• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 3 |OT| "If in doubt, flat out"

f0rk

AcridMeat said:
From the sound of it we'll have a strong PC community. I'll definitely be playing a while, until F1 2011 comes around.

I've been playing a lot of GT5 lately but my PS3 isn't online, think I'll get this and a 360 controller with my new PC and probably try out F1 when that comes around as well. They both play fine on controllers right?

AcridMeat

Banned
f0rk said:
I've been playing a lot of GT5 lately but my PS3 isn't online, think I'll get this and a 360 controller with my new PC and probably try out F1 when that comes around as well. They both play fine on controllers right?

I play all of my racing games with the 360 pad, works perfectly.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
-bakalhau- said:
1 and a half minute rally events, and racing events lasting 8 laps on the same boring track... Oh well.
You got all this from these videos? You should be a game reviewer man!

InertiaXr

-bakalhau- said:
1 and a half minute rally events, and racing events lasting 8 laps on the same boring track... Oh well.

Yeah, that looks pathetic. Not sure what they did to this for a year and a half from Dirt 2's release to now.

1-D_FTW

Blimblim said:
We have a few 1080p60 videos of the PC version up. Not perfectly smooth due to FRAPS, but still looking great :)
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_dirt_3_1080p_pc_videos-11097_en.html

Nice to see the game running at 1080P@60fps.

Could you tell what/if any DX11 effects there were? I noticed one of your users' comments said there wasn't any tessellation in dirt 3. From the 2 videos I've watched so far, I've noticed there weren't any flags or water (Kenya) so I couldn't see for myself.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
LeadGandalf said:
You might have mentioned it before, but what machine is this running on? Impressive framerate for 1080p + FRAPS.

2500k and a 570 , I recall reading blim saying.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
LeadGandalf said:
You might have mentioned it before, but what machine is this running on? Impressive framerate for 1080p + FRAPS.
Core I5 750 OC to 3.3 Ghz, GTX570. Driftwood who did the captures had to be very selective of what he showed though, most of what he captured was unusable due to the low framerate. Strangely a replay from the same view instead of actual gameplay was much smoother. Go figure.

Gandie

Watching the Onboard-Video: They still haven't fixed the flickering wheel when using a controller? Bummer. Or is it supposed to look that way?

mclaren777

Blimblim said:
We have a few 1080p60 videos of the PC version up. Not perfectly smooth due to FRAPS, but still looking great :)
Have you tried PlayClaw?

Blimblim said:
Strangely a replay from the same view instead of actual gameplay was much smoother. Go figure.
That's quite common for PC racing games because the hardware doesn't have to calculate player inputs or AI logic.

InertiaXr said:
Yeah, that looks pathetic. Not sure what they did to this for a year and a half from Dirt 2's release to now.
There's 2.5 minute rally courses you know, 4minute trailblazers, even some hill climbs.

Might not be perfect but they are long enough for now.

LeadGandalf said:
Watching the Onboard-Video: They still haven't fixed the flickering wheel when using a controller? Bummer. Or is it supposed to look that way?
You mean the drivers wheel shaking about as it drives? that would really happen driving over stones and mud at high speeds in any real car.

InertiaXr

Diablohead said:
There's 2.5 minute rally courses you know, 4minute trailblazers, even some hill climbs.

Might not be perfect but they are long enough for now.

I wonder if there is any chance of them porting the Dirt 2 tracks over? I'm assuming it's all same engine, and more tracks albeit tracks we already know would still be pretty cool.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
InertiaXr said:
I wonder if there is any chance of them porting the Dirt 2 tracks over? I'm assuming it's all same engine, and more tracks albeit tracks we already know would still be pretty cool.

throw the dirt 1 tracks in too :p

InertiaXr said:
I'd rather they bring over the Pikes Peak hill climb from Dirt 1. That was an epic course.

Blimblim said:
You got all this from these videos? You should be a game reviewer man!

Got it from various videos, maybe I shouldn't have quoted you. I don't see how I should be a game reviewer from what I said though, but hey hit me up, I'd drop everything for a job like that.

I think the discrepancy between events, from what I've seen so far, is bad. I hope there's some 4 minutes rally events. 8 laps is too much for a circuit race, 1 and a half minute is too little for a rally track.

To whoever said 'Juniors are out in full force' well I'm not, I already bought the game. I'm just making an observation.

gillty

Banned
Shaneus said:
Steam version should be unlocked around now. It was 2 hours just before I left for work.

Excite!
Yeah, no. :(

RjyeJ.png

AEREC

Im considering getting the logitech Driving Force GT wheel for this game...has anyone else used it for Dirt 2/3 or any other PC driving game?

Shaneus

bloodforge said:
Not playable for me either, still says 5 hours.
Ah, that sucks. Australians can play it now!

I'm still at work though, so I'm not going to be playing it for another 8 or so :(

Deadman

Im in the UK.

Did a little playing around, some benchmarks and things like that. Performance is really good, easily maxed at 60fps just like dirt 2. Game looks really, really nice. Seems to be really working the gpus, hotter than ive seen them before (still only 57 though).

InertiaXr

@everybody else above

I never played Dirt 1, is it worth getting at this point maybe during the summer sale for $5 if I already have 2 and now 3? I've seen videos on youtube of the Pikes Peak Climb and that looks awesome.

In that vein, I just bought this, does anybody want a gift pass to Dirt 2?

Branson said:
How big is the PC download off of Steam? Have to worry about that now because of the dumb ass AT&T cap.

11.8GB for me.

epmode

Branson said:
How big is the PC download off of Steam? Have to worry about that now because of the dumb ass AT&T cap.
My current folder is about 11.5 GB.

Never thought I'd see the day where Americans would have to start worrying about cable/DSL caps. I hope the providers get hit by a meteor.

Top Bottom