• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dino Crisis Released 25 Years Ago Today (July 1st)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
KxRvKf2.jpeg

The best way to replay OG Dino Crisis 1 on PC right now is Classic Rebirth which lets you run the PC version at 4K and replaces the CG files with higher quality versions.

dino-crisis-rebecca.gif

Last edited:

violence

This was a cool game. Back in the day, the youth was way more interested in dinosaurs. I wonder if it was demystified by Jurassic Park.

Last edited:
I feel like Dino Crisis was Shinji Mikami and the gang nailing his game design personality flawlessly.
If you like that or not, that's another story, because the game is quite challenging. More challenging then RE 2 and 3 combined, arguably.

But it's VERY much a Shinji Mikami game, for better or worse, depending on what you like.

Some people tend to call DC a copy and paste of RE but with Dinosaurs, but I feel like this is like saying that King of Fighters is a copy and paste of Street Fighter, but with team-based fights.

The flow of both of them is very much not the same.
And if you think you can deal with the Dinos in the same way you dealt with the Zombies, a rude awakening is coming for you.

Roni

I feel like Dino Crisis was Shinji Mikami and the gang nailing his game design personality flawlessly.
If you like that or not, that's another story, because the game is quite challenging. More challenging then RE 2 and 3 combined, arguably.

But it's VERY much a Shinji Mikami game, for better or worse, depending on what you like.

Some people tend to call DC a copy and paste of RE but with Dinosaurs, but I feel like this is like saying that King of Fighters is a copy and paste of Street Fighter, but with team-based fights.

And if you think you can deal with the Dinos in the same way you dealt with the Zombies, a rude awakening is coming for you.
I agree, the game design for Dino Crisis is much deeper and the puzzles are also better. If they're ever going to remake this, they need to keep that in mind: turning this into RE3/4 would be a huge mistake. Leave that for DC2...

Last edited:
Great music and atmosphere. I had a fun time playing it but this game isn't about shooting dinosaurs which I guess why they went hard with that idea in the second one.

Holammer

Not a fan, it's one of those games people my age elevate because we grew up with or enjoyed the games in the past. Like Twisted Metal or Parasite Eve for example. Developer thinks there's a big demand for the title because of a nostalgia fueled loudmouth minority and the sales end up disappointing.

adamsapple

Not a fan, it's one of those games people my age elevate because we grew up with or enjoyed the games in the past. Like Twisted Metal or Parasite Eve for example. Developer thinks there's a big demand for the title because of a nostalgia fueled loudmouth minority and the sales end up disappointing.

James Franco Reaction GIF

Your post makes no sense. Demand because of nostalgia fueled loudmouths? There hasn't been a new DC game in 2 decades, nor is there one coming soon, lol.

Let the fans have their day of remembrance.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

Banned

I always felt like it was the first sequel to resident evil 1 like evil wothin was the true sequel to re4

Holammer

Your post makes no sense. Demand because of nostalgia fueled loudmouths? There hasn't been a new DC game in 2 decades, nor is there one coming soon, lol.
I'm talking old properties in general and the discourse surrounding them. Dino Crisis was the #1 most wanted game in a recent Capcom survey for example, that's not representative of Capcom's current customers. That's the old loudmouths gaming the system on social media and forums.
Megaman games sell poorly, but its still #2.

Dino-Crisis-poll-results.jpg

I'm talking old properties in general and the discourse surrounding them. Dino Crisis was the #1 most wanted game in a recent Capcom survey for example, that's not representative of Capcom's current customers. That's the old loudmouths gaming the system on social media and forums.
Megaman games sell poorly, but its still #2.

Dino-Crisis-poll-results.jpg
Onimusha 3 Remake is what I want. They better get on it before they have to recast should either of the actors pass on.
ec19a5674f2e7ac2fd7e14e180500275--takeshi-kaneshiro-obsession.jpg

Unknown?

Too bad they made stupid decisions on the third one. Xbox killed the franchise but it would have not had any creative juices for a fourth judging by the third.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

Let the fans have their day of remembrance.
Yeah they becoming annoying.
Those are those "rent and forget gamers"or "complete and refund"
They don't care about a game they've already played and bitch about Remakes or Remasters and want new IP's
They claim the games was never that good and it's just nostalgia until a studio actually remakes the game and blows every modern release out the water in every department.
Then they're angry about that too.
Just ignore.

On Topic, Loved Dino Crisis
Not that much of a fan of Dino Crisis 2

I agree, the game design for Dino Crisis is much deeper and the puzzles are also better. If they're ever going to remake this, they need to keep that in mind: turning this into RE3/4 would be a huge mistake. Leave that for DC2...
Actually, I don't think that would work for DC 2 either.

DC 2 feels like a straight up arcade game at times. It's a weird game. It's great, but I have no idea what formula they would use to Remake that one.

Anyway, I agree! I hope they understand the things that set DC and RE apart when they Remake it.

Roni

Actually, I don't think that would work for DC 2 either.

DC 2 feels like a straight up arcade game at times. It's a weird game. It's great, but I have no idea what formula they would use to Remake that one.

Anyway, I agree! I hope they understand the things that set DC and RE apart when they Remake it.
Well, DC2 really was RE4 before RE4 took the world by storm. But I'd be down for them remaking it more like a Survival Horror game. Won't hear me say no to more Survival Horror!

MacReady13

loudmouth minority and the sales end up disappointing.
Much like devs listening to the woke folk who would NEVER buy the games they fight to have changed to what they want...

Anyway, please give us at least a remaster of the trilogy Capcom... PLEASE!

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
dinocrisis3-1647233367916.jpg

Dino Crisis 3: Spirit within

Or at least the movie was in fashion and they took reference.

And I always wanted to play this game, I had Xbox.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
6213dedb0de24b35ca158531.jpg

That game was awesome, I finished it like 4 times on PC.

Dino Crisis one was good, but it had too much Puzzle, but I liked that futuristic atmosphere.

Dino_Crisis_%28Japan%29-Hall_B1_Cutscene1.png

The Stig

This was a cool game. Back in the day, the youth was way more interested in dinosaurs. I wonder if it was the mystified by Jurassic Park.
100% I was big into dinosaurs (still am, really) and these 2 games were super awesome to me. In fact I jokingly referred to the RE1-3 games as "poor man's Dino Crisis!"

Plz dont kill me lol
throwgarbage.gif

Phobos Base

Just remake it already. I know there's that new JP game coming out, but it seems odd that despite how popular dinosaurs have always been, there's been so few games or films that tap into how terrifying they actually are.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Too bad they made stupid decisions on the third one. Xbox killed the franchise but it would have not had any creative juices for a fourth judging by the third.

What happened with the third one and how did xbox kill the franchise? I've never really followed the games.

Why not both ?

I mean, I still want RE1 remake (the GOAT), Code Veronica (never played it), and RE0 remake (the one that needs it the most to erase its many faults).

Dino Crisis 1 & 2, if remade as survival horrors like RE2, would be great !

Definitely should be both.

A secondary survival horror series like Dino Crisis would give the RE teams time to cook and much needed breaks between entries.

Disco Dave

We were spoiled for choice on PS1. I preferred Resident Evil over Dino Crisis purely for aesthetic reasons; the atmospheric sense of claustrophobia and dread of the creaking old mansion was fantastic.

Personally, Parasite Eve 2 is the best action horror game on PS1.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
dinocrisis3-1647233367916.jpg

Dino Crisis 3: Spirit within

Or at least the movie was in fashion and they took reference.

And I always wanted to play this game, I had Xbox.

Zoinks Scoob!

I totally remember this game bombing and being slaughtered in reviews.

adamsapple

Is that also the one with the fucked up camera?

It's the one with fucked up everything. Bad camera, bad controls, nonsensical plot, extremely terrible characters, no real connection or resolution to DC2's plot and ending etc etc etc.

No idea who was smoking what at Capcom when they greenlit it.

-

Anyway, in positive things. DC1's PC version looks pretty decent with Classic Rebirth, even supports wide-screen (but can sometimes show geometry you're not meant to see)

Screenshot_16.png

I finished the second game recently. I like the gameplay a lot except the lack of quick turn and weird targeting fails on pterodactyls. The story is a mess though. The continuity in time travel is busted and the cliffhanger ending is a major blue balls moment. Still a better game than the original Dino Crisis in my opinion. A rerelease with new game plus retaining the unlockable weapons and gear would be cool.

Top Bottom