E3 lol
then at E3 show off the actual machine with some games it's a win for MS

either way I'm happy with my pro ps4 and regular xbone won't be upgrading

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Wallpaper courtesy of Larry Hryb:

scorptech-memory-on1luudn.png

Direct link: https://xboxmajornelson.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/scorptech-memory-on1.png

lmbotiva

Now all they need is games, is worthless to have "the most powerful console" just play old games with better specs, MS needs to invest in original IP's, otherwise Sony is gonna eat them alive with what they have coming to their consoles

oti

Banned
Very good reveal by DF.

Naysayers will fling shit. And it will be countered before E3.

At E3, at the latest, we will visually see the power of the console.

You mean via demos that run on a PC? Don't use E3 demos like that.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It wouldn't be the first time Leadbetter did that job for MS.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=691569

Well, I've always been of the opinion that Eurogamer, and DF by extension have never been particularly good at hiding their biases. That these pieces contain barely a cautionary, let alone critical, word kinda gives the game away though.

Not saying that Scorpio isn't an impressive piece of kit, but honestly the front page of Eurogamer right now is kinda blatant.

Floex

Wow the hardware specific customisations are really impressive, especially the reduction in the CPU load and DX12 specific hardware implementations.

That instane GPU clock speed, holy shit.

Day 1 purchase for me. Unbelievable. Mark my words when we see this thing in action you'd have to be a blind raving fanboy not to be impressed.

Not really that enticing based on the hardware alone. I'll wait until I see some interesting IP before I jump back into the platform.

Seriously, who is in the right here? You've got one side saying it's a game changer, the other saying it's a nice but not substantial upgrade.

Super glad they got all this tech talk out of the way now. This seems to suggest that their E3 conference will be all about games!

I'm super happy with this reveal all around. Using the same power plug as the One S means I can easily swap my Scorpio and One S between TV's. Thus allowing me to use Scorpio on the TV I use most at the time. I'm also pretty gosh darn happy with the stated improvements for 1080p owners. Scorpio sounds like what I expected the Pro to be in that regard so I'm sold! No plans to buy a 4K TV anytime soon so I'd rather get max console performance at 1080p.

Is it E3 yet?

Renekton

2.3GHZ Jaguar? Looks like that "everything's 60fps" dream is dead. That's going to be one hell of a bottleneck going forward, secret sauce or not
2.3ghz plus lower latency plus 50% less draw call load plus offloaded sound processing might just put it over the edge.

Fliesen

- Has a 4k Blu-ray drive

this is not the "get it out there" machine. Just like the PS4 pro isn't. - so i have doubts that MS will price it super aggressively. I mean, 399 can certainly happen, but by then, Sony will certainly drop the pro to 349 or below.

Why are people worried about the CPU when it has DX12 running in hardware?

I think it's more trolling because it is based on Jaguar.

It looks like a more evolved Jaguar core than PS4 Pro with a very good clock speed.

The bigger performance jump will come from GPU and RAM.

djnewwest

Banned
The line between tech analysis and advertising is pretty blurry

Dark10x, I hope you guys are having an internal discussion about the implications of this reveal. Just for future analysis.

wow relax dude....... I don't think I can roll my eyes any harder.

Nzyme32

Thanks for the insight, man if it is $500 I'm gonna have to pass perhaps it is a reasonable price like you said but $400 and below is the sweet spot in my opinion for a new video game console

yeah I have heard about how the Ps4 pro is not even true 4K or whatever but this one is - for me though what's also important is the fact that the scorpio will include 4K blu ray, which for the purpose of this discussion is largely irrelevant but as a consumer it's really attractive (again hoping it's less than 500)

Yeah, everyone has their own use cases for these systems. Just as that won't make a difference to me, it's massive for others. Sure this is an incremental increase vs Xbox One, just as PS4 and PS4 Pro, but imo they've gone the right way about it assuming a reasonable price.

I think the intention will be for a whole lot of people to simply wait, which is perfectly fine and one of the great draws of perpetuity. Just enjoy the original Xbox One, then once you're ready to jump into Scorpio, everything gets better and you get reasons to go through old games etc. The value of upgrading is actually worthwhile as it is on PC and you'll get more into that ecosystem that retains all the value you invested in.

Taker34

Banned
399.99 and Im in.......any more, Ill get a Pro.

Anyone think Sony drops the price of the Pro when this thing releases?

They'd be stupid not to. Richard believes it'll be $499 so it'd make sense for Sony to drop at least to $349 to stay competitive. I mean if both Scorpio and PS4P would cost the same there'd be little reason for enthusiasts, not to purchase an Xbox. Of course it depends on the games you wanna play but the value alone makes it worth getting a Scorpio. We'll have to wait until E3 for more answers.

Neoxon

If most of this gen's fighting games didn't move to PS4, I'd be more than down for upgrading to the Scorpio (especially if it hits $400).

Akai__

Haha all these downplaying attempts are so funny to me. It's quite an entertaining read.

I'm just happy that console tech is evolving like this. We are in for a good time, just like always.

I just want to know if and when the PS4 Pro and Xbox Scorpio will stop getting bottlenecked by the PS4 and Xbox One respectively. I want that, but at the same time if it happens it's clear that console generations are over.

nOoblet16

So it's exactly what we basically knew since last year.
Which is an incremental improvement on PS4 Pro, which is an incremental improvement on PS4.

Exciting.
Yea pretty much. It's a 6 (AMD) Teraflops machine released at the end of 2017. We've had PC hardware that runs circles around it since mid 2015, it was never going to be a true 4K machine like advertised. I do feel like it'll be a sizeable jump from Xbox One though.

For someone who has a PC + PS4 this machine is completely useless. I know I'm gonna be using my PC for the MS exclusives and multiplats and if I really want to play multiplats or MS exclusives with my XBL friends desperately enough to not care about graphics then regular my Xbox One will do just fine.

Top Bottom